Discovering Another Mad Dash (Oct 14): Heading Home and Finally finishing this TR #1523 (05/03)

Don't.Forget.to.Turn.in.your.Paperwork.

It's 4 weeks to go and I think I've finally turned in all my paperwork!! Roz will be pleased.

Like I always say....passports, ESTA, plane tickets, money/credit card and travel insurance. That's pretty much what you need in order to legitimately travel. Here's the final accounting of the paperwork.
  • Passport: 3 valid passports in hand. DS' brand spanking new passport arrived about 2 weeks ago.
  • ESTA: I have 3 x long string of numbers that are approved. This will mean that the airlines will let us board the planes. And yes, they do check!
  • Plane tickets: 3 tickets and the information updated within the airline website with our passport details. I've also gotten seats booked on all possible flights.
  • Money/credit card: The Aussie Dollar looks like it might be heading into freefall! Still, I have enough converted to cover the hotels and food bill. I will be travelling with a Travel Card and cash on this trip. Usually I take American Express Traveller's Cheques as well but I figured I'd transfer more on the Travel Card this time and forego the AMEX TCheques.
  • Travel insurance: This was the last paper trail that I completed. The point is....it's done now.

I've even completed our travel details on the Australian Government Smart Traveller website. This is a nice-to-do; rather than a must-do e-paper form. By filling this e-form out, it gives the Australian Government a way to contact me or find me in case of an emergency.

And I'm happy to report that DH has booked a car. In my spare time, I'll be printing out road directions between all destination points.

I don't think I've forgotten any paperwork. But if there is someone out there who thinks I have, let me know.

Otherwise, all that's left is the countdown! 4 weeks to go.

princess::upsidedow

We haven't figured out what we're cooking on our night in at my house. :rolleyes1

I was thinking that if I get my aunt to take me to one of the Asian groceries near her, I could grab some tamarind, okra, curry powder and onions to make a tamarind based Indian curry. If we have fish or even hard boiled eggs, it could go on top of either of those two. And it could stay separate for those that don't like curry.

Otherwise, I could grab some flat rice noodles, shrimp, bean shoots, chinese sausage, kecap manis and fry some Char Kaoy Teow. I assume you have a wok? Otherwise a fry pan will be fine. We could have this on the Thursday for mid-morning/lunch depending on what you decide to do on Thursday.

I would lean towards the second option (probably being the one you're meaning doesn't like curry powder). I still have the kecap manis we used in Florida. I've used it un fried rice a couple times. I have two woks, but the better one is still at the old house. I'll need to get that soon as I have Schezwan Chicken on the menu plans for the week after next.

We have a large Thai and Cambodian population in Long Beach so there are quite a few Asian markets. There are also some good quality seafood markets in our neighborhood. Buying shrimp can be a tricky business as some places don't carry the best quality seafood.

I was kkind of hoping you would make something Asian inspired. I didn't get enough of your fried rice last year.

You sound well organized and ready to travel. :thumbsup2

You are all going to have so much fun! Looking forward to LOTS of pics here and on FB. :goodvibes

I like the send option for dinner too...not that I'll be there.....:rotfl2:

I would lean towards the second option (probably being the one you're meaning doesn't like curry powder). I still have the kecap manis we used in Florida. I've used it un fried rice a couple times. I have two woks, but the better one is still at the old house. I'll need to get that soon as I have Schezwan Chicken on the menu plans for the week after next.

We have a large Thai and Cambodian population in Long Beach so there are quite a few Asian markets. There are also some good quality seafood markets in our neighborhood. Buying shrimp can be a tricky business as some places don't carry the best quality seafood.

I was kkind of hoping you would make something Asian inspired. I didn't get enough of your fried rice last year.

Great! I might add the tom yum noodles to the list as well then.

I had planned on getting the shrimp in Long Beach so our thinking aligns. I'll make sure I get non-perishables when/if I see them and bring them down.

You sound well organized and ready to travel. :thumbsup2

You are all going to have so much fun! Looking forward to LOTS of pics here and on FB. :goodvibes

I like the send option for dinner too...not that I'll be there.....:rotfl2:

Thanks Jenny. :thumbsup2

I may not post on FB until after I get home. I do like to stay away from technology when I'm on holiday.

Three.Weeks.to.Warm.Weather.

It's 3 weeks to go and I'm starting to watch the weather in SoCal. Can you blame me?

Despite the fact that it's supposed to be autumn in SoCal, I am concerned with the hot and humid and drought conditions that the state is facing right now. I really am not ready for temperatures about 100 F. So, I really hope it cools down in 3 week's time!

Afterall, it's been pretty grey and bleak winter in Melbourne this year.

At times, it's been downright arctic.

It's definitely been hibernating weather around here.

But lately, there's been a ray of light.

The seasons are definitely turning here.

To the point where we can definitely tiptoe through the tulips.

I like the warmth as much as the next person but the transition from temperatures in the 50's - 60's to temperatures above 100 F is just a little too extreme for me. So, I've been watching Accuweather for the last week or so. The predicted temperatures are going to be in the 80's when we are there.

I'm sure hope that the weather forecast is accurate. That sounds about perfect to me.

3 weeks to go!

princess::upsidedow

I'm hoping that you won't have to deal with temperatures like we had last week! That was awful. :sad2:

Normal temps are much lower, and you will be at beach cities, so hopefully it won't be so bad.

Very nice pictures PiO of the outdoors. The flower pictures are very nice.

I'm hoping that you won't have to deal with temperatures like we had last week! That was awful. :sad2:

The weather was awful last week and we hope for the same thing next month.

I've been so concerned with function that i forgot to comment on how beautiful your pictures were. Unfortunately I now just expect such lovely pictures and don't even think to continue to compliment you. 5hey are always so lovely.

I've been so concerned with function that i forgot to comment on how beautiful your pictures were. Unfortunately I now just expect such lovely pictures and don't even think to continue to compliment you. 5hey are always so lovely.

That's so true! They are always amazing!

Normal temps are much lower, and you will be at beach cities, so hopefully it won't be so bad.

I hope so. Still checking Accuweather's monthly forecast and it still seems warm to me.

Very nice pictures PiO of the outdoors. The flower pictures are very nice.

The weather was awful last week and we hope for the same thing next month.

Thanks Bret.

Thanks, Alison. :goodvibes

That's so true! They are always amazing!

You guys are just so good to me. :goodvibes

Yay a for three weeks and wow on the photos especially the tulips one. :thumbsup2 Gorgeous!

Thanks!

Seems like the flowers are a hit; so I'll share a link.

I've been visiting the tulips on a yearly basis over the last 4 years; although I didn't make it last year because I was in the US. I've been sharing my pictures of the tulips on the Gardening subforum of the Dis. So, if anyone is interested to tiptoe through the tulips with me, check out the thread.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2806635

I hope so. Still checking Accuweather's monthly forecast and it still seems warm to me.

Southern California is pretty much warm. Pretty much most of the year. I'm not even sure the last time I wore a jacket (when I wasn't on vacation).

I hope you get some nice weather. It was disgusting in Anaheim for us :crazy2:

I didn't know you were there for the 1/2! I was out there that weekend meeting up with another DISer, I would have enjoyed saying :wave2: to you too!

Southern California is pretty much warm. Pretty much most of the year. I'm not even sure the last time I wore a jacket (when I wasn't on vacation).

Oh my gosh I miss the weather at home. :cloud9:

I'd bring a light jacket for sure especially in October. The nights can be chilly and you never know if you'll want to head down to the beach or something in the evening. Better safe than sorry. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter