Disney converting hotel rooms into 'princess,' 'health' suites

There are 2048 rooms in POR split evenly between AB and MB. Each mansion has 206 rooms, so if it's only in MB, that would be exactly 2 mansions. To clarify, all of POR is getting a refurb. A rumored refurb schedule for the mansions has been leaked, but AB is still planned...we just haven't had that schedule leaked yet.

Oh, ok. That makes sense. Thanks for the info!:thumbsup2
But actually it's 256 rooms. ;)

If Disney is heading in a direction of more specialty rooms, I'm hoping that the certain other rumors will prove untrue - the ones that said in the future, we could book a level room and Disney would choose the resort. Now, it looks like we'll be given more choices instead of less. I'm not thrilled with all the changes, but I hope that this is a positive outcome of this plan.

I have read people refering that this will happen in the Mansion section of POR, where is this information or is this just a rumor?:confused3

Not a fan of the value resorts
Can't afford Deluxe resorts:rolleyes1
Have stayed all 3 trips at POR because we are a family of 5 and would be VERY upset if this means they will no longer have rooms for familes of 5.:sad2:

My girls would love the princess theme, but not sure we could afford the added cost.:eek:

Thanks for the info!

If we go to WDW next year we were planning on staying at the new AoA resort...but now that they are going to have princess rooms we may have to re-think that!

As the mom of two princess:princess: I am really excited about the new rooms at POR :yay: and my girls will be in :cloud9:

I was planning on staying at A of Animation next year, but the princess rooms have totally changed my mind.

Ditto! I bet this will be the case for many of us with princess loving girls. Very smart strategy to keep the moderate profitable for Disney.;)

Well even before this announcement we liked the Atrium Club 12th floor a lot better then the Tower Club because they had a bigger lounge and the design of the rooms. Personally I can't see this idea working with the 14th floor, so I guess we got to see what the results will be.

I'm thinking that it won't be in the main building at all, but will be in revamped Hospitality Suites in the Garden Wing. ;)

Let's see if I'm right....

We are excited about the new Princess rooms....Just wish they would have been ready for our trip in Sept. 2011!!!

After checking out the pictures, the royal rooms look much better than I thought. I was afraid they would be too garish and ridiculous, cheapening the entire Disney Princess image.

While the spa rooms at CR is a luxury we couldn't afford, I do like the idea of maintaining a healthier lifestyle while on vacation. For some people, living healthier is a daily way of life, not just while on a diet, and kudos to Disney for targeting this albeit small, but growing segment of the population.

I would love to see the CR Garden Wing revamped into family suites. Disney needs more for 5-6 people families that isn't way off of the monorail loop. The Wing really needs an overhaul. We were in the CR Tower, went over to the Wing to do laundry and it looked like an old 70's motel. I couldn't believe the difference between the two buildings and that it was actually Disney property. Anyone else feel this way about the CR Garden Wing?

I would be willing to pay extra to stay in a Beauty and the Beast room. I think these princesses rooms will be something that guests would be specifically interested in, not just getting the luck of the draw with the theme of the room.

You're apparently unfamiliar with Club Med and Canyon Ranch. There's giant business in health focused resorts.

This was not directed at me, but..

I am very familiar with these concepts. I have spent quite a few vacations at Canyon Ranch. My parents even have a long term membership there. However, it is just NOT the same experience as a WDW trip. Canyon Ranch is a complete immersion experience in tranquility, relaxation and health and fitness. It is not a spa decor room in an otherwise hectic environment. I would say the vast majority of people would just choose one or the other- not try and combine them in a Health room in one of the least restful resorts i can think of. (If they really want to do this, it would have been better suited at almost any other Deluxe, in my opinion. GF, BC, YC,BW would all make more sense to me and put the Princess rooms in the CR.)

All I can think is that this is aimed at parents whose kids really want to go to WDW but who do not want to go themselves.

I would love to see the CR Garden Wing revamped into family suites. Disney needs more for 5-6 people families that isn't way off of the monorail loop. The Wing really needs an overhaul. We were in the CR Tower, went over to the Wing to do laundry and it looked like an old 70's motel. I couldn't believe the difference between the two buildings and that it was actually Disney property. Anyone else feel this way about the CR Garden Wing?

I would love this too. i would really like a bigger space for my family of 5 without paying quite as much as two Deluxe rooms. If I could have gotten a Villa at Bay Lake, I would have definitely paid more for it if it had a W/D, kitchen and 2 bathrooms, etc. (I couldn't get it.) But paying so much for 2 Poly or CR regular rooms is not s tempting.

Our family booked a 1 br suite at CR late last year for this coming late Nov/early Dec, so it will be interesting to see these new rooms. To say we aren't thrilled with this refurb is an understatement. We liked the 14th FL because the suites are some of the biggest on property and with a tall family, we need the room.

We don't really care about being health conscious on vacation, it's vacation! Did the 14th FL need a refurb, sure.. but not this! :confused3

That's an overly simplistic way of looking at this. POR has a strong following and is a very popular resort. However, there are still a lot of people that never would have stayed there until now...and this thread has several people claiming so. So as a fan of POR, that means more crowds and since I will never stay in a "Royal" room, my pool of available rooms just shrunk.

Now it's not so bad that I am going to throw a hissy fit over it, but if they are adding special rooms to my favorite resort, I would prefer it to be something that my family has an interest in...like HM.

But I do agree with others that this feels less "princessy" than what it's being billed as.

I'm willing to bet that WDW has a far better grasp on the wants and desires of their guests and their resort occupancy patterns than either of us do, and I assume they are converting the rooms both because there is a market for the rooms (and, based on what I'm sure was extensive market research, more of a market for princess-themed rooms than for Haunted Mansion-themed rooms) and they have the capacity at that resort (because I assume they will likely convert the least desired rooms, which are most likely to be unoccupied).

You are no doubt correct that it shrinks the pool of plain rooms at POR (a mathematical fact), but I'm not sure that it will significantly impact most people's ability to get a plain room at POR during most times of the year because, in my opinion, it will largely result in a reallocation of guests coupled with a higher occupancy rate in currently underutilized rooms. In other words, I think it will lead to POR being booked more closely to capacity, as what were once underutilized rooms in the farthest section are converted to heavier usage (assuming they follow the CBR model of converting the least desirable rooms to a heavily-sought booking category), but I think most people will still be able to get a plain room except at the busiest times, when it's already hard to get a plain room.

Anyways, I find it to be an interesting theoretical conversation. I'm just personally happy to see them catering to the families of girls with Princess-themed rooms, since they catered to the little boys with the Pirate-themed rooms (and, in my opinion, even the Nemo-themed rooms, which strike me as more boy-centric than girl-centric). But since we still won't stay there, it'll remain theoretical for my family, at least.

Well even before this announcement we liked the Atrium Club 12th floor a lot better then the Tower Club because they had a bigger lounge and the design of the rooms. Personally I can't see this idea working with the 14th floor, so I guess we got to see what the results will be.

Do you think it won't work on the 14th floor based on the layout?

Anyone have an idea of when they'll start this reburbishment?

I am kind of annoyed by the addition of the Princess rooms, personally.

I think it just screws up the theming of POR.

If they had really wanted to put some effort into it, they could have used The Princess and the Frog theming and really really done it up over there - plussed up the bayou theme and the new Orleans Jazz theme - still worked the Princess theme, but gone more with Tiana's angle. It would have "fit" with the theme of POR the way that the Pirate rooms "fit" at CBW. Instead we have a melting pot of Princesses - most of which have a European bent - tossed helter-skelter into a Bayou resort. Way to screw up the theming, Disney. :sad2: And sorry, but a lame backstory about Tiana inviting her friends over for a "sleepover" isn't going to help things any.

I just think they dropped the ball on this one - another example of how they lose the magic and the beauty and the theming at the expense of cramming more Princess Marketing down our throats.

I agree 100%. The picture even makes it look like a European castle, not something that really fits in at POR.

I am kind of annoyed by the addition of the Princess rooms, personally.

I think it just screws up the theming of POR.

If they had really wanted to put some effort into it, they could have used The Princess and the Frog theming and really really done it up over there - plussed up the bayou theme and the new Orleans Jazz theme - still worked the Princess theme, but gone more with Tiana's angle. It would have "fit" with the theme of POR the way that the Pirate rooms "fit" at CBW. Instead we have a melting pot of Princesses - most of which have a European bent - tossed helter-skelter into a Bayou resort. Way to screw up the theming, Disney. :sad2: And sorry, but a lame backstory about Tiana inviting her friends over for a "sleepover" isn't going to help things any.

I just think they dropped the ball on this one - another example of how they lose the magic and the beauty and the theming at the expense of cramming more Princess Marketing down our throats.

I agree as well. I actually think the rooms look quite nice, but they definitely do not fit the theme of the resort. I think it could have fit a little better at FQ, but not Riverside.

The story is that princess Tiana invited her friends to New Orleans for a visit and made up rooms for each of them. I don't know how well that story will get conveyed to the average visitor but it's there. And despite voting for the haunted mansion room design, I gotta admit the royal theme is much more practical and I'm surprised it took them this long to do it. We don't have any kids but next visit after the renovations I'd gladly spend a little extra to sleep like a princess.

And the contemporary? Eh. I think it fits nicely with the whole future theme and the drawings look beautiful and if we had a delux suite budget i'd certainly like to see it. I'm just not in the target demographics (I own yoga pants ... somewhere ...) but that's what I love about WDW - something for everyone! And, like I said, I think it's a great fit with the contemporary theme and it's nice to see that place updated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter