• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Diser's for CMO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with pretty much everything you've said. I'm sure they have a "look" in mind based on the specific responsibilities that they know they want this person to fulfill. And, don't discount the written application. I think that that was the "great equalizer" - for lack of a better description - because it allowed people to express all the things they couldn't squeeze in 60 seconds and it allowed the people with less special effects (or none at all like me) to still make their case . . .

Wow...this was tough to see this morning. But I guess I'll have to let it go now. Unfortunately I have a job with absolutely no magic or dream making involved. I guess I'll have to plan a trip to Disney to get my kick back!

Good luck to all those who made it. And for those of us who didn't...HEY at least we are still eligible to win that night in the castle or the DVC membership- maybe the CMO will give us a prize if we visit the parks!

My losing dream video...

http://www.dreamcmo.com/view-dream-cmo-applicant.php?CMODID=CMO-E2AC2ECC2E5686DFEE243F77521FCDB6

I love your video! You'd have gotten my vote-
:hug:

I agree with pretty much everything you've said. I'm sure they have a "look" in mind based on the specific responsibilities that they know they want this person to fulfill. And, don't discount the written application. I think that that was the "great equalizer" - for lack of a better description - because it allowed people to express all the things they couldn't squeeze in 60 seconds and it allowed the people with less special effects (or none at all like me) to still make their case . . .

I guess if they have a look in mind..ie white male, 30s, etc., whatever was posted earlier, then they should have stated that. They do that all the time for their character auditions...specifying what you have to look like.

I personally would like to see how they did take the application into account. I wrote way more than I talked about in my video, edited it and had several other people check for grammar, flow, etc.

I completely agree with this statement.

I agree with that quote as well - but not all of the finalists videos have had animation or special effects. The tough part of the process is that the 5 judging criteria were relatively vague which left a lot open to interpretation. Everyone expressed themselves and their ideas in the best way they knew how (which obviously makes the whole process a more emotional commitment) and it's almost impossible to determine exactly what the judges were looking for.

I agree with that quote as well - but not all of the finalists videos have had animation or special effects. The tough part of the process is that the 5 judging criteria were relatively vague which left a lot open to interpretation. Everyone expressed themselves and their ideas in the best way they knew how (which obviously makes the whole process a more emotional commitment) and it's almost impossible to determine exactly what the judges were looking for.

Some of the criteria were vague...some of them weren't. I guess I wonder what your point is. Are you trying to make the point that this is more of a contest and less a job application process? Or that you somehow got lucky in determining what the judges were looking for?

Justin, I really loved your video by the way!

I had seen it before your link was here and thought THAT is funny and engaging and LOVED the rolling chair from the window view!!!

Good luck!

<<<< picking you to precariously live through!

I guess if they have a look in mind..ie white male, 30s, etc., whatever was posted earlier, then they should have stated that. They do that all the time for their character auditions...specifying what you have to look like.

I personally would like to see how they did take the application into account. I wrote way more than I talked about in my video, edited it and had several other people check for grammar, flow, etc.
It is a slippery slope... if they had put specific demographic criteria tons of people would have cried foul... but when it comes to the face characters, they can require and request a specific look.

Thanks Krismom for saying you would have voted for me :thumbsup2 It still feels good to hear!

In an effort to bring some Disney hope back to everyone here are two contests that can be entered while we all wait to vote for our favorite CMO candidate come March...

http://home.disney.go.com/travel/dreams/?emc_dct08_syn_insider_rd

Or you can try and answer the Trivia question on Live with Regis and Kelly. At the end of their trivia contest they are doing a drawing for a 49 year membership to the DVC. Pretty awesome prize!!

http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/buenavista/regisandkelly/index.html

Hope this helps.

I've been on and off the thread since midnight in between phone calls from all the supporters in my kingdom. I have to mirror the comments "Thanks for the therapy!" I've put on my smile and my did my best Mickey "AWWW
SHUCKS!" for everyone but when I sat here and realized how many people get how I feel today I let the tears flow for a minute. I too am disappointed to see I had to be a pro videographer to be in the running but it doesn't take away the fact that these people loved Disney enough to even go for this. I'll forgive their advantage if they will forgive my "sour grapes" just for today.
:sad1:

Just wanted to say congrats to all of the winners one more time. If there are winners out there reading all of this self pity and are afraid to post, please don't be. We'd love to see your videos!

I personally am now turning my sour grapes into wine. I just received a phone call that after my father's colonoscopy this morning, it appears he has colon cancer. Suddenly, making magic at Disney isn't quite as important as doing what I can at home.

Even though it didn't end the way I'd hoped, this has been a great experience! Maybe next year's dream job will be even better, and we'll be glad we didn't get through this year! :wizard:

It sure does help to just sit back and read everyone's comments! I just wish I could fly away to the Happiest Place on Earth for the weekend to pull myself together. I am finding myself becoming addicted to this thread...I keep checking back in constantly.

So has anyone kept an official count on here how many people have come forth as finalists? I was just curious.

Thanks everyone for making me smile today! It is amazing how you can believe in something like this so much...it actually hurts when the dream doesn't come true. I guess Walt would have been proud though that so many of us are still capable of dreaming in today's hectic world!

You have to believe that when entering a video contest, the quality of the video is going to count for something. Even if it's not a specific judging criteria, the video has got to look nice.

In this case, since it's a video "job application", it's the equivalent of a resume. Would you go to an employer with a resume that was printed on crumpled paper in a hard-to-read font? Of course not. You'd want your resume to be easy on the eyes, full of important facts about you, and to be clear and concise. This is no different.

When judging the videos, if they can't understand the person who is talking, if that person is dressed like a bum, if the video is grainy and hard to see, or if it looks like it was thrown together with very little effort, those are obviously going to be thrown out right away.

Then they take a look at what remains and decide which videos are the best. Sometimes a fancy looking resume will be chosen over an ordinary one. So in this case, fancy videos will likely be chosen over 500 videos of people showing off their Disney collections and photo albums, wearing Mickey ears, and throwing pixie dust into the air.

I'm not saying that anyone's entry here wasn't quality... in fact, I haven't watched most of your entries. I'm simply responding to those who think that video quality should not be part of a video contest... that just doesn't make sense. It's like saying that grammar and spelling are not part of an essay contest.

Finally... as far as the demographic is concerned. I seriously doubt Disney or CareerBuilder is ruling ANYONE out based on race, gender, or age. If it happens to be that males submitted the most polished videos, then so be it. The truth is that more males probably entered the contest as more males are likely to be involved in the technology behind video production. Don't forget that two of Disney's 2007 park ambassadors were female and they did an outstanding job. It all comes down to finding someone professional who can speak clearly, female or male.

Just wanted to say congrats to all of the winners one more time. If there are winners out there reading all of this self pity and are afraid to post, please don't be. We'd love to see your videos!

I personally am now turning my sour grapes into wine. I just received a phone call that after my father's colonoscopy this morning, it appears he has colon cancer. Suddenly, making magic at Disney isn't quite as important as doing what I can at home.

Even though it didn't end the way I'd hoped, this has been a great experience! Maybe next year's dream job will be even better, and we'll be glad we didn't get through this year! :wizard:

My prayers are with you and your family.......perspective can be quite a turnaround.

While reading through my afternoon therapy session for my newfound Disney Depression, my neighbor came over and said their house would be sold at auction tomorrow....foreclosure. My husband asked how that Disney thing was making me feel now.

So thinking of your dad and not the Disney job right now,

Ann

Then they take a look at what remains and decide which videos are the best. Sometimes a fancy looking resume will be chosen over an ordinary one. So in this case, fancy videos will likely be chosen over 500 videos of people showing off their Disney collections and photo albums, wearing Mickey ears, and throwing pixie dust into the air.
A fancy resume doesn't mean you are always getting the best applicant. ;)

Don't forget that two of Disney's 2007 park ambassadors were female and they did an outstanding job. It all comes down to finding someone professional who can speak clearly, female or male.
Agreed. But the park amabassador job is also a current cast member that has to apply for the position where there are other factors in play, quality of work, passion for Disney, past history with the company. Careerbuilder has a huge stake in this as well as this is a PR move on their part as well.

Here is to a speedy recovery!!!

Wow - I hope your dad is okay! My prayers go out to him and your family!

As far as how many have been contacted, I have been doing internet searches and have seen no more other than the 7 we currently know about. I sure hope other winners will pop in and let us know!

You have to believe that when entering a video contest, the quality of the video is going to count for something. Even if it's not a specific judging criteria, the video has got to look nice.

In this case, since it's a video "job application", it's the equivalent of a resume. Would you go to an employer with a resume that was printed on crumpled paper in a hard-to-read font? Of course not. You'd want your resume to be easy on the eyes, full of important facts about you, and to be clear and concise. This is no different.

When judging the videos, if they can't understand the person who is talking, if that person is dressed like a bum, if the video is grainy and hard to see, or if it looks like it was thrown together with very little effort, those are obviously going to be thrown out right away.

I'm not saying that anyone's entry here wasn't quality... in fact, I haven't watched most of your entries. I'm simply responding to those who think that video quality should not be part of a video contest... that just doesn't make sense. It's like saying that grammar and spelling are not part of an essay contest.

So is it your take that this was purely a video application and the written part was just for fluff? I guess my interpretation of the rules wasn't as clear cut as yours. I guess I also don't equate special effects/animation/CG with video quality. I completely agree that you shouldn't be dressed like a bum and should be easy to understand. But it's very clear that a stellar video is what's expected for any future job openings/contests of this nature from Disney and that applicants should be prepared to spend the time, energy and potentially funds to make it professionally produced.

What I think people are disappointed about is that it didn't appear that only your video would be judged. The rules stated that your commentary on why you were the best person for the job was what needed to be in the video and then you'd be judged on the 5 criteria. The website didn't ask for who had the best video; it asked for who had the ability to spread magic and make dreams come true. So it is logical for potential entrants to believe that if they can get that across in their entry that it will be considered. It doesn't appear that that was the case. It appears more that the video was the criterion that mattered most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter