Disney adding two new ships?

hmm,,, just me or does anyone else worry if they get too many boats things may wind up "out of order" like Carnival?
:confused3

Nope. I remember when the Magic first came out back in 1998.....DCL's plan always was to have a fleet of 10 ships. That may change, but they always wanted more ships.

MJ

I don't know of any good business model that does not include growth. DCL will expand unless they were just bleeding millions and they are not. So the only question is how soon will the new ships be built.

I think will be a huge plus for everyone (well, everyone except the competition) as there will be more available rooms to choose from, more ports of call to visit and the increase availability should drive prices down a little.

I don't know of any good business model that does not include growth. DCL will expand unless they were just bleeding millions and they are not. So the only question is how soon will the new ships be built.

I think will be a huge plus for everyone (well, everyone except the competition) as there will be more available rooms to choose from, more ports of call to visit and the increase availability should drive prices down a little.

Now if the new ships make Disney get more realistic in their pricing then MAYBE the others will worry, but.....

When Disney had just the two ships I understood the "mark up" Service was great, ship was fun etc.. But my trip on the Dream was not really any different from my trip on the RCCL megaship except it cost a LOT more.

I will do Disney in the future but that's because I can use my DVC points. For my cash cruises it's probably going to be a line with more realistic price points.

I will be very excited, gives me more travel options!! I cant wait to see where they will travel to!!!

Interesting..if that opens up more home ports ..hopefully one in the North east that would be fantastic IMO

I know the sailings out of NYC this past summer sold extremely well, so I'm not sure why they didn't continue that. Unless the NCL ship that's now permanently based here took that port slot.

hmm,,, just me or does anyone else worry if they get too many boats things may wind up "out of order" like Carnival?
:confused3
Carnival is the largest cruise ship line. They also own Costa and NCL. We know about the Costa Concordia and the other Carnival branded ships that ran into trouble. It's the consequences of offering very low-cost cruises, allowing for less budget to maintain the ships. Ship maintenance costs continue to rise and if a cruise line cuts a few corners, we see what's happening with Carnival now.
Provided DCL maintains their ships better than Carnival does, we'll be less likely to see the 'Out of Order'. Note that I say "Less Likely". It can still happen, but I hope not!

I know that there has been much speculation about this rumor for some time. I do not pretend to be an "insider," but I do not hesitate to listen and ask questions. For whatever it's worth, I posted these "rumors" in my trip report from May 15, 2012, after the first Hawaii cruise. Captain Fabian spent a lot of quality time with us. Specifically, see #4 below:

"Okay, as with all rumors, we tend to take these with a grain of salt. The information came from multiple and from independent sources, so they struck a cord of genuineness with us. Suffice it to say that these were not communicated by the equivalent of a WDW "bus driver" :

1. The Magic and the Wonder are going in for extensive (six or more weeks) dry docks in 2013 and 2014 respectively. All of the restaurants and lounges on each ship will be gutted and rethemed. All public areas are being replaced. Although it will be impossible to duplicate all of what exists on the Dream and Fantasy, there will be a theme of consistency among all of the ships. Animator's Palate on both the Magic and Wonder will be reworked into the new version of the Dream and Fantasy.

2. Engineers are working very hard to add the Outlook Bar to the Magic, but because of the way it was built (apparently structurally different than the Wonder) it has so far been impossible to design and implement. If it can be done (a big if), it will be added in the next dry dock.

3. A new, permanent female manager is being hired for Palo on the Wonder. A new hire from another cruise line, she will replace the temporary, rotational manager system currently being used. (As an aside, Roy was our Palo manager and, even though he was temporary, he did a great job. Very professional.)

4. DCL has already signed the options to build two new ships with the same German shipyard, even though there are denials to the contrary. DCL liked the efficiency and timeliness of the building of the Dream and the Fantasy. No public announcement will be made for some time, but the new ships will be smaller than the Dream and Fantasy, closer to the Wonder and Magic-sized ships (in the 90,000 to 95,000 ton range)."

Carnival is the largest cruise ship line. They also own Costa and NCL. We know about the Costa Concordia and the other Carnival branded ships that ran into trouble. It's the consequences of offering very low-cost cruises, allowing for less budget to maintain the ships. Ship maintenance costs continue to rise and if a cruise line cuts a few corners, we see what's happening with Carnival now.
Provided DCL maintains their ships better than Carnival does, we'll be less likely to see the 'Out of Order'. Note that I say "Less Likely". It can still happen, but I hope not!

That's news to me... I always thought NCL was owned by Star Cruises. :goodvibes

Carnival Corp does in fact own CCL, Costa, Cunard, Princess, Holland America, P&O, Seabourn, and some other smaller lines. Overall I think Carnival Corp has about half of the cruising industry.

I'm not sure I'd subscribe to the theory that it's bad management and cost cutting that causes these problems. I'd attribute it more to the law of probability. If you take two competing cab companies, one with 4 cars and one with 50, the company with 50 cars will experience more maintenance issues, accidents, bad drivers, etc simply because there's more opportunity.

Adding ships could have a lot of benefits. DCL's cost aren't going to go up proportionally with revenue, because of efficiencies gained in overhead. So more ships could actually result in the same level of service, and a lower price point, and DCL makes more money. Win-win-win if you ask me.

Carnival is the largest cruise ship line. They also own Costa and NCL.

Carnival Corporation's portfolio of brands is huge, but the does NOT include NCL.

From Hoovers, a business information provider:

Carnival offers a boatload of fun. The company is the world's #1 cruise operator, boasting about a dozen cruise lines and about 100 ships with a total passenger capacity of more than 190,000. Carnival operates in North America primarily through its Princess Cruise Line, Holland America, and Seabourn luxury cruise brand, as well as its flagship Carnival Cruise Lines unit. Brands such as AIDA, P&O Cruises, and Costa Cruises offer services to passengers in Europe, and the Cunard Line runs luxury trans-Atlantic liners. Carnival operates as a dual-listed company with UK-based Carnival plc, forming a single enterprise under a unified executive team.​

I'm not sure I'd subscribe to the theory that it's bad management and cost cutting that causes these problems. I'd attribute it more to the law of probability. If you take two competing cab companies, one with 4 cars and one with 50, the company with 50 cars will experience more maintenance issues, accidents, bad drivers, etc simply because there's more opportunity.

I am afraid if you match the same number of ships that Carnival Inc. has, with the same number of ships from any other lines together.....you will find that carnival has many times over more of the major accidents/incidents and fires, not to mention 1 sinking (the Concordia) with 32 deaths. That was not only the fault of the Captain, but other officers(2 other facing charges) and the office staff of Costa(3 facing charges). In fact the investigation is extending to Carnival Inc..

This is not only due to poor management and operational policies. It is also due to design problems of some of their vessels. They are finnialy now making some correction in the design issues.

Time will tell of they follow though with the review of the problems with there vessels. They certainty did not as promised after the Splendor fire.

AKK

I am afraid if you match the same number of ships that Carnival Inc. has, with the same number of ships from any other lines together.....you will find that carnival has many times over more of the major accidents/incidents and fires, not to mention 1 sinking (the Concordia) with 32 deaths. That was not only the fault of the Captain, but other officers(2 other facing charges) and the office staff of Costa(3 facing charges). In fact the investigation is extending to Carnival Inc..

This is not only due to poor management and operational policies. It is also due to design problems of some of their vessels. They are finnialy now making some correction in the design issues.

Time will tell of they follow though with the review of the problems with there vessels. They certainty did not as promised after the Splendor fire.

AKK

I like the cab analogy. My thinking about Disney is they are customer focused and know how to attract people and keep them coming back. Some 200+ million people visit Disney parks each year. This is 20x the number of people that take cruise vacation on all the cruise lines in the world. Disney knows the value or trust and public relations and is carful to guard their brand. I think Carnival could have done a better job the PR front. It would have cost them more money up front but saved them millions in the long run. My thought after the last disaster would be to announce they were giving each passenger a $10,000 travel voucher! Then you'd have people anxious to sail with Carnival in hopes that they might be so luch as to have the ship break down so the could get their $10k.

Quick PR story. Remember back in the 80s when someone put poisen pills in Tylenol bottles and some people got killed? How Tylenol handled this saved the company! Even though this was a local event and they were not liable, they made the decision to pull every single bottle of Tylenol across the nation and tremendous cost to them. They went on the offense and got in front of it and were viewed as having "done the right thing". And today the are one of the most trust and successful drugs.

I think Carnival could have learned a thing or two from Tylenol.

I like the cab analogy. My thinking about Disney is they are customer focused and know how to attract people and keep them coming back. Some 200+ million people visit Disney parks each year. This is 20x the number of people that take cruise vacation on all the cruise lines in the world. Disney knows the value or trust and public relations and is carful to guard their brand. I think Carnival could have done a better job the PR front. It would have cost them more money up front but saved them millions in the long run. My thought after the last disaster would be to announce they were giving each passenger a $10,000 travel voucher! Then you'd have people anxious to sail with Carnival in hopes that they might be so luch as to have the ship break down so the could get their $10k.

Quick PR story. Remember back in the 80s when someone put poisen pills in Tylenol bottles and some people got killed? How Tylenol handled this saved the company! Even though this was a local event and they were not liable, they made the decision to pull every single bottle of Tylenol across the nation and tremendous cost to them. They went on the offense and got in front of it and were viewed as having "done the right thing". And today the are one of the most trust and successful drugs.

I think Carnival could have learned a thing or two from Tylenol.

I totally agree!. Of course with Carnival the design issues have been noted for awhile, but no action was taken until now....(they are putting redundant electrical systems on both the Triumph and the Destiny, soon to be Sunshine)

It would have been a lot cheaper for them. The cancellations are way up and the bookings are way down.

AKK

P.S. Ever go read over a CC, the Carnival threads?......it's a war zone there

Silverfox97 said:
No! In fact, the prospects are exciting! Oh the places they'll go!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

If Disney knows anything, it's how to run an operation smoothly. Not saying mistakes are never made but it doesn't take long for them to get their (Donald) ducks in a row.

:thumbsup2 DLC need to come out with the Walmart policy....."we will match prices".........don't you think? :thumbsup2

So lets lower the prices at WDW, for every action there is equal and opposite reaction. More people less profits. Its like tolls on bridges some people want them so it makes it harder for more to come.

NEW SHIPS WILL BE WORKING WITH NEW WDW DOWN UNDER .

This may help shed some light on what a cruiseline does.

When a cruiseline starts a new itinerary, it usually an smaller vessel that is sent. In DCLs case, its the Magic. Theres a few reasons why, but primarily its the size of the ship.

When a cruiseline tries out a port, theres a lot of uncertainty. (I had this discussion with my son last night). They arent going to send a 4000 room ship somewhere if they arent sure of the dembhand. So they send a smaller ship to test the waters. If it works out, great. If not, as in the case of Galveston, DCL wasnt trying to fill a 4000 passenger ship, they had a 2500 passenger ship, so there was some safety factor built in so the ship would make money, as opposed to sending say the Dream there, and losing money because of the lack of passengers onboard. (Its easier to fill the smaller ships plain and simple)

2nd, is that the smaller ship may have outgrown the current port. Say PC for instance. If DCL was selling out say 95% of its cruises year round,(Im just making up the number) on the Magic class ships, it would make sense to put the bigger ships there to
A. Satisfy guest demand,
B. Give DCL the option to try something new. In this case, DCL tried Galveston. Unfortunately it didnt work (At least it looks like it didnt).

I think what we are seeing is DCLs attempt to find new homes for the Magic class.

DCL most likely has a 5 year 10 year and 20 year plan. When Mexico started having issues, and the Middle East threw a monkey wrench in to the Med plans, DCL was forced to find places for the Magic class to go, and accelerate the plans. Alot of this is probably earlier then DCL would have liked.

3 ships at Port Canaveral for example. The Dream and Magic are basically sharing the same itin. It worked for Carnival. A ship in Miami for half the year. (Granted the itins are the best, but DCL can guage the likelyhood of guests traveling to Miami. )

I think in the 2015 itinerary well probably see more wide spread carribean itins.

Just in case you did not know it DCL signed a 7 year contact for Fantasy and Dream at PC with port commission for terminal. So they have 5 more yrs before you see them any were else.

Look for a 6 month sailing out of New Orleans. New TERMINAL coming and they are making offers now. I will be on first cruise 56 miles from front door.

I think if DCL would have used Port Tampa instead of Galveston....that itin would have worked very well.....and also right up I-4 about 1 hour and 30 minutes WDW would have come in to play.......filling up Disneys pocket-book even more......It's not to late DCL...wake up. Who wants to travel 4.5 hrs. from WDW down to Miami for a cruise. I am not.

Who is going to pay to dreg the channel into Tampa, and will Fla let you. Only small cruise ships work out of tampa have friends who sail on them all the time love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!