Disney Adventures Magazine to cease publication 11/07

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
Disney Adventures Magazine to cease publication 11/07

Lucia Moses
Mediaweek
August 22, 2007

Disney Publishing Worldwide will fold its Disney Adventures with the November issue to focus on new magazine and book efforts, a company spokesperson said.

Publisher Mary Beth Wright will stay at Disney Publishing as the publisher of parenting title FamilyFun, which Disney continues to publish, along with Wondertime (where Dave Mevorah is publisher). She became the publisher of both titles last year. The fate of the editor and other staffers has not been determined.

Subscribers will be offered a refund or a subscription to one of the other Disney Publishing titles.

Disney Adventures is the second casualty in the kid magazine category this year since MTV Networks folded its 638,679-circ Nick Jr. Family magazine with the April issue.

The Disney magazine launched in 1990 for kids ages 6-14. Disney Adventures reported 97.9 ad pages in the first half of this year, an increase of 4.5 percent vs. the year-ago period, according to Publishers Information Bureau. The title had a mostly subscriber-based circ of 1.2 million, per its most recent BPA audit of December 2006.

Figures, I just redeemed Disney Movie Rewards for a one-year subscription last week... aaarrrggghhh! You'd think if they planned to discontinue it, they wouldn't offer it any longer!

I too just ordered a subscription to this. I bet we won't even get one since the first issue was supposed to start around Nov!!

:sad1: First Disney Magazine and now DA? :confused3 Two terrific publications in our household. Very disappointing to have them cease publication.

Hmmmm......My kids get that, but I'm unsure of when their subscription expires.....I suppose I'll get something in the mail soon.

I still miss The Disney Magazine. It was such a wealth of information and really fed my yearning to go back to WDW. Am still sad that it is gone.

I still miss The Disney Magazine. It was such a wealth of information and really fed my yearning to go back to WDW. Am still sad that it is gone.

Me, too.:sad2:

My Kids will miss DA. It's one of the few things DS would pick up and read on his own.

I think it's weird that no other news about this is surfacing.
This is pretty much a major publication, something should be said about it.
If people are suscribed, they should be notified, or...something.
Anyone else agree?

It says that you'll be offered a subscription to another Disney publication....
I hate to sound "uninformed", but what are the other Disney publications?

Sounds like the marketing "geniuses" figure that "online publishing" is the way to go.
But they don't realize that the in-home presence is what ensures repeat patronage.

I sure do miss the disneyshopping catalog and certainly do a LOT less shopping now. I may visit the site once in a while, but their numerous "sale" emails are really naught more than spam to me.

perhaps they should try to figure out how it is that highlights and zoobooks are still viable printed media for kids...

awwww......

what are the other Disney publications?

This is truely a shame. DA was one mag that my DD would read, anywhere. She would take them outside or in the car with her, just about anywhere she went. She just loves doing the games and puzzles. All I need is my daughter spending more time in front of the computer. My DD just got the October issue yesterday. The mailing label did say that her subscription would expire in NOV 07. However, I am still getting renewal letters in the mail.

10/06 - Offsite
09/07 - POP
09/08 - Wilderness Lodge

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter