Disney buys Marvel for $4B

I would think, if approved, the characters would have to be removed from the rival park. Unless Disney would get some sort of cut or profit sharing from Universal for use of the characters.....

I would think, if approved, the characters would have to be removed from the rival park.

exactly. this is a huge shot at universal's islands of adventure. have fun riding the hulk...er, muggle shuttle... :rotfl:

I would think that Universal paid for licensing of the characters for some period of time so I’ll bet not much will happen there until that expires.

I would imagine that Universal has a contract that would withstand this sort of thing.

This is the most unusual news and if it were April 1st I would be having a good laugh right now. As it stands I'm not sure what to think. I just can't picture Disney with Marvel combined!

Anyone know how long the theming would stay at Universal? I love the Spiderman ride and everything else, I find it such a completely different place than Disney. Love both, but in different ways.

Maybe I am dreaming and I'll wake up, that would make more sense to me.

Jenn

Fascinating development. I agree there is no doubt a long-term license between Universal and Marvel. But, at the expiration of that license . . . who knows?

I'm afraid Muggle Shuttle is about right!

Universal is so bound up with the Marvel characters that it's hard to imagine Islands of Adventure without them.

I wonder when Disney will spring for the Harry Potter franchise? They've got to be kicking themselves for passing over that one.

Additionally, when will Disney simply break down and overpay in order to get control of Universal Studios, including the the theme parks?

Then we'll see park tickets rise! (Assuming Disney can get antitrust approval).

I would think surely Universal bought a lifetime licensing from Marvel that will extend to future buyers, heirs, successors etc. If they didn't they are in big trouble. But when you spend 200 million on a themed area with rides etc., I can't imagine them buying a license that would have an expiration date, being those rides may be there for the entire life of the park.

I don't like this for Disney and I certainly hope that IOA doesn't have to change at some point. The idea of the Marvel characters being at Disneyworld at some point just doesn't seem to fit well with me. I thought the power rangers and teenage mutant ninja turtles were bad enough...now we will have spider man and all those characters....eek! Best wishes for Universal....maybe they can pull something off with DC? Even though DC seems to be with Six Flags, maybe they can get something together....or maybe get more stuff with the Nickelodeon theme? What does everyone think the future holds for USF & IOA should they have a contract that expires for the Marvel characters?

I am going to side with the folks that feel Universal has some langauge in the contract to allow them to use the Marvel characters for an extended period of time. They would not pour that kind of money into something, if they were not guaranteed some safeguards.

Wal-Mart is gonna buy 'em BOTH soon, and we'll finally have a true WallyWorld.
(and tics will cost less?)

No matter if they have the rights to use in their theme parks or not. I cannot imagine wanting to promote a character your competitor now owns. I would look for Universal to shift focus strongly toward Harry Potter and the Simpsons. And start de-emphasizing Marvel characters.

Uni and Marvel have a contract that needs to be honored. When that contract comes up Disney will be be sure to hike the currents fees and licenses that Uni pays. If Uni want to keep what they have they will probably need to pay through the nose. Best part is Uni now has to pay Disney to basically keep running IOA.

I am going to side with the folks that feel Universal has some langauge in the contract to allow them to use the Marvel characters for an extended period of time. They would not pour that kind of money into something, if they were not guaranteed some safeguards.

seriously, i doubt it will result in immediate changes. i think spidey would fit in great at hollywood studios (and maybe iron man in epcot) but yeah, not in the MK.

yay for discount tickets!

(and there would be a theme park on the edge of every major metro area...;) )

I would think surely Universal bought a lifetime licensing from Marvel that will extend to future buyers, heirs, successors etc. If they didn't they are in big trouble. But when you spend 200 million on a themed area with rides etc., I can't imagine them buying a license that would have an expiration date, being those rides may be there for the entire life of the park.
:thumbsup2

:laughing:

Best part is Uni now has to pay Disney to basically keep running IOA.
How is that the best part? I hope you're being sarcastic. :rolleyes:

IOA paying Disney to keep running is certainly not in the best interests of Disney lovers. Competition is what keeps Disney improving. Without it, you wouldn't be seeing many new things happening over there.

I also think that the Marvel Comics part of the park will take a back seat to the Wizarding World. It can also be changed. Expensively, but since there is a Transformers ride using the Spiderman technology currently being built in Universal Hollywood, IOA can change to that. The other rides in Marvel Comic Island are easily and not as expensive to change. If push comes to shove, it can be done.

Eh, worst case is they would have to rename the rides and repaint a few walls. Spiderman would have to be updated as well but the overall structure of each ride would remain unchanged.

However, I doubt Universal would have purchased any sort of limited license. They probably signed a deal for a one time use for each character they use which a deal like that would hold up no matter who it was sold to. Regardless of who owns Marvel, they have to still hold up previous contracts as part of the acquisition.

What would be interesting though is if there were some sort of misuse clause in the contract. Disney could go fishing for reasons to nullify the contract.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter