Discovering Another Mad Dash (Oct 14): Heading Home and Finally finishing this TR #1523 (05/03)

What a wonderful trip. I'm sorry that you didn't get to the WD Museum, but that just leaves something for the next trip, you certainly had a full trip with all kinds of fun memories and great times!

So sad it is almost over ! Sorry your last day was cold but at least it let you shop!

I agree ... I can't believe it's almost over! Have really enjoyed your TR and look forward to reading your next one! I'm sure it will happen soon! :lmao:

I hate the last day of vacation. I usually try to start planning my next trip as soon as I get home to have something to look forward to.:) You really managed to get a lot of scavenger hunt items.

So sad that it is over, I have enjoyed following along with you, and getting some good ideas on things we can do while in California. Thanks for posting so many wonderful photos. Can't wait to hear your final thoughts.

You got some nice pics ( with out anyone in the way ). Leaving vacation is always bittersweet. I dont like coming home either. You guys look like you had a great time. Cant wait to hear your final thoughts. Sorry about not being able to stay in your room. You have a great TR with many more to follow.

PIO, another great TR. Your drive along the coast looked beautiful even if it was cold. Thanks for letting us follow along. What am I going to do now that your TR is coming to a close?!??! Any new PTRs to come? :rolleyes1

Sounds like it was still a good day despite the problems.
I'd have been fuming about the room situation and demanded a new room. If they have agreed to it I always try and confirm the late check out the night before.

But at least you could grab a shower at the sports centre :)

Plus your coastal drive was lovely. You should be familiar with cold coastal drives being a Victorian :rolleyes1

LOVE Wholefoods. Wish we had a place like that here. Their soups and stews are divine. :cloud9:

But I gotta say the toast and Vegemite looks almost as wonderful...especially after a trip overseas ;)

Thanks so much for the wonderful TR as always. I'm ready for the next PTR ::yes::

popcorn::

What a wonderful trip. I'm sorry that you didn't get to the WD Museum, but that just leaves something for the next trip, you certainly had a full trip with all kinds of fun memories and great times!

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Northern California is so beautiful!

Thanks for following along everyone. I had a great time on my holiday and am currently scheming about my NEXT one....

Unfortunately, planning has hit a slight snag:

Plan #1 - DH and I were keen to hit the Iberian trail...Spain, Portugal and then head towards Morocco and Tunisia. We would have probably managed a side trip to EuroDisney. I think the uprising in Tunisia stopped that one in the tracks.

Plan #2 - I then thought of heading to Egypt and see the Pyramids. That planning didn't even get off the ground. 3 weeks after Tunisia, Egypt was also off the bucket list.

Plan #3 - Japan for some skiing and Tokyo Disneyland. No more said!

I'm scared :scared1: to even think of going anywhere else.

princess::upsidedow

Thanks for following along everyone. I had a great time on my holiday and am currently scheming about my NEXT one....

Plan #1 - DH and I were keen to hit the Iberian trail...Spain, Portugal and then head towards Morocco and Tunisia. We would have probably managed a side trip to EuroDisney. I think the uprising in Tunisia stopped that one in the tracks.

Plan #2 - I then thought of heading to Egypt and see the Pyramids. That planning didn't even get off the ground. 3 weeks after Tunisia, Egypt was also off the bucket list.

You will find some place to go. You are so adventerous

You know I stopped in at the museum but did not take the tour. It was 20 for an adult. Have you been there?

Oh dear...I don't think you should consider another Disney World trip anytime soon!

But seriously, once Japan recovers from all this (to the point that nuclear meltdown is not in the cards) there may be some excellent deals to encourage tourism. Shortly after the world trade center attacks in the US, tourism was hit pretty hard...I know Disney was desparate for guests, the parks were practically empty for a few months afterwards.

Tunisia and Egypt I think I would avoid for a while...

We were thinking of Tokyo Disney in 2013, it will probably be like New Orleans, dying to get their tourism back and everyone is afraid to go...we'll just have to wait and see.

Please don't think of going back to WDW, Washington DC, Montreal, New Orleans, or a Disney cruise, those are some of the other things we are thinking of in the next five years! :rotfl2: Perhaps we should consider coming to visit you and Sydney sooner rather than later!

You know I stopped in at the museum but did not take the tour. It was 20 for an adult. Have you been there?

We did it last Christmas, you can find it on my PTR page 9 post 133. We really enjoyed it. I took much longer than anyone else in our party and by the last room I was in tears (they showed newpaper cartoon clippings with tributes to Walt's death, it was very moving).

Oh dear...I don't think you should consider another Disney World trip anytime soon!

But seriously, once Japan recovers from all this (to the point that nuclear meltdown is not in the cards) there may be some excellent deals to encourage tourism. Shortly after the world trade center attacks in the US, tourism was hit pretty hard...I know Disney was desparate for guests, the parks were practically empty for a few months afterwards.

Tunisia and Egypt I think I would avoid for a while...

We were thinking of Tokyo Disney in 2013, it will probably be like New Orleans, dying to get their tourism back and everyone is afraid to go...we'll just have to wait and see.

Please don't think of going back to WDW, Washington DC, Montreal, New Orleans, or a Disney cruise, those are some of the other things we are thinking of in the next five years! :rotfl2: Perhaps we should consider coming to visit you and Sydney sooner rather than later!

I'm still on the drawing board...but all visitors to Melbourne are welcomed! :yay:

Might be construed as "advertising" :rolleyes1...and I'm hoping this might entice you to come visit me in Melbourne! :yay:

Over the last weekend, Monday was a public holiday in Melbourne. Ostensibly, the official public holiday is stated as Labour Day; but as any true blue Melbournian can tell you…..it was really the Moomba long weekend party.

Moomba is an aboriginal word that….best we can work out….means “Lets all get together and have fun!”. Celebrations are held along the Yarra River that runs through Melbourne and pretty much kick off on the Friday all the way through to Labour Day (Moomba) Monday public holiday.

Aside from the standard carnival rides and food stalls, the other Moomba activities include DragonBoat Racing, Waterskiing, Birdman Rally, cultural events, Fireworks and a Parade. I took the opportunity to enjoy the festivities and I don’t even want to list the number of scavenger hunt items I managed to snag.

It was a lovely hot and steamy day in Melbourne on Saturday….the weather was pushing into the 90’s….perfect to go down by the Yarra to enjoy the night fireworks. I even managed to convince DH and DS that we should head into the city.

We drove in and found a place to park. I had been food shopping in the morning….perhaps I should have taken some of my groceries down beforehand.

11-MarGardenshots202.jpg

We passed by the Town Hall where the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra was doing a performance on Star Wars music.

There were a number of Jedi and Tie fighters outside…

11-MarGardenshots197.jpg

….and the storm troopers….

11-MarGardenshots201.jpg

….and even Bobba Fett; unfortunately this guy got in my way!

11-MarGardenshots198.jpg

There were already quite a few people enjoying the festivities….

11-MarGardenshots206.jpg

And DS found a number of attractions to his liking…

11-MarGardenshots223.jpg

11-MarGardenshots231.jpg

I found a number of things happening that seemed just out of my reach….

11-MarGardenshots215.jpg

And immediately thought Wipeout!

11-MarGardenshots216.jpg

11-MarGardenshots217.jpg

But tonight was not a night for monkeying around…

11-MarGardenshots228.jpg

….I knew that DS was eager to hit the bigger rides….

11-MarGardenshots242.jpg

…..but I was not playing second banana tonight!

11-MarGardenshots229.jpg

I was on a mission! I was after some fireworks shots. So the boys and I temporarily parted company so that I could go scout out a prime spot on the banks of the Yarra.

I’d decided to set up here…..my camera and tripod were ready for a good night's shooting over the banks of the Yarra River. Even had the new wide angle lens, which I had decided to shoot with.

Afterall, look at this shot of the Melbourne skyline, complete with some of the rides on the opposite side of the river going round!

11-MarGardenshots260.jpg

Check out the set of three pontoons in the picture on the river. There are 4 sets of three pontoons spaced out on the river. That's where the fireworks were going to be let off from. And because they are spaced out along the river, the crowds aren't on top of each other. Everyone gets a decent view.

So, I had the perfect spot....right equipment.....and I had checked the conditions to make sure that I had the right camera settings as well.

Well....guess what??? They couldn't get MY set of friggin' pontoons into position...and the fireworks were delayed for 5 minutes....10 minutes....and finally after 15 minutes.....they announced that the show was going to start!

And the went off from the other 3 positions on the Yarra EXCEPT for the one I sat in front of!

And to whet your appetite for what might have been...:headache:

11-MarGardenshots267.jpg

11-MarGardenshots272.jpg

I'm probably gonna have to wait until New Year's Eve 2011 for my next opportunity. :rolleyes1

(Continued in Next Post)

(Continued from Previous Post)

Madness! Just Plain Madness! In the name of Charity

The Birdman Rally has been a feature of Moomba for as long as I can remember. Its an event where people get to live out their Leonardo da Vinci fantasies and probably spend the better part of a year designing and scheming on their Birdman tendencies. But it is all for a good cause. All the entrants also spend their time raising money for their nominated charities, which I guess is a worthwhile cause.

I got into the city a bit later than I had planned and the Rally was already in full swing….plus there were throngs of people there so I didn’t really have the best view.

The idea is a simple concept….

Take a platform and a contraption that you think will fly. Run as fast as you on the platform….

11-MarGardenshots290.jpg

And keep going ….

11-MarGardenshots292.jpg

….for as long as inertia or your contraption will let you.

11-MarGardenshots294.jpg

No matter what you try to do…..

11-MarGardenshots295.jpg

….You’ll eventually get wet!

11-MarGardenshots296.jpg

And then the Emergency services will have to step in…

11-MarGardenshots299.jpg

To bail you…

11-MarGardenshots300.jpg

….and your contraption out of the water.

11-MarGardenshots302.jpg

Doesn’t matter how elaborate you make your wings….

11-MarGardenshots309.jpg

….the results are always the same.

Wipeout

11-MarGardenshots310.jpg

…followed by Cleanup.

11-MarGardenshots276.jpg

The other event that draws crowds along the Yarra is the waterskiing.

110314MoombaParade344.jpg

This is always a huge hit with the people sitting along the banks….

110314MoombaParade343.jpg

110314MoombaParade330.jpg

I always like the free music….

110314MoombaParade347.jpg

…just my luck. Gospel choir was out today, singing In Unison.

110314MoombaParade351.jpg

(Continued in Next Post)

Moomba Parade - Part 1

One of the highlights of Moomba is the parade. And because the scavenger hunt is still going, I’m gonna claim that the parade is our version of Mardi Gras.

The boys decided that they didn’t want to go, so I went in early and staked out a piece of prime real estate on the fence line.

I haven’t been to a Moomba parade in years! From what I remember, it used to be a ragtag of floats and groups that just walked down one of the main thoroughfares in Melbourne, Swanston Street, without any connection. I also remember that for anyone who wanted to form a group and march on Moomba day, they only needed to pay the float fee and they were ‘in’. Made for some interesting and sub-par parades in the past.

Turns out that someone must have decided to put a stop to the ‘free for all’ and introduced a theme to the parade. I don’t know whether it was just this year’s parade or whether it had been in place for a number of years….but this year’s parade focused on the many Festivals and Major Events that Melbourne likes to pride itself on. And it was ordered by months in the year!

Each month had a “month marshall”…

110314MoombaParade010.jpg

…And the parade started bang on time!

110314MoombaParade017.jpg

110314MoombaParade018.jpg

January. It’s summer in Melbourne.

110314MoombaParade020.jpg

…and the festival of….well….you can read the sign yourself. I don’t want to type a word that might get me banned or earn points towards a banning on the Dis.

110314MoombaParade024.jpg

The Bridal show is also on in January.

110314MoombaParade032.jpg

We also had marching bands with instruments in use, all marching in unison

110314MoombaParade038.jpg

I have to slip in the picture of my heroes….the State Emergency Services.

110314MoombaParade040.jpg

February. Back to school.

110314MoombaParade045.jpg

110314MoombaParade050.jpg

I’d hate to run into these guys in a dark alley…but it was nice to see the colour and the multiculturalism that is so much a fabric of Melbourne.

110314MoombaParade053.jpg

March. It’s Moomba time!

110314MoombaParade059.jpg

This off-road vehicle, in use….

110314MoombaParade061.jpg

….representing the Birdman Rally float!

110314MoombaParade064.jpg

Our Indonesian neighbours were well represented in the parade.

110314MoombaParade067.jpg

They were out in force, in beautiful traditional costumes, complete with umbrella in use

110314MoombaParade069.jpg
110314MoombaParade070.jpg

March is also the month for Women’s Rights – Votes for Women!

110314MoombaParade073.jpg

April. Complete with Funny Sign

110314MoombaParade076.jpg

King Tut floated on by as well…

110314MoombaParade081.jpg

…there’s an exhibition on in April!

110314MoombaParade082.jpg

(Continued in Next Post)

Moomba Parade - Part 2

May. A time for the Fringe Art festival

110314MoombaParade086.jpg

110314MoombaParade090.jpg

June. World Environment Day….

110314MoombaParade093.jpg

….and the treelovers are out in force.

110314MoombaParade100.jpg
110314MoombaParade102.jpg

And did you know that the Girl Guides celebrate their centenary this year in June?

110314MoombaParade104.jpg

The parade kept going with hiphop dancers…

110314MoombaParade105.jpg

….and hip HOPPERS!

110314MoombaParade119.jpg

July. Brought me an umbrella in use.

110314MoombaParade122.jpg

There is only one thing that is talked about during July….Aussie Rules Footy!

110314MoombaParade127.jpg

In a city of over 4 million supporters….

110314MoombaParade123.jpg

August. Diwali celebrations for our Indian community.

110314MoombaParade186.jpg

110314MoombaParade194.jpg

Jai Ho – Colour…

110314MoombaParade199.jpg

….and Motion!

110314MoombaParade198.jpg

August is also Food and Wine festival in Melbourne!

110314MoombaParade132.jpg

Lots of food on offer...

110314MoombaParade145.jpg

...and lots of restaurant tables to eat at.

110314MoombaParade143.jpg

September. Springtime and the Fashion Show!

110314MoombaParade149.jpg

Not fashion that I’ll be wearing anytime soon.

110314MoombaParade160.jpg

I guess this is as close as the supermodels are going to get to waving at me.

110314MoombaParade158.jpg

September is also the Royal Melbourne Show time!

110314MoombaParade174.jpg

We always love to go to the showgrounds to look at the animals..

110314MoombaParade172.jpg

….food, woodchopping….

110314MoombaParade176.jpg

…well trained dogs!

110314MoombaParade178.jpg

(Continued in Next Post)

Moomba Parade - Part 3

October. International Arts Festival time.

Mr October and I had a thing going…

110314MoombaParade188.jpg

….I just loved what he was doing with his...er...stand…

110314MoombaParade189.jpg

…and he kept heading my way!

110314MoombaParade190.jpg

So, I almost missed the Fringe Festival float.

110314MoombaParade209.jpg

110314MoombaParade211.jpg

November. Is there anything else but the Melbourne Cup on this month?

110314MoombaParade214.jpg

It’s the “Race that stops the Nation” and Melbournians get a public holiday day for this horse race.

Lots of dress-ups…

110314MoombaParade220.jpg
110314MoombaParade218.jpg

…top hats and tails!

110314MoombaParade222.jpg

December. Summer and the sounds of cricket!

110314MoombaParade227.jpg

Dancesport championships will be in town.

110314MoombaParade229.jpg

Grab your partner, preferably with some fringe action…

110314MoombaParade233.jpg

And sashay on down the road…

110314MoombaParade235.jpg

Don’t forget to strike a pose!

110314MoombaParade239.jpg

And what parade is complete without Santa, Aussie Style…

110314MoombaParade243.jpg

…and his Six White Boomers!

110314MoombaParade244.jpg

Yes, it was a good parade, with lots of high points…

110314MoombaParade253.jpg

…lots to take a gander at…

110314MoombaParade262.jpg

..a right Melbournian Hoe-Down….

110314MoombaParade265.jpg

The Moomba parade always ends with the King (and Queen – hidden) of Moomba…

110314MoombaParade281.jpg

…and the Chinese dragon, reputed to be the longest outside mainland China.

110314MoombaParade291.jpg

110314MoombaParade305.jpg

110314MoombaParade308.jpg

I hope you’ve enjoyed the parade and the Moomba segue. I know had a blast last weekend!

Wow, that Moomba festival looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing!

It's great that you got to cover so much, and so many aspects of California. And try most of thier food too.

Still not a bad choice even without Tunisia. You could add a little Italy if you need to cover more distance in a trip.

Of course I would just add Egypt to Plan #1 but it may take a long time until either of the contries are safe enough to travel to.

#3 would be my first choice. Do you like skiing trees? Powder snow? Northern Japan is supposed to be awesome for both. Though a friend of mine just went. He bragged about all the new snow there and I told him we got about 1.5 meters while he was gone so I'm not jealous.Also TDL is the main reason I'd want to go to Japan.

Perhaprs if you visit there it would be a gracious thing to do as the rebuild what they have recently lost. Perhaps some good deals will come along too.

Colton & I just "watched" the parade he really liked the Kangaroos on Santa's sleigh and the guys dressed up as tires. Looks like a really fun day!

OMG Princess... it has been so long since we have been to Moomba! Your pic's make me want to go again ... maybe next year! It is such a fun celebration, sometimes we forget all the good things in our own backyard! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter