• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney can be soooo Cheap sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markstudy

DIS Veteran
At the Beach Club in Jan. they had turned down the heat in the main pool to save money and I got a bad cold. (I was sick for 3 weeks :crazy2: after swimming my last day of my trip, otherwise it was a perfect week :goodvibes )

Please make a fuss to Disney if you catch them doing this.
(they said it was for enviromental reasons .........B.S.)

One member on the Dis Board got a $50 dinner credit because he complained. :idea:
I wish I would have thought of this. I'm still a little mad.

Have you ever seen Disney turn a first class trip into a real cheap moment? With some of their cost cutting ideas?

Wow, I have always thougth the pools were way too warm! Guess I'll be one of those people that hopes they keep them cooler. I wonder if the coolness of the water had something to do with the cooler temps in Florida.

Just a question but could it not have been all the attractions that you went on that people around you who may have had a cold and passed it that way be the way you got sick and not a cooler pool? Ive never heard of a cool pool being a place you can get a virus.

Just wondering

That is a myth you can not catch a cold from being wet and cold. You get sick from catching a cold virus.

However I would have complained too about the temp.

SaraMc said:
Just a question but could it not have been all the attractions that you went on that people around you who may have had a cold and passed it that way be the way you got sick and not a cooler pool? Ive never heard of a cool pool being a place you can get a virus.

Just wondering

I think you are right......you can be cold in a pool, but you don't catch a cold in a cold pool....my guess is all the sick people walking around Disney and not washing there hands enough and spreading germs!

SaraMc said:

Just wondering

Good point. But I go to a very crowded health club and get sneezed on all the time... never get a cold.

Disney says they keep the pools at 80 degrees. And I found the quite pool was this warm. (almost too warm, but nice on a over-cast day)

The big pool felt more like 72 degrees. Lots of fun...but we did turn blue.
( I use to be a Life Guard at Clearwater Beach durring my college days. Us Florida people can't take-it LOL)

SaraMc said:

Just wondering

EXACTLY what I was thinking. The pool did not cause your cold - you get that from a virus, most likely from touching something after someone else who had a cold. A place like WDW, airplanes, airports, hotels, etc. are GREAT for spreading colds. :crazy2: You cannot get one from cold water or cold weather (despite what our mothers told us and we tell our kids). :ssst:

BUT - if the water was too cold to swim comfortably, then complain to management.

I know you get the germs from other people. But when your body gets wet or cold it can lower your strength, and in this weakened state, allow the germs you already have to get the best of you.

This is why you get more colds in winter.

In the summer you come in contact with the same germs but since your body is not being taxed by cold or wet you are strong enough to not let the cold develop.

PS Back on Topic. I shouldn't even mentioned the cold. Even if I dindn't get sick. .... isn't this a dirty trick by Disney? I paid full price and they tried to cheap-out on the pool. Why do you go to the beach club anyway? :confused3

Wait, you're complaining about swimming in January? January? You know, that time of year when a huge chunk of the country never gets above 35 degrees?

Seriously?

And it was a little cold?

You got a virus from germs, not from the pool being cold. From the fact that you were surrounded by a new environment, running your body like you don't normally do, eating foods you don't normally eat on a daily basis, surrounded by cold strains you don't normally encounter.

Some people will find anything to complain about. :rolleyes:

Markstudy said:
The big pool felt more like 72 degrees. Lots of fun...but we did turn blue.
( I use to be a Life Guard at Clearwater Beach durring my college days. Us Florida people can't take-it LOL)
I know the feeling, I think it's so fun to watch the snow birds swimming in the gulf, when the locals won't even stick a toe in.

Lets try again.

I went to the Beach Club and expected the pools to be heated.

Someone at Disney thought they could save money by turning down the heat
but not telling the guest when they booked the trip.

Do you think Disney trys to pull little cost-cutting ideas that can look good on paper but don't help when a guest is expecting a first class trip?

I am not even complaining. I had a great trip!
But I want the people to have a voice.
If you catch Disney trying to shave a few pennys, and it seems silly, shouldn't we speak-up?

Markstudy said:
If you catch Disney trying to shave a few pennys, and it seems silly, shouldn't we speak-up?

Personally, I'm all for Disney doing things like environmentally friendly, energy saving measures even if it does mean the pool dips a few degrees. To each their own priorities. :coffee:

Remember, a lot of hotels drain their pools in the wintertime (yes, even ones in Florida) so having a pool to swim in in January is a bonus.

curiouser said:
Wait, you're complaining about swimming in January? January? You know, that time of year when a huge chunk of the country never gets above 35 degrees?

sounds like you're complaining about northern winters. it can get quite cold here in January. that's why the pools are supposed to be heated. :)

curiouser said:
Remember, a lot of hotels drain their pools in the wintertime (yes, even ones in Florida) so having a pool to swim in in January is a bonus.

I've never seen that personally. maybe north FLA...otherwise you'd see a large amount of hotels downstate that had indoor pools as well.

curiouser said:

I am sorry you took my thread the wrong way. I love Disney beacause it is a first class place.

I thought this would turn into a fun and interesting thread :cool1:

I am sure that Disney has tried all kinds of little tricks to save money :teeth: ... I'm also sure that some have flopped :lmao: or turned into funny and or dumb out-comes for the guest?

Has anyone ever had another experiance with Disney's cost cutting?

Markstudy said:
I am sure that Disney has tried all kinds of little tricks to save money... I'm also sure that some have flopped or turned into funny and or dumb out-comes for the guest?

They probably do, just like the posters of this board have the budget section to discuss ways to save money. Personally, I would rather they cut heating bills for the pools in January if it means they can use those funds to rehab some the attractions, room furnishings and restaurants. I would also hate to see them have to cut back on staffing in order to keep the pools heated. Just because Disney is a huge money making company doesn't mean that they don't operate on a budget just like many of us (which I can see you are aware of.) If it is something that really bothers you, I would mention it on your next vacation there and I'm sure they will address it. If they have that many people upset about it, they may rework their budgeting priorities.

Sylvester McBean said:
I've never seen that personally. maybe north FLA...otherwise you'd see a large amount of hotels downstate that had indoor pools as well.

Not to start a debate on this, I've stayed at hotels in Vero/Melbourne that had their pools drained in January. Maybe it was for cleaning, I'm not sure, but the pools were totally drained.

I'm sorry that OP meant for this to be a humorous thread and it went bust, but by your original post it sounded like you wanted money back because the pools were cooler than expected. By mentioning the DISer who got money from complaining made it seem like you were after getting something for nothing. I guess I mis-read your posts intention.

Pools are very delicate little beasts. I know I have one. I also have a pool heater and getting it heated and maintaining it at a certain temp is a pain in the tush. Every time you change the thermostat up or down you don't really know the effect until some hours later. We have a 19,000 gallon pool and to heat it up in 50 degree weather takes almost 24 hours. I am not saying that Disney did or did not make the pool cooler just understanding that with changing weather its not always easy to maintain a certain temp.

Not to be a downer but in answer to your earlier comment about getting more colds and flus during the winter: well the weather has nothing to do with it, you get it from a virus not because your cold. I happens more in the winter not becauce its cold but because we are all closed in in the winter to keep interiors warm, therefore we pack into inside spaces and therefore have more contact with people than we tend to have in warmer weather, therefore we tend to share germs and viruses. Thats why the winter is cold and flu season, its not because of it being cold.

Markstudy said:
I am sorry you took my thread the wrong way. I love Disney beacause it is a first class place.
Im just curious. How do you know they did it to save money. I am 100% positive that Disney (at least no one there who knows what they are talking about) would have told you that, even if it was true. Im just saying it is very possible that the pool heating system was simply broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter