Disney adds a premium package to Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party

I don't mind feeding the dragon. They're providing me with experiences I love. Disney is always providing elaborate experiences to people willing to pay for them. I don't see what the big deal is. Why do people get mad because other people are willing to pay? I don't understand this.

Why does it make other people mad? Because at the end of the day we all end up paying more for less of an experience.

Disney sees that they can charge more for things because people like you just continue to toss money at them. Meanwhile, it has a ripple effect all the way down the chain.

Yeah, maybe you're not taking deserts from anyone, but you've got premium seats for a parade, seats that before this event would have gone to the people that already paid to get in the park.

The more people pay to do these things, the less disney is going to invest in their parks. Why would they? They have people handing them money like its falling off of trees for minimal investment.

Not to mention that after spending thousands and thousands of dollars on a trip, there are still things that you have to pay extra for.

But i keep referring to the "ultimate day of thrills" your $299 on top of a days worth of tickets...so really $350+ minimum...
For twelve rides, a relatively low cost/value ($40 if they feed you alot) lunch, and undoubtedly some "fun facts" from the your guide that can be read in any one of the 1000 Disney guidebooks.

For a family of 4 you're talking about $1400 for 1 full day in the MK, with the Halloween party, and the desert party. Absurdity .

The price of the ticket to the party itself is over the top, let alone now adding the "party ticket" at another $99. Here is what I'm seeing...GREED! and meanwhile they don't pay their employees enough to cover basic living expenses like food and shelter. It sickens me. And I own DVC for years because we were (are?) such Disney fans. But having personal knowledge of the hard work that the thousands do behind the scenes, and the mere pittance they are paid for that dedication..well this just makes me angry. Customers will suffer in the end. How much longer will those hard working people behind the scenes continue to do a great job when they have to apply for government assistance to supplement their income? I've noticed a decline over the past few years, and I think it's only going to get worse if they don't wake up. So $99 MORE for some desert and a better viewing area? Glad I don't have young kids anymore!:worried:

Disney has simply tapped into PT Barnum's philosophy and done so very well. I think that the jury is still out on whether this is a bad or not so bad value but it clearly is a money grab either way.

I personally wouldn't care if Disney does a lot of these if they ever seemed to bother to do anything besides these extras. Maybe they could do what they used to like build a new ride or provide some new entertainment. I don't mean a kiddie coaster and yet another meet and greet when I say that. I mean something amazing like an Everest or Tower of Terror.

Someone mentioned Disney avoiding stagnation. The ship has already sailed on that one.

Why does it make other people mad? Because at the end of the day we all end up paying more for less of an experience.

Disney sees that they can charge more for things because people like you just continue to toss money at them. Meanwhile, it has a ripple effect all the way down the chain.

Yeah, maybe you're not taking deserts from anyone, but you've got premium seats for a parade, seats that before this event would have gone to the people that already paid to get in the park.

The more people pay to do these things, the less disney is going to invest in their parks. Why would they? They have people handing them money like its falling off of trees for minimal investment.

Not to mention that after spending thousands and thousands of dollars on a trip, there are still things that you have to pay extra for.

I wish you luck in your quest to eliminate first class.

What a relief. There is hope in selling my ocean front property....in Kansas.

It's not that at all...
It's that they view their revenues and profits as a whole picture.

Capital construction of GUEST areas...meaning rides, restaurants, shops, entertainment...involves Disney swallowing a short or long loss in cash on hand to build things...
Employees for new things aren't free and are fairly hard to come buy in central Florida as well.

So why would they ever build anything Included in your hotel stay or tickets if you don't make them feel like they have too.

This is not your fathers Disney... That playful "lets build something neat" that uncle walt used to do and even - believe it or not - lingered through much of the Eisner years is gone.
Look at any of Iger's interviews or comments. He uses construction as a teaser to get you to keep buying...on a ridiculous construction schedule...I might add.

All three of the upper managers look at investment in parks as a "oh well...if we MUST" from all accounts I've seen.
That...is a paradigm shift and cause for worry - for everyone.

This "to each his own" mentality roughly translates to a "divide and conquer" management style that will...I fear...leave parks (wdw specifically) way overpriced and rundown long term. It's not about today.

If you want to stick your head in the sand on the big picture...at least own it. Don't insult those of us that want it better for EVERYONE...because if you read my rants (which I concede is a tough chore), that is the underlying message.

And Disney world...is NOT first class...it may have been built that way (debatable), but it is not run that way (personal experience...not as a tourist)...
It is priced first class... That is part of the problem and shouldn't make you feel better about yourself...with all due respect.

I still love it...but I don't want to see it crumble to dust for dividends. And that isn't something any fan should be willing to say "oh well, I guess all good things come to an end" about 30 years from now.

Fire away...

Who wants to eliminate first class? I think that most people just don't want normal everyday things to up being only for first class. No one wants to lose anything.

I've got no desire to do that.

The point went entirely over your head.

My point is that these people that throw money at Disney for things like this, are allowing Disney to be lazy.

Instead of actual investment in the parks, the people that are paying for these massively over priced functions, are basically telling Disney that they are doing a good job in the parks and resorts.

Let me put it this way, for me, Disney has jacked the prices so much in the past 5 years, and has done so little to improve the parks, that for more of my money, I demand something bigger and more imaginative from Disney.

Instead of seeing Disney as a Magical place, I'm starting to see it as a money grab.

In the past 5 years, this is what Disney has done:

2009 - American Idol Experience opens at Hollywood Studios; Sanaa restaurant and Kidani Village open at Animal Kingdom Lodge; Virgin Megastore closes and Characters In Flight attraction opens in Downtown Disney; Sum of All Thrills attraction opens at Epcot's Innoventions pavilion; Stitch's SuperSonic Celebration opens in Tomorrowland and Barack Obama added to Hall of Presidents in Magic Kingdom; WDW hosts first Princess Half Marathon weekend.

2010 - Captian EO returns, Kodak pulls sponsorship from Imaginiation! pavilion and redesigned exhibit "Smarter Planet" opens in Innoventions pavilion at Epcot.

2011 - Wild Africa Trek is introduced at Animal Kingdom; "Star Tours - The Adventure Continues", a new 3-D version of Star Tours opens at Disney's Hollywood Studios; and AMC Dine-In Theatres opens at Downtown Disney.

2012 - Art of Animation Resort built; Disney's Toontown Fair is closed to make room for Fantasyland expansion.

2013 - The Villas at Grand Floridian Resort open.

2014 - FLE Phase 2

For the price increases that have taken place over this time frame, its just flat out not good enough.

It's not that at all...

Capital construction of GUEST areas...meaning rides, restaurants, shops, entertainment...involves Disney swallowing a short or long loss in cash on hand to build things...
Employees for new things aren't free and are fairly hard to come buy in central Florida as well.

So why would they ever build anything Included in your hotel stay or tickets if you don't make them feel like they have too.

This is not your fathers Disney... That playful "lets build something neat" that uncle walt used to do and even - believe it or not - lingered through much of the Eisner years is gone.
Look at any of Iger's interviews or comments. He uses construction as a teaser to get you to keep buying...on a ridiculous construction schedule...I might add.

All three of the upper managers look at investment in parks as a "oh well...if we MUST" from all accounts I've seen.

This "to each his own" mentality roughly translates to a "divide and conquer" management style that will...I fear...leave parks (wdw specifically) way overpriced and rundown long term. It's not about today.

If you want to stick your head in the sand on the big picture...at least own it. Don't insult those of us that want it better for EVERYONE...because if you read my rants (which I concede is a tough chore), that is the underlying message.

And Disney world...is NOT first class...it may have been built that way (debatable), but it is not run that way (personal experience...not as a tourist)...
It is priced first class... That is part of the problem and shouldn't make you feel better about yourself...with all due respect.

I still love it...but I don't want to see it crumble to dust for dividends. And that isn't something any fan shouldn't be willing to say "oh well, I guess all good things come to an end" about 30 years from now.

Fire away...

nailed it.

It's not that at all...

I still love it...but I don't want to see it crumble to dust for dividends. And that isn't something any fan shouldn't be willing to say "oh well, I guess all good things come to an end" about 30 years from now.

Fire away...

Great post. And I've never heard it said that they use construction as a teaser, but you are exactly right. I mean, look at a park like Carowinds, announce a world class coaster (Fury 325) in mid August, will have it open in April, 8 months later. Now, granted it won't have the theming of a Disney attraction. But if you took another year to theme it, you would still be about 3-4 years ahead of a Disney schedule.

Great post. And I've never heard it said that they use construction as a teaser, but you are exactly right. I mean, look at a park like Carowinds, announce a world class coaster (Fury 325) in mid August, will have it open in April, 8 months later. Now, granted it won't have the theming of a Disney attraction. But if you took another year to theme it, you would still be about 3-4 years ahead of a Disney schedule.

I'll be watching this one going up, I live off of Carowinds Blvd, cannot wait for this new coaster.....

You're spot on though, it won't have the theming, but if it did, it wouldn't take a park like Carowinds nearly as long as it would take Disney.

I'll be watching this one going up, I live off of Carowinds Blvd, cannot wait for this new coaster.....

You're spot on though, it won't have the theming, but if it did, it wouldn't take a park like Carowinds nearly as long as it would take Disney.

We just moved from Charlotte in April to Orlando. Of course Carowinds would announce a genuinely exciting ride right after I move!

My biggest gripe with Disney is that IMO they should add an E ticket attraction every year, to one of the parks at WDW. Then add a smaller attraction every other year to each park (or refurb-something like new Star Tours or rumored Soarin 4k new movie). If you did that, every year you would have a major new attraction, a new minor attraction, and maybe a new refurb. This would keep me interested enough to renew passes. Whats the last two E attractions Disney opened? TSM and the Mine Train. IMO, the Mine Train would just barely qualify as an E ticket. No one in my family has asked to go back and ride it since our first ride.

It's not that at all...

Fire away...

I get what you're saying but I don't think these parties are a band-aid for lack of construction. It's special access. It's special atmosphere. Special interactions that people are paying for. I highly doubt anyone is thinking "oh I wanna pay $100 for dessert." They're paying for things they don't normally see. They're paying to see CRT turned into a dungeon. They're paying to see Lady Tremaine put on a show. They're paying to have special interactions with characters. Quite honestly I've paid $100 for dumber things. This could quite possibly be a phenomenal experience. Disney world isn't going to crumble to dust. I think there is still value in the price of admission. We just don't agree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter