Disney bought land in South Louisiana ????

OMG! That's why you would only want parks that are open 365 days a year to be in the lower south.

Could you imagine all us southern drivers on the roads trying to go to MVMCP in snow/sleet/ice???:scared1: :rotfl2:

Nope ain't going to happen. If it is snowing somewhere I will NOT go. I don't do cold and that is why I live in Louisiana. :thumbsup2

I dunno what prompted me to peek in on the rumors board, 'cause this is off my beaten path. I'm just tickled to see people who are neighbors posting here ... Tylertown, Mississippi? C'mon! (We lived in McComb before moving to Jackson).

It's really easy to shrug all this off as rantings of overzealous politicians. I do know that here in metro Jackson, MS (do metro and Mississippi belong in the same phrase? :confused3 ), the combination of the Mississippi Braves and the Bass Pro Shop have been a one/two punch. It's like a destination resort for folks around here, with new hotels, outlet mall, etc., coming on line. My prophetic utterance for the day is "just watch what happens in the next 20 years along the northern Gulf coast."

There's been so much talk of Disney developing "mini-parks," I'm just intrigued to see when that moves beyond the talking stage. Livingston Parish, from looking at a map, is a lot more centrally located to some signifcant population centers within a day's drive than one would think.

I'd be happy if we just had a Disney Store in town again.

I drive I-55 every day to work. Oh, the humanity!

I didn't believe this when my friend told me about it the other day, but after thinking about it, I could see where Disney might want to build studios here with the growing film industry in the area. If they do that, then a theme park like Disney's Hollywood Studios might make sense.

In addition to the tax breaks for the film industry that's been around for a few years now, the legislature passed "Broadway South" last year which offers tax incentives to producers who stage live theatrical and musical productions in the state. I think there's even some incentive for producers to debut a Broadway type show here before they take it to NY and on the road. Disney has had a lot of success on Broadway lately with Lion King and now Little Mermaid.

Here's a link to the Broadway South webpage that was developed while they were trying to get the legislation passed: http://www.broadwaysouth.com/home.html

I also think the rumored project could be a Hollywood Studios type park with a film studio connected as well as a theatre or two offering rotating stage shows to work out the "kinks" before they go live.

Just think, maybe Louisiana can be Disney's "Soft Opening" locale!!!:thumbsup2
Wouldn't that be AWESOME!!!

I live in St. Charles parish which is closer to NOLA than to BR. But since katrina, people think NOTHING of driving to BR to shop or go to Blue Bayou.

Some of you asked earlier why Louisiana? We are a major tourist destination already: between the French Quarter, the food, the zoo, Aquarium, the port with cruise travel, and the whole country's attention on our recovery, and the financial incentives, it does make sense! And of course, we've now had national attention on LSU (Go Tigers!) and we have tourists all over the state,not just NOLA. And for those of you not familiar with Livingston parish, it is NOT low-lying and not prone to storm surge from a hurricane! (Now winds are another matter, but then that's also the case with Orlando.)

But, speaking of the NOLA port, on the tigerrag message forums someone said there's even a rumor that the disney cruise line would sail out of NOLA and offer packages in conjunction with the new proposed facility in Livingston parish.

Can you just imagine?????

Oh, please let it be true!!!!:goodvibes I have subscribed to keep updated! Let's all keep each other clued in!!!!!

I can not believe I heard this rumor for the first time today and when I google it my favorite website pops up!!!!!!!

I heard that Disney bought 1000+ acres and has sold some of it to Schlitterbahn's Water Park. Disney is planning to build a park, the water park, and something else, but the person couldn't tell me what it is. I'm taking this with a grain of salt, because like many posters on here, Livingston Parish (aka the Crystal Meth Capitol) is not a desirable place to build something like this. Over in Lafayette, a park with a cajun theme, perhaps. But in the heart of what many consider to be the worst parish in the state is unlikely. Not to mention Louisiana politics would probably have Disney ready to run before the project even gets off the ground.

Take for instance the Bass Pro that just opened in Denham. How many months of fighting it went on before construction began - even after 85% of the parish voted for it. The same thing would probably happen in this case.

I am a lifelong resident of South Louisiana and a Disney park in Satsuma would be great (DH would probably even let me get an AP). I live in Tangipahoa, and a park minutes from my house would be wonderful. But my hopes are not getting raised at all.

BTW - it was great reading through this and seeing so many people post on this board from LA. Someone even mentioned Tigerdroppings.com, which is my second favorite website. There are certainly no lack of Disney fans here for sure!!!!!!!

gotta say I would be shocked if disney does anything in livingston parish. the parish government there is still part of the "good ole boys" network of LA...worse than many other parishes around the state. disney would have to deal with a LOT there --- wouldn't be worth the trouble, imo.

Brandijo5,

That Crystal Meth capital comment is hilarious. There is something about Livingston, Tangipahoa, and St. Helena Parishes that just doesnt seem right stuck between East Baton Rouge and St. Tammany. I also am a life long resident of Tangi. I was wondering the other day what the Orlando area was like before disney came along.... do you think it looked alot like LIVINGSTON PARISH????? I actually think it has some similarities... But with this story (that seems to not want to die) I will take a wait and see attitude!

Brandijo5,

That Crystal Meth capital comment is hilarious. There is something about Livingston, Tangipahoa, and St. Helena Parishes that just doesnt seem right stuck between East Baton Rouge and St. Tammany. I also am a life long resident of Tangi. I was wondering the other day what the Orlando area was like before disney came along.... do you think it looked alot like LIVINGSTON PARISH????? I actually think it has some similarities... But with this story (that seems to not want to die) I will take a wait and see attitude!

From what I understand and have read, the WDW area was mostly swamp (as is most of Livingston Parish) and Walt had tons of dirt hauled in to build the area up. They'd have to dig up half of north LA to build up Livingston parish though!!!!!!!!

BTW: My dad is a truck driver for the movie's that keep popping up in LA and he told me that he heard the land Disney bought is going to be used for a studio. I don't think he has any insider knowledge, but he says that this has been the "scoop" for a while now on movie sets.

I live right outside Gettysburg, PA and a long time ago, it had to be 15 years ago, Disney was up here to buy some land to have a Colonial Themed park, like Williamsburg. No one would even talk to them because of all the Historical societies that are here. They said that Disney would ruin the historical aspect of Gettysburg. Then that was it, nothing after that. So I do think there are spots for Disney all around the US.

I live right outside Gettysburg, PA and a long time ago, it had to be 15 years ago, Disney was up here to buy some land to have a Colonial Themed park, like Williamsburg. No one would even talk to them because of all the Historical societies that are here. They said that Disney would ruin the historical aspect of Gettysburg. Then that was it, nothing after that. So I do think there are spots for Disney all around the US.
You're thinking of the Disney's America project, which ended up slotted for northern Virginia, then was abandoned after local opposition arose, largely driven by the landed gentry in the area.

Is there a state which hasn't had a rumored land transaction where Disney was suggested to somehow be responsible?

Just of the top of my head, I can think of Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, Virginia, Tennessee, Colorado, Hawaii, Missiouri, and Texas.

I have heard rumors about SC also.
3 or 4 years ago Disney was rumored to have bought land out near Clemson, SC, about 30 minutes from Greenville, 1.5 hours from Atlanta and about 2 from Charlotte, NC off I-85.

Well I always heard the rumor growing up that before Walt Disney bought the land in Orlando he looked at an area of land right outside of New Orleans. (where the six flags is now) I heard that the land in New Orleans was easier because they would only have to buy one big lump of land where as in Orlando they would have to buy each piece, but the guy who owned it didn't want to sell it or something. I don't know how true that is but maybe your rumor stemmed off of that? :confused3

I have heard rumors about SC also.
3 or 4 years ago Disney was rumored to have bought land out near Clemson, SC, about 30 minutes from Greenville, 1.5 hours from Atlanta and about 2 from Charlotte, NC off I-85.

OOOHHHH, I would love that!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Mike Grimmer, Parish President of Livingston Parish was on WAFB news last week. He said they were working on a deal that if it went through would shock the south.... He would not elaborate.

Mike Grimmer, Parish President of Livingston Parish was on WAFB news last week. He said they were working on a deal that if it went through would shock the south.... He would not elaborate.

This was in the news a couple months ago (I live in Livingston Parish - trust me, we have some good points). Anyway what really is going on is NOT that Disney is romancing us, it's that OUR parish is paying their (wdw) people to do a general survey to consider our area for future developments.. Apparently anyone who wants to pay the 100k or so can have this done. Doesn't mean Disney has any desire to build anything anywhere, it's just another money making scheme if you ask me.

Here is another article from the Baton Rouge Business Report from October 2007-
I am not counting on it either but I would be the first in line if they built it. Seems to me that with all of the tax incentives being giving to movie makers, maybe it will be something like the Disney Studios for making movies and also a theme park. Also, just as a side note, Disney is doing a movie, The Frog Princess about a frog from New Orleans due in 2009. Maybe a sign:confused3 :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

Livingston eyed for entertainment destinationsLivingston Parish officials say they continue to be approached by theme park companies and others who are interested in building a large family attraction off of Interstate 12. The parish has commissioned a feasibility study to look into the likelihood of building a 1,500-acre to 2,000-acre attraction, says Paco Swain, president of the Livingston Board of Realtors and a member of the parish's economic development council. The plan is to have the study completed by around the end of the year; at the same time the parish will approach several large landowners to gauge their interest in selling property for a theme park. "There's a tremendous void between Houston and Orlando for family entertainment," Swain says. "The timing is right for us to go after this." There have been rumors about world-renowned theme park and entertainment operators looking at Livingston for everything from a water park to a baseball complex. Recent published reports about the feasibility study led to Swain getting calls at his home on a Sunday from potential tenants, he says. Eric Edwards, the parish's director of tourism, says Livingston is poised for a big development because of available land and growth along the Interstate 10-Interstate 12 corridor. But parish leaders want to be cautious, Edwards says, because of the recent situation involving the Louisiana International Speedway in Tangipahoa Parish. That project was proudly announced by economic development officials, but fell apart after it was revealed the developer had a spotty background, including a fraud conviction. --Timothy Boone

Actually it's a lot bigger than that since Astroworld in Houston has been closed for years.

I'm also near Gettysburg. I was beginning to think I had dreamed all that. Thanks for establishing it as reality for me! Would have been nice to have had a park so close to home. Then again, the traffic is bad enough in the summer in G'burg, could you even begin to imagine how bad it would be if we had a Disney park in the area? They were looking at farmland north of town, weren't they?

Deb
POFQ, Oct. 2007

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter