• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disillusioned with SSR

bluejean

Earning My Ears
I am buying 200 points for SSR and am in the process of signing the documents and sending them back. My use year is Dec and we will get our first 200 points December 1, 2003. I knew I couldn't use the points until after May 1, 2004 when SSR opens but I called to make sure I could make a reservation in December for some time after May 1st. We really want to stay at BCV in June and I'd like to make the reservation as soon as I can. I was told we can make reservations for SSR beginning Dec. 1, 2003, but can't make reservations anywhere else until after May 1, 2004. I was so disappointed. If I have to wait until May to make a reservation for BCV in June, I'll never get it. I'm wondering if it's this difficult for me the first year, what will future years be like? I'm thinking of not signing and asking for my deposit back. This wasn't explained when we did the tour and I'm afraid of future "surprises".

Unfortunately, what you said is true.

You will not be able to make a reservation for a resort other than SSR until after SSR opens. I'm not sure why. I think it has something to do with not being able to use your pts until your home resort is actually open. DVC may even be required to do it this way.

I regret that this wasn't explained to you. My guide didn't explain it either but only because I already know from reading these boards.

I'm not sure if you will be able to get your time at the BCV but what about SSR?

There are a couple of positives in this situation. You can make SSR reservations 2 months before anyone else can this year and well before that the other years. You get pts this December that you can use next year.

Normally, after this initial year you shouldn't have any problem getting what you want as long as you call at the 7 month window if you want to travel to a resort other than your home one at a busy time. We've never really had a problem with availability at resorts.

Are you always going to be staying at BCV? If you intend on always using your SSR pts for BCV then you may occasionally run into a problem.

We will stay at SSR in the future and like the location, but our 8 year old son is begging to stay at BCV so he can spend time at SAB. We thought it would be nice to stay there our first time and then go to SSR and the others.

You will hear it often on these boards..."buy where you want to stay."

If you plan on trying to stay at the BCV in the future, maybe you should cancel the SSR purchase and look for a resale at the BCV or go on a waiting list with Disney for the BCV.

As more people buy at SSR it will only get more difficult to book the BCV at the 7 month window. This is obviously something that the guides are not telling perspective purchasers at SSR.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

HBC

Originally posted by bluejean
I was told we can make reservations for SSR beginning Dec. 1, 2003, but can't make reservations anywhere else until after May 1, 2004.

You might want to call and speak with your guide again. My understanding is that, after December 1, 2003, SSR owners may make reservations at any DVC resort for dates beginning with May 1, 2004. Other owners can make SSR reservations (for May 1 or later) on February 4, 2004. The normal 11/7 month reservation priority still applies for all reservations.

Please check again and let us know the outcome.

Good luck!

I am buying 200 points for SSR and am in the process of signing the documents and sending them back. My use year is Dec and we will get our first 200 points December 1, 2003. I knew I couldn't use the points until after May 1, 2004 when SSR opens but I called to make sure I could make a reservation in December for some time after May 1st. We really want to stay at BCV in June and I'd like to make the reservation as soon as I can. I was told we can make reservations for SSR beginning Dec. 1, 2003, but can't make reservations anywhere else until after May 1, 2004. I was so disappointed. If I have to wait until May to make a reservation for BCV in June, I'll never get it. I'm wondering if it's this difficult for me the first year, what will future years be like? I'm thinking of not signing and asking for my deposit back. This wasn't explained when we did the tour and I'm afraid of future "surprises".

Well, I think the only thing that Disney has possibly done wrong here is not explain the situation thoroughly enough.

The folks buying at SSR are still getting a better deal than those who have used magical beginnings recently. You are getting a $10/point discount, but not having to return your 1st year's points. I think that's worth a tiny inconvenience for just the 1st trip. You can always make ressies at SSR and waitlist for BCV.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I believe the reason for not being able to make ressies anywhere but SSR until it opens has alot to do with the SSR inventory not being available in the system. It's unfair for the other owners if you can make a reservation for a time at their resort when they can't make one for yours. As an owner at the BCV, I don't want the SSR folks being able to take rooms at my home resort until I have the right to take rooms at theirs.

Also, remember that this is just the 1st year and an isolated incident. You can't compare the next 49 years with this one. After a few months, things will be normal and you'll be able to use the 11/7 month windows like everyone else. Future years will be easier to get what you want, not harder.

I'm not trying to step on your toes, but it seems like you're mad because you can't have what you want, not because the system is horrible. After this year, you'll be using the same system that 75,000+ other members are perfectly happy using. If you're not satisfied with DVC you certainly have the right to not buy it, but this doesn't seem like much of a reason not to. There have never been any "surprises" for me. I wish I had been offered the deal SSR buyers are getting.

Originally posted by Chadm
You can always make ressies at SSR and waitlist for BCV.

Actually, this is exactly what we are planning to do if we decide to go earlier than originally planned (DEC 04)...this way you have a room reserved, but there's still that chance of getting into BCV if it's something you really want.

bluejean, why don't you show your son the pictures of the pool at SSR? The rock slide looks really cool! I know I can't wait to try this one out! :cool:kid at heart:cool:

Hi,

This was a small source of confusion for me initially, but it does state the SSR reservations conditions on the "Product Understanding Checklist." This is one of the first sheets that is included in the SSR contract papers. (I'm not sure, but I think it might also be distributed during a tour or upon a request for information.)

Anyway, # 7 of the Product Understand Checklist reads...

"You may begin to make reservations at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort on December 1, 2003 (or at other DVC Resorts as soon as you purchase) <font=bold>for stays beginning on or after your unit is available for occupancy."</font>

I think it is a little confusing because it says "or at other DVC resorts as soon as you purchase" (but this could be true if you chose the developer points benefit instead of the discount.)

Anyway, I felt it was pretty clear from this. I also just assumed we wouldn't be able to make reservations for other places until the resort opened because being able to make reservations in December using the 2003 points especially for SSR was sort of a gift from Disney.

Thanks for all the information. Being new at this, I didn't realize that purchasers from other resorts had to give back their first years points - ouch. I just don't get why I can't make reservations for BCV with my points in December for June, when SSR will already be opened. I'll quit my whining and be happy.

I just don't get why I can't make reservations for BCV with my points in December for June, when SSR will already be opened. I'll quit my whining and be happy.

As I already stated, you should definitely check with your DVC guide on this.

As disneycrazed139 posted "# 7 of the Product Understand Checklist reads...

"You may begin to make reservations at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort on December 1, 2003 (or at other DVC Resorts as soon as you purchase) for stays beginning on or after your unit is available for occupancy."

The wording of that supports the understanding given when I took the tour- as of Dec 1, 2003- SSR owners may make reservations at any DVC resort for dates beginning with May 1, 2004.

You should be able to make a reservation (based on availability) at BCV for next June if you call on December 1, 2003. Definitely confirm it with your guide.

Good Luck!

Bluejean--now I am not so sure. I think Doc is right. After you check with your guide, please post back to let us know what you found out. Thanks and good luck!

I also recently bought at SSR. I asked both my guide and quality assurance about this subject. You can make reservations at SSR beginning on dec 1 for stays after May 1. BUT, you can still book at the 7 month window for any other resort like anyone else, as long as your stay will be after May 1. So, you should be able to book for BCV in Nov for a June visit.

SSR resort has to be added to the club before one can make reservations at other resorts using those points. Since non SSR owners can't make reservations at SSR until Feb, that suggests to me that it will not be officially added to the club until at least Feb. My guess is you'll have to wait until at least Feb to make non SSR reservations. I doubt it you're restricted until it actually opens though. I'd call your guide and let us know what's said. Making SSR reservations then changing to the alternative is the best option regardless.

I know this is not the best use of points, but if you really have your heart set on SAB for your first trip you could use your points at the YC. When we bought into DVC three years ago, it was too late to get into a DVC resort for our President's week trip. Everything was already booked. We ended up using our points at the YC. Not quite the same as a DVC villa, but we were using our points for the first time and we were thrilled! Hope everything works out for you!

There seems to be some confusion as to when Members who purchase DSSR can make reservations. Listed below is the correct information I got from a reliable source:

* DSSR Members booking a DSSR reservation (with DSSR Vacation Points) - can begin making these reservations starting December 1, 2003 for stays that begin on or after the opening date of the building that they purchased in.

* DSSR Members booking another DVC Resort (with DSSR Vacation Points) - can begin making reservations as of the purchase date and according to the 7-month booking window guidelines (non-home resort)

* DSSR Members booking a Member Getaways (with DSSR Vacation Points) - can begin booking once their contract is closed and the building they purchased into is available for occupancy

* All other DVC Members booking a DSSR reservation (using non-DSSR Vacation Points) - can begin making these reservations starting February 4, 2004

According to my guide,Dean has it right.SSR owners can use SSR points for other resorts beginning February 1st.

...but only for stays that occur after closing (May) I believe. Correct? You can make the reservations in February for dates after closing following the 7 month window.

I believe you can only make reservations in Feb. for stays that are after SSR opens because if you take a trip before your closing date-which would be around April or May then that could be a problem for DVC if for some reason you never close.

That's interesting you're hearing February. When I called Member Services, they told me I couldn't make reservations for resorts other than SSR until May 1, 2004. I understand perfectly why we can't stay anywhere until after May 1, 2004, but they were clear that I couldn't even book it until May 1, 2004. I called my guide, Mark, to ask him what he knew and he really didn't know anything. He told me to wait until December 1st, call Member Services and see what they allow me to do. Great advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter