Disney Character 'Plaks' by Youngstown Pressed Steel Co.

Ajax

Mouseketeer
I have a series of six 10"x 14" cardboard 'Plaks' that were manufactured by the 'Youngstown Pressed Steel Corp'. They're comprised of an 10"x14" thick cardboard background piece, with cut-out characters that are painted or colored, then glued to the background.
The characters I have are Thumper, Bambi, Flower, Pluto, Donald, and of course Mickey.

They seem to be from the pre-WWII era. Mickey is wearing a uniform and helmet, and is walking in front of a tank with shell bursts overhead.

Four of the Plaks have been colored and completed, probably by my brother, who was born in 1935.

Has anybody seen this type of animal before? What might they be worth?

Thanks!

I like you have a picture made on this board with the characters glued on. I have been trying to find out the year that I received the pictures and if for Christmas or a birthday gift. I was born in 1941 and thinking that I may have receiver it around 1943. I was to little to color myself and can almost remember my mom coloring and working on them.
Also what might the cost of these pictures have been?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Dorothy

Dorothy, my brother guesses that he colored those around 1943 or so. No idea what the cost might have been. I saw some a couple years ago on eBay, but forgot to save the search.

but these are from 1942 and prices on ebay vary greatly depending on condition. I have several that are mint in package and others like yours that have been processed and colored. They were very popular in the early 40's to make and hang in kids rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter