Disney Budget Tips & Ideas???

elevenisnow

Themed Girl
I am taking my son to Disneyland and CA Adventure for his 13th birthday next week. We have a hotel close by with free breakfast. Any other great tips/ideas for a budget birthday trip to Disney? We are doing 3 day park hoppers at Disney and a day at Knott's so most of budget was spent on park tickets. Thanks!! :yay::yay:

Well depending on how you two are..you might be able to push through lunch with some food you bring in (pop tarts/granola bars/sandwiches..something like that) and then just get a bigger dinner. Bringing your own water in will save a bunch too.

Food will probably be the biggest budget buster since you already have the hotel/tickets planned for.

Have found these so far:

Tortilla Cove - Nachos $6.50
Tortilla Joes - Free Tortilla's on your Birthday
Pluto's Doghouse - Hot dog w.chips $5.99
Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta - Side salad $3.99
Bengal Barbeque - Vegetable, Chicken or Beef Skewer's $3.50-$3.99, Mickey Mouse Pretzel - With Cheese $3.49
Daisy's Diner - Cheese or Pepperoni Pizza w. sliced apples $7.49
French Market - Garden Salad $3.99

Hi there!
We will be ad DL next week too!!

Some of the things that we have found foor great food deals:

Corn Dog...Huge and yummy! 5.99 ( you can also ask for no chips and it makes it less)
Chimichanga these are wonderful and huge! around $5-6

Plaza Inn...Fried Chicken Dinner. This comes with 3 pieces of chicken, mashed potates, green beans and a biscuit. You can easily share this!
We always ask for two breasts and double mashed then an extra plate and always share. This is around $14 but well worth sharing. Also you can ask for a la carte there. I get a chicken breast and just mashed potatoes and its around $6.00 . Water is free!!
Rancho del Zocalo...The portions are huge and easy to share. We love the enchilada platter or the Taco platter.

For dessert:
Main Street Cone Shop...Ice cream cookie sandwich $4.99, two fresh baked chocolate chip cookies served with your favorite flavor ice cream in the center. You can ask for the cookies seperate. This is located next to the lockers.

Have a great time!! Food can get expensive, but there are many ways to share!!

I know it's less-than-glamorous...but when we've done "seriously budget" trips in the past, we brought in PB&J sandwiches, apples, bananas, oranges, carrot sticks, raisins, and water bottles, enough to eat twice during the day, plus chocolate chip granola bars to satisfy any sweet-tooth snack attacks.

It's funny....while we're actually AT the parks, nobody in our group really cares too much about food when we eat this way. Usually we bring in better sandwiches, but I can remember at least once, when trying to use our AP's for a 5 day trip one last time before they expired, we stayed in the cheapest hotel possible, and ate PB&J, apples, bananas, oranges, granola bars, yogurt, and water the entire trip, lol. None of the kids minded AT ALL....if they have to choose between not going and eating PB&J...they definitely opt for going and eating on the cheap.

We also have brought microwave popcorn to the hotel, and popped some to put into baggies to bring into the parks. Obviously, you need a room with a microwave to do this...and we generally pop it during our midday break, to take into the parks in the evenings, when the smell of popcorn throughout Disneyland is pretty overwhelming (and wonderful, lol).

On one trip a few years ago, I even bought cotton candy at wal-mart before the trip, and brought it into the parks a couple of nights that we were there...it comes in fantastic little resealable plastic buckets with handles, and last I checked it costs a buck. I only needed one bucket for each kid for the whole trip (it was a 5 day visit that year).

You can also buy things like lollipops and other hard candy (even chocolate if you're visiting when the weather is cooler) to bring in. I've made Tigger Tails at home before, and someday, if we ever visit the parks when it's not scorching hot, I might consider making some ahead of time to bring in.

Rice krispie treats, cookies, or brownies made at home ahead of time can all be brought in (and will save a ton of money on snacks). We always just opt for chewy chocolate chip granola bars (my kids tend to get tummy aches from too much sugar at once, so the Disneyland fare would probably send them into a sugar coma, lol). We bring in dried fruit as well, and that satisfies a sweet tooth quickly.

If you're taking midday breaks, there's a Double Deal Pizza or a Little Caesar's in the area that sells pizzas for $5 each (you'd have to pick them up, but it's not far - we did this twice on our last trip).

If you'll have a way to freeze water bottles that you can carry in an insulated backpack, you can make better sandwiches (turkey, tuna, etc.). This is what we usually do.

We get "Disney Tummy" if we don't supplement our Disney eating with a ton of fruit, veggies, and water, so we always bring in a lot of it. Our tummies always feel better if we just eat food we bring in, but it can be a pain to make that much food for 6 people several days in a row, so we usually opt to eat one meal that we bring in, the healthy snack foods we bring in, and then we eat one "Disney" meal in the park each day. The only candy or "junk" food that my kids eat at Disneyland are the Mickey head lollipops (see photo below - they cost about $5 for 6 pops). We've done the Mickey Mouse ice cream bars a few times, too (about $4 each, I think?).

Hope that helps, have a fantastic time...and Happy Birthday to your son! :)

We do the PB&J thing, too (which is great for my girls, who happen to hate the Uncrustables that they sell in the park), custom trail mix, granola bars, whales (like goldfish, only we like them better) crackers, pretzels. We have fresh fruit in the room, but it isn't my favorite thing to tote around the park (the girls favorites - grapes, strawberries and bananas - all get squished very easily). I also love my refillable water bottle with a filter in it!

My DH refuses to eat brought-in food very much, but don't get me started on him...

When we did eat park food, we enjoyed the corn dog (you can get it with apple slices), the caramel corn (have no idea how much this cost, as DH bought it when I wasn't with him, but boy was it good), the soup bowl from Pacific Wharf Cafe in CA, and thought the burger at Taste Pilots was ok as well (loved the topping bar there). Sadly, the jalepeno pretzels weren't as good as I had hoped, but it stil qualified as a starchy meal. People have said good things about the baked potatoes at Troubadour Tavern; we may try those next time (along with Plaza Inn's fried chicken). We also found the take-out places across the street on Harbor to be an OK value.

One new discoevery we made this last trip was Wetzel's Pretzels in DTD has a very yummy pepperoni pretzel. This made a good meal for us one night. We also got an AP discount there, btw.

You can also split meals with your son. The burrito at Rancho Z. in DL was huge! You could easily split that. Side note: they had clear cups and a water dispenser outside by the tables. I kept that in mind in case I needed to come back later for water.

Waterwater Snacks in the GCH, not far from the Grizzly Rapids exit, has very good food and is quiet and peaceful and uncrowded. You can split a nachos or a chicken sandwhich or hamburger (They will cut it for you). DH and I also split a new chili cheese burger from Hungry Bear and found half to be plenty.

Also, ask for a cup of water whenever you buy food instead of paying for a drink. That saves quite a bit right there.

I'm with Mugglemama and Starshine. We bring in lots of food too (but what is it with those DH's that don't want to eat that??:confused3). I completely agree with Mugglemama that the kids would much rather enjoy the park, mine didn't even want to spend time finding a restaurant, eating there, etc. They were much happier finding a little spot to sit and eat quickly (we loved the little "pier" by IASW) and get right back to the fun. To make it a little more festive for the next trip, I went to the DISign board and had some beautiful name fills made. I will print the name fills on shipping labels and put on the baggies. I also bought a pack of Disney treat bags at Party City for about $2. Target and Dollar Tree also have lots of fun things for about a $1 each so the kids can get a present each day, instead of spending a lot in the park.

We've been know to do the PB&J thing too. I always take in snacks and water as well. While it was not my favorite meal, my daughter and I had no problem splitting the burrito at Rancho and the Monte Cristo was easily enough for two when I traveled with my friend. There's also a little pizza place in the Ramada Maingate that the girls liked.

With a fridge and microwave, it's easy to have breakfast in the room. I need to start my day with some protein so the hotel breakfasts don't tend to work well for me.

We always take in our own drinks. I usually take a gatorade and a water bottle and refill the water bottle throughout the day. Saves me about $15-$20 per day.

Thanks everyone!! These are great suggestions! I was wondering what would be good snakcs to take in as well and there are some great ideas posted. I eat very little so the sharing should really work well for us when we get tired of PB&J and snacks.

Any Birthday ideas or tips?? I know to get the button so he gets lots of well wishes. Any others?

Thanks everyone!! These are great suggestions! I was wondering what would be good snakcs to take in as well and there are some great ideas posted. I eat very little so the sharing should really work well for us when we get tired of PB&J and snacks.

Any Birthday ideas or tips?? I know to get the button so he gets lots of well wishes. Any others?

If you do table service, tell them it's his birthday. Sometimes they'll sing (if he likes that) and every once in a while there's a little extra pixie dust thrown in- not to expect it, but it can happen. :)

Skip any of the Disney pre-packaged "Birthday" buckets and such. Very little bang for your buck, IMO.

If you do one meal a day I would be inclined to make it lunch rather than dinner. More fuel to keep you going through the afternoon and often better prices for similar portions.

Is there any issue with bringing food through security now? We used to bring more when we used a stroller, but switched to pocket food as the kids grew. Not much room for more than a granola bar ur some nuts. (Especially with DD's clothes!)

I believe glass is not allowed? So like jars of mayo LOL but those are plastic now anyway.

BTW! If you want to split a meal we were WAY too full at Taste Pilots (I hope I'm right on which one..the one by soarin'..with the burgers?) I could have EASILY split it with DH (who loves his food!) And it was yummo :)

This is my new favorite thread. I love this board!!

No issues with food. We saw lots of go it (sandwhiches, ect) through security in the days we were there. We always bring a backback with one water bottle for each person and some snacks. DH and the boys take turns carrying it. I carry my small purse with everyone's APs, hand sanitizer, and the camera.

My DH refuses to eat brought-in food very much, but don't get me started on him...
:rotfl2:ha, ha, that use to be me. Then I had the choice of going cheap or not at all, and I learned to pack in food. The actual BIGGER benefit was that we ate in line, so not only did we save money, we saved the even more valuable time from not stopping to purchase food.

We take: one sandwich per person, a bag of jerky and mixed nuts, a bag of cut up apples and grapes, and a bag of candy (usually small snickers and starbursts.)

Everyone packs their own water bottle in an insulated carrier that can be strapped around waist or hung on shoulder. We freeze a case of water bottles a week before we leave. If your hotel has a mini fridge they will stay frozen for several days.

Have sooooo much fun

When we went in January I brought in a small (lunchbox size) cooler with sandwiches, fruit, and baggies of ice almost every day. Had no issues doing so!

Plus I'm pretty sure fanny packs are go-to Disney fashion :rotfl:

:scared1: ;) They are the mullet of the fashion world and the Crocs of the shoe world. Horrific, no matter how functional. :rotfl2:

For the OP, we have found huge portions at:

Taste Pilot's in DCA
The Plaza Inn's fried chicken meal and their pastas
Red Rocket's pizza slices are big, their pasta and salads are enough for two
DD 14 and I can easily share a double cheeseburger and fries
Whitewater Snacks in the GCH
Tortilla Joes take out window has cheap and good tacos

If there are any table service places you are wanting to try, go for a late lunch instead of dinner. They have similar menus but are cheaper.

Have a great trip! :goodvibes

:)I was quite the budget when i took my son the first time! So I bought Disney "souveniors" ahead of time. Like a bathrobe, plush toy, etc and put them out while he way sleeping. We didn't buy too much while in the park and set a limit to what we could. You can often find great deals even for young mens attire on the Disney store website for much less then you would pay for in the park.
Have fun on your trip!
:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter