Disgruntled members: What are the DVC-specific issues?

And this is an example of where things like truth in advertising comes in. You can not pass along a disclosure document with benefits that you never intend to give. The company needs to update the document to accurately show what is being offered.

Correct which means right now people are still signing new DVC deeds with this disclosure attached. Disney would need to remove the disclosure from new sales and then the countdown would occur.

So until that date happens where DVC starts selling with no "Membership Extras" disclosure then that will not come to pass since they have continually renewed the benefits plan.

I also think Riviera is very telling. They could have released Riviera under a new "Membership Extras Plus", made it a whole new system, and changed the language but they didn't. They kept the historical disclosure in place opting to simply continue to do smaller adjustments.

I agree that as long as there is an incidental benefit program it needs to be accurate and why it’s been updated. Like adding words to the AP language that says “from time to time” and that DPEP is the one in charge of those benefits and has the say in offering or not.

But FL timeshare law describes it all and how those need to be Written if a developer wants to offer them.

Our POS also states they can cancel the program too. So, I don’t think there is any aspect that doesn’t meet the standard for truth in advertising.

My comments just relate that if APs are discontinued and no longer a product offered by DPEP, DPEP or DVD are under no legal obligation to give us something else.

They simply update the document in real time to get rid of the language.

Last edited:
So your interpretation is they can advertise benefits and put them in new contracts when they haven’t been offered in 2 years? That is blatant fraud and no language around “benefits may change” protects against misrepresenting what’s currently offered.

They can based on the actual language of the membership extra documents. They updated the AP language to say, from time to time we may be offered a special AP or discount.

It stays they are given to owners by DPEP and they control that offering.

So, there is no fraud because the document explains that APa are an incidental benefit that can come and go.

Now, could they remove the AP language altogether? Yes. Do they need to offer something else in its place? No

I think the updated language of “from time to time” basically did the same thing without having to amend constantly.

And, they are still offering those with DVC passes to renew at a discounted rate. So the benefit is still available to those who have them.

ETA. It has also not been two years. It has been about 5 months since they were last on sale. And the document was updated in January 2022 with specific language regarding the terms of APs.

Last edited:
2006 here. The loss of valet parking and being put in the worst rooms vs people paying cash. Marriott prioritizes property owners, MVCI owners, Trades, the masses. Now I just assume I will get the worst room and do not worry. My husband is still bitter about the loss of valet :-)

It's not the waiting, it's having to stare at the tablet/laptop for hours. Why not have a ding/chime when a CM comes on?
The DVC site does ding when a CM is ready to chat with you. I just did a chat and it dinged when I was in another tab indicating availability. This was on a computer and not a mobile device so I suppose it likely varies depending upon device.

So your interpretation is they can advertise benefits and put them in new contracts when they haven’t been offered in 2 years? That is blatant fraud and no language around “benefits may change” protects against misrepresenting what’s currently offered.
DVC has always been pretty clear that the "extras" are just that...extra. No where in the POS (the governing document for DVC owners) do they guarantee those. They can (and will) come and go.

That said, there is definitely a disconnect between the POS and the way in which the guides sometimes "sell" DVC. When me and my wife were first learning about DVC, the guide was really pushing the "extras". He pushed the notion of discounted APs, but we told him we live in NY and were the "one week per year" type of owner so discounted APs didn't matter to us. He pivoted and went to the discounts on dining and merchandise, talking about how much we would save over "the life of the contract". Those aren't guaranteed, so guides shouldn't be talking about them like they are guaranteed. The guides should stick to the savings one will experience over the life of the contract on room accommodations, because those savings are significant...and guaranteed.

This gets repeated so often here but from my view is this take is false.

There is a disclosure in place called: Membership Extras

It can be changed and update by DVC. It can also have certain things that become unavailable due to outside forces.

It clearly states in the document:

They likely were getting various calls on this document as well since they added specific COVID19 language to it:

It fairly plainly outlines that a benefit can not simply be removed it needs to be replaced. Others will spin this as "Disney can just remove benefits". If that were the case there would be no need for the original language above IMO. That language outlines what is to occur if something become unavailable. Now the new benefit could become "worse" because as an example going from APs to the ticket discount last year but it was viewed as close to of a replacement of ticket discounts that DVC could get.

This document also gets updated semi-regularly. I think we are on revision number 5 since April 2020.

Its good to think about DVC as in "nothing is guaranteed" for simplicity of deciding to buy. Once you buy in though its important to remember there are contracts in place to protect you as an owner and your rights/benefits. I am also one who has talked with DVC multiple times regarding point chart fluctuations including those in charge of creating the point charts themselves so its why I try to point this out as well when I see it come up around here.
I didn't realize I would step into some weird long-standing argument on the boards and get blasted when only trying to share my personal experiences and interpretations. I guess I have a new learning.

DVC has always been pretty clear that the "extras" are just that...extra. No where in the POS (the governing document for DVC owners) do they guarantee those. They can (and will) come and go.

That said, there is definitely a disconnect between the POS and the way in which the guides sometimes "sell" DVC. When me and my wife were first learning about DVC, the guide was really pushing the "extras". He pushed the notion of discounted APs, but we told him we live in NY and were the "one week per year" type of owner so discounted APs didn't matter to us. He pivoted and went to the discounts on dining and merchandise, talking about how much we would save over "the life of the contract". Those aren't guaranteed, so guides shouldn't be talking about them like they are guaranteed. The guides should stick to the savings one will experience over the life of the contract on room accommodations, because those savings are significant...and guaranteed.
And it could be why owners are now required to sign off that they have received and read the Membership extra terms and conditions.

Of course they are going to share the benefits as extras we get. Same with trading..we get to do that by the nature of being part of BVTC..but it all goes along with any type of marketing and sale.

From my understanding it is why FL timeshare law has the rescind period so that anyone buying has a chance to read through it all and have a clear understanding of what they are buying. 10 days is a good long time to review it all.

Now, if DVD promoted it but then hid it in small print and made it extremely difficult to know the rules, then I’d say it’s an issue.

But when you sign something that is in bold letters saying don’t buy based on any of these above benefits as they can be ended, it’s on the consumer at that point because DVD had gone out of their way to ensure owners know they are not guaranteed. .

So, I don’t think there is any aspect that doesn’t meet the standard for truth in advertising.
Unrelated to the current topic, but it'd be interesting to look into the standard for truth in advertising regarding Riviera. The definition of a Vacation Club for the Florida Law is that members have access to reservation component of the club. A standalone resort with an exchange option (RCI, II or other) is not a Vacation Club. But Riviera is just like that: a standalone resort and direct buyers have access to an exchange company. It is not part of a Vacation Club since resale members cannot access the reservation component of the club, hence, advertising it under the "Disney Vacation Club" flag is misleading. They could rename the program "Disney Magical Vacation" or whatever, but they shouldn't use "Vacation Club".

Last edited:

You sign a legal contract with Disney. A part of that legal contract is Membership Extras which is explicitly called out.

Additionally I have brought it up in the past but what has left from Membership Extras? People call out potentially the valet but my research (unless you have a disclosure from back then) seems to outline that the valet was covered as part of dues (like parking lots) and not actually a membership benefit you simply received it for free since it was already paid for by the dues.

As an example they have had different ticket offers but pretty much always had ticket offers of some sort except during the pandemic which is called out as an exception in the Membership Extras. This would fall under their ability to change out a specific benefit for something of like value and type.

Our POS also states they can cancel the program too.

Correct but people have legal contracts with DVC stating they have access to the benefits for 3 years from date of signing that contract. So they can cancel it but first would need to stop offering it to new purchasers. They can't "just cancel" it because there is language in the disclosure in legally signed contracts that forbid that.

This is why I speak up on this because it fairly clearly states they can't just cancel it. They could cancel it but they have certain requirements first to meet to allow them to do that.

You sign a legal contract with Disney. A part of that legal contract is Membership Extras which is explicitly called out.

Additionally I have brought it up in the past but what has left from Membership Extras? People call out potentially the valet but my research (unless you have a disclosure from back then) seems to outline that the valet was covered as part of dues (like parking lots) and not actually a membership benefit you simply received it for free since it was already paid for by the dues.

As an example they have had different ticket offers but pretty much always had ticket offers of some sort except during the pandemic which is called out as an exception in the Membership Extras. This would fall under their ability to change out a specific benefit for something of like value and type.

Correct but people have legal contracts with DVC stating they have access to the benefits for 3 years from date of signing that contract. So they can cancel it but first would need to stop offering it to new purchasers. They can't "just cancel" it because there is language in the disclosure in legally signed contracts that forbid that.

This is why I speak up on this because it fairly clearly states they can't just cancel it. They could cancel it but they have certain requirements first to meet to allow them to do that.

Valet was not part of the contract because FL timeshare law prohibits them from having membership extras as part of the contract and covered as part of the dues. It was provided by a third party vendor and why it was stopped overnight when the charges to DVD were changed. I do not have the document but I bought when it was in effect and it was indeed part of membership extras. Here is the actual FL timeshare language that prohibits it to be part of the dues:

721.075 No costs of acquisition, operation, maintenance, or repair of the incidental benefit are passed on to purchasers of the timeshare plan as common expenses of the timeshare plan or as common expenses of a component site of a multisite timeshare plan.

Not sure why you keep saying it but we are not guaranteed anything for 3 years. It is 3 years or less and that language is taken right from the FL timeshare law language regarding incidental benefits. The POS is the legal contract that states membership extras can end at any time, and the law allows them to end the program with no notice. If you can cite the law or the contract that says differently, please share because I am not finding that same language.

First part of the disclosure statement says:

Membership Extras, such as vacation options in the Disney and Concierge Collections, certain discounts, offers, and special events are incidental benefits. These incidental benefits are subject to change or termination without notice, may require the payment of a fee and cannot be combined with any other offers or promotions

Again, the right to substitute is something that the law allows them to do if a benefit is unavailable, especially when it is beyond the developer control...since they have to update the division when they change the terms of the program... as long as they state in the benefits program they want to have that right. That is also language taken directly from the FL statue. Here is what the law says:

If an incidental benefit becomes unavailable as a result of events beyond the control of the developer, the developer MAY (my caps/bold) reserve the right to substitute a replacement incidental benefit of a type, quality, value, and term reasonably similar to the unavailable incidental benefit.

If the developer reserves the right to substitute, the acknowledgment and disclosure statement required pursuant to paragraph (2)(a) shall contain the following conspicuous disclosure: In the event any incidental benefit described in this statement becomes unavailable as a result of events beyond the control of the developer, the developer reserves the right to substitute a replacement incidental benefit of a type, quality, value, and term reasonably similar to the unavailable incidental benefit.

Basically, if the disclosure statement says we get X, and it becomes unavailable, the developer can (but is not required to) substitute it or it must update the membership extra program...and submit new documents to the state that the program has been updated and changed. So, with the AP...if it becomes unavailable as a product, DVD can't still advertise "from time to time" we will be eligible for a discount on the AP, when no such product exists any longer. But, nothing in the law requires them to offer incidental benefits of similar type once a particular benefit is no longer available from a third party....and DPEP is in fact, considered a third party. DVD nor owners have the right to force any other division of Disney or a third party to continue to offer a benefit to owners.

If DVD did not put in the substitute language as part of the disclosure, then DVD would not be allowed by law to make any substitutions when something happens. There are other instances of discounts not being given and taken away. I used to get a spa discount, and Senses isn't giving them anymore. Nothing guarantees me that benefit.

I have said many times, I do not think DVD will ever not have some level of a membership extras program. But, to say they can not just end it? Can't find any legal language in FL timeshare law that requires them to have any such program, or the ability to end it without notice.

The disclosure statement that we are provided needs to be clear as to the terms and conditions of the program, and that is it. Again, my interpretation is based on the actual FL statue, the language in our POS, and the language in the Membership extra disclosure statement and so far, none of it says we must be given an incidental benefits program, or that they can't end it as they see fit.

And, to take us back on topic, the changes in the membership benefits program over the years have gotten people upset and people are certainly upset that no AP is being sold and that DVD hasn't made a different deal with DPEP to offer an alternative.

Last edited:
Unrelated to the current topic, but it'd be interesting to look into the standard for truth in advertising regarding Riviera. The definition of a Vacation Club for the Florida Law is that members have access to reservation component of the club. A standalone resort with an exchange option (RCI, II or other) is not a Vacation Club. But Riviera is just like that: a standalone resort and direct buyers have access to an exchange company. It is not part of a Vacation Club since resale members cannot access the reservation component of the club, hence, advertising it under the "Disney Vacation Club" flag is misleading. They could rename the program "Disney Magical Vacation" or whatever, but they shouldn't use "Vacation Club".

Interesting....it is an aspect of the law I have not really studied....so I can't comment, yet! I have the entire statute document so I am going to have to read up on that!!!

ETA: Is this in the FL statue of 721 for timeshare? Or under one of the other ones that governs condos like 718 or 719?

Last edited:

See Sandisw's response above. She cited the same disclosure I also see, which explicitly states they can cancel, without notice, any incidental benefits (aka membership extras). Again, this is why those who are very familiar with the POS recommend not buying direct because of the membership extras. They can, and will, be changed/cancelled.

Ha! I've been watching closely. Nothing has scared me away so far, but I'm glad I asked as all the feedback is helping us manage expectations. Definitely a passionate community.
Phew! It is good to know exactly what you are getting, and what it could be in the end. When we bought, that is what we did! I think that approach has helped us "go with the flow" with all the changes that have occurred within DVC and with Disney in general.

I bought into DVC in 2019. Covid and the aftermath of huge Disney-wide changes has made this product feel much riskier than it did when I bought in. We now have a world without APs, without demand from abroad, or heck, even a world with WDW closed. IMO, most of the big, controllable changes in Disney policy and theme park experience have cut against the interest of DVC owners.

This doesn't matter if you are casual Disney consumer. This does matter when you have five figures wrapped up in decisions you can't control.

It's not DVC-specific, but if there are no more APs, I have to sell. To me, that is obvious.

Last edited:

Thanks. The key question with this though is if the rules have to carry over to a buyer who purchases via resale vs. Direct buyers from the developer.

What the developer offers and sells does seem meet those guidelines for owners who buy from them….it is only when those points are sold that it changes.

So does the law require it to apply no matter how points or purchased, or can resale rules be indeed different and still have it be part of the club… guess that is a question needing research…which is off topic for this thread!

It is not a question of rights that are carried over with a sale, but a definition of Riviera itself. I am not arguing that the definition grants all owners certain rights.

Is Riviera part of a Vacation Club according to the Florida laws? Since there are owners who do not have access to the reservation component of the Club, then no. In the law definition, there is no esclusion considered. The definition of a Vacation Club and of a Multisite timeshare doesn't allow for only certain owners to be allowed in the reservation component. So Riviera is not a Vacation Club, it's a standalone resort. Which changes nothing for resale owners, except that Disney is using an improper term to publicise the system.

It is not a question of rights that are carried over with a sale, but a definition of Riviera itself. I am not arguing that the definition grants all owners certain rights.

Is Riviera part of a Vacation Club according to the Florida laws? Since there are owners who do not have access to the reservation component of the Club, then no. In the law definition, there is no esclusion considered. The definition of a Vacation Club and of a Multisite timeshare doesn't allow for only certain owners to be allowed in the reservation component. So Riviera is not a Vacation Club, it's a standalone resort. Which changes nothing for resale owners, except that Disney is using an improper term to publicise the system.

I just read and my conclusion is not the same as yours that it doesn’t meet the standard for the definition, especially based on how the trademark Disney Vacation Club is defined.

I just read that the use of words vacation club can still be used, it doesn’t follow the same rules listed in that part unless it meets the other aspects of a multI share plan.

But, I can also see why your explanation could make sense too.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter