Disembarkation Day Itinerary

MCBWHITE

Mouseketeer
So excited our trip is almost here! I am the chief planner in our group and am wondering what people do after disembarkation if you have several hours before you need to be at the airport.

A little logistical info/background: Group of 10 (4 kids, 4 adults, 2 seniors). Staying onsite at WDW prior to cruise. 7-day cruise. Disembarkation at 7:30 ish, but don't have to be at airport until 5:00 pm (7:00 pm flight). Bags will be shipped directly to airport from PC, so we won't have to worry about lugging them around all day. I haven't been to WDW for over 10 years, and never with kids, so I don't "know" the area, transportation systems, tricks, etc. What to do with our day?!?

Is getting to the WDW resort area easy enough from PC? Would love to check out Animal Kingdom Lodge (have read there is lots to see and some to do, even for non-guests) and then possibly Disney Springs (which would allow lots of different opportunities for our large group...something for everyone, could split up and meet for a late lunch, etc.).

Another suggestion from someone in our group was Kennedy Space Center. I'm concerned because it looks like there is SO much to do there and it's really kind of pricy, given that we don't really have a whole day, I'm concerned it might be best saved for another trip when we can really devote some time there. Though it does look really cool! Plus, I think I'd rather get back to the Orlando area and spend our day around there, just to be closer to the airport.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Input? Thank you in advance!!!

You could definitely fit in AK Lodge and Disney Springs in the time frame you are talking about.
KSC is pricey, but you could reasonably see a lot before you would have to leave to make your airport arrival time. The drawback is that you ARE an hour from the airport at KSC and would need to leave there by 4 00 PM to get back to town.
Other options are :
1. International Drive. There are shops, restaraunts, Wonder Works, Fun Spot, the Orlando Eye, Madam Toussards, Ripleys etc right there on the drive. You could definitely do a lot in that time frame and it is close to the airport.
2. Florida Mall: Indoor shopping, restaraunts, a Crayola Experience location in the Mall, Build a Bear, Carlo's Bakery, Disney Store and a lot of other things Super close to the airport too.
3. Airboat rides close to the Port, but would leave you time to get to the airport and pretty exciting.
4. Mini golf at Fantasia Gardens on Disney property is always a fun time too.
5. Brevard Zoo is near the port but you definitely could do this zoo in the time frame you are looking at. It is less expensive that KSC too and is a smaller zoo so you would get to do everything. :)

So excited our trip is almost here! I am the chief planner in our group and am wondering what people do after disembarkation if you have several hours before you need to be at the airport.

A little logistical info/background: Group of 10 (4 kids, 4 adults, 2 seniors). Staying onsite at WDW prior to cruise. 7-day cruise. Disembarkation at 7:30 ish, but don't have to be at airport until 5:00 pm (7:00 pm flight). Bags will be shipped directly to airport from PC, so we won't have to worry about lugging them around all day. I haven't been to WDW for over 10 years, and never with kids, so I don't "know" the area, transportation systems, tricks, etc. What to do with our day?!?

Is getting to the WDW resort area easy enough from PC? Would love to check out Animal Kingdom Lodge (have read there is lots to see and some to do, even for non-guests) and then possibly Disney Springs (which would allow lots of different opportunities for our large group...something for everyone, could split up and meet for a late lunch, etc.).

Another suggestion from someone in our group was Kennedy Space Center. I'm concerned because it looks like there is SO much to do there and it's really kind of pricy, given that we don't really have a whole day, I'm concerned it might be best saved for another trip when we can really devote some time there. Though it does look really cool! Plus, I think I'd rather get back to the Orlando area and spend our day around there, just to be closer to the airport.

My dh who hates to shop and generally doesn't like places with lots of people (fun guy) told me a few days ago that he cannot wait to get back to disney springs to see how they finished it off (he saw it 3 months ago when it was 3/4 finished). I nearly had a heart attack. So disney springs (or downtown disney as we call it) gets a vote.

The Lime garage is open and really helps relieve the crowd levels in the Boathouse area. It is very well done, but reminds me of Premium Outlet Mall and there is very little shade to be found.
But the stores are pretty great and we enjoy walking from end to end to get our Fitbit steps in. Although, the boats still run. :)

Bags will be shipped directly to airport from PC, so we won't have to worry about lugging them around all day.

So that means you have a domestic flight on a participating airline for Onboard Airline Checkin? In order to do that you also have to use Disney transportation back to the airport.

Another suggestion from someone in our group was Kennedy Space Center.

If you're having bags taken to the airport directly, at least someone in your party is taking the Disney bus to the airport. (unless there's some other way you're doing this)

So the actual question is how to get to WDW from the airport. Rental car is the way.

When we have a flight around that time post-cruise we use our Universal APs and go spend 4 hours there.

You wouldn't want to go to the airport and then get a car and go back to KSC. That's a waste of at least 2 hours there.

I am sorry...I'm new-ish posting on here (and a bit technolgically challenged!) so I'm learning how to reply! :)

Last edited:
So that means you have a domestic flight on a participating airline for Onboard Airline Checkin? In order to do that you also have to use Disney transportation back to the airport.
Yes, that is one way a person can get their bags shipped back, but another way is also if your travel is booked through DCL, which is what we did. They have partner airlines with whom they work (I think there's like 6-7ish participating airlines). We're flying Alaska Air.

Rental car is the way.
I have read that many others do that, but we were actually hoping to NOT do it that way, mainly because of the size of our group (10). Hiring a private shuttle would, I think, be a better option for us (not having the stress of driving a large vehicle - or potentially two vehicles - in an area we're unfamiliar with, etc). I'm assuming you're in the Seattle area from your screen name....I live in Edmonds and we use Shuttle Express all the time. We're looking for something like that in FL. We're using Happy Limo (I think that's what it's called) from WDW to PC (again, given the size of our group, it's more cost effective to book privately rather than use Disney transport). We are, however, using DME to get from MCO to POFQ at the start of our trip. :)

Thanks for the tips!

So you have your air booked through DCL? But I still thought that if you had your air booked with DCL that the only way to do Onboard Airline Check-in was to also take DCL transfers. So DCL is letting you use the Onboard Airline Check-in feature because you booked your air with them but is allowing you to use private transportation when you disembark. Very interesting. We have always found that DCL air is way more expensive than booking on our own. How did you find DCL air compared to booking on your own? Just curious. I also thought that if you booked DCL air that DCL transfers were included so aren't you paying extra to use the private transfers?

MJ

We had a rental car and had a nice lunch at Disney Springs (I think at Rainforest Cafe) and we played miniature golf at Fantasia Gardens.

So you have your air booked through DCL? But I still thought that if you had your air booked with DCL that the only way to do Onboard Airline Check-in was to also take DCL transfers. So DCL is letting you use the Onboard Airline Check-in feature because you booked your air with them but is allowing you to use private transportation when you disembark. Very interesting. We have always found that DCL air is way more expensive than booking on our own. How did you find DCL air compared to booking on your own? Just curious. I also thought that if you booked DCL air that DCL transfers were included so aren't you paying extra to use the private transfers?

MJ

Yes, our package was booked through DCL. Air, hotel, park tickets, cruise are all booked. I wasn't the one coordinating that part for our group, so I don't know how DCL compares to booking on our own. I did just call to confirm with DCL that yes, people can use the Onboard Airline Check-in feature even if they are NOT using DCL ground transport. Yes, that is possible (or at least that's what I've either read or been told - twice now!) :)

Ground transfers ARE included from MCO to resort (which we are taking advantage of), but NOT from resort to/from Port Canaveral (not using bold/caps to yell, just to differentiate!). Magical Express costs $35 for that service (each way - per person), so for a group our size, it is more economical to hire a private shuttle.

My dh who hates to shop and generally doesn't like places with lots of people (fun guy) told me a few days ago that he cannot wait to get back to disney springs to see how they finished it off (he saw it 3 months ago when it was 3/4 finished). I nearly had a heart attack. So disney springs (or downtown disney as we call it) gets a vote.
I love this!!! My husband is the same way - hates shopping, says he hates people (even though he's one of the most friendly and funny people I've ever met!!), and before me, Disney wasn't really his thing. I'm working hard to help him see the error of his ways and I know that the more planning I do, the better the trip will go for him (and all of us) and the more likely he'll want to return! I'll share your thoughts with him...thanks for sharing!!! :)

Yes, our package was booked through DCL. Air, hotel, park tickets, cruise are all booked. I wasn't the one coordinating that part for our group, so I don't know how DCL compares to booking on our own. I did just call to confirm with DCL that yes, people can use the Onboard Airline Check-in feature even if they are NOT using DCL ground transport. Yes, that is possible (or at least that's what I've either read or been told - twice now!) :)

Ground transfers ARE included from MCO to resort (which we are taking advantage of), but NOT from resort to/from Port Canaveral (not using bold/caps to yell, just to differentiate!). Magical Express costs $35 for that service (each way - per person), so for a group our size, it is more economical to hire a private shuttle.

Thank you for the information. Yes everyone gets complimentary transfers from MCO to any Disney resort if you are a resort guest (but that really has nothing to do with a Disney cruise, meaning any WDW resort guest gets that perk whether they have a DCL cruise booked or not). That service is called Magical Express. DCL transfers do cost $35 pp each way from WDW to port or MCO to port but I thought if you booked your air through DCL your port ground transfers were included (to and from port). Thank you again for explaining. Have a wonderful cruise!!

MJ

My DH and I are tacking on a night after our short 3 night cruise next month (whoo hoo, next month) just so we can check out the new Disney Springs.

(he is also one who isn't big on crowds, shopping, and sacrificed a stay at his beloved GF so we'd be a short boat ride away at POFQ)

We won't go to the parks, just ride over to shop, eat and possibly catch a movie.

I also like the suggestions to play mini golf, check out a resort (AKL is very nice!), etc.

Just remember that there is some traffic around 5 pm so you might want to factor that into your activities.

We did the Space Center. There is a lot to do there I agree. Our flights were at 7pm so we had a little more time.

Yes, that is one way a person can get their bags shipped back, but another way is also if your travel is booked through DCL, which is what we did.

Isn't that interesting? It's rare that I hit something Disney related that I've literally never heard mentioned before.

It's also too bad that dcl doesn't do disbarkation excursions. Royal has excursions on that day, and one is to KSC. You have bags on that shuttle and the excursion ends at MCO. It's such a nice idea and I don't know why dcl doesn't do it.

Well you've checked twice, so it seems you will have your bags transported.

Alas there's nothing I know of like shuttle express out there. Maybe super shuttle, but that's not necessarily going to get you from the port.

The info side of the dis, wdwinfo.com, could have ideas. You could also check mousesavers.com for ideas.

We did KSC may 2015. We got there about 2 hours after it opened and we were done by 4:00/5:00. We did most of the stuff there with the exception of a movie exhibit that was closed.
So if KSC is something your group wants to do I think you will have time for it.

I was curious about this. This is our fourth cruise, all booked through DCL. We have never booked airfare through them and never have been offered Onboard Airline Check-in. This year something seems to have changed for our July cruise. When I was doing online check in, it asked if we were taking DCL transfers (no) and on the next page what airline we were using (Alaska). Then it said we qualified for luggage transfers. I had never heard of this, so confused I declined. I figured it was a webpage-based mistake. Maybe, it wasn't. It would be nice to not have our bags for our disembarkation day until our 6:30ish flight (7 in a van). If anyone has had luggage transfer success without traveling with the luggage, it would be great to hear there experience.

We are either going to Gatorland, Disney Springs, or both on disembarkation day. Gatorland is a long tradition that dates back to my childhood. We keep saying we might not do it on our next trip, but we always come back with a photo of DD15 on a gator to put on the mantle.

We have done KSC and Orlando Science Center on those days. OSC is awesome and close to the airport. Also if you are member at your local science center admission is free. It's a great, relaxing day there before heading to MCO.

It's also too bad that dcl doesn't do disbarkation excursions. Royal has excursions on that day, and one is to KSC. You have bags on that shuttle and the excursion ends at MCO. It's such a nice idea and I don't know why dcl doesn't do it.

Some DCL cruises do offer excursions on disembarkation day. For our Mediterranean cruise it looks like they have two options:

Montserrat: Half Day, End at Hotel – Debarkation Day
Go on a half-day excursion where you will ascend the towering Montserrat Mountain range via railway and tour the world-famous monastery, including the Shrine of Our Lady of Montserrat, or "La Moreneta.” Learn More.

Panoramic Drive Through Barcelona, End at Airport – Debarkation Day
Relax on this coach tour through the old city center and past such famous landmarks as the Spanish Village, España Square, the Arc de Triomf, Citadel Park and Sagrada Família. Learn More.

I think that the Alaskan cruise we took did offer one as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter