Disgusting guest behavior in Jungle Cruise line

I'm so perplexed by people saying that the risk of spreading disease is no worse than those who don't wash their hands after going #2-- as if that makes it OK!! I mean, come on--if someone goes #2 and doesn't wash their hands afterwards--that is REALLY gross!!! Yes, we should teach our kids not to put their hands in their mouths and to wash their hands before eating--germy surfaces are germy surfaces all over--but we can try to keep our germs to ourselves as best as possible.

I actually don't care a ton about this particular circumstance. I don't mind watching people change kids' diapers and don't really care about kids being exposed because it's kind of par for the course. However, I DO care about it at restaurants and on restaurant tables, where contamination of things about to enter your mouth is a real and present risk. I DO hope that diaper changers disinfect their hands ASAP and then wash their hands ASAP. Because that's courteous and it DOES make a difference to try to keep our hands clean after coming in contact with feces.

This particular instance really doesn't bother me that much, but people making it sound like basic hygiene is optional because babies are babies! and changing a diaper is no big deal! really kind of scare me. I'm not a germaphobe by any stretch of the imagination, but this is absolutely how serious stomach viruses spread.

Would I personally do it? No.

Would I witness it and make such a production about it? No.

Finding it "okay" is not in that equation. Not finding it a big deal apparently is the same as doing it ourselves and we're a bunch of heathens because of our opinion. It's interesting how this has played out, that's for sure.

I'm so perplexed by people saying that the risk of spreading disease is no worse than those who don't wash their hands after going #2-- as if that makes it OK!! I mean, come on--if someone goes #2 and doesn't wash their hands afterwards--that is REALLY gross!!! Yes, we should teach our kids not to put their hands in their mouths and to wash their hands before eating--germy surfaces are germy surfaces all over--but we can try to keep our germs to ourselves as best as possible.

I actually don't care a ton about this particular circumstance. I don't mind watching people change kids' diapers and don't really care about kids being exposed because it's kind of par for the course. However, I DO care about it at restaurants and on restaurant tables, where contamination of things about to enter your mouth is a real and present risk. I DO hope that diaper changers disinfect their hands ASAP and then wash their hands ASAP. Because that's courteous and it DOES make a difference to try to keep our hands clean after coming in contact with feces.

This particular instance really doesn't bother me that much, but people making it sound like basic hygiene is optional because babies are babies! and changing a diaper is no big deal! really kind of scare me. I'm not a germaphobe by any stretch of the imagination, but this is absolutely how serious stomach viruses spread.

You are not going to change their minds. They don't care about your health and convenience. They only care about their own. And this how society is going. It's sad, isn't it?

You are not going to change their minds. They don't care about your health and convenience. They only care about their own. And this how society is going. It's sad, isn't it?

Not being able to change minds doesn't seem to stop anyone from trying. Yes, society is rather sad these days.

As for the change in line issue: yes...it should be done before getting in line if possible. And if it happened before getting in, I would fully expect it done before getting in (not by blocking the way). I still don't agree with running clear across the park looking for a baby center or going out of the way for a bathroom which may or may not be clean. I've seen people say use a stroller. This one has me baffled. Maybe I have the wrong kind of stroller, but I don't see how anyone could ever use a stroller for changing a child's diaper. Ours doesn't lay back flat, and wiping would be nearly impossible.

In the instance the OP is discussing, the person knew prior to getting in line that the child needed to be changed, and they got in line anyway. There was also no "running clear across the park" necessary, as there are bathrooms very close to the Jungle Cruise (I'm thinking of the ones in the corridor b/w Adventureland and Frontierland that's right on the other side of the Magic Carpets from Jungle Cruise). There are also out of the way options nearby if the bathroom is too dirty. WRT strollers, I'm assuming those who are recommending that are thinking of the strollers that do fully recline. We own a City Mini and have had to change DD in the stroller before. It's not ideal, but it's possible, and it is better (for DD and everyone else) than lying her on the ground.

Concerns over the viruses that someone may get by not washing their hands after changing a diaper are no different than the concerns over viruses you could get from people not washing after using the bathroom. Believe me, that is a real concern and one most people don't think about. We touch stuff all day at WDW that are covered in germs. Just part of the risk of being in public.

Changing a diaper may seem gross, but it can be done without too much issue. And it probably happens more than you think in line. As others have said, it happens on tables in restaurants (BTW< we have NEVER done that). Of course, we have never done it in line before either.

Wait...so because some people don't wash their hands at all after leaving the bathroom, or change their child on restaurant tables, that makes changing a child wherever OK? They are *all* are gross situations. The fact that some do one doesn't make the other OK. I can't control what other people do when they use the restroom. I can, however, choose to make sure that our family follows general sanitation guidelines.

That said, our kids will be experiencing WDW in 2017. We will have 1 in diapers (maybe two, but hoping the other will be potty trained by then). The other two are well potty trained now. We don't have much choice in taking a trip that year. My parents are going to celebrate their 60th anniversary and that is why we are going that year. Could we skip it? Sure. We could skip their anniversary celebration. However, that will be the only opportunity for us to see my entire family as I live across the country and we don't ever have reunions. My kids haven't met most of their cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. It's just not doable for our limited vacation time each year. So yes...we will have diaper bearing children. And we will hope for the best while we are there. We won't get into a line with a soiled diaper and then change it. But I highly doubt that we will get out of a line we have been in for 45 minutes to an hour to go across the park and change it. Would a CM let us back in? Maybe...as long as they don't have to switch positions as they do throughout the day. Not to mention that it could also result in the rest of the party getting on the ride and the returning parent not even finding them. Bet that would look good to everyone thinking they are cutting in line. IT just isn't realistic.

Honest question - if the other child is potty trained, but still having accidents, what are you going to do when they need to use the restroom after you've been in line for however long?

We took DD as an 8 month old and 15 month old. TBH, we didn't get into lines that were 45 mins+ long - for a few reasons.
  1. Most of the rides that had lines that long during our trip were rides with height requirements, and DD wasn't allowed entry into those lines anyway.
  2. For rides that DD could ride that had lines that long, we strategized to ride them at times of the day when lines were shortest. For example, riding Peter Pan at RD (just an example..DD hasn't actually ridden PP yet). Jungle Cruise also had a long line on at least one trip, and we watched the wait time on MDE and came back when it was shorter. We never did full day touring plans either - didn't need to, and still made it work.
  3. We checked DD before entering line and changed her before entering line as necessary.
If worse comes to worse in November and DD soils herself in line, I would exit the line and change her. I would ask a CM if I could get reentry, or I'd just have DH stay where he was in line (allowing others to pass him until I got back), and then rejoin him in line as soon as possible. Worst thing that happens is we all exit, at which point we'll either decide to wait again or move on to a different ride and come back later, depending on line length. Changing her in line is not something to consider - for us -unless it is an absolute emergency.

I don't expect to change anyone's opinion here, but I guess I just don't think people should freak out as much about it as they are.
I don't expect to change anyone's mind either - just having a discussion. I don't think anyone here is "freaking out" - just debating.

Sadly, it would have only been a party of two since my boss and I were the only mothers with kids in diapers. we did organize playdates between our kids, outside of work, they are close in age.

In my job I saw many diapers changed in places other than the bathroom. When you're holding a storytime with 20-30 babies and toddlers and there are only two changing tables in the entire library, you are bound to see a few on-the-fly changes on the floor or tables. Never bothered me one bit, I even helped once or twice by entertaining the babies while the moms were busy at the other end. I really can't understand the fuss over a little diaper change. The poor woman was doing what she thought was best in the given situation and her opinion is really the only one that matters when it comes to her kids. I also don't understand why people feel the need to make these shaming posts. It's sad.
I am a mom of 5 and for goodness sakes I understand diaper changes where there is no available bathroom. This wasn't the case, she got in line planning on changing the kid's diaper as seen by her actions. That is ridiculous, I will ignore the gross or not gross argument and say to hold up an entire line of people to change a diaper is plain wrong,rude and lazy. And the argument as to what matters when it comes to your kids is a slippery slope. I have autistic kids who have meltdowns. The best way to handle them is to let them finish as you can't rationalize with them during and then talk to them. Now that said if we're in a restaurant, line, show etc. I remove them to a secluded (hard to find in WDW these days so ends up being a corner around a building out of traffic) and then if they can calm down we join the family. According to your argument a parent could feel entitled to allow their child to finish their tantrum in the middle of dinner, the show etc. If you only want to act according to what is best and convenient to your family only then you shouldn't go in public as it is expected we act with regard to some basic society rules and consideration for those around us.

3. Ok...I get the point. It's the FP line and they hadn't scanned yet. They probably could have done it elsewhere. However, I can say that if I were in line (especially if it were standby), there is NO WAY i would get out just to change a diaper. No way at all. Why? Simply put: you never know when the next one is coming. I've gone hours without needing to change a diaper. And I've also had to change 3-4 in one hour. Can you imagine going to WDW and getting out of line every 15 minutes for a couple of hours because one of your kids happens to be having a bad day (especially common while on vacation with dietary changes)? Yeah...bet you wouldn't.
If any of my children were having enough intestinal problems that they were going every 15 minutes I doubt I would even be in that line to begin with and yes I would once again not change them in a crowded line. It is not polite society behavior. A bad day could mean they're coming down with a small bug so now you're exposing other people to that for the sake of a ride. I don't know where people got the mentality that the ends (getting on ride X) justifies the means but I find it quite a sad statement on where our society is heading.:sad2:

... One...it will get expensive to wait and then take more kids. Two, I want my oldest to experience the magic as a child. I was the youngest in my family. I went when I was 4. My sister was 13 and my brother 14. They never loved WDW as I did/do. They were the wrong age. Waiting is great for people planning to have 1 or 2 kids, not for people leaving it up to God.

That said, our kids will be experiencing WDW in 2017. We will have 1 in diapers (maybe two, but hoping the other will be potty trained by then). The other two are well potty trained now. We don't have much choice in taking a trip that year. My parents are going to celebrate their 60th anniversary and that is why we are going that year. Could we skip it? Sure. We could skip their anniversary celebration. However, that will be the only opportunity for us to see my entire family as I live across the country and we don't ever have reunions. My kids haven't met most of their cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. It's just not doable for our limited vacation time each year. So yes...we will have diaper bearing children. And we will hope for the best while we are there. We won't get into a line with a soiled diaper and then change it. But I highly doubt that we will get out of a line we have been in for 45 minutes to an hour to go across the park and change it. Would a CM let us back in? Maybe...as long as they don't have to switch positions as they do throughout the day. Not to mention that it could also result in the rest of the party getting on the ride and the returning parent not even finding them. Bet that would look good to everyone thinking they are cutting in line. IT just isn't realistic.
It's sweet that you want your kids to love WDW as much as you, though I'm not sure that age of first trip is a definite influence. In my case, I think it may be more about being the younger sibling instead of the older sibling.

And it's absolutely lovely that your parents have chosen to have their anniversary celebration at WDW and that you're able to make it. No way would I suggest you don't go.

But (you knew there was a but), we're not talking about you missing their anniversary or the reunion of relatives, we're talking about missing one ride. Plus, not only do you get to teach your kids what a wonderful experience Disney is, but you'd also be able to teach them that as much as you care about relatives, you also need to be considerate of other people. Part of Disney's magical experience is not having to experience diaper changes while waiting on line.

Furthermore, part of being a parent means sometimes making sacrifices for your children. The older ones won't remember the times when you had to stop what you were doing to change their diapers, but they'll see you doing it for their new sibling, and appreciate how good you are to give up the ride so that everyone, including the baby, could enjoy the vacation.

This is not to say that people being "grossed out" or "disgusted" isn't of concern. But at the same time, different people have different beliefs and values. For me, I'm grossed out when two people start making out and groping each other in line (straight or gay...doesn't matter). I'm offended when I hear people cussing left and right. ...
I don't cuss, so that's not an issue. If I promise not to do more than hold hands with DH while in line, or maybe a quick peck, are you willing to promise the same for your family members?

You must have missed my explanation in the Worst Advice thread as to the true reasons people advise you not to go WDW with toddlers.

Although my explanation in that link was tongue-in-cheek, like much humor, it's based in reality. If this is the way you believe you would approach the diaper-change-in-line problem, then it's absolutely a legitimate reason to not go to the WDW parks until the kids are well potty trained. Seriously. Generally, when people say they'll wait because the kids won't remember, it's very often because they don't want to admit that the real reason they'll wait is that it's so difficult. And it is difficult to deal with toddlers or infants in diapers within the parks. Some people manage to handle it without losing respect for the other guests around them, and power to them. People who can't - and I'm probably one who couldn't - need to use better judgment about their choice of vacation destinations.
I have taken my children when little without managing to
1. Change a diaper in any inappropriate place
2. Let their fits bother other guests (always find an out of way place) and with autistic ones this isn't just relegated to little ones
3. Bump anyone with my stroller or run anyone over.
So I don't think that you can't take little ones to Disney just because it might inconvenience others because it doesn't have to. The only ones inconvenienced were my family and we made that decision..
My original intention for taking my kids was to wait. Now that we have 3, and a 4th on the way, I am not sure that waiting is the right option. One...it will get expensive to wait and then take more kids. Two, I want my oldest to experience the magic as a child. I was the youngest in my family. I went when I was 4. My sister was 13 and my brother 14. They never loved WDW as I did/do. They were the wrong age. Waiting is great for people planning to have 1 or 2 kids, not for people leaving it up to God.

As for the change in line issue: yes...it should be done before getting in line if possible. And if it happened before getting in, I would fully expect it done before getting in (not by blocking the way). I still don't agree with running clear across the park looking for a baby center or going out of the way for a bathroom which may or may not be clean. I've seen people say use a stroller. This one has me baffled. Maybe I have the wrong kind of stroller, but I don't see how anyone could ever use a stroller for changing a child's diaper. Ours doesn't lay back flat, and wiping would be nearly impossible.

Concerns over the viruses that someone may get by not washing their hands after changing a diaper are no different than the concerns over viruses you could get from people not washing after using the bathroom. Believe me, that is a real concern and one most people don't think about. We touch stuff all day at WDW that are covered in germs. Just part of the risk of being in public.

This is not to say that people being "grossed out" or "disgusted" isn't of concern. But at the same time, different people have different beliefs and values. For me, I'm grossed out when two people start making out and groping each other in line (straight or gay...doesn't matter). I'm offended when I hear people cussing left and right. And I think it's ridiculous when people are on their cell phones talking so loudly that I can't hear anything other than their woes about their bladder infection. Changing a diaper may seem gross, but it can be done without too much issue. And it probably happens more than you think in line. As others have said, it happens on tables in restaurants (BTW< we have NEVER done that). Of course, we have never done it in line before either.

I don't expect to change anyone's opinion here, but I guess I just don't think people should freak out as much about it as they are.
Most of us are not saying that families shouldn't go with little ones. I have 5 with varying ages so yes it would have been silly to wait until all of them were potty trained to go to Disney. What I think most are expressing is just because having a little one is harder at Disney does not give one a free pass to not be considerate of your fellow guests. My kids are my kids and their inconveniences and problems are mine, no one else's. I did not expect anyone to accommodate my choice of taking my little ones to Disney. It was my choice and yes
I stepped out of lines
My dinner got cold at one place while I was dealing with a toddler meltdown
I had to leave my front row parade spot and DH couldn't hold it for us while I dealt with a blowout
My DH left our prepaid nonrefundable Hoop Dee Doo which was to celebrate our 10th anniversary because our 2 YO had a quesy stomach from heat, different diet, etc and got sick on the way out so he took him back to the hotel and I stayed with the other 3

I also believe people should not make out in public. I am not saying hugging and affectionate kissing but past that it is inappropriate. And no cussing should not be tolerated either although I feel that is a losing one with the younger generation. And yes I do step out to the lobby in a restaurant if I have to answer a call. Two wrongs don't make a right. Inappropriate behavior is just that whether it involves children, cell phones or flash photography.:confused:

But (you knew there was a but), we're not talking about you missing their anniversary or the reunion of relatives, we're talking about missing one ride. Plus, not only do you get to teach your kids what a wonderful experience Disney is, but you'd also be able to teach them that as much as you care about relatives, you also need to be considerate of other people. Part of Disney's magical experience is not having to experience diaper changes while waiting on line.

Furthermore, part of being a parent means sometimes making sacrifices for your children. The older ones won't remember the times when you had to stop what you were doing to change their diapers, but they'll see you doing it for their new sibling, and appreciate how good you are to give up the ride so that everyone, including the baby, could enjoy the vacation.
:thumbsup2

It's interesting that so many people think that this is OK. I have to wonder if it's OK to draw the line anywhere nowadays.

Also, I can't believe so many pages of posts about this. I know, I'm contributing. :)
Just because a person says they wouldn't be bothered by it does not mean that they think it is ok.

I agree that it is gross. But it would not have phased me at all if I saw somebody doing it. I just plan on there being gross stuff on seats, rails, etc and plan accordingly with my own hygiene. I can't control what others do, so I am not going to let it bother me.

Just because a person says they wouldn't be bothered by it does not mean that they think it is ok.

I agree that it is gross. But it would not have phased me at all if I saw somebody doing it. I just plan on there being gross stuff on seats, rails, etc and plan accordingly with my own hygiene. I can't control what others do, so I am not going to let it bother me.
Some people are a little more sensitive to such things than others. I know that the sight and the smell could make me sick. It's just the way I am.

I do think that not letting things bother you is a good idea though. Sometimes you can't help it though. Besides, why is it so difficult for some people to consider the feelings of others? We all have to coexist here so we might as well try to be reasonably nice to others.

If any of my children were having enough intestinal problems that they were going every 15 minutes I doubt I would even be in that line to begin with and yes I would once again not change them in a crowded line. It is not polite society behavior. A bad day could mean they're coming down with a small bug so now you're exposing other people to that for the sake of a ride. I don't know where people got the mentality that the ends (getting on ride X) justifies the means but I find it quite a sad statement on where our society is heading.:sad2:

I guess I should have mentioned my son is severely lactose intolerant. We try to avoid milk products for him whenever possible, but sometimes he gets something. Even the smallest amount makes him fill diapers way more than anyone should. Our daughter has the same issue except that she is fine if she has raw (straight from the cow) milk. All the processed stuff messes her up. However, she can have milk products (like cheese) just fine. Our son can't even have the raw stuff. So he is not usually sick on a bad day...just lactose intolerant. However, I see your concern there and won't argue with you. It's not worth it.

Noroviruses are spread through fecal matter. I can't believe Disney allows this, but then I've seen plenty of bad behavior at WDW that is tolerated by Disney out of fear of offending guests. However, not enough attention is paid to the health, safety and well-being of the good guests, IMO.

beating-a-dead-horse-.jpg

There is the option of unsubscribing from the thread or just discontinue reading if you feel this topic is "beating a dead horse"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter