• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dishes that I can freeze?

sharbear

DIS Veteran
We are going to a cottage for two weeks and I would like to make meals that I can freeze here and cook there. I don't mind cooking but it's not something I want to do on vacation. Hey, it's my vacation also! What can I freeze and what can't be frozen. I would like to make some breakfast casseroles, do you think that they could be frozen. Also any ideas for fast and easy meals. Anything to make eating easier.

We are going somewhere that does not have many grocery stores and the ones that they do have are very expensive. It's much easier for me to take food from home. We have lots of room and I'd rather grocery shop at home than on vacation!

Thanks!

Some foods I have frozen are:
Lasagna (not cooked yet)
chicken pot pie (cook then freeze)

You could also bring pasta sauce and just heat it up

My suggestion is to think about grilling. I have marinated meats, them froze them. This way you don't have to turn the oven on, just cook them outside.

If you are not sure your destination has a grill, they make small portable ones you could bring with you.

I cook ground beef, divide it into 1 lb. portions and freeze it. When I'm ready to cook all I do is add to my dish. I use it to make spag. sauce, tacos, Hamburger Helper, etc.

Chicken pot pie is also good to make and freeze. I cook chicken in crock pot and then mix a large can of veg. all and cream of chicken soup with the cooked chicken. I put this in a store bought pie shell and freeze. All you have to do is cook it in oven until warm and bubbly.

Hope these help.

Have fun on vacation!

If grilling is an option, I also vote for that! I found a bunch of good "dump" recipes on a site someone posted here last summer. Sometimes we have grilled chicken 4-5 nights in a row & never feel like we're eating the same thing because they taste so different. ;)

I, too, brown hamburger & freeze in meal-sized packs. I use it for making chili & what was already posted. (If you don't add rice to your chili, it also freezes good.) I do the same thing with chicken - although I cook it in the crock pot, shred & freeze. It's great for Chicken Helper, chicken salad, well you name it!

When I make lasagna, meatloaf & macaroni/cheese, I usually make double the amount & freeze the 2nd. However, I do cook them - at least for 75% of the required time - usually the entire time. Just don't leave it in the oven until it gets "too" brown. I also have to say that I rarely make lasagna - usually I do baked ziti as it's easier.

Sorry, I don't know about breakfast casseroles. I've never frozen any - I'm not sure how the eggs would get.

Thanks a lot, I'll try some of these ideas. I love the chicken breasts in the crockpot, I'll be sure to do that.

Maybe search the web for "Once A Month Cooking" type recipes...since that is the whole theory you want.

Here's a few sites to get you started. I even remember a message board where you could ask what freezes well.

http://members.aol.com/OAMCLoop/index.html
http://snider.mardox.com/
http://www.30daygourmet.com/
http://www.mindspring.com/~debv/keepers.htm

Breakfast Burritos from that last website was one of the first things that came to my find when you mentioned breakfast.

I do alot of these type recipes for easy meals after work. (cook then freeze)
Try, stuffed peppers
Shephards Pie
Anything pasta with any sauce with anything in it.
Mac & cheese too.
Lasagna
Chili
Meatballs (use w/ pasta, in subs, or as sweet & sour meatballs)
Meatloaf (sliced or mini)
Mini pizzas on pita breads or english muffins

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter