Disembarking Day Travel

VRC

Earning My Ears
We'll be cruising in August and I was thinking about disembarking day, so, how much time does everyone like to leave between disembarking and getting onto a flight? And if anyone with personal experiences (or horror stories) would like to share, I'm all ears.

We'll be cruising in August and I was thinking about disembarking day, so, how much time does everyone like to leave between disembarking and getting onto a flight? And if anyone with personal experiences (or horror stories) would like to share, I'm all ears.
Florida not before 11.30 flight.
Vancouver 12 noon.
Barcelona 12 noon.
Dover 3 pm.

Florida we have got to the airport by 8.45 am but you gave to go through check in and security.

Assuming you're talking Port Canaveral, I've gone to WDW and then flown out on different days so there's no rush/issues. In a couple of weeks we will need to return the day of disembarkation. Our flight is at 5:30 pm, so we are leaving the ship at our leisure and spending the day at the Hyatt until the flight.

So I've been looking into some more flights, and because we have to leave from Port Canaveral the same day and we'll probably be flying out of MCO, would a 4:25pm flight give us enough time to get to the airport and get through security?

So I've been looking into some more flights, and because we have to leave from Port Canaveral the same day and we'll probably be flying out of MCO, would a 4:25pm flight give us enough time to get to the airport and get through security?
Most defiantly. The latest you can get off the ship is 9:00-9:30. Allowing 1/2 hour (generous) to get through Customs/Immigration, the trip to the airport usually takes about an hour. You would be at the airport in plenty of time for a 4:25 flight. Security at the airport can be brutal on occasion, but the worst we've encountered to us 45 minutes. I've seen some reports of 2 hour lines, but that doesn't happen often (but does happen).

And would you recommend renting a car?

A rental car wouldn't really be necessary, unless you have more than 3-4 people in your group. Then the cost of the DCL transfers vs. the cost of a rental car come out lower for the rental car.

Our family has the worst of luck in airport security so 2 hr lines are the norm for us, sadly :(

Our family has the worst of luck in airport security so 2 hr lines are the norm for us, sadly :(

At MCO yes we gave had that, as Non USA Citizens, hence we do not go there anymore.

I can get into St Petersburg in Russia in three minutes, and I do not have to give them my fingerprints or gave my photo taken.

It'll be me, DH and our two DD's and we'll be meeting my mom down there who is going to WDW the week before with my sister's family. I'm leaning towards getting a rental because the hotel we're looking at doesn't offer transportation from the hotel to the port.

It'll be me, DH and our two DD's and we'll be meeting my mom down there who is going to WDW the week before with my sister's family. I'm leaning towards getting a rental because the hotel we're looking at doesn't offer transportation from the hotel to the port.
Rental car is best then..

As I said in another thread, using Disney transportation I got to the airport by 8:15 & went thru security by 8:30 at MCO on a Sunday morning. Most of the worrying is overblown

Yes, but you might be bored waiting around the airport. We booked one around then last time and had to wait at the airport a very long time. We wished we had booked the 2 pm flight that was available.

Yes, but you might be bored waiting around the airport. We booked one around then last time and had to wait at the airport a very long time. We wished we had booked the 2 pm flight that was available.
Same here! Waiting in the airport for hours is not my idea of fun. We waited once for 4+ hours with a sick (as in did not venture far from the restrooms) 4 yr old. Now I try to get everything as close as I can. Yes, I know some will say but what about.... I will take my chances and hope we make it to the plane on time but not sit around the airport.

In a couple of weeks we will need to return the day of disembarkation. Our flight is at 5:30 pm, so we are leaving the ship at our leisure and spending the day at the Hyatt until the flight.

I have a similar flt time. :( Have you already booked the Hyatt? I tried but for my date, the Hyatt is all booked. I've decided to go back to my pre-cruise hotel and have them store my luggage and using their free shuttle to go to a nearby restaurant and have a very long lunch. Then take their shuttle back to MCO.

We keep Universal APs so we have enjoyed getting a LATE flight, and going to Universal for a few hours. We have no interest in missing a flight and we don't like rushing through an airport (nearly missing a flight and running through LAX once cured us of that) and we have awful luck at MCO (I'm not a TSA-basher in general, but I haven't yet met a sane-seeming or reasonable TSA officer at MCO yet!), so we give ourselves lots of time for the airport.

So we'll pick a 6 or 7pm flight and plan on Uni. ONce we took DCL transfers to the airport then got a car (lots of money b/c of the transfer but super-easy and having the onboard checkin due to our airline choice and the transfers was fabulous). Another time we rented a car in Canaveral and went straight to Uni (cheaper, but I hated having our luggage in the vehicle in the parking lot, and the Canaveral experience isn't super-easy IMO). We really enjoy doing that. Once last butterbeer, a rock cake for the flight...heaven. If you have an extra WDW day on the tickets or an AP there, you could go there, too.

SO much more fun than rushing to the airport IMO.

That said, it's hard enough for us getting into Seattle at midnight or 1am, let alone when your body feels like it's 3 or 4 in the morning. Let alone dealing with your kid who really really does not like being up at that hour of the morning (no matter how much he insists he loves being up late LOL). We have to take it all into account, that's for sure!

I have a similar flt time. :( Have you already booked the Hyatt? I tried but for my date, the Hyatt is all booked. I've decided to go back to my pre-cruise hotel and have them store my luggage and using their free shuttle to go to a nearby restaurant and have a very long lunch. Then take their shuttle back to MCO.

Sorry, I was at sea when you posted. When I originally called the Hyatt they said there was no reason to book ahead of time, there were plenty of rooms available the day of. I wasn't taking any chances and told them I wanted to book ahead anyway. We were there yesterday and I booked it back in January. It was nice we slept as soon as we checked in, went out for lunch, came back and slept some more before heading down to the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter