Disney and Sesame Street

from what I've been told the characters would be mostly cast members in costumes except for Oscar and Snufflapacus(spelling). Those two would be controlled by animatronics. Oscar would insult people and interact with guests. While Snuff would be near Big Birds nest.

Disney would not have someone or something that would insult someone.

You sure about that? Some of the stuff they've been pulling lately really makes me feel like they are insulting my intelligence on a semi-regular basis....

You sure about that? Some of the stuff they've been pulling lately really makes me feel like they are insulting my intelligence on a semi-regular basis....

Disney top execs just think the type of people who visit theme parks ("mouth breathing Wal-Mart shoppers") are too dumb to notice.

Having worked at Sesame Place for a stretch of time when Disney was attempting to purchase the Muppet characters and properties, I can tell you first hand that there was an attempt by Disney to "take over" the marketing of the Sesame Street Characters. CTW or Sesame Workshop (as it is now known) is strictly involved in creating the programming you see on TV and video. They liscence all the merchandising to outside companies. When Busch Entertainment began to have financial troubles Disney made a strong push to buy out Sesame Place and the theme park rights to the characters, this was long after MGM stopped being a "working studio" so the change from NY street to Sesame Street was still feasable. However, when Busch Entertainment was bought out, Sesame Place was the lynch pin in the deal, if they had sold that single entity to Disney the deal would have fallen through.

Disney did consider buying Busch Entertainment as a whole, but decided buying all the extra properties just to get Sesame Place was not worth it in the long run.

Having worked at Sesame Place for a stretch of time when Disney was attempting to purchase the Muppet characters and properties, I can tell you first hand that there was an attempt by Disney to "take over" the marketing of the Sesame Street Characters. CTW or Sesame Workshop (as it is now known) is strictly involved in creating the programming you see on TV and video. They liscence all the merchandising to outside companies. When Busch Entertainment began to have financial troubles Disney made a strong push to buy out Sesame Place and the theme park rights to the characters, this was long after MGM stopped being a "working studio" so the change from NY street to Sesame Street was still feasable. However, when Busch Entertainment was bought out, Sesame Place was the lynch pin in the deal, if they had sold that single entity to Disney the deal would have fallen through.

Disney did consider buying Busch Entertainment as a whole, but decided buying all the extra properties just to get Sesame Place was not worth it in the long run.

I have no doubt Disney tried to buy the Sesame Street characters from Henson -- Eisner probably tried to buy or steal every hot children's property at one point or another -- but they were rebuffed. And at the time, Henson (and the Henson family afterwards) was the only one who could have sold them those rights regardless of what theme park rights anyone else may have had.

Universal, for example, currently has the theme parks rights (East of the Mississippi) to Spider-Man -- but they can't sell it to Six Flags. And if Six Flags somehow bought Universal, they couldn't open Spider-Man rides in all their parks without negotiating a new (and separate) license for that purpose.

Also, even if Disney had bought the Sesame characters from Henson or even purchased the park itself in PA, Disney still would not be able open a "Sesame Street" in DHS -- because the name and concept of "Sesame Street" were (and remain) property of CTW/Sesame Workshop. Owning Big Bird, Oscar and Snuffy would not give them the rights to the "Sesame Street" name or concept -- those can only be sold/licensed by CTW/Sesame Workshop.

I haven't been in the TSM queue long enough to notice but does Mr Potato Head "insult" people even in the most tame way.

He is voiced by the god father of insult comedy.

also I've been hearing that Bugs life will replace Honey I Shrunk and Pizza Planet is going where Studio Catering was.

I would like to hear more on this....is this a current rumor or was a rumor years ago? If it is current, I hope if they redo Pizza Planet they will actually make it seem more like Pizza Planet...that has to be one of the biggest let down to a child to visit Pizza Planet at Disney World and it be nothing like the movie. They could at least have a claw game that you would win an actual alien!!!

I would like to hear more on this....is this a current rumor or was a rumor years ago? If it is current, I hope if they redo Pizza Planet they will actually make it seem more like Pizza Planet...that has to be one of the biggest let down to a child to visit Pizza Planet at Disney World and it be nothing like the movie. They could at least have a claw game that you would win an actual alien!!!

Yep, its brand new, I heard it from a family member. It would fit in perfectly with Pixar Place. I wish they would demolish the backlot tour and make some more rideable attractions as well.

It has been a rumor since TSM was going in and changed the land's or area's name to Pixar Place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter