• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

discovery cove review!

muffinman71

lucifer's evil twin :P
:sunny:

just got back from discovery cove. Some good things and some not so good things. I would reconsider doing it again...

First, check in was easy. We were in sand dollar cabana and had the first dolphin interaction at 9am. The wet suits are fun to get into, but wait until they are wet, and you gotta go to the bathroom. Oh boy.

The park is beautifully landscaped. Little gecko lizards are everywhere. Birds too, looking for free food.

Our cabana had about 30 people in it, and we were broken into several groups of about 6 each. I think we were in group D. The dolphin interaction is a short video. Then you go into the lagoon. you are about waist deep. OUr dolphin was tyler (aka "lemon lips). We had about six people in our group. We lined up and touched the dolphins skin, fins, and tail. Then we all got a kiss. We did two signals (one to go out and jump with three other dolphins, and the other to make a squeak) I got to feed Tyler and also got a splash from him. Then you are brought out to about chest deep. You hold onto the side fin and the dorsal fin and you are towed about ten feet back to the group. Then you are done. About 30 minutes total. Should have been longer. Then you go into a building to look at your picture options. Highway robbery is more like it. $15 per 4" x 6" picture. A CD with 10 pics on it was $150. A DVD video was about the same cost. We ended up with the picture CD. There was a advertisement video on it, some stock pics of the birds and dolphins and some aerials views of the park, and then your ten pics. A total rip off, but what are you gonna do?

The stingray lagoon was nice. They feel like wet, slimy, velvet. Of course, more photogs taking your picture if you were there during the feeding times. Another $15.

The coral reef was awesome. One problem is that the "ground" is very uneven, are it is easy to lose your footing heading into the deeper water. Also, the mask fogs very easy, so you are constantly wiping it clear. Other than that, the fish were magnificent. Stayed in there for about two hours total.

The lazy river was a complete waste. I think you are supposed to snorkel the entire thing. However, some spots were barely midthigh in depth. Also, there was NOTHING on the bottom to see. Dont understand the point of it. Further, I scraped up my knee and hand on the rocks. Bled like a stuck pig (and it hurt for the rest of the vacation.) Needed a quick trip to the first aid station to get patched up. Lovely.

The plain lagoon was a complete waste too. Why couldn't this be another attraction or exhibit. Completely wasted space.

The aviary was awesome. You get two cups of food (fruit, berries, etc., or mealworms) per person. The birds come right out of the trees and rest on your hand, wrist, forearm, head, shoulder, whatever, and eat away. Incredible experience and great pictures.

Lunch was decent, but nothing special. There was a steel reggae band playing that was nice though.

The two souvenir shops did not have a lot of stuff that caught my eye. I did end up with a longsleeve shirt.

The fact that we also got two days of admission to sea world made this worthwhile. Otherwise, I would reconsider.....

:teeth: What is the approximate cost of admission to Discovery Cove, and does it always give you Seaworld park admission? Thanks!

I paid $270 per person for discovery cove. The price varies depending on the season. Peak season is higher and slow season is a bit less. We were in the shoulder season.

With the DC admission, you automatically get the 7 days of SW admission. If you want Busch Gardens for 7 days also, you pay another $30 per person. Still an incredible bargain.

:banana:

It's good that you get Sea World admission too, having been in March this year our day was spoilt by the weather.
It was unusually cold and my son was freezing by the time he came out of the water.

If we go again it will be in summer.

Great report, seems to be the same as my report from a few years ago here.
http://www.nogodforme.com/SeaWorld1.htm
Agree, pictures are expensive, but what are you gonna do?
Maybe if people complained enough, they'd keep the price low, but you know that's where they're making lots of money.
And it's funny you mention the lazy river with nothing on the bottom. Others have complained about that too, and they still haven't done anything with it.

I agree about the prices of photography, i actually said something about it and the "reason" that i was given is that -

They have over 30 dolphins at a time and have to pay for all the staff etc for these and to keep the park in order etc, and because they only allow a certain amount of people in per day. She also said that many of the dolphins are rescued and that they do this with out any government help?!

Not sure if its true or not but thats what i was told!

muffinman71 said:
:sunny:

just got back from discovery cove. Some good things and some not so good things. I would reconsider doing it again...

First, check in was easy. We were in sand dollar cabana and had the first dolphin interaction at 9am. The wet suits are fun to get into, but wait until they are wet, and you gotta go to the bathroom. Oh boy.

Hi Muffinman!

I'm due to visit Discovery Cove on Sunday and had a few questions I hope you can answer.

#1 - What was the temperature the day you went? I'm worried I'm going to freeze as it's only going to be in the 70's on Sunday.

#2 - How large are the lockers and is it one per person or per party?

#3 - What time did you arrive for check-in to get the early swim time?

Thanks so much in advance. I'm so excited to go and I like to plan, so this will help out a lot.

halo969 said:
Hi Muffinman!

I'm due to visit Discovery Cove on Sunday and had a few questions I hope you can answer.

#1 - What was the temperature the day you went? I'm worried I'm going to freeze as it's only going to be in the 70's on Sunday.

#2 - How large are the lockers and is it one per person or per party?

#3 - What time did you arrive for check-in to get the early swim time?

Thanks so much in advance. I'm so excited to go and I like to plan, so this will help out a lot.
okay here goes....

it was very hot and muggy when we went. But, the water is nice and cold. They were handing out the 3/4 wet suits to everyone which helps a bit with the chilly water.

The lockers are one to a person and they are plenty big. I was able to fit a duffle bag with toiletries, clothes, wallet, and a digital camera with room to spare. Oh, by the way, in the changing rooms, they do have showers with shower gel and shampoo in dispensers on the shower wall.

We arrived when it opened in order to get the first swim at 9:05am. It is first come, first serve.

Laurafoster said:
I agree about the prices of photography, i actually said something about it and the "reason" that i was given is that -

They have over 30 dolphins at a time and have to pay for all the staff etc for these and to keep the park in order etc, and because they only allow a certain amount of people in per day. She also said that many of the dolphins are rescued and that they do this with out any government help?!

Not sure if its true or not but thats what i was told!
that is the biggest crock of crap I ever heard. (I am not complaining at you ;) )They ONLY charge $250 per person, do you think they need to charge you $150 for pictures too? If they are in that desperate need for money to keep the park afloat, then charge a bit more and include a set of pics.

It is a trend for most tourist attractions to take multiple digital pictures to sell. I have not been to a zoo, theme park, amusement park, aquarium, etc. without being swarmed by a photograher wanting to get me a picture. The camera cost about $500 and the pics are a couple of dollars each in paper and ink. Pay the photog $15 an hour, and you have a money making machine.

It is all for the $$$$$. greedy *******s!!

muffinman71 said:
that is the biggest crock of crap I ever heard. (I am not complaining at you ;) )They ONLY charge $250 per person, do you think they need to charge you $150 for pictures too? If they are in that desperate need for money to keep the park afloat, then charge a bit more and include a set of pics.

It is a trend for most tourist attractions to take multiple digital pictures to sell. I have not been to a zoo, theme park, amusement park, aquarium, etc. without being swarmed by a photograher wanting to get me a picture. The camera cost about $500 and the pics are a couple of dollars each in paper and ink. Pay the photog $15 an hour, and you have a money making machine.

First off, thanks for replying to my questions above.

Secondly, I completely agree with you. Now, it may be different at SeaWorld or even Disney, but the photos they took of my husband and me at Universal Studios yesterday completely sucked. Our faces were totally washed out by the sun. The photographer must have not known what he was doing and had the photos been good, we might have bought one just to preserve the memory.

Our experience(2 years ago) was slightly different in that when you say they take you out to chest deep water we went out into over your head water had some alone time there-very brief but an encounter non the less. and as for Photo cost, we just bought the 3 pictures we loved and spent only $45 not too bad IMHO and they were GREAT photos. So if you get the CD or the video the cost is way high but you don't need those- I had read about the "extras" on the video here before we went and knew that I didn't need that one but I really didn't think it was that outrageous if you can control yourself during the hype. (it isn't easy :banana: ) It was a great place to take my son for his first snorkle experience. He gained confidence and we spent tons of time in the Ray pool and the reef tank. He had the time of his life and 2 years later he still talks about it to his friends and shows them the photos of himself with the dolphins.

I thought the answer was funny too. Of coarse they're going to give a response that tugs are your heart strings. If they came out and told the truth, it would ruin the experience. I'm sure they're asked about high photo prices all the time. It's a big way for them to make tons of money.

We absolutely loved the experience and consider every penny well spent.

Clearly, they can't please everybody.

I had a diffrent opinion of DC I thought the dolphin time was awsome..We didnt feel rushed and had lots of interaction...could we have stayed longer..absoulty but there is other things to do and other people need their turn. As for the picture pricing...I personally thought it was great..We brought a few disposal cameras and our digital...digital never left the locker..so without having to worry about taking pics of our day we had beautiful photos taken by the staff to come home with. It was like having a professional photographer follow you around to capture your day and all we had to do was have fun.

We thought the lunch was great and were so full we thought we may sink.
We loved the coral reef...and swam like crazy there following the fish and stingrays..the deep water was the best there...the stingray lagoon was awsome and we were having a blast swimming with them...the birds were great and we took the river to get there..we loved the river and had no trouble with the bottom being rough...man made rock...and we saw a lot on the bottom...they have fossils and cannon (all fake Im sure but the kids loved it...even the 18 yr old)
Not only was it a perfect day for us..were dying to go again.

muffinman71 said:

Hi there. Not trying to piss you off or anything, just want to help clear things up...I'm a former DC employee. :) I actually worked at Dolphin Photos.
Yes, the pictures are a bit overpriced, even I'll admit that, but it's not as bad as you might think. First off, the photo company is sub contracted. Therefore, they have to pay rent to Anhuiser (sp?) Busch. The photo paper is high quaility, and a lot pricier than I would have originally thought. Add on the cost of all the printers, computers, cameras, video/DVD equipment, upkeep...The profit is pretty minimal. The photographers don't make but $8 an hour, on average, not $15. Heck, I was a supervisor and I made less that $9 an hour.
Also, the thing about the dolphins beong rescued: True!
One thing I ask of everyone when you go to DC: Don't get upset with the employees about the prices, we don't decide how much things will be! It's all the higher ups!

Just my .02...

We were a group of 8 in late April of this year and I have to say this place was the highlight of our 10 day stay in Orlando, doing all the parks.

Yes, the pix are expensive, but I don't expect them to be dirt cheap at a place like this, I did not have to buy every picture either. I bought 4 5x7's only.

It cost me over $1000.00 for my family of four and my DH wasn't happy about spending the money, but admitted to me halfway through our day there that he was so glad we were there. The other family we were with couldn't stop commenting to me how much they were enjoying it. Our kids ranges from ages 7-16.

I think the lunch was extremely good, the facilities very accommodating and clean, the atmosphere really layed back and so much for the kids to do other than rides and interaction with the dolphin was an incredible experience for my children.

I had never snorkeled before and I couldn't quite let myself jump off that ledge, but my DH convinced me too and I have to tell you, after that I was giggling constantly because I was nervous, but having an awesome time. When the schools of fish come around and around, they got really close to me and I let out a screech, completely embarrassing myself, but it was SO much fun to explore that area.

We spent so much time in the pool and coral reef all day long that we never got a chance to visit the aviary.

I think the memories we have from that day will last forever, even though my money won't. I don't regret a penny I spent for that day....

Sorry you didn't enjoy you're visit as much.

We just got back from a week in orlando w/ 2 17 year olds and Siscovery cove was one of the best days of our trip, if not life. we were lucky swimming w/ the dolphins was part of Justin's Wish, for his wish trip, so we got in for free, but it was such a great day we are going to set up a vacation club right after Christmas so we can do it again. I have to sayJustin smiled more this week than he has the past 2 years combined, so we are so grateful to anyone who works for or donates to any wish granting organizations, if it was not for them,we never would have had this experience, we feel so Blessed, Lyn www.caringbridge.org/nj/justinw

I loved reading this! I work with the make a wish foundation every CHristmas and my 11 yr old son goes with me and helps too..Its great to hear your son not only got his wish but choose Discovery Cove for it...Im thrilled he had a wonderful time. The Dolphins are magical...You son will be in our thoughts and prayers..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter