Discovering Another Mad Dash (Oct 14): Heading Home and Finally finishing this TR #1523 (05/03)

Alison - I'm sorry you didn't have a good check-in experience and that Fran ended up not happy; but I'm with you....this is Freakin' Awesome!

Does this mean that Star Tours v2.0 is taken care of??? :thumbsup2

Wonder what Denise and her cousin would like to ride?

We like all of the rides!! Star Tours is a good choice! Maybe Splash Mountain? Soarin'? Anything is fine with us. I'm just thrilled to be included!

You plane ride is 12 hours?! 12 hours on one plane?! That woman who slept must have had some valium or something! That would be the ideal for me, to sleep. I hate to fly. When I have to, I try to sleep but, my flights are like 2-3 hours. I can't imagine 12 but, you have a long way to go! Really, it's amazing you can get here so fast!!!! :)

You plane ride is 12 hours?! 12 hours on one plane?! That woman who slept must have had some valium or something! That would be the ideal for me, to sleep. I hate to fly. When I have to, I try to sleep but, my flights are like 2-3 hours. I can't imagine 12 but, you have a long way to go! Really, it's amazing you can get here so fast!!!! :)

Actually our flights to LA are more like 14 hours... Yes, on one plane ;) That's why it's such a big deal for Aussies to go to Disney!

A Most Important Decision – White and Black is not always Shades of Grey

Anyone have any good book they want to recommend? And please, no Shades of Grey!

princess::upsidedow

Depends on what genres you enjoy reading :coffee: I enjoy pretty much anything written by Marian Keyes, Janet Evanovich and any of the BritChickLit authors (eg Sophie Kinsella, Victoria Routlege, Fiona Walker). However I am no help in recommending anything in the spy/thriller genre. I don't normally read fantasy or sci-fi, however I have enjoyed Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse (aka True Blood) series. They are quite different to the TV series! Good luck with your entertainment dilemma! :goodvibes

Personally, I'm no help to you. I loathe word puzzles and crosswords, but on the other hand for longer than most of my relationships I subscribed to Math Puzzles and Logic Problems. I discontinued my subscription a few years ago only because I realized that I probably had enough books from my 20+ year subscription to last the rest of my life. I am thrilled to solve Cross Sums, Logic Problems and Tri Gons, Math Mazes and "number place" (now commonly known as Sudoko) which I have been doing for over 20 years now before it was trendy. :rotfl2: I can do these things for hours on planes (until my wine comsumption causes me to nap, it's complimentary in 1st/Business Class and before you think we're rolling in dough, we only fly on miles!)

So unfortunately I can't help. I don't even know what are these electronic devices you speak of. I have solitaire on my phone, but I bring the charger to Fran's Wound Dr. appt because the battery goes down faster than a single feature at the movies. Want some math problems? I'll scan them and email them to you? :lmao: Didn't think so..... I know I"m a freak, but I bet Brandi might like the magazine I subscribe to!

You reminded me that I actually have a "Make 10" puzzle on the DS. I played it once ages ago and finished the game. I might actually take it on the plane with me and replay that instead of buying the new Pokemon Black 2.

One of the reasons why I'm loathe to buy the new game is that it will be half the price at the GameStop in the US compared to buying it here. I might pick it up there for the plane ride home.

Can you borrow a kindle fire from someone? I download books for free from my local library and have downloaded a few free game apps. You can purchase movies, but I haven't tried that as I only get the free stuff (including the fire which was a bank promo). The battery life is pretty good if you turn off the wifi.

DH has an e-book reader and will be bringing that on his flight. We do normally share but I'm travelling solo on the way over.

Everyone else that has a kindle (that I know) is using theirs and I'd hate to stop their reading. :guilty:

Are you seriously telling me there is a debate going in which people judge other people for spending their own money on flights with entertainment??? Surely it doesn't affect anyone but the people travelling in the slightest :confused3 Why can't people just let others enjoy their holidays in whatever style suits them? :sad2:

Ok, rant over. I just found that to be quite unbelievable!

As far as your predicament goes, I would take the Nintendo. It doesn't take up much room, and if it's going to occupy you for an extra couple of hours, I'd say it's worth it! I am also a big fan of puzzle books, but I find I can only take so much of them. I usually buy one dedicated sudoku/logic puzzle book (those are my favourite sort), and one of the general ones that offer prizes (for a bit of variety if I want it) and then send away for the prizes when I get back - I once won $50 :thumbsup2

Are you able to sleep on planes? That's a great way to kill time if you can manage it! On our flight from HK to Johannesburg, one lady in front of us slept for the whole 12 hour flight - like they had to wake her up for take off and landing!

You know me.....:stir:.

:lmao:

Yes, I think I might take the DS with me. I'll have to do something different in terms of carry-on luggage. I had hoped to get away with just my camera bag but I don't think I'm going to be able to squeeze everything I want into it. So I may have a roller carry-on and the camera bag as my 'personal item'. I should be able to put the camera bag into the roller bag and end up with one 'bag'.

I don't normally sleep on planes. :headache:

We like all of the rides!! Star Tours is a good choice! Maybe Splash Mountain? Soarin'? Anything is fine with us. I'm just thrilled to be included!

Plane ride from Oz to the West Coast of the US is 14 hours. It's even longer to get to the East Coast or to Orlando.

Looks like we're good for Star Tours and we can work out what we do for the other ride on the day. If it is warm and we'll dry fast, then Splash seems like a good choice. I also love Soarin'.

I'm really pleased to be able to get to meet you as well on this trip!

Depends on what genres you enjoy reading :coffee: I enjoy pretty much anything written by Marian Keyes, Janet Evanovich and any of the BritChickLit authors (eg Sophie Kinsella, Victoria Routlege, Fiona Walker). However I am no help in recommending anything in the spy/thriller genre. I don't normally read fantasy or sci-fi, however I have enjoyed Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse (aka True Blood) series. They are quite different to the TV series! Good luck with your entertainment dilemma! :goodvibes

I think I'm up to date with Marian Keyes. But Janet Evanovich is a really good suggestion. I think I finished Fearless Fourteen and there might be another four or five of the series after this one. Thanks! :thumbsup2

PIO would you consider buying yourself a kindle? Price has come down since it first it came out. We often borrow Ebooks from the library, both fiction and nonfiction.

What kind of genres are you interested in?

The Nintendo sounds like a good option. Its a good excuse to buy another game!

PIO would you consider buying yourself a kindle? Price has come down since it first it came out. We often borrow Ebooks from the library, both fiction and nonfiction.

What kind of genres are you interested in?

The Nintendo sounds like a good option. Its a good excuse to buy another game!

The Kindle is still about $50 cheaper in the US. DH wants to go look over there. We may well come home with two of them. :rolleyes1
I'm charging the DS as we speak. Just want to check the status of a couple of my games and I haven't yet found that Make 10 game. I don't know if I can cope with playing one of the Professor Laytons again. I have been known to go for 5 hours straight when I do a Layton's puzzle.

I love fantasy and sci fi; so I tend to do some reading in that genre. Been reading Diana Gabaldon, Chis Paolini; even some Emily Rodda lately. I used to read Raymond Feist a fair bit; and I need to go back to the Janet Evanovich books. I loved Lisa Lutz...actually come to think of it, I haven't read book 5 yet.
Love Agatha Christie and I've been trying to get into PD James.

What about you?

The Kindle is still about $50 cheaper in the US. DH wants to go look over there. We may well come home with two of them. :rolleyes1
I'm charging the DS as we speak. Just want to check the status of a couple of my games and I haven't yet found that Make 10 game. I don't know if I can cope with playing one of the Professor Laytons again. I have been known to go for 5 hours straight when I do a Layton's puzzle.

I love fantasy and sci fi; so I tend to do some reading in that genre. Been reading Diana Gabaldon, Chis Paolini; even some Emily Rodda lately. I used to read Raymond Feist a fair bit; and I need to go back to the Janet Evanovich books. I loved Lisa Lutz...actually come to think of it, I haven't read book 5 yet.
Love Agatha Christie and I've been trying to get into PD James.

What about you?

Good point about buying a kindle in the US!
I read a little of everything but enjoy mystery/action type books most ie Matthew Reilly, Dan Brown, Arthur Conan Doyle etc. I loved the Millenium series by Stieg Larsson. I wish someone had told me that the 3rd book carried right on from the 2nd book or I wouldn't have read the 2nd so as to finish at 11pm...I HAD to keep reading and stayed up all night until I finished the last book. I nearly died the next day but it was worth it!

I too like Janet Evanovich. Hubby has been trying to get me into sci-fi and fantasy. I don't mind it but its not my first choice when choosing books to buy/borrow! I also spend some time reading biographies and other non-fiction books eg travel books, photography books.

I like browsing through goodreads just to get an idea of what's popular and for new things to check out. You can get it as an app on your phone to keep track of wishlists, books to read, your library etc
http://www.goodreads.com/

If you like the Janet Evanovitch books, you may like the Sue Grafton books. They aren't as slapstick, but have a female PI. My son loves the Game of thrones series. I read the first one for a book group. It is sort of fantasy. I'm told the first one is the hardest to get through and then the rest are better.

Good point about buying a kindle in the US!
I read a little of everything but enjoy mystery/action type books most ie Matthew Reilly, Dan Brown, Arthur Conan Doyle etc. I loved the Millenium series by Stieg Larsson. I wish someone had told me that the 3rd book carried right on from the 2nd book or I wouldn't have read the 2nd so as to finish at 11pm...I HAD to keep reading and stayed up all night until I finished the last book. I nearly died the next day but it was worth it!

I too like Janet Evanovich. Hubby has been trying to get me into sci-fi and fantasy. I don't mind it but its not my first choice when choosing books to buy/borrow! I also spend some time reading biographies and other non-fiction books eg travel books, photography books.

I like browsing through goodreads just to get an idea of what's popular and for new things to check out. You can get it as an app on your phone to keep track of wishlists, books to read, your library etc
http://www.goodreads.com/

Thanks for the link to goodreads. Will download it as an app.

Photography books - hmm. That's another good option.

If you like the Janet Evanovitch books, you may like the Sue Grafton books. They aren't as slapstick, but have a female PI. My son loves the Game of thrones series. I read the first one for a book group. It is sort of fantasy. I'm told the first one is the hardest to get through and then the rest are better.

I'll keep an eye out for Sue Grafton. I haven't yet gotten into the Game of Thrones. I did pick the first one to flick through and found it hard to get into; so I put it down again. Good to know that I'm not the only one.

Thanks for the link to goodreads. Will download it as an app.

I'm seeing the word app so I hope I'm not making too big an assumption that you own some sort of device with a display screen? Most libraries also loan out magazines! On device apps eg iphones or ipad is even better. The magazines are downloaded so you can view them online.

eg. I've currently got Better homes and gardens, Home beautiful, and a score of others on my ipad!

The app that you need is called zinio. But you need to go via your local library so see if they provide this service.

Following on from this, you can also buy games in app form that are boardgame in type. Requires a lot more thinking/strategy. Ones that I love include Ticket to Ride, Domimion, Ra, Medici, but the downside is that you'd probably need to learn how to play the games first...If you are interested, this is something I can help you with!

I'm seeing the word app so I hope I'm not making too big an assumption that you own some sort of device with a display screen? Most libraries also loan out magazines! On device apps eg iphones or ipad is even better. The magazines are downloaded so you can view them online.

eg. I've currently got Better homes and gardens, Home beautiful, and a score of others on my ipad!

The app that you need is called zinio. But you need to go via your local library so see if they provide this service.

Following on from this, you can also buy games in app form that are boardgame in type. Requires a lot more thinking/strategy. Ones that I love include Ticket to Ride, Domimion, Ra, Medici, but the downside is that you'd probably need to learn how to play the games first...If you are interested, this is something I can help you with!

I have an iPhone. Been eyeing the iPads and was thinking of getting one....until I lost my iPhone about 2 months ago. As I didn't have tracking turned on, I had to go buy a brand spanking new replacement. There goes the iPad for this year! Oh well....

I remember that you love board games..I haven't checked out any of those games you've listed..yet. ;)

I have an iPhone. Been eyeing the iPads and was thinking of getting one....until I lost my iPhone about 2 months ago. As I didn't have tracking turned on, I had to go buy a brand spanking new replacement. There goes the iPad for this year! Oh well....

I remember that you love board games..I haven't checked out any of those games you've listed..yet. ;)

Bummer about the lost iphone. Did you wait long enough to get the iphone 5? I just reread what I typed. I don't think I understood myself! :rotfl2:
I meant to write re: the magazines...that you can read the magazines OFFline. Kinda defeats the purpose of having them for the plane if you have to read it online...

I contemplated waiting for the iPhone 5. But then I figured that the deal on the 4S was too delicious to ignore. And I was missing my life....amazing what NOT having contacts, calendar, reminders, etc. does to my daily organisation and schedule. I don't think I ever felt so lost in my life!

I contemplated waiting for the iPhone 5. But then I figured that the deal on the 4S was too delicious to ignore. And I was missing my life....amazing what NOT having contacts, calendar, reminders, etc. does to my daily organisation and schedule. I don't think I ever felt so lost in my life!

Hmm...sadly I think I too would be lost without my phone as I’ve made a big effort to organise and co-ordinate our whole schedule (family, work, hubby’s) on the iphone. Nothing wrong with the 4S!

Anyway, I appear to be rambling with no clear direction today. The point I was trying to make with the whole magazine borrowing thing is that there are camera magazines that would be good to read!

Hmm...sadly I think I too would be lost without my phone as I’ve made a big effort to organise and co-ordinate our whole schedule (family, work, hubby’s) on the iphone. Nothing wrong with the 4S!

Anyway, I appear to be rambling with no clear direction today. The point I was trying to make with the whole magazine borrowing thing is that there are camera magazines that would be good to read!

Which one?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter