disney baggage pick up service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, missed 'what happens if the airline misdirects a piece of luggage and DME has no idea how many bags are supposed to be there'.

Sometimes guests are told to bypass the DME desk and to go directly to the bus for their resort. Are those guests ever asked how many bags they checked?

It is clear Disney expects DME guests will use the luggage trucks to transport their luggage and use the DME buses.

Although Disney says you must be on the bus in order to have your luggage transported we know this isn't true.

For whatever reason posters have a big issue with people who want to use DME for luggage only but no problem with guests who don't follow instructions and schlep their luggage over to the DME area. I agree with your point, guests who claim their own luggage have a negative impact on guests who follow policy. Guests who use DME for luggage only have no impact on other guests.

The original instructions told guests yellow tagged luggage is held at MCO until the guest checks in at the DME desk. There are rare circumstances where the luggage may make it to MCO but the guest doesn't. Makes it easier for Disney to return the bags back to the airline in the evident the guest never makes the trip. It's clear a decision was made it's more efficient to ship the bags directly to the resorts without waiting for verification the guest has arrived.

RAC and DME are not the same service, and I would hate for anyone who is lurking on this board to think they are.

Anyone bothering to carefully read my post won't think that, and if you had, you would not be quoting me then making this statement.

They don't have the same name, so they can't be considered the same service, but they are both offered by Disney and do almost the same thing in opposite directions. The Disney service titled "DME" combines transporting you and your luggage together inbound, "RAC" is just for your luggage outbound, and DME is again available outbound. They basically perform the same function of transporting luggage to and from MCO/Disney, and having an airport "authority" of being able to pull bags, or accept, tag and insert bags (depening on which way....and which service you are using). They both offer a similar convenience of avoiding MCO luggage lines, carousels, etc.

So, that's why I said they are (quoting) the exactly same service in that (key words there....because now it describes how they are they same.....) they take care of transport of your luggage to OR from MCO and Disney. Anyone lurking and reading will read what I said.

Your misusing the system. Plan an simple. They are paying someone to pick up your luggage. Wait for your luggage then get your rental. Why you even would suggest to have Disney get your luggage and then not ride the bus just sounds like you are using the system. This will be like fast pass soon....
They are paying someone to pull bags and drive you to the airport either way. You are entitled to that service, and if you choose not to take advantage you are not costing them any money, they've already decided to give it to you. Please show some example of how not using a service they offer you costs them more money.

I didn'tsuggest that people get their luggage then not ride the bus.....the OP did, that's why this thread exists. Please read the thread and understand the conversation before commenting.

DME and RAC are not the same thing. Yes, they use the same luggage trucks...so what???

Except they do essentially the same job in opposite directions. Other than that they are completely different operations....so similar in fact they share the same vehicles. Nothing to see here....move on....nothing to see here....

If everyone who was riding the DME bus was able to use RAC, then sure, it's the same thing. But, that's not the case. Add to that the fact that you don't even have to ride the bus to use RAC??? Nope, different entities.
Key word, entities. They are different entities, performing basically the same luggage transport between MCO and Disney, and offered as a Disney branded service (even though Disney has to write checks to two different "entities" to pay those vendors). The reason you don't need to ride the bus going back is purely marketing. You don't "need' to ride the bus coming in either, thus the subject of this thread. It still works (although with possible issues being discussed).......they just WANT you to because one of the benefits of creating DME is keep you away from using a car to escape Disney. It works to their benefit. Can they easily deal with you only using part of their service....sure. They don't want to admit that they'd rather you don't ask for that.

Yep, missed 'what happens if the airline misdirects a piece of luggage and DME has no idea how many bags are supposed to be there'.
That wasn't asked, and it not part of the basic question of how the two systems work, but I think we're in the midst of discussing that possible scenario now. That is the one single difference, and the main reason Disney and Disboard threaders can give to claim you can not use just one part of the service. (besides the real marketing reasons). But as we try to get to the heart of the matter here while wading through various accusations of not understanding DME and RAC at all, costing Disney money for not using their service, etc. etc.......we may find that DME has exceptions to this rule

Sometimes guests are told to bypass the DME desk and to go directly to the bus for their resort. Are those guests ever asked how many bags they checked?

It is clear Disney expects DME guests will use the luggage trucks to transport their luggage and use the DME buses.

Although Disney says you must be on the bus in order to have your luggage transported we know this isn't true.

For whatever reason posters have a big issue with people who want to use DME for luggage only but no problem with guests who don't follow instructions and schlep their luggage over to the DME area. I agree with your point, guests who claim their own luggage have a negative impact on guests who follow policy. Guests who use DME for luggage only have no impact on other guests.

The original instructions told guests yellow tagged luggage is held at MCO until the guest checks in at the DME desk. There are rare circumstances where the luggage may make it to MCO but the guest doesn't. Makes it easier for Disney to return the bags back to the airline in the evident the guest never makes the trip. It's clear a decision was made it's more efficient to ship the bags directly to the resorts without waiting for verification the guest has arrived.
I haven't been to the actual counter in years.....and have been directed to the bus line podium. There, I was asked about my return flight, as well as the number of checked bags
I have.

As I said, it doesn't happen often, but it can, and does. I would much rather see guests tag their bags and then use alternative transport to WDW vs bringing their checked bags to the bus with them! I just want to be sure everyone knows what 'could' happen.

:thumbsup2

:worship: Exactly.

vacationclub said:
So, did I miss anything. Because
You missed Disney's own statement that Magical Express isn't a luggage delivery service, that guests must use the inbound transportation portion to get their luggage delivered.
You missed the part about flouting the DME rules and continuing to encourage others to follow your example.
You missed the part about Resort Airline Checkin is just like Curbside Checkin - not like Magical Express.
You missed the part about misdirected luggage.
Most important, you missed the part where I edited my opinion, thereby avoiding a DIS infraction :rotfl2:

You missed Disney's own statement that Magical Express isn't a luggage delivery service, that guests must use the inbound transportation portion to get their luggage delivered.

Except that isn't a part of how it works, that's a nuance of how Disney says it works. But as two others besides myself have clearly pointed out and explained.....it's simply not true. Thus, not part of my description..

You missed the part about flouting the DME rules and continuing to encourage others to follow your example.
I haven't encouraged anyone to do anything. Please show a single post that encourages people to do something. It's a rhetorical question but it's still fun to ask.

The DME "rules" you claim are being flouted are not explained when you book or when you get a packet. In fact only when stumbling across this thread did I become aware of a web site that has this reference. And, further, it wasn't part of your question/accusation that I have no idea about how the services operate. You're just looking for tangents now in recovery mode.

Y
You missed the part about Resort Airline Checkin is just like Curbside Checkin - not like Magical Express.
That part isn't necessary. I still described how it works without using any analogies.
You missed the part about misdirected luggage.
Also wasn't part of the accusation of not understanding how either service works. And, we're actively discussing that nuance now, so it should be clear that I understand it exists.

Most important, you missed the part where I edited my opinion, thereby avoiding a DIS infraction :rotfl2:
I have no idea what you're talking about here or how that somehow applies to something I missed in my description of DME/RAC that you claimed I "clearly" knew nothing about.

Perhaps an apology is in order now that I've proven to you that your silly accusation was completely off-base and proven completely wrong.

There haven't been any reports on the DIS of guests arriving at MCO via some mode of transportation other than airplane while their yellow-tagged luggage was, indeed, flown in.

That wasn't being discussed. The question wasn't about arriving at MCO via a car, or bus, or donkey for that matter, while your luggage somehow arrived via a plane. (not even sure how that scenario could exist). The question was about what happens when you report to DME and tell them that you just arrived, you tagged luggage, but you won't be riding the bus.

It's clear a decision was made it's more efficient to ship the bags directly to the resorts without waiting for verification the guest has arrived.
Which (although against Disney "rules") works fine, as long as everything else worked fine.

What no one has offered an explanation for... what if the airline "misdirects" the luggage, and DME doesn't know to look for it? What is the time limit before an airline needs to be notified there is missing luggage? I've had missing (sorry, misdirected) luggage 3 out of my last 4 trips. Every time, I've been able to let the airline know before leaving the airport. As I understand it, if you've checked into DME, and they know you've checked 3 bags, but only two have scanned into their system, THEY notify the airline one bag is missing.

So what happens to bags that are misdirected, but the airlines aren't notified are "missing"? THAT is the danger of using the yellow tags but other transportation.

Which (although against Disney "rules") works fine, as long as everything else worked fine.

What no one has offered an explanation for... what if the airline "misdirects" the luggage, and DME doesn't know to look for it? What is the time limit before an airline needs to be notified there is missing luggage? I've had missing (sorry, misdirected) luggage 3 out of my last 4 trips. Every time, I've been able to let the airline know before leaving the airport. As I understand it, if you've checked into DME, and they know you've checked 3 bags, but only two have scanned into their system, THEY notify the airline one bag is missing.

So what happens to bags that are misdirected, but the airlines aren't notified are "missing"? THAT is the danger of using the yellow tags but other transportation.
Well, obviously the owner of the bag would figure this out when either receiving less that their total of bags, or simply not receiving their single bag and then calling to ask. At this point they probably get a response from Disney that you didn't check into DME at the airport so we didn't know you had bags inbound, and thus didn't know later that any were missing...we just assumed you didn't check them. But, at this point, because they DID have a yellow tag on them, it still could be an airline mis-direction or a Disney misdirection. If Disney claims they never scanned your bag inbound, they would probably tell you to call your airline and ask. At this point, they airline may be able to tell you what's happening, and I doubt that they would have already sold your bag to auctioneers. OR, they may say it arrived at MCO just fine and pass the buck back to Disney, which, still could be the actual culprit. These scenarios can exist either way...whether you ride the bus or not, and posters to Disboards have reported stories of DME losing their bags, or just some of them, and having to make calls to figure out where they are. It's rare, but it has been reported.

This, again, gets back to the question I asked earlier when another poster said that you can tell DME that you are making a "last minute" change and not riding the bus. I asked what happens at that point, and the response seems to be that instead of putting out an APB on your bag (or bags)and send someone to dig it out of a truck somewhere and bring it to you, they most likely just say,"thanks, we'll note it, it will be in your room. Have a magical day." (or something like that).

Well, obviously the owner of the bag would figure this out when either receiving less that their total of bags, or simply not receiving their single bag and then calling to ask. At this point they probably get a response from Disney that you didn't check into DME at the airport so we didn't know you had bags inbound, and thus didn't know later that any were missing...we just assumed you didn't check them. But, at this point, because they DID have a yellow tag on them, it still could be an airline mis-direction or a Disney misdirection. If Disney claims they never scanned your bag inbound, they would probably tell you to call your airline and ask. At this point, they airline may be able to tell you what's happening, and I doubt that they would have already sold your bag to auctioneers. OR, they may say it arrived at MCO just fine and pass the buck back to Disney, which, still could be the actual culprit. These scenarios can exist either way...whether you ride the bus or not, and posters to Disboards have reported stories of DME losing their bags, or just some of them, and having to make calls to figure out where they are. It's rare, but it has been reported.

Passengers with missing bags are required to make a preliminary claim before leaving the airport. Passengers who've asked Disney to get their bags via giving a bag count to DME are probably exempt from that requirement. Relatively few bags are delayed. Most of those bags wind up on a later flight. Those bags are given to DME for delivery when they arrive at MCO.

The bags don't arrive and the passenger can make a claim with Disney and /or the airline.

The bags don't arrive and the passenger didn't check in with DME. The airline isn't liable since the passenger didn't file notice before leaving MCO. Disney probably isn't responsible. The passenger never told DME about their bags. Assume the DME tags fell off or were missed. The bags were stolen off the baggage carousel. The only reason for Disney, or the airline, honoring a claim would be goodwill.

I agree this situation is uncommon. Most bags aren't permanently lost. Doesn't change the fact that passengers are assuming a, small, degree of risk.

The bags don't arrive and the passenger didn't check in with DME. The airline isn't liable since the passenger didn't file notice before leaving MCO.

I believe the reason for the requirement of filing a claim before leaving the airport is to prove you were really at the carousel looking for a bag that could have been stolen. But if your bag never makes it to a carousel because it's yellow tagged, then that rule may not apply, as DME is simply considered another connection.

I would guess that even people who make last second changes (someone picks them up at the airport, etc) planned or pre-planned, and then have lost luggage that was yellow tagged, will get some effort from Disney because their bag could have been routed into their system because of the presence of the yellow tag. This is a grey area, and I'm sure it's happened before.

So, again the question, if you simply approach DME, tell them you've decided not to ride the bus (for whatever reason) and tell them your bags are tagged, are you OK?

Except they do essentially the same job in opposite directions. Other than that they are completely different operations....so similar in fact they share the same vehicles. Nothing to see here....move on....nothing to see here....

Key word, entities. They are different entities, performing basically the same luggage transport between MCO and Disney, and offered as a Disney branded service (even though Disney has to write checks to two different "entities" to pay those vendors). The reason you don't need to ride the bus going back is purely marketing. You don't "need' to ride the bus coming in either, thus the subject of this thread. It still works (although with possible issues being discussed).......they just WANT you to because one of the benefits of creating DME is keep you away from using a car to escape Disney. It works to their benefit. Can they easily deal with you only using part of their service....sure. They don't want to admit that they'd rather you don't ask for that.

That wasn't asked, and it not part of the basic question of how the two systems work, but I think we're in the midst of discussing that possible scenario now. That is the one single difference, and the main reason Disney and Disboard threaders can give to claim you can not use just one part of the service. (besides the real marketing reasons). But as we try to get to the heart of the matter here while wading through various accusations of not understanding DME and RAC at all, costing Disney money for not using their service, etc. etc.......we may find that DME has exceptions to this rule
If you see the original questions, posted below, you will see that we have pretty much answered exactly that question. You may continue to choose to believe otherwise. You may choose to believe what you wish to believe.

Here's the thing....RAC is merely curbside service...it is NOT DME. Pure and simple. There is a reason that only some guests get to use RAC..based on the time of departure and the airline they are using. When using DME, airline or time does not matter one bit.

Believe me...I am fully aware of exactly how DME/RAC work. And it always seems to be those that want to use DME as a luggage delivery service that tell the rest of us we just don't understand how it works.
If you call Disney now, and if you ask them if you can tag your bags and have DME handle them but you aren't riding the bus??? They will tell you that isn't how the service works. Now, can you actually do that?? Sure you can. And this is why I always, always, always come here, to these threads, and make sure that everyone realizes what the possible repercussions could be.
Again, I know how it works. I know how Disney intends the service to be used, and I also understand that the vast majority of people who tag and then don't ride have no issues at all.

I am not taking DME....can I still use my yellow tags and have my bags picked up?

That wasn't being discussed. The question wasn't about arriving at MCO via a car, or bus, or donkey for that matter, while your luggage somehow arrived via a plane. (not even sure how that scenario could exist). The question was about what happens when you report to DME and tell them that you just arrived, you tagged luggage, but you won't be riding the bus.
That was NOT the original question at all.

I believe the reason for the requirement of filing a claim before leaving the airport is to prove you were really at the carousel looking for a bag that could have been stolen. But if your bag never makes it to a carousel because it's yellow tagged, then that rule may not apply, as DME is simply considered another connection.

I would guess that even people who make last second changes (someone picks them up at the airport, etc) planned or pre-planned, and then have lost luggage that was yellow tagged, will get some effort from Disney because their bag could have been routed into their system because of the presence of the yellow tag. This is a grey area, and I'm sure it's happened before.

So, again the question, if you simply approach DME, tell them you've decided not to ride the bus (for whatever reason) and tell them your bags are tagged, are you OK?

Here's the issue with your line of thought. If DME doesn't realize it needs to be looking for 4 bags, and one is misdirected, then no one realizes it's missing for a long period of time. And misdirected bags are supposed to be reported with a set time...and that time is not 5 hrs!! It's more like an hour. THen, if it isn't reported, the airline will now tell you it's not their issue any longer.
We have seen this reported here...I'm not making this up as I go along.

Add to that??? The vast majority of people that tag their bags but then want to use a rental car or car service?? They don't want to go all the way down to DME, wait to speak to someone, and let them know 'their plans have now changed and they won't be riding the bus but they tagged their bags'. THey want to go to their car, get in and go to WDW. Sure, there are going to be a few, a very few, number that go to DME and give that info. But it sure isn't a large number.

You can argue this point forever. It is most certainly not new ground for us here on the Transportation board. We all know how things work, and what Disney wants to happen. You can call it marketing or whatever. BUT....the plain truth is that you want to use DME the way you want to use it. You continue to say that Disney doesn't care. And they probably don't. But, don't come here, telling everyone that you're right, and they're wrong. We can only post what Disney says...officially. And then, let everyone know what 'could' happen if they choose to use DME the way they want to vs Disney's way.

I believe the reason for the requirement of filing a claim before leaving the airport is to prove you were really at the carousel looking for a bag that could have been stolen.
Do you have any basis for that, or is it just YOUR reason?

Do you have any basis for that, or is it just YOUR reason?

Well, since I started the statement with "I believe", that would indicate that it's my speculation and conclusion based on the situation, which was explained in the following sentence that you didn't include here. My question to you is...do you have any reason to think it's not a logical and possible conclusion?

Well, since I started the statement with "I believe", that would indicate that it's my speculation and conclusion based on the situation, which was explained in the following sentence that you didn't include here. My question to you is...do you have any reason to think it's not a logical and possible conclusion?
Yes. I believe it's so airlines know what to do with the bags once they "locate" them. Should the bags go to the destination airport? Should they go to another airport? Should they go somewhere else?

I also believe airlines want to know how many bags are "missing". Can all the bags go on the next plane? Is the next plane overbooked on it's own and there's no room for "extra" bags?

I agree there is a small chance of a bag being "lost" by the airline. My question is, if you don't tell DME to look for the bag, and you don't tell the airline what to do with the bag, once the bag gets to MCO, what happens? Granted, you'll know in about 4-5 hours you're missing a bag. So you contact the airline and they say it's been found and has been delivered to MCO. Do the airlines still deliver the bag to you, since you didn't file a timely claim, or do you have to go back to the airport yourself to claim it?

Every time the airline has "lost" one of my bags (more often than when they've all successfully made it), they've delivered the bags to wherever I was staying. Of course, I let them know about it before leaving the airport, so they'd know WHERE to deliver them to.

Yes. I believe it's so airlines know what to do with the bags once they "locate" them. Should the bags go to the destination airport? Should they go to another airport? Should they go somewhere else?
Well, again I'm speculating here, I'm not an airline official (lest someone accuse me of giving bad advice or something :rolleyes:) but I would say that a bag that has been concluded by the airline as "missing" a plane to some destination will default to going to that destination on the tag at the next possible opportunity, even if you don't tell them.

If two planes leaving for the same airport leave within an hour of each other, and you are on the first plane but your luggage doesn't' get on that plane, and they realize this before you do, I am guessing they would just stick it into the next plane bound for that airport even before you have an opportunity to tell them it's missing. They simply tell you later (when you ask about it) that it's on (or will be on) the next flight out. If you don't have any connections when heading to MCO, this weakness is a pretty low concern for DME riders as it's much more likely that the luggage won't get mis-directed.

I'm also going to simply guess that in most cases the default is simply to send the bag to the destination on the tag, and no where else, since that is where it was supposed to go to begin with.
I also believe airlines want to know how many bags are "missing". Can all the bags go on the next plane? Is the next plane overbooked on it's own and there's no room for "extra" bags?
Is this really a concern? Do baggage areas of planes usually "overbook". Even if it does, the airline still is going to get the luggage (or multiple pieces of luggage) on the next available plane to where it's supposed to go. The only reason an airline would need to know how many are missing is if they themselves are not aware of anything missing. Again, speculating here, the airlines are aware when they make a mistake if not putting a bag on a plane because it's sitting in front of them with no place to go. But if it goes on the wrong plane somehow, I seem to observe that at most airports there are luggage agents at carousels that pull luggage that was never claimed. You always see these bags sitting alone near the offices, etc. At this point they can easily determine if that bag is at the right airport, and if not, take steps to get it there, or even contact the owner.

I agree there is a small chance of a bag being "lost" by the airline. My question is, if you don't tell DME to look for the bag, and you don't tell the airline what to do with the bag, once the bag gets to MCO, what happens? .
If it got to MCO it didn' really get lost, did it? And, if it got to MCO late, because it was re-routed somehow, it STILL has a yellow tag on it. It still gets pulled. Or, if it doesn't because it's late at night, the airline sees it an orphan bag with a yellow tag. A reasonable person would say "this bag is meant for Disney, they didn't abandon it". They hold it. They call Disney and tell them there is a bag there for them.

Granted, you'll know in about 4-5 hours you're missing a bag. So you contact the airline and they say it's been found and has been delivered to MCO. Do the airlines still deliver the bag to you, since you didn't file a timely claim, or do you have to go back to the airport yourself to claim it?
If it has a yellow tag on it, you do nothing since it arrives just like every other yellow tagged luggage. DME sees it before the carousel or the luggage counter does. It goes to Disney just like all the other bags on that plane, regardless of the fact that it's late, or regardless of the fact you got on the bus or did not get on the bus.

I'm pretty sure the airline isn't going to commit customer service suicide and say "you didn't tell us fast enough, and even though it's got a yellow tag on it , and we know that means special circumastance apply, we're going to keep your bag and look through your underwear....just hours after it departed from it's originating airport.

Every time the airline has "lost" one of my bags (more often than when they've all successfully made it), they've delivered the bags to wherever I was staying. Of course, I let them know about it before leaving the airport, so they'd know WHERE to deliver them to.
Yes, that would make sense. But a yellow tagged bag is technically not at it's final destination yet...it still has to make a "connection" to the yellow tag people. So, they wouldn't even GET your bag to ask you about it. DME would see it and pull it, or if late, the example above.

The reason for the rule is irrelevant. Your reason makes no sense. Yellow DME tags are attached by the passenger. The airline has no way of knowing if a DME tag is attached to the bag, fell off the bag (tags are strong but handles are sometimes detached from the bags during handling) or was never attached to the bag.

You want speculation. Checking in with DME and telling them how many bags is the way Disney, and indirectly the airlines, are notified your bag is yellow tagged and should be transported by Disney. Before you leave the airport you either tell the airline your bag is missing or you tell Disney to please handle your bags. Either you make the claim or Disney knows to make a claim on your behalf if the bag doesn't enter the DME system.

AFAIK Disney doesn't have armed guards at the DME area making sure guests board the buses. I guess you could check in at the DME area but take alternate transportation to WDW.

I suspect very few guests ever have to file a claim for missing luggage. The fact that it's rare doesn't change anything.

If it has a yellow tag on it, you do nothing since it arrives just like every other yellow tagged luggage.
And you're assuming the tag is still on the bag. As mentioned by previous posters, what if the tag is gone? Now you have your bag at MCO (I also assume airlines would forward the bag to the destination on their tag), but with no yellow tag.

The airline might try to contact you, but how? Is the cell number of every flier on file? An email address? Would you be checking the email? Regardless, let's say you call the airline and they say "yes, the bag is here, it came on a later plane". There's no yellow tag on it (it got ripped off somewhere) so it couldn't go to DME. Since you didn't file a claim, do you have to go back to the airport (PITA)?

I am not taking DME....can I still use my yellow tags and have my bags picked up?
And again, yes. You will more than likely have no issues with doing that at all. It isn't how Disney intends DME to be used, but it is done every day.

I'll quote a different paragraph:

It may be clear to some that Disney doesn't want "luggage only" reservations. It's also clear Disney only wants checked luggage under the bus if you arrive after 10p.

Why is it OK to discuss violating the policy regarding bringing checked luggage over to the DME bus but not discuss violating the policy regarding luggage only?:confused3

The fact is Disney will take luggage guests drag over to the DME desk, at any hour of the day or night. The fact is Disney will transport yellow tagged luggage even if the guest doesn't ride the bus.

I hope the posters in this thread will be diligent in reminding posters who want to get their checked luggage that in doing so they're violating Disney's rules.

Man, those are the folks that annoy me..but many have legitimate reasons for doing it this way. They aren't really violating anything. Disney doesn't say you have to tag your bags.

Of course, the part you quoted doesn't say you MUST skip baggage claim. In fact, if you'd look at the link posted, the opening paragraph...

The instructions (which you quoted) show HOW to use DME. No where does it say you MUST use DME. Conversely, the link does say you MUST use the motorcoach transportation to use the luggage service. Pretty cut and dried I'd say.

Also, isn't there a sticky about this?
why yes, yes there is...thanks for noticing!!!

Yes but most people would know that cutting in line is wrong without Disney making a rule about it. But people would not have any natural reason to know this luggage issue is "wrong" otherwise people like me wouldn't be doing it and people, like the op wouldn't be asking about it.
actually DME is a luggage pick service, as well as a people pick up service. And, it (Disney) has a related service (RAC) that does the exact same thing on the way back TO the airport with no fine print. You don't need to take the bus to use RAC so many people might assume it's the same way in the opposite direction.

Not sure who mom is but we're not discussing any methods to get around a Disney rule. We're discussing what happens IF you simply ignore the not-so-well-known rule. And what happens appears to be nothing

Actually, again?? DME and RAC are not the same thing. DME takes your tagged bags and moves them to your resort. If you read the info booklet, or other 'marketing' stuff, you will find that Disney considers the luggage delivery a 'perk' of using DME for your ride to WDW.
RAC is an actual airport arm. These bags are now entrusted to them...that whole 'never let your bags out of your sight' thingie. These RAC employees are the same as the employees at the airport. They are much more than luggage movers. And this is why you don't have to ride the DME bus...too bad Disney lumped RAC in with DME. It has caused nothing but confusion for guests.
This is not a 'not so well known rule'...it is right there, for everyone to see.

I'm not grasping at any straws. I'm pointing out the RAC and the luggage portion of DME, while TECHNICALLY may be operated by different companies...are the EXACT SAME SERVICE in that they take care of transport of your luggage to OR from MCO and Disney. They may even share the same trucks with back hauling.

They perform the exact same service, just in opposite directions, so to say "they have nothing to do with each other" seems to me a grasp at something, be it a straw or whatever. From the the customers point of view....the person who would be considering how to use the Disney transport to and from the airport.....it is exactly the same. The two services don't need to have the same tax ID number for my argument to have validity.

Perhaps not...but they provide a security approved 'secure environment' for your checked bags back to the airport. DME does not provide this 'environment' for the trip to WDW.
You can keep right on saying that RAC and DME are the same thing...have at it. You are more than free to believe what you choose to believe. I merely report on what I'm told by Disney and by those who are employed by both DME and RAC. But, I guess those folks aren't to be believed either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter