Disney Cruise Line bumps all people off Oct 28th cruise.....Updated:response from DCL

Originally posted by jaysue
WDWguru, that is really unfortunate

Disney once again shows it's true colours - I feel that if someone was CEO who actually cared about his/her business and reputation they would not have allowed this type of event to occur.

Way to Go Disney :rolleyes:

I agree completely, this is seems to be the way Eisner thinks lately. Money at any cost.

A friend of mine has recieved this response below from a representitve from the DCL, in regards to the canceled cruise.

I was sorry to hear that you were feeling like you had lost some of the magic you felt for Disney Cruise Line. We truly want all of our guests to be satisfied with every aspect of our operation.

While it is true that the October 28, 2004 Disney Wonder 3-night sailing has been chartered, I can assure you that we are working very closely with each family scheduled on that voyage to make appropriate alternate accommodations. We know this is disappointing and an inconvenience to those who may have booked early, and are ready to handle each situation to the best of our ability.

You may be interested to know that as soon as we learned of this potential charter, we immediately closed the sailing to any further bookings. We did this to minimize any further guest disappoint.

You may be interested to know that as soon as we learned of this potential charter, we immediately closed the sailing to any further bookings. We did this to minimize any further guest disappoint.

I love this part as if it was some bad boy in some dark corner of DCL that did the charter and the "we" did not know....

too funny

:teeth:

I actually read this as at the point said company expressed interest in chartering the entire ship they closed bookings, which would have been as soon as possible.

i.e. We jumped on an opportunity to make a couple of thousand more $$$. To bad-so sad for you......

I can assure you that we are working very closely with each family scheduled on that voyage to make appropriate alternate accommodations.
i.e. We will be working very close with you to ensure that your alternate plans will net us more $$$ than your original plans.

Legendary Disney Hospitality.....:rolleyes:

In all fairness to those who had already booked, perhaps DCL should have told the company that wanted to charter the entire cruise that they could have the first available time beyond the last date they had taken reservations. This would have been easy, as they only book so far in advance anyway.

As far as closing the sailing to any further bookings, well, duh, what else would they do? Keep taking bookings from the public after negotiations began for a private charter?

(Actually I just needed to post something so I could see my timer and verify that we leave in 8 days for WDW!!! YEAH!!)

I think I'm just upset because of the extra magic hours that have been announced at WDW beginning on May 9 --- the day we leave WDW to come home!!! Oh, well, maybe it will be a success and they will continue it and we can take advantage of it on our next trip.

Keep in mind this is exactly what they did to the people who had booked with cash for the cruise that ultimately became the DVC Member's Cruise. So this same thing was done in the past to accomadate DVC.

I hope to read they discounted these people's cruises that have to be rebooked. Has anyoen heard?

***"As far as closing the sailing to any further bookings, well, duh, what else would they do? Keep taking bookings from the public after negotiations began for a private charter?"***

You're missing the point they are trying to make. When charter interest was expressed, they stopped taking bookings. DCL was taking a chance by doing this. What would have happened had negotiations broken down & the customer walked away ? Disney potentially would have had difficulty filling the cruise.

While we all know Disney puts escape clauses in all their contracts, I feel badly for those that are truely getting screwed. But read the "Disney magic at HHI" thread. Maybe it's cash cows like this chartered cruise that allow these magical moments to occur thousands of times each year.

I know,I know.... wait till something like this happens to me and see if I still feel the same way. Sorry, but it hasn't so I truely can't say. I just disagree with the arguement that this is just a cold hearted, greedy money grab by DCL & Disney.

I know,I know.... wait till something like this happens to me and see if I still feel the same way. Sorry, but it hasn't so I truely can't say. I just disagree with the arguement that this is just a cold hearted, greedy money grab by DCL & Disney.

Of course it is all about money. Unless it was Roy or Mr. Eisner that wanted the cruise. I don't know I guess, but I have to believe it is about Money. Maybe they are doing it for charity and they can write it off. Which would be great for the people on the cruise, but in DCL's case it is still about money. JUst my opinion anyway. Maybe they are planning on making that the DVC cruise and haven't told anyone yet. Maybe they were having a hard time selling that cruise and offered it to their employees. Who knows. All I know is it stinks for the people who were planning on going and I hope it doesn't happen to often.

.... I agree that is all about money, as is every business. But if the motivation was pure greed, the DCL/Disney would not even attempt to compensate the bumped cruisers. They're not bound to do anything more then the fine print says they have too. They also don't need to bring balloons & a Pooh to a sick little girl.

Originally posted by lenshanem
I hope to read they discounted these people's cruises that have to be rebooked. Has anyoen heard?

If you check out the thread Nick linked to in the original post, several of us have posted over there with information on what they have done for us. In our case, they booked us on a 4-day cruise for no more points and gave us $100 in each of our two staterooms in onboard credit. But, we had to move our BWV stay to over a weekend rather than the weekdays we had before, and we lost our Boardwalk view guarantee. They wouldn't discount the points for us, so we're having to borrow for the difference in the weekend days, but we are on a priority waitlist to get our view back.

I do plan to write a letter to DVC to try and push the points issue. I realize it's DCL's fault and not theirs, but had we been in a regular resort room on cash the rate would not have changed on us.

KNWVIKING,

Point taken. You are correct. Disney does do the little things that brings us back all the time. Sorry about sounding so negative, it has been awhile since I have seen Micky and his friends.

All I was trying to say is that I think Disney did this to make more money. I also think they did a pretty good job of setting things straight with at least one person (WDWguru) we know about anyway(I hope they did for everyone). It just hard to believe some people are shocked by it. It all revolves around money one way or another. They want to make sure that the people who were on that cruise are happy so they will cruise with them again and make money. Now all that being said if it were me on that cruise I would be a very unhappy camper. I just hope WDWguru and others have a great time on their trip.

WDWguru....it can never hurt to sent a letter to DVC, you never know what might happen. I would cc DCL and maybe Disney themselves so everyone understands. Just thought.

Changing vacation plans is no fun, but it sounds like DCL is trying to make things right. Think of the poor CMs that had to handle the front lines with the cruise guests on this one!

As far as points are concerned, it would not bother me if DVC waived the higher points in a circumstance such as this. It would be the perfect way to help restore the magic. And with DVC and DCL both in the same operating division I suspect it could be done.

***"As far as points are concerned, it would not bother me if DVC waived the higher points in a circumstance such as this."***

I'm not certain it can be done. The occupancy of the resort is basically a mathematical formula using all the points. You can't simply add points. Now, if we're talking just a handfull of people,maybe DVC could sacrifice some of their cash ressie points. But I have no idea how many people & how many points we're talking about.

Originally posted by KNWVIKING
***"As far as points are concerned, it would not bother me if DVC waived the higher points in a circumstance such as this."***
Actually, there's no reason why DVC would have to absorb the cost of providing the accommodation. Let DCL "rent" the extra points from the DVC/CRO inventory to make up the difference between the weekend and week night point cost. There are plenty of points available from member trades, etc. and these normally get converted into cash-producing reservations.

Ralph

Originally posted by TnRobin
Keep in mind this is exactly what they did to the people who had booked with cash for the cruise that ultimately became the DVC Member's Cruise. So this same thing was done in the past to accomadate DVC.

Interesting point Robin...thanks for the info

cheers
jaysue

WDWGURU, the points accounting works out pretty well for what you got. Still, if you are in a 2 BR cabin, you'll be out likely a few more points underr the new plan than under your reserved reservation. It seems to me that DCL did more for those cancelled for the Norwalk virus but it was last minute. Enjoy your stay.

Dean, I agree it's pretty fair. We actually have two cabins, a cat 6 and a cat 11. We figure it's costing us about $150 more, but we're also getting an extra day on the cruise (which you have to figure includes food) for five people for that amount.

I guess it's just the principle of the points thing that bugs me. I would like to think DVC, even though it's not their fault, would want to help out a member in this unfortunate situation. That said, I understand it and if nothing else happens we're okay with that.

I guess it's just the principle of the points thing that bugs me. I would like to think DVC, even though it's not their fault, would want to help out a member in this unfortunate situation. That said, I understand it and if nothing else happens we're okay with that. [/B]
I don't think there's anyway DVC could do anything other than refund your points to full use, which I'm sure they'd do. They would have NO option of giving you the rooms for cheaper points. OTOH, if it was cash, you could likely keep the same rate even if it was supposed to be higher.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter