• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Channel Stars....

DisneySarah80

DIS Veteran
Remember Demi Lovato? From what I understand, she left the Disney Co. because she was having a very hard time there, and because they were putting a lot of pressure on her to lose weight and be thin.

If you look at the shows that are on now, almost all of the teens and pre-teens are just so thin - they look like skeletons (to me at least)!

I know that Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place) was rushed to the hospital, and she admitted it was due to dehydration. I'm no medical Dr., but unless you are very ill, and are losing fluids at a rapid pace, or if your playing a sport in very high temps, then for this to happen, you are just not eating or drinking - Especially for it to be severe enough to require a hospital visit. China (from A.N.T. Farm) is a stick, and the girls from Shake It Up (in my opinion) look almost under weight. Thats all of the people I can think of right now....

I'm sure its like this on other shows, but I don't really watch much TV, other than my childrens shows.

Thoughts?

I assume you're alluding to Miss Demi's recent tweeting about lines from SO RANDOM! and SHAKE IT UP which she said were making fun of eating disorders. Knowing Demi's recent problems, she has a real point there. Thankfully, Disney Channel responded quickly to her complaints, and has withdrawn the criticized episodes.

I assume you're alluding to Miss Demi's recent tweeting about lines from SO RANDOM! and SHAKE IT UP which she said were making fun of eating disorders. Knowing Demi's recent problems, she has a real point there. Thankfully, Disney Channel responded quickly to her complaints, and has withdrawn the criticized episodes.

Wow, I had no idea about any of that actually. I wonder which episodes they said something - With my girls, I've seen them all 5x, but I'm not really listening or watching, so I must have missed it. Guess it pays to keep your twitter account active....

PS - I can't stand So Random! It was OK when Demi was on it, but now that shes gone, I can't stand the show.

Remember Demi Lovato? From what I understand, she left the Disney Co. because she was having a very hard time there, and because they were putting a lot of pressure on her to lose weight and be thin.

If you look at the shows that are on now, almost all of the teens and pre-teens are just so thin - they look like skeletons (to me at least)!

I know that Selena Gomez (Wizards of Waverly Place) was rushed to the hospital, and she admitted it was due to dehydration. I'm no medical Dr., but unless you are very ill, and are losing fluids at a rapid pace, or if your playing a sport in very high temps, then for this to happen, you are just not eating or drinking - Especially for it to be severe enough to require a hospital visit. China (from A.N.T. Farm) is a stick, and the girls from Shake It Up (in my opinion) look almost under weight. Thats all of the people I can think of right now....

I'm sure its like this on other shows, but I don't really watch much TV, other than my childrens shows.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Oops...this is actually Keypooh90. My mom was using my laptop and did not realize she was logged in).

Actually, Demi didn't exactly leave for that reason. I don't want this to turn into a big debate, but as a Lovatic (Huge Demi fan- I've been following her/into her music/career since 2008- have seen her in concert 4x, met her twice, follow her twitter, etc.). Demi left because she had been struggling with an eating disorder and self mutilation/depression since age 12. Disney didn't exactly cause her to have these problems. She was bullied starting at 12 in middle school, to the point that her mom had to pull her out of school and home school her. For years Demi hid the pain, putting on a smile and entertaining for us, the loyal fans. She just got to a point that in October of 2010, she couldn't handle it any more and spent time in a treatment center, where she discovered that she also suffers from bipolar disorder (Which explains her tweeting about late night workouts). Demi made the decision to focus on her music, because music had always been healing for her and had been her greater strength. She felt that being on television and behind the camera would be a hinderance for her recovery. She still has rough days where it is hard for her to stay strong, so she got tattoos that say "Stay" and "Strong" on her wrists. She is an amazing person with a heart of gold and oh so talented.

I however am disgusted and ashamed that Disney's writers wrote a script for not one, but two different episodes of currently running shows making fun of eating disorders, but kudos for Demi for speaking up and being a voice for so many young girls and women battling eating disorders!

EDIT: Oops...this is actually Keypooh90. My mom was using my laptop and did not realize she was logged in).

Actually, Demi didn't exactly leave for that reason. I don't want this to turn into a big debate, but as a Lovatic (Huge Demi fan- I've been following her/into her music/career since 2008- have seen her in concert 4x, met her twice, follow her twitter, etc.). Demi left because she had been struggling with an eating disorder and self mutilation/depression since age 12. Disney didn't exactly cause her to have these problems. She was bullied starting at 12 in middle school, to the point that her mom had to pull her out of school and home school her. For years Demi hid the pain, putting on a smile and entertaining for us, the loyal fans. She just got to a point that in October of 2010, she couldn't handle it any more and spent time in a treatment center, where she discovered that she also suffers from bipolar disorder (Which explains her tweeting about late night workouts). Demi made the decision to focus on her music, because music had always been healing for her and had been her greater strength. She felt that being on television and behind the camera would be a hinderance for her recovery. She still has rough days where it is hard for her to stay strong, so she got tattoos that say "Stay" and "Strong" on her wrists. She is an amazing person with a heart of gold and oh so talented.

I however am disgusted and ashamed that Disney's writers wrote a script for not one, but two different episodes of currently running shows making fun of eating disorders, but kudos for Demi for speaking up and being a voice for so many young girls and women battling eating disorders!

Thank you for the information :goodvibes I knew she had an eating dissorder, but I didn't know the details.

Its good to know that her issues weren't directly from Disney Co. however to me, it doesn't negate the other people I have pointed out. Not at all saying you were trying to "disprove" what I said, I don't think you were, just saying. I think its so sad, because so many young girls watch the shows, and look up to the stars of the shows - I know my girls do....

Thank you for the information :goodvibes I knew she had an eating dissorder, but I didn't know the details.

Its good to know that her issues weren't directly from Disney Co. however to me, it doesn't negate the other people I have pointed out. Not at all saying you were trying to "disprove" what I said, I don't think you were, just saying. I think its so sad, because so many young girls watch the shows, and look up to the stars of the shows - I know my girls do....

Thank you.

I agree as well, I just wanted to point out that while the pressure of Hollywood certainly played a part in her issues, it was not the root cause of it at all.

And I absolutely agree, at least Demi is stepping up and being such a strong role model. I know she is definitely my role model/inspiration/hero. Her story is truly one of hope.

I don't know of the episodes you are talking about, but I just can't believe that DISNEY would do something like that..... Its so sad.

I heard rumors that Hillary Duff and Raven Samone left Disney for that reason. They were told they had to lose weight. I don't know how true it was though. I have noticed that all the girls seem to be very thin. Almost too thin.

I don't know anything about Demi Lovato...but I actually think many of the Disney Stars are kind of chunky.

That girl that was on Suite Life on Deck and is now on Jessie is overweight. The blond girl on So Random is heavy.
The other girl on Wizards of Waverly Place--not Selena Gomez, but her friend Harper.

The friend of Teddy on Good Luck Charlie is very obese...and "Teddy" isn't too skinny herself.

The problem is so many Americans (and others around the world) have gotten obese that it's skewed our perception of what is "too skinny" and what is "normal".

I heard rumors that Hillary Duff and Raven Samone left Disney for that reason. They were told they had to lose weight. I don't know how true it was though. I have noticed that all the girls seem to be very thin. Almost too thin.

Raven Symone DID need to lose weight. If her doctor wasn't already telling her that, the Disney channel was doing her a favor if they were.

I don't know anything about Hillary Duff.:confused3

I don't know anything about Demi Lovato...but I actually think many of the Disney Stars are kind of chunky.

That girl that was on Suite Life on Deck and is now on Jessie is overweight. The blond girl on So Random is heavy.
The other girl on Wizards of Waverly Place--not Selena Gomez, but her friend Harper.

The friend of Teddy on Good Luck Charlie is very obese...and "Teddy" isn't too skinny herself.

The problem is so many Americans (and others around the world) have gotten obese that it's skewed our perception of what is "too skinny" and what is "normal".:thumbsup2

Phew...Glad you said it and not me!:lmao:

But...I feel the same way about the girl from Jessie...

The problem is so many Americans (and others around the world) have gotten obese that it's skewed our perception of what is "too skinny" and what is "normal".

""Teddy" isn't too skinny herself." Really??? :scared1: Maybe you should take a look at that show again, because there is no way anyone could think she is overweight! Her friend, who shows up once, to maybe every other show is overweight, yes.
As far as Jesse, no, shes not a stick, but to call her overweight is not correct either.
The blonde from So Random has gained weight - she was thin the first season, and is now a bit larger. She is also 26 (around there) and just got married. Shes not the pre-teen she is supposed to be playing! :lmao:

So yes, you have picked one (maybe two) people on Disney that are not sticks - What about the others that have been mentioned? The girls from Shake it Up and A.N.T. Farm? And the others that have also been mentioned? These are the stars of the show that are being showcased.

I don't want to post it, but if you google Bridgit Mendler bikini, you see just how "obese" this girl is.... :lmao::rotfl2:

ETA - I will agree that Americans have a messed up idea of what the female body is supposed to look like... But it goes both ways.

""Teddy" isn't too skinny herself." Really??? :scared1: Maybe you should take a look at that show again, because there is no way anyone could think she is overweight! Her friend, who shows up once, to maybe every other show is overweight, yes.
As far as Jesse, no, shes not a stick, but to call her overweight is not correct either.
The blonde from So Random has gained weight - she was thin the first season, and is now a bit larger. She is also 26 (around there) and just got married. Shes not the pre-teen she is supposed to be playing! :lmao:

So yes, you have picked one (maybe two) people on Disney that are not sticks - What about the others that have been mentioned? The girls from Shake it Up and A.N.T. Farm? And the others that have also been mentioned? These are the stars of the show that are being showcased.

I don't want to post it, but if you google Bridgit Mendler bikini, you see just how "obese" this girl is.... :lmao::rotfl2:

ETA - I will agree that Americans have a messed up idea of what the female body is supposed to look like... But it goes both ways.

Sorry, but no. That girl "Ivy" from Good Luck Charlie is not "overweight". She is obese. Most likely "morbidly obese". See, Americans have such a skewed perception of weight that we see people who are DANGEROUSLY obsese as merely "overweight".

I haven't seen pictures of Bridgit Mendler in a bikini, I'm merely going by what I have seen in the show. Photos can be photoshopped, but it's tougher to photoshop an entire tv series....

I agree that the shake it up girls and the girl from ANT Farm are not overweight.

I don't see why the "so random" girl being 26 and married makes her "not overweight"?:confused3

Sorry, but no. That girl "Ivy" from Good Luck Charlie is not "overweight". She is obese. Most likely "morbidly obese". See, Americans have such a skewed perception of weight that we see people who are DANGEROUSLY obsese as merely "overweight".

I haven't seen pictures of Bridgit Mendler in a bikini, I'm merely going by what I have seen in the show. Photos can be photoshopped, but it's tougher to photoshop an entire tv series....

I agree that the shake it up girls and the girl from ANT Farm are not overweight.

I don't see why the "so random" girl being 26 and married makes her "not overweight"?:confused3

Yes, the friend from Good Luck Charlie is obese. I never said she wasn't. What I did say is that she is not a main character on the show. Shes like "the token fat kid" that they throw in there. I know thats really rude, and not a nice thing to say, but its the truth. And as the title says, Disney Channel Stars - A girl that is on the show once or twice every other show or so, isn't going to make the impact that that a star will.
As far as the So Random girl, I wasn't trying to say that being older and married makes it OK to be fat (not that she is), just stating that shes not the "kid" shes supposed to be. No real point to it.
To say: "I agree that the shake it up girls and the girl from ANT Farm are not overweight." - Really? Come on.
And as far as how you see Bridgit Mendler.... All I can say is take a look again....

ETA - Not everyone on all the shows looks to be under weight, but several (to many) of them do. Most of the shows my 5 & 6 year old DDs watch, the kids on the shows are very thin to underweight looking to me. Whether these kids are just naturally very thin, or if they are being pressured to be, you can't tell by just looking. However, with the track record that has been documented (Raven, Hillary, Demi....) there is a good chance that something "fishy" is going on here. Just my two cents.

Yes, the friend from Good Luck Charlie is obese. I never said she wasn't. What I did say is that she is not a main character on the show. Shes like "the token fat kid" that they throw in there. I know thats really rude, and not a nice thing to say, but its the truth. And as the title says, Disney Channel Stars - A girl that is on the show once or twice every other show or so, isn't going to make the impact that that a star will..
Ok...so she's not a "star." I don't follow the show too closely so I don't know exactly how often she's on, but it seems like she has been on most of the episodes that I have seen...but like I said, I don't follow it too closely so maybe I've only seen the 50% that she's been on.:confused3

As far as the So Random girl, I wasn't trying to say that being older and married makes it OK to be fat (not that she is),.
She is! I'm not trying to be mean, but she is.

just stating that shes not the "kid" shes supposed to be. No real point to it.
To say: "I agree that the shake it up girls and the girl from ANT Farm are not overweight." - Really? Come on..
I'm confused.:confused3 Now, are you saying they ARE overweight? They aren't.

And as far as how you see Bridgit Mendler.... All I can say is take a look again....
Like I've said, I've never ogled her in a bikini. I'm only going by how she appears on the show. Is she at least 18 years old yet?:lmao: I would feel a little creepy looking for bikini pics of underage girls on the computer, to be honest!

ETA - Not everyone on all the shows looks to be under weight, but several (to many) of them do. Most of the shows my 5 & 6 year old DDs watch, the kids on the shows are very thin to underweight looking to me. Whether these kids are just naturally very thin, or if they are being pressured to be, you can't tell by just looking. However, with the track record that has been documented (Raven, Hillary, Demi....) there is a good chance that something "fishy" is going on here. Just my two cents.

Maybe the shows my kids watch are different than the ones your girls watch. They never watched the Demi one...or the Hillary one...The ones they watch, I see an abundance of overweight teens--whether they are the "stars of the show" or merely background characters, it seems the majority are at least somewhat overweight.

So the whole perspective thing got me thinking and I have too much free time on my hands this morning so I decided to do a little google search on some of the better known stars. I googled height/weight and found a bmi calculator. So this isnt a "I think she's too skinny vs No she's fine, Americans are too fat kind of thing." Unfortunately I couldnt find a weight for Teddy's best friend because it would have been interesting to compare. But here's the bmi of some of these girls. Keep in mind a healthy bmi is 19-25

Bella Thorn (red head on shake it up) 5 ft 70 lbs bmi 14 :scared1:

Zendaya (shake it up) 5'4 90 lbs bmi 15

Bridget Mendler (Teddy) 5'6 120 lbs bmi 19

China Ann McClain (ANT Farm) 4'8 81 lbs bmi 18

Debby Ryan (Jesse/SLOD) 5'4 108-130 lbs bmi 19-22 ( Every site I saw had a different weight listed.

Tiffany Thornton (blonde girl from so random) 5'5 124 bmi 21

So the whole perspective thing got me thinking and I have too much free time on my hands this morning so I decided to do a little google search on some of the better known stars. I googled height/weight and found a bmi calculator. So this isnt a "I think she's too skinny vs No she's fine, Americans are too fat kind of thing." Unfortunately I couldnt find a weight for Teddy's best friend because it would have been interesting to compare. But here's the bmi of some of these girls. Keep in mind a healthy bmi is 19-25

Bella Thorn (red head on shake it up) 5 ft 70 lbs bmi 14 :scared1:

Zendaya (shake it up) 5'4 90 lbs bmi 15

Bridget Mendler (Teddy) 5'6 120 lbs bmi 19

China Ann McClain (ANT Farm) 4'8 81 lbs bmi 18

Debby Ryan (Jesse/SLOD) 5'4 108-130 lbs bmi 19-22 ( Every site I saw had a different weight listed.

Tiffany Thornton (blonde girl from so random) 5'5 124 bmi 21

Wow, I had no idea that you could find someones height/weight on the internet - That seems so wrong, especially since these kids are so young!!! But anyway, thank you for fnding this, and showing everyone what it really is.

Wow...you would fit right in on another message board I visit. A current topic is "If you are a size 6 or above, you are obese". :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter