Dismaland?

RJMC

Mouseketeer
Internationally acclaimed street artist, Banksy, has banned Disney's lawyers from entering his new theme park, Dismaland.

DISMALAND%202.jpg

The park, in Weston-super-Mare, is a sinister twist on Disneyland, featuring a fire-ravaged Disney-style castle, and with very similar branding to Disney's theme parks.

The website includes the small print: "The following are strictly prohibited in the Park – spray paint, marker pens, knives and legal representatives of the Walt Disney Corporation."

DISMALAND%203.jpg

The Disney inspired 'theme park' style art installation also features work from Damien Hirst, Jenny Holzer and Jimmy Cauty.

The park has been set up in the British seaside town of Weston Super Mare in a former lido, the Tropicana, which the controversial artist used as a child.

It is situated on the beach in the Somerset seaside town. It is described on its website as "a festival of art, amusements and entry-level anarchism".

It comes complete with a fairytale castle, a boat pond full of asylum seekers, two ballet-performing juggernauts and an anarchist training camp running classes in how to break into bus billboards.

DISMALAND%202.jpg

The exhibition includes 10 never-before-seen pieces from Banksy himself, all along thought-provoking themes and displaying his trademark controversial edge.

The name Dismaland comes from a piece of graffiti from 2012, which says: "Welcome to Dismaland... Life isn't always a fairytale"

Locals will be allowed to enter the site today and general members of the public will be admitted from tomorrow. It will be open for five weeks.

Demand for the 4,000 tickets per day - with viewing sessions scheduled from 11am-6pm and 7-11pm - is expected to be sky-high.

Last edited:
Banksy is over-rated.

Before Banksy we had Dean where we lived - he was EVERYWHERE and no-one knew who he was. OK, he wasn't as artistic or politically motivated as Banksy but at least everyone knew his name!

Yeah I get that but famous or popular doesn't make you wonderful.

Yeah I get that but famous or popular doesn't make you wonderful.

Oh yes, perfectly true. For the record, I like Banksy's art form and political statements, but they're not for everybody. I for one really don't like or understand the works of Tracey Emin - those bed and tent concoctions really left me baffled.

We have a Banksy just around the corner from where we live, of two policemen kissing in passionate embrace. Apparently he said that it was a poke at homophobia, but some sad individuals tried to deface it. It's been removed now and a replica put in place behind a screen.

I'll put it on my to do list somewhere between 867,427 and 942,189.

Unfortunately, too often, modern art, and I do use the term loosely, does nothing but serve the vanity of the artist and his groupies none of which truly know good art from bad. They think most people either don't like it or don't care because somehow they don't have the intellect to grasp the deep inner meaning. Uh no trust me. We got it. And it's still not worth our time. As for this one, I have nothing against it. I got a chuckle out of it. But somehow, I don't think that is what the artist was going for.

I also like it, but I like Banksy and a lot of other street artists. Walking down Melrose, there's a new surprise almost every day and I consider a lot of it much better than some modern stuff deemed worthy of being placed in a museum. Art, like food, is so highly subjective.

That place looks so cool.

Although I liked his stuff, it seemed to me that his politics are a bit "on the nose", so when I sat down to watch "Exit Through the Gift Shop" - the "documentary" about him (or not him, as he's a bit of a hall-of-mirrors guy) I was shocked to see how funny, aware, and self-deprecating he was. Not the self-important artist I thought he'd be.

Not for everyone's taste, but then who is?

I have no problem with art that is political, or critical of culture, or whatever. But that sort of art isn't automatically better than the type of art that is optimistic and attempts to uplift people. In my opinion anyone who doesn't think Disney World is art, has never been. Or went for one day. When they were 7. At 1pm. On July 4th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter