• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Discovery Island

vanhot

Foodie w/a peasants palate
Anyone else miss this place? It was in between one of my trips a while back that I noticed it had been deserted in place of AK, and I can honestly say I was pretty upset.

I obviously love AK, but there was something really neat and special about the ride out to the island and how secluded it was at times, since it felt like not too many people knew about it. Anyone even know if they've done anything with that island?

The last thing I heard is that they left it to revert to nature. I too liked going there. It was nice to escape the crowds and see a real animal for ten minutes!

It saddens me to think that I was at WDW twice when Discovery Island and River Country were open and I never saw them.

Reading a book about Disney I found out about an "urban adventurer" who actually snuck on the island and took pictures of it reverting to nature. He blogs about it too. If you Google 'Shane Perez Discovery Island' you can find his site.

Reading a book about Disney I found out about an "urban adventurer" who actually snuck on the island and took pictures of it reverting to nature. He blogs about it too. If you Google 'Shane Perez Discovery Island' you can find his site.

Very cool blog, although seriously dude didn't think they had aligators in the lakes in florida?! :laughing: Thanks for the heads up

It saddens me to think that I was at WDW twice when Discovery Island and River Country were open and I never saw them.

That's too bad, the memories I have are from a young age, so they aren't very sturdy ones, but I do remember it being something very unique.

And I wouldn't beat yourself up over river country, I remember that as not really being worth remembering.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter