Discovery Island

girls

Mouseketeer
I saw a mention in another post about the now closed Discovery Island in Bay Lake. What was it?

There's a small island in Bay Lake in between Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge/Contemporary. The boats that take you back and forth used to stop there. It was kind of like a small sanctuary for native birds and other animals. You could take a short walk around the island and view the wildlife and plants. The last time I was there and it was open was in 1995. I'm not sure exactly when it closed. The only thing I really remember about it was that they had an albino alligator. I believe it is still kept us as a bird sanctuary.

It was a place to observe different wildlife. There were several shows and "attractions" on the island including a bird show. The island closed in 1999 and all of the animals were moved to Animal Kingdom park. Wild birds still inhabit the island to this day.

In the early to mid 90's, if you bought a 5 day park hopper (about $135), you got unlimited admission to Discovery Island, River Country (a closed waterpark), and Typhoon Lagoon for 7 days from your first theme park use.
We would get the tickets which did not expire and go to the theme parks a couple days and spend the rest at those 3 parks.
Discovery Island was small--you could tour the whole thing in a couple hours. It had naturalists like at Conservation Station that held a bird or reptile and let the kids touch it. I think it was between Fort Wilderness and the Contemporary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter