• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Castaway Cay 5K...

cctimmom

Mouseketeer
Do you need to be an experienced runner, or run the 5K in x amount of time?

How do you sign up?

Do they have water stations along the way?

Anything else I need to know?

-- signed a total-non-runner but is intrigued and considering it...

Im with you. I do exercise and do classes and although I do about 8-10 miles on the elipictical and half that on the treadmill I dont necessarily run. I think I can do 3 miles but would also be interested in what time this started since would want to spend the day at CC with my family.

Do you need to be an experienced runner, or run the 5K in x amount of time?

How do you sign up?

Do they have water stations along the way?

Anything else I need to know?

-- signed a total-non-runner but is intrigued and considering it...
You need not be an experienced runner, nor do you need to run the 5K in a prescribed time. Think of it as a "fun run." There will likely be experienced racers there, as well as those who are just beginning their running journey and who want a small-scale, low-threat race. The Navigator will have all the info you need, but essentially, you just show up at the designated time and area. On my last cruise, they had all the runners gather outside the ship, then they walked en masse to race start.

As for water stations, they do not have any along the path though water is available at the finish. The route is an out-and-back and unless they've changed the route, you start near bus stop where you catch buses to the adult beach, and then head down the old airstrip in that direction. Part way down, you turn into main bike riding loop that circles around and comes back to the airstrip. At that point, you hang a right and continue toward the adult beach where you will turn around and come back the way you came to include another loop around the bike trail. Given that you run predominantly on tarmac, the heat of the sun makes that surface reflect a lot of heat. Hydrate well before the race. You can carry a bottle of water with you, too.

One last note about the bike loop: it twists and turns. . .a lot. In essence, you're going in a big circle (about a mile one way)--it's not one long, continuous arc, but rather a series of "S" turns which tends to make one feel isolated despite other runners and a few cyclists on the course. My strategy for the tedium during that section is to either concentrate on the people ahead of me, trying to keep them in sight, or to increase the distance between myself and those behind me by picking up the pace slightly around each semi-blind turn (that way, when they next see me, I'm farther ahead).

All in all, it's a very delightful race and perfect for those wanting to race without feeling intimidated. As for the time, I believe the race starts at 9 a.m. though you should check your Navigator as that time could vary slightly. Enjoy!! :thumbsup2

As for water stations, they do not have any along the path though water is available at the finish.

They've had water both times I did it last year. They have a station right at the entrance to the loop. So you pass it on your way into the loop, out of it, back into it, and back out of it.

The 5K is getting more and more official, though rules about ages of kids can still vary from sailing to sailing. One person a month or two ago did a back to back and they had different age rules on the first than for the second. :3dglasses

The main thing for YOU is to read the Navigators you get each evening, look out for the info about the 5K, and do whatever it is you need to do for your particular sailing!

And remember that even the paid rundisney races allow a generous 16 minutes per mile. Many many people can do that at a walk. The CC 5K is less strict than the rundisney races are. :)

FYI - you do need to sign up at least the day before at the port adventures desk.

FYI - you do need to sign up at least the day before at the port adventures desk.

Are they enforcing that? I did sign up at guest service on my last cruise ahead of time, but I thought they also had extra bibs at the meet up location before the 5k for people that hadn't pre-registered.

As for water, they had one of the cast members handing out water at the entrance to the bike loop, as well as permanent water dispensers at the start/finish area and one in the bike loop itself, near the tower. These dispensers are not hooked up to a water supply, but more like large water jugs in a free standing dispenser with disposable paper cups that cast members need to resupply periodically, so I suppose they could be out of stock during the 5k

This must be new. When we cruised at thanksgiving you just had to show up the morning of and register-it was in one of the lounges.

Are they enforcing that? I did sign up at guest service on my last cruise ahead of time, but I thought they also had extra bibs at the meet up location before the 5k for people that hadn't pre-registered.

I did it this past Xmas on the Magic. They allowed a few runners that had not pre-register to run on their own. No bibs though. But at the end since there were a couple of no-shows, they gave them the medals.

In the past, you simply showed up and sign up on a sheet of paper. Now it's done at the port adventures desk and you get a printed ticket.

You also must have valid photo ID for those 18 and up and your KTTW card. If you don't have them, they won't allow you to get off the ship and/or run.

There were a couple of folks that had to run back to their staterooms to get their IDs and such...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter