Disney and Diabetics

JennSpencer

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! I wanted to touch on a subject that I don't think I have seen on the boards. I am a diabetic and in normal life I have a hard time controlling it. (not insulin dependent, yet) However when I am at Disney it's easier to handle. I know all diabetics are different, but for me I find that because Disney is not a stressful place for me and all of the walking we do my sugar is easier to control and I NEVER gain weight at Disney.

There are times when I become drained and that is when I have to stop and rest and have a small snack so I can keep going. (I am a park open to park close kind of girl. My Disney passion knows no boundaries!) I also find that I can have a few things that I normally would not eat, like Dole whip or an extra serving of mashed potatoes at Crystal Palace, or that delicious juice at Tusker House.

For me being a Disney Diabetic is not as challenging at it is here in the north east. (one day I hope to move to FL and be in the parks as much as possible)

So how do other diabetics handle the parks? Do you find it easier to control like I do or is it more difficult for you? Let's hear from some Disney Diabetics and your strategies for controlling your sugar while at Disney.

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited:
Diabetics have many different paths. Some are early on and control by diet and exercise, some are living in the wonderful land of denial 9great weather there too), some are insulin dependent, some are not and take many different cocktails

Some believe in moderation and some are strict low carb/high fat

Dining is a challenge often, not knowing what hidden sugars are in play.

be interesting to see the different strategies for success here :)

You state there are several things you "wouldn't not" normally eat but you do in Disney. A double negative like this actually means you do - a positive.
Is that what you meant?
How long have you been diagnosed? What age were you diagnosed at? I think these things come into play as well and I am curious about your answers

You state there are several things you "wouldn't not" normally eat but you do in Disney. A double negative like this actually means you do - a positive.
Is that what you meant?
How long have you been diagnosed? What age were you diagnosed at? I think these things come into play as well and I am curious about your answers

The "wouldn't not" was a mistake. LOL (it's edited now) I was diagnosed in Dec 2006 and I was 38.

On another note. I have heard from several people who say they have the same experience with their sugar at Disney. I think the walking is the key. So Disney is a diabetic's paradise! LOL

Thank You for the reply
I think the thing that is most important is that each person is different.
I am glad the low stress, and lots of walking help you control your sugar at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter