Disney could really learn a lesson from SeaWorld!!!

DisOrBust

<font color=CC66CC>Tag Fairy does tags only, the A
For those of us with Tweeners that are cringing at trying to dine at a TS at Wdw here is a link to Seaworld Menu...why can't they do this!!!
http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/swmensug.html

Appetizers

Coconut Crusted Chicken Spears $7.95
Get a taste of the tropics with these succulent chicken tenders rolled in coconut then deep-fried, and served with a grilled pineapple wedge and passion fruit dip. Makes your taste buds say "Aloha."

Caribbean Conch Chowder $4.95
All hail the Queen! - Queen conch, that is, served with delectable sweet potatoes, and fresh vegetables, and simmered in a tangy tomato broth

Chilled Shrimp and Scallop Cocktail $7.85
A classic dish with a Florida twist. Seared gulf shrimp and sea scallops with our homemade Key Lime vinaigrette served with a lucious bed of fresh greens

Pizza Fromage $6.95
Wood-fired flatbread pizza with brie, asiago, mozzarella and cheddar piled high and slowly melted over our own roasted tomato and garlic sauce

The Pizzeria $6.75
Traditional tastes with a savory smoked flavor. Our wood-fired classic is made with our own roasted tomato and garlic sauce mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, black olives and pepperoni

Pizza Bella $6.45
Inspired by the colors of the Italian flag, we created a combination of spinach, parmesan and mozzarella cheese, red peppers, onions and roasted garlic for one bella pizza

Tropical Bruschetta $6.95
Cuban bread, toasted and topped with fresh tomato, virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, onion, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, and a hint of mint

Salads

"The Great White" $4.55
Chopped leafy greens with bacon and tomatoes, tossed with our creamy gorgonzola vinaigrette, topped with fried onion wisps and served with an asiago parmesan cheese fin

Spinach Salad $4.75
Green never had it so good. Fresh spinach tossed tableside with a warm red pepper balsamic vinaigrette and freshly grated parmesan

Citrus Caesar Salad $4.55
Caesar would never believe this spin on his namesake dish. Crisp romaine lettuce and a unique citrus Caesar dressing, dusted with freshly grated asiago cheese and herb croutons

Oak Grilled Specialties

Filet Mignon $22.95
We took a classic to the tropics. One half-pound of USDA prime tenderloin grilled over oak wood, topped with a jerk-seasoned demi glaze and melted gouda cheese. Served with a fried garlic yucca cake

Salmon Filet $18.45
Eight ounces of fresh center cut salmon filet, accompanied by grilled corn and roasted poblano pepper mashed potatoes so incredible, you'd swim upstream to order it

Shrimp and Smoked Chicken Barbecue $19.95
Two favorites, smoked chicken half and three jumbo shrimp basted with our own unique guava barbeque sauce, served with roasted corn and island baked beans

N.Y. Strip Steak $24.95
Twelve ounces of USDA prime sirloin, marinated in chimmi churi, grilled over oak wood and crusted with fontinella cheese and brown onion. Served with Caribbean bean cassoulet

Ahi Tuna $18.95
Sushi grade ahi tuna loin quickly seared on our oak grill, served over our tropical slaw and finished with whipped chimmi churi and a habanero cream sauce

Moho Pork $18.45
Petit pork tenderloin marinated in Cuban moho, served with a rich black bean sauce and island rice

House Specialties

Blackened Sea Scallops $20.95
Indulge in these culinary treasures of the sea, jumbo scallops blackened then finished with a creamy tomato-citrus buerre blanc. Served with a grilled vegetable Napoleon and garlic yucca cake

Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes $17.45
Two types of crab, seasoned and blended, sauteed and paired with our two distinct sauces: a tangy key lime mustard mayonnaise, and a savory papaya cocktail sauce

Pan-Seared Red Snapper $20.95
Our fresh red snapper is pan-seared, seasoned with annatto oil and served with garlic-creamed spinach. It shares the plate with a seasoned deep-fried black bean and rice empanada

Chorizo-Stuffed Breast of Chicken $16.75
Tender chicken breast filled with flavorful Mexican sausage, in a sweet potato next surrounded by a creamed, spiced demi glaze

Caribbean Seafood Ragout $18.95
Shrimps, scallops, fish and vegetables simmered in our roasted tomato herb sauce, tossed with fresh linguine

Sharks Trio $19.95
Our culinary team has fashioned a special presentation of their finest seafood creations - herb crusted tuna, scallops and shrimp, pan-seared, seasoned with rosemary, cilantro, parsley and basil, or if you prefer, blackened with zesty cajun spices. Finished with a mango-papaya sauce

Young Adults Menu

(Recommended for ages 10-15)

Oak Grilled Petit Filet Mignon $10.95
Grilled to perfection and served with fried onion wisps, poblano seasoned mashed potatoes and grilled corn cobbette

Oak Grilled Salmon Filet $9.95
Oak grilled and served with poblano seasoned mashed potatoes and grilled corn cobbette

Grilled Chicken Breast with Orange Glaze $7.75
Served with french fries and grilled corn cobbette

Popcorn Shrimp $8.75
Tender shrimp in a crisp batter, fried golden brown and served with french fries and fresh fruit

Children's Menu

(Suggested for children under the age of 10 years)

Pasta Marinara $5.95
A plate of fresh linguine, topped with our special marinara sauce accompanied by garlic toast

Jumbo Oak Grilled Hot Dog $5.75
All beef hot dog, oak grilled and served with french fries and fresh fruit

Chicken Tenders $6.55
Tender white meat chicken, breaded and fried, served with french fries and fresh fruit

Desserts

Loan Shark Brownie $5.25
A fudge brownie and blondie duo, topped with butter pecan ice cream. Served with chocolate sauce and a warm pecan caramel sauce. Topped with fresh whipped cream

Heavenly Delight Sun & Moon $4.25
Rich chocolate mousse in chocolate cake, covered with chocolate ganache, served with chocolate sauce and fresh orange segments

Passion Fruit Flavored Flan $4.25
Rich and creamy flan with the flavor of passion fruit

Caged White Chocolate Mousse $4.75
Rich white chocolate mousse served with mango and chocolate sauce. Garnished with fresh strawberries

Coconut Napoleon with Caramel Rum Sauce $4.75
Chocolate dipped shell filled with a coconut pastry cream and served with a caramel rum sauce and a vanilla sauce

Notice the Young adult AND childrens menu!!!!

I agree that the theory of 3 menus is a good idea. Although---I certainly wouldn't be eating at Seaworld! Blech! I've had annual passes there for years and every year I get suckered into thinking maybe it's improved and try it---always a huge disappointment...at least I get the 10% off.

Believe me, Seaworld couldn't give lessons to Disney!!! The food and service at Seaworld can't hold a candle to Disney--it's not even close.

I like it!! My 11 y.o. DD would be all over the filet on the young adult menu!! She loves steak, but I have a hard time paying $25 or so for her to get it!!

My DD 14 would eat ANY of the Young Adult entrees!!

Maggie

Yes, i to wish Disney would offer something for children other than Chicken fingers and mac and cheese.. They dont even offer a burger,what would be so difficult about offering a burger on the kids menu??

We thought that the Sharks Underwater Grill was excellent! My 12yo son loved having better choices from the menu. It was perfect for him. Plus the atmosphere was wonderful! And the service was outstanding. I hate to say it, but it was the dining highlight of our last trip. I highly recommend it.

DJBounce said:
We thought that the Sharks Underwater Grill was excellent! My 12yo son loved having better choices from the menu. It was perfect for him. Plus the atmosphere was wonderful! And the service was outstanding. I hate to say it, but it was the dining highlight of our last trip. I highly recommend it.
You know we are debating seaworld - with our family of 6 it is very very expensive(and we love to feed the dolphins!) But hearing this about the restaurant may push us over- My DS loves sharks and I know this might get me out of the Coral Reef! Hmmmmm.

BTW this salad is to die for if you like the components of it. I have had a taste for one for a week now.... We really enjoy the restaurant. I usally do conch chowder and the salad!
The Great White" $4.55
Chopped leafy greens with bacon and tomatoes, tossed with our creamy gorgonzola vinaigrette, topped with fried onion wisps and served with an asiago parmesan cheese finely grated.

My neighbor is server there - Karen!

We love Sea World, and I tell you Busch Gardens outshines AK in so many ways! JMHO!

Seaworld and BG are hit and miss on counter service, but so is WDW. the sit down restaurants have been steadily improving lately at the AB parks. Shark's is a great and unique place to dine in a theme park.

Sylvester McBean said:
Seaworld and BG are hit and miss on counter service, but so is WDW. the sit down restaurants have been steadily improving lately at the AB parks. Shark's is a great and unique place to dine in a theme park.
Sharks is nice but its not all that unique. The Coral Reef at Epcot has been much the same thing for 20 years now.

Have to agree that you can't compare Sea World to WDW. Also, there are restaurants that serve other than mac&cheese and chix nuggets but we would have to watch were we choose to bring our children... Examples of restaurants we've brought my DGS (who hates pastas, mac&cheese) are:

MK: Crystal Palace buffet
LTT character dinner
Tony's (kids appetizer and raviolis/pizza etc.)

MGM: 50's PrimeTime (/kids appetizer/hot dog/ grilled chicken and veggies)
Hollywood&Vine buffet

EP: Coral Reef (grilled chicken and veggies/ grilled fish and veggies)
Biergarten buffet
LeCellier (kids get adult appetizer/grilled steak and veggies/grilled chicken and veggies)
Rose&Crown (kids appetizer/ grilled chicken/bangers&mash/cottagepie)

AND More at EPCOT

Plus the resort restaurants: We've tried several of those also because my grandson will eat chix nuggets on occasion but we had to look for meals as above so he'd eat. At the buffets, we asked if he could eat off of the adult side because of likes/dislikes and everyone was very agreeable...After all, how much is a kid going to eat anyway :)

I dont think this was a comparison of Sea World v. Disney QUALITY OF FOOD. It was just to show that if Sea World can accomodate older kids then why cant Disney figure out how to?

DianeV said:
I dont think this was a comparison of Sea World v. Disney QUALITY OF FOOD. It was just to show that if Sea World can accomodate older kids then why cant Disney figure out how to?

I agree. I think the OP was just highlighting the fact that there was a "young adults" menu for those 10-15. Right now at Disney, any kid over 9 has to pay adult prices to eat (dining plan and officially on the menus). I would be all for this young adults menu. My DD10 never really liked kids food (mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, burgers). She always wanted steak (preferably filet :rolleyes: ). Since this was never on the kids menu (except Le Cellier), it usually meant that her and I would share a meal. Although of course that meant that I had to order steak for that meal. With this young adult meal at Sea World, DD could have her steak and I could order what ever I wanted!!

I still don't get how Disney thinks its right to consider a 10 y.o. adult in terms of food. I understand park admittance because my 10 y.o. rides more thrill rides than me, but food?? She might eat 4 bites of steak and a roll and be full.

Maggie

I'm the OP and THAT what my point was. My 11 yo DD can not finish an entire Steak for example. Yes some of the TS have a"better" menu for kids but it for 9yo and under!!! I personally think they are wacked MAKING any "kid" eat off the adult menu.

DisOrBust said:
I'm the OP and THAT what my point was. My 11 yo DD can not finish an entire Steak for example. Yes some of the TS have a"better" menu for kids but it for 9yo and under!!! I personally think they are wacked MAKING any "kid" eat off the adult menu.

Disney is looking to generate a certain amount of revenue from their restaurants. If they came up with a reduced cost young adults menu they'd probably try to increase the adult prices. I suspect Disney crunched the numbers and they'd rather lose the famlies that don't get their monies worth under the present rules rather than lower the price for all of the young adults.

There is very little savings from serving a smaller steak, maybe $1-$2. The rest of the price reduction is an attempt to attract famlies. Disney doesn't have any problems filling their restaurants.

lots of places have a light eaters type menu also so i doubt the profit is that bad..and if a 8 oz steak only costs the place $1-2 less than one almost 2x the size...eh, pass on the secret as to where you buy your meat ! i don't think it would hurt to include for any ages. My parents eat very little so why should they have to get something giant and waste 1/2 of it. i wish across the board they'd just cut down on serving sizes and i might actually be able to get dessert sometime.... then they could also cut the prices( might as well dream big)

I think a young adult menu is a great idea! Ds is 13 and we often share since neither of us can finish a meal on our own.

Kid's menus were almost always made up of junk food. (i.e. hot dogs, mac and cheese, fried chicken strips...) We started sharing meals long ago so he could actually have a vegetable, salad, or a decent meat selection while on vacation.

They might not have problems filling resturants but how many people walk away feeling "ripped off"? In the past (1999-2001) when I would help friends plan trips the cost of dinning was always "oh well thats Disney, expensive but it was worth it." now the same people with young children returning from WDW, their attitude has become more of "feeling ripped off." Granted I might not have a large enough sample size to proven anything but with the push for customer satisfaction being so hard I would think this would start to have some effect. Unless its bottom line run without regard to customer satisfaction. time will tell....

jann1033 said:
lots of places have a light eaters type menu also so i doubt the profit is that bad..and if a 8 oz steak only costs the place $1-2 less than one almost 2x the size...eh, pass on the secret as to where you buy your meat ! i don't think it would hurt to include for any ages. My parents eat very little so why should they have to get something giant and waste 1/2 of it. i wish across the board they'd just cut down on serving sizes and i might actually be able to get dessert sometime.... then they could also cut the prices( might as well dream big)

Even if the portion size is literally cut in half do you really think Disney pays much more than $4 pound for the cuts of steak that are typically served? edited to say I just re-read the OP. The adult portion of the filet is 8 onces. I don't know if the child portion is 6 or 4 ounces but I'd be surprised if the restaurant is saving more than $2 in the cost of the food but is discounted the meal by around $12.

Sea World is offering a discount for older children greater than the money they're saving. If/when Disney thinks they're losing business they'll consider lowering the prices, either for everyone or just for the older children.

I agree it would be nice to offer smaller portion sizes to guests of all ages. I don't think most of us would be happy to find out how little money we'd be saving. Bicker recently posted that cutting the portion size in half would probably decrease the food cost of the meal by something like 20%.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter