• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneland and California Adventure with a One Year Old

Hollymom1229

Art's Girl
Hello all, while I'm from the East Coast and do most of my Disney trips to WDW, I'm going to California in May to visit some friends and on May 2 - 4 we will be staying at the Grand Californian Villas and going to the parks for a couple of days. My friends have a daughter who just turned 1 y.o. in late March. We are trying to figure out what all we can ride with a child that age between the two parks. I know Fantasyland has significantly more rides at DL, but not sure what all is there. Also do they do child swap at DLR like they do at WDW? Thanks for all the help.

She can ride anything at either park that doesn't have a height restriction. There's quite a bit at both parks. Off the top of my head...

At DL:
Pirates
Small World
Carousel
Buzz Lightyear Blasters
Dumbo
Astro Orbiter
all of the Fantasyland rides
Nemo
Tiki Room
Jungle Cruise
Haunted Mansion
probably Autopia (32" min)
Winnie the Pooh

At DCA:
all of the Bug's Land rides
Monster's Inc
Little Mermaid
Mickey's Fun Wheel (do the stationary ones)
Toy Story
Muppet's Movie
Disney Jr Show (toddlers LOVE this)
Turtle Talk with Crush
Carousel

They do Child Swap on most height restricted rides, however, we usually just get enough FPs for all the adults and take turns with one person staying with the little one. (You can use the baby's ticket to get extra FPs as well.)

Should be able to ride anything w/o a height restriction (and probably nothing w/ one). They do have rider swap, but don't count on getting an extra FP w/ the baby's ticket (since you don't have one or need one until you're 3).

What you can actually go on depends on the child, some are frightened easily by dark rides, others aren't.

Great tips for the rides!!

Also, at the GCH there is a Graco Pack n play in the closet, which is great so baby can sleep in there!! (In case your friends didn't know)

I'd recommend to them to get a good baby carrier, like an ergo or beco to bring, in addition to their stroller. It's a great way to carry baby around the parks!!

And my tip for you is to be the most awesome friend around and take tons of family photos of them together at the park. That's the hardest and most impossible thing to do as a family when there is no one else with you. My most cherished pictures are the ones with the 3 of us together. There aren't very many of them, and I wish there were more, but they are the best. So just keep snapping away pictures of them. Trust me, they'll so appreciate it!! And you'll be the best friend ever!!

Should be able to ride anything w/o a height restriction (and probably nothing w/ one). They do have rider swap, but don't count on getting an extra FP w/ the baby's ticket (since you don't have one or need one until you're 3).

What you can actually go on depends on the child, some are frightened easily by dark rides, others aren't.

Duh! Good call on the baby not having a ticket. I'm used to using my 3 year old's ticket. Also, if just 1 or 2 of the grown ups are riding a ride, consider Single Rider when available instead of FP. The SR lines for Indy and California Screamin' are usually less than a 10 minute wait. We were just there a few days ago and we got Star Tours FP first thing, then DH rode Indy using Single Rider while I took the kids to Tiki Room (he was done first). Then I rode Indy with SR while he took the kids on Jungle Cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter