Disney as a single person

oceanwave

Mouseketeer
Hello!

My husband and I are travelling to WDW in September for 10 days. We were supposed to be travelling with another couple, but they have now broken up. Since our friend has broken up with his girlfriend, he is now having second thoughts about going to WDW for the following reasons.

1) He is convinced that he will be a third wheel, I totally understand where he is coming from, but that is not how my husband and I feel. We will have our own hotel rooms, and he is free to hangout with us as much or as little as he wants. We have made it very clear we don't think of him as a third wheel, and that we still really want him to come with us. I do understand why he would feel like this and I respect that.

2) He also feels that it will be socially awkward going to Disney as a single male. For some reason he thinks that a lone male in his early 20's walking around the parks is questionable since it's a family environment. I've tried to tell him that there are many solo travelers (men and women) who visit WDW.

3) He believes that there isn't really anything to do as a single person. I think the problem with this one is that he really doesn't know what WDW is. There is just sooooo much to see and do and that he really won't be bored. Not to mention being able to take advantage of those single rider lines!

So how to I convince him that he won't be viewed as a weird person for being single and in his early 20's roaming the parks? That people will not think the worst? Or that sitting by the pool as a lone man enjoying the sun is okay? And how do I convince him he won't be bored and that he will be having far too much fun exploring the parks and doing all the rides? Maybe some examples of things to do that you don't mind doing alone? But most importantly how do I convince him that Disney is not just for people with kids, but for everyone? (This was my husband's opinion last year when I convinced him to go to Disney, since he has been thankfully he has seen the light :rotfl:)

Also any advice from solo perspective will be appreciated!

I truly believe once he gets there and sees what Disney is all about (so hard to explain, think you need to see it in person to really get it.), sees that there are other single travelers and taps into his inner childhood he will have a great time!

I understand his apprehensions, especially if this is his first time at WDW.

Maybe if you get him involved in planning the first couple of days there- what park intrigues him the most? what restaurant appeals to him? then plan your day around that information and tour with him. Give him options and let him guide your planning.

As for being a single guy in the parks? I think that most people wouldn't pay attention to that, I know I don't. Maybe they are alone, maybe their SO is in the bathroom, shopping, grabbing a drink, whatever. Frankly, I'm so glad to be by myself that if I do see someone solo I'm thinking "good for you, too!" I look far more at what shoes people are wearing that whether they are alone or not. And believe me, the choices some people make....

Things I've done solo:
FREE:
Single rider line :thumbsup2
Volunteered to be a participant in the Backstage Movie ride at the Studios
Visited all four parks in one day
Resort hopped
Offered to take pictures for other people
Taken a picture at each photo spot on the park maps
Visited Downtown Disney (the Lego Store is dangerous, lol!)

Extra $$-
Taken one of the behind the scene tours
Rented a pontoon boat
Used the Photopass

I've found that you can be as involved as you want to be. Cast members are all willing to chat with you. I've also made fast friends waiting in line. Of course there are those who can't imagine someone being alone at WDW, but there are others who are envious as well.

Point him to this thread and some of the solo threads in this forum. Seeing firsthand accounts of solo travelers who have had great times should convince him.

I would say Point him to this forum. It is filled with great information. If he decides to continue on, have him join the "Singles Social Forum '. . .A great mix of people who love solo trips but also like meeting up.

I was going to suggest as PPs said...direct him to this thread...he can read an connect with other single travellers. Might make him feel better about going.

Hello!

My husband and I are travelling to WDW in September for 10 days. We were supposed to be travelling with another couple, but they have now broken up. Since our friend has broken up with his girlfriend, he is now having second thoughts about going to WDW for the following reasons.

1) He is convinced that he will be a third wheel, I totally understand where he is coming from, but that is not how my husband and I feel. We will have our own hotel rooms, and he is free to hangout with us as much or as little as he wants. We have made it very clear we don't think of him as a third wheel, and that we still really want him to come with us. I do understand why he would feel like this and I respect that.

2) He also feels that it will be socially awkward going to Disney as a single male. For some reason he thinks that a lone male in his early 20's walking around the parks is questionable since it's a family environment. I've tried to tell him that there are many solo travelers (men and women) who visit WDW.

3) He believes that there isn't really anything to do as a single person. I think the problem with this one is that he really doesn't know what WDW is. There is just sooooo much to see and do and that he really won't be bored. Not to mention being able to take advantage of those single rider lines!

So how to I convince him that he won't be viewed as a weird person for being single and in his early 20's roaming the parks? That people will not think the worst? Or that sitting by the pool as a lone man enjoying the sun is okay? And how do I convince him he won't be bored and that he will be having far too much fun exploring the parks and doing all the rides? Maybe some examples of things to do that you don't mind doing alone? But most importantly how do I convince him that Disney is not just for people with kids, but for everyone? (This was my husband's opinion last year when I convinced him to go to Disney, since he has been thankfully he has seen the light :rotfl:)

Also any advice from solo perspective will be appreciated!

I truly believe once he gets there and sees what Disney is all about (so hard to explain, think you need to see it in person to really get it.), sees that there are other single travelers and taps into his inner childhood he will have a great time!

There are a lot of single people in WDW me being one of them and is so much to do he will never notice..Unless he still sad over the break up and that may be bothering him and he not in the mood yet to go do things alone... not sure when you are going but Food and Wine starts in October into November in Epcot and is a lot of singles over there as well (more than usual) . as for myself I now go along with my DS and DBL but went for years a lone and would again. People just talk to you in lines. also the single rider lines are for anyone and does get you on rides faster and most times we still all sit together or close by. :cool1:

I'm single and live close by.I've been debating doing thison weekends like this when I don't have my babies :( I still will feel weird bymyslef but think it will be fine for me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter