• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney’s Polynesian Resort is Changing in a Big Way

No one at Disney has ever said that the changes to the lobby are due to needing a larger check in area. Only people on forums have been saying that.

They are going to redesign the lobby and remove the water feature for many reasons and none of them that I have heard from anyone working on the project ever said that they needed a larger check in area.

They do want a new look to the lobby and the water feature takes up a lot of square footage. Not that I want to see it go but I know the problems they have been having with it for more than a decade. I won’t get into the details about the problems with the water feature because people just start to argue with me about it but it needs to come out or be replaced. The new concept has a more open feel (not like an airport) and will have some water elements but not like the water feature that is there now. Also many things need to be replaced to remove the remaining asbestos and to bring the building in compliance with ADA laws.

People may or may not like it after it is done but there is a simple fix to that problem. If you don’t like it, don’t visit the resort. I for one will wait and see how it turns out in the end. If I don’t like the new lobby better than the old then I will appreciate the resort for the other things I do enjoy.

Well Phooey! I was planning to go to Captain Cooks to get Tonga Toast on 3/23. So its not going to be available?

No one at Disney has ever said that the changes to the lobby are due to needing a larger check in area. Only people on forums have been saying that.

They are going to redesign the lobby and remove the water feature for many reasons and none of them that I have heard from anyone working on the project ever said that they needed a larger check in area.

They do want a new look to the lobby and the water feature takes up a lot of square footage. Not that I want to see it go but I know the problems they have been having with it for more than a decade. I won’t get into the details about the problems with the water feature because people just start to argue with me about it but it needs to come out or be replaced. The new concept has a more open feel (not like an airport) and will have some water elements but not like the water feature that is there now. Also many things need to be replaced to remove the remaining asbestos and to bring the building in compliance with ADA laws.

People may or may not like it after it is done but there is a simple fix to that problem. If you don’t like it, don’t visit the resort. I for one will wait and see how it turns out in the end. If I don’t like the new lobby better than the old then I will appreciate the resort for the other things I do enjoy.

So don't want to bug the crap out of ya, but you say that the current plan is to add some smaller water features to the area? Overall I am not worried about it. I have confidence that they will do fine.

Well Phooey! I was planning to go to Captain Cooks to get Tonga Toast on 3/23. So its not going to be available?

It is not expected to close until a few days later but even at the temporary location it will have the same menu.

So don't want to bug the crap out of ya, but you say that the current plan is to add some smaller water features to the area? Overall I am not worried about it. I have confidence that they will do fine.

Not bugging me at all. Yes there will be a water element to the new design but nothing like what is there now.

I am completely, 100% against the removal of the center water feature. I get the removal of asbestos, maintenance issues with the fountain and ADA compliance babble, but why can't those things be addressed while maintaining the iconic center feature? I can't believe for the life of me that the only logical solution is to axe it completely. Isn't this the same company that turned swamp land into the most visited place on the planet, constructed a gigantic golf ball as an attraction that millions ride annualy and replicated Yellowstone's Lodge in the middle of Orlando, FL (actually, they made it better)?

I suppose I shouldn't get my "bloomers" in a wad until we see the finished product, but I don't like the sound of it and can't see this being an improvement. I hope I eat my words, but don't see that happening. If a new gift shop opens up in the center of the GCH where the fountain once was, we'll know for sure that the bean counters know exactly what's best for us and our beloved resorts, and that the guest experience means absolutely nothing.

Not bugging me at all. Yes there will be a water element to the new design but nothing like what is there now.

Ok good as long as there are some water features. I am fine with anything new as long as it looks good. I am not going to get upset if the giant water feature comes down.

What this hotel needs is not to remove a waterfall or create mini check-in kiosks in place of the large desk, but to add TWO JACUZZIS.
This is a deluxe resort with a price higher than that of the Contemporary and it doesn't even have hot tubs. Ridiculous.

Sort of envisioning that it may be somewhat like a Polynesian-themed version of the water element that's in the WL lobby (perhaps it will run out of the back of the lobby toward the pool).

There has to be a water element in that lobby and don't mess with the water outside in the front either. I like those huge cascading water walls....but those are everywhere. :confused3

I think many will be pleasantly surprised when the remodel is finished. I visited Disneyland in 2012 and spent many hours enjoying Tangaroa Terrace and Trader Sam's. Trader Sam's is Disney magic at its best and will be a welcome and much needed addition to the Polynesian Resort. Lately Disney has been sparing no expense to detail and I would feel this will only continue with the remodel of the Poly. The great ceremonial house has been plague with issues for years and I am glad the resort is getting the TLC it needs. :smickey:

I'm just waiting to see how expensive those water bungalows are going to be. 18 water bungalows with view of the magic kingdom and wishes just think of the price.

Price as part of DVC? Or Rack rate? I'm sure they'll have a rack rate but I doubt they'll make it to cash pricing very often.

I am going in October, and was planning on eating at Kona because it's a personal favorite of mine...do you think it's worth it to eat there in October or will it be just too heartbreaking to see:confused3

I say go for it. Even with the hotel under construction that wont stop the food at Kona from being amazing. ;)

What if they cost 2,000 dollars?? What will we do?
I can almost guarantee those poly bungalows will be the most expensive rooms on property. Think of the castle views, firework views, water pageant views, being on water, and there are only 20 of them. All of those things ads up to be $$$$.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter