Discovering A Whole New World of Disney-An October 2013 Photo Safari **Updated 2/20

During the show I couldn’t help notice the little girl who looked to be about 2 years old sitting with her family in the row in front of me. During the more emotionally heavy portions of the show, you know when everyone thinks Nemo died, she got so upset that she just started crying and sobbing. Her dad tried his best to comfort her but it was just too much for her. That reminded me of our DD who when we first took her to see this show when she was two did the exact same thing. To this day, our DD who is 7 continues to get very emotional with certain scenes. I remember when I took her to see Wreck It Ralph a couple of years ago in the theater, she started sobbing uncontrollably when Venellope appeared to be on the brink of being left behind in a video game that was crashing around her. I love how DD can react and be so emotionally invested in theater (which is why I signed her up for some theater class this fall) and watching the family in front made me think of her.

I absolutely just LOVE that about Disney. A lot of people think that Disney fans just love the warm fuzzies - pixie dust, happily ever after, etc. But there's so much depth and real feelings that really tug the heart strings no matter what your age. I will never, ever forget the first movie I cried at was the Lion King when Mufasa dies. Heart-wrenching. That was when I was 4. And my own son cried inconsolably during the very beginning of Toy Story 3 when he thinks Woody has gone over the cliff. I love it!

I also must tell you I love your pictures, as I'm sure every comment on here is saying! I will always have a soft spot in my heart for photography. I took classes in high school and fell in love. The sharpness and exposure can add so much, but it also takes an eye for the composition of the shot. I think you have it! I dream of the day I can get back into it...but we're just a young little family on a single income and with all the trips we want to take it, it's not in the cards right now. I am trying to make it a priority, because let's be real...the pictures are what matters, they illustrate the memories! I was slightly (okay, more than slightly) disappointed because I DID research on an affordable point and shoot, and honestly, the camera takes INCREDIBLE pictures for a point and shoot in good lighting. However, after getting the camera and using it and then scouring the internet to make sure there wasn't SOMETHING I was missing, I discovered there was NO WAY to force the flash on. There is literally only "auto" and "force off". :eek: So frustrating. And from my post-camera-purchase internet research, it seems as if the last model of this had the flash come up every single time you turned the camera on and people didn't like that so they got rid of it. SILLY. How hard it is to have 3 options - on, auto, off? I don't know how I missed that in my pre-purchase research but live and learn! (Sorry about the rant. :rolleyes1 I was hoping you wouldn't mind since you enjoy photography!)

SO YOU ARE THE CULPRIT FOR WHY MY FAVORITE PARK CLOSED SO EARLY ON MY LAST NIGHT!!! :mad: HA, kidding. Luckily, I got everything I needed done that day and spent the rest of the night frolicking through the Magic Kingdom, so no hard feelings, sir. Love your night time shots of the park though...so beautiful there!

Well a ready room during a busy time is always a good thing! The YC rooms are just so gorgeous. I've always had Boardwalk at the top of my list but YC is sneaking up fast!
Wow. Dave, I fully expected beautiful photos from you but that one of the YC at sunset is incredibly stunning. Frame that!
I can only imagine how awesome it would be to walk to Epcot. Some day!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Isn't it amazing what you see when you slow down a bit. Like you, I always kept a "get to the next attraction" pace. Solo, I was able to "smell the roses" so to speak, and what a difference. Everyone should try it.

Gertie is treasure not to be missed.

Wow, that is pretty cool that everything was basically running including Fantasmic. I never would have guessed that for a private party.

I thought I replied to your last update.... Hmmm guess I didn't... Sometimes I feel like Dory - by the time I'm at the other end of the tank I forget what .... Ooooo look something shiny! ..... What was I talking about? ;)

I really enjoy the pictures of the lighthouse and beach! Feels like being at the shore more than being at Disney! I love the light of sunsets (and sunrises!) So warm and soft.... Also nice room! The YC looks like a beautiful resort!

I love the perspective of the Hollywood Studios photos! So great, and I'm still amazed at how empty it was when you took the ToT shot with the tables!

An extra 1.5 hours can do wonders at DHS!
::yes:: :thumbsup2

Here’s a new one I discovered along Echo Lake called “Min and Bill’s Dockside Diner.”

I bought a Coke Zero from them to commemorate the occasion and sat at one of the tables. As I gulped down the pure refreshment that is Coke Zero while looking across the lake I wondered out loud “What else have I been missing?” which was quickly replaced by “Oooooh! Gertie!”
Wow... you really did need this opportunity to just slow down and take it all in. You must have always had the blinders on when walking around Echo Lake. :lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:

I took this picture as I was walking back towards the Swan/Dolphin resort for my dinner at bluezoo. Decided that the line at the dock was way too long so I took the walking path. I can never resist a photo op with my favorite haunted hotel.
And you definitely got photographic evidence that the line at the dock was insane. :lmao:

The nerd in me actually pulled up attendance figures for DHS from the previous year and divided it up by 365 which led to an average daily attendance number somewhere in the 22000 range. So that’s half of the average crowd level for the whole year!
:worship:

Comments like “What exactly is Toy Story Mania? Is it a ride?”
This is the point where you find someone near you and start talking, loudly, about how awesome the Great Movie Ride and Backlot Tour are. That'll keep them busy for a while... :rolleyes1

Another DJ was set up in front of RnR and this one had a lot more adults joining in on the dance madness.
No... just... no...

There is no reason to have a DJ here. The Usual Aerosmith soundtrack should be the only music played here. If anything just turn the volume up. This is wrong. :rotfl2::lmao:

This time I was exiting the ride and saw this angle. I think this is my favorite look of the limo so far.
:thumbsup2 Nicely done!

I didn’t see Fantasmic this time but I did take advantage of those 30 minutes by going on RnRC which had zero people in queue during that time.
:worship: I know where I'd be.

At 11pm the event was officially over and the CMs were waving us out with their magically lit batons.
In DHS, shouldn't they be referred to as light sabers? :confused3 :darth:

While I was taking shots of this scene of Sunset Blvd, a CM unintentionally scared the crap out of me when he unbeknownst to me snuck behind me to watch me set up the camera
Please tell me it was a ToT CM... :rollyes1.

Great pictures of DHS, Dave! I know you had to have taken more than 2 of the Star Wars area though. :rolleyes1

Joining in! I love your pictures! The picture of the fireworks over the tangled bathrooms is so beautiful! And I completely agree with you about the music in the Finding Nemo show. It just falls flat. With better music that show would be amazing.

Welcome!! Great to have you on board!

I've had a lot of time to stare at the various fireworks pictures I've gotten during this trip and I'm with you that the Tangled Wishes picture is emerging as my favorite one as well. Love your DIS name by the way! :thumbsup2

I also must tell you I love your pictures, as I'm sure every comment on here is saying! I will always have a soft spot in my heart for photography. I took classes in high school and fell in love. The sharpness and exposure can add so much, but it also takes an eye for the composition of the shot. I think you have it! I dream of the day I can get back into it...but we're just a young little family on a single income and with all the trips we want to take it, it's not in the cards right now. I am trying to make it a priority, because let's be real...the pictures are what matters, they illustrate the memories! I was slightly (okay, more than slightly) disappointed because I DID research on an affordable point and shoot, and honestly, the camera takes INCREDIBLE pictures for a point and shoot in good lighting. However, after getting the camera and using it and then scouring the internet to make sure there wasn't SOMETHING I was missing, I discovered there was NO WAY to force the flash on. There is literally only "auto" and "force off". :eek: So frustrating. And from my post-camera-purchase internet research, it seems as if the last model of this had the flash come up every single time you turned the camera on and people didn't like that so they got rid of it. SILLY. How hard it is to have 3 options - on, auto, off? I don't know how I missed that in my pre-purchase research but live and learn! (Sorry about the rant. :rolleyes1 I was hoping you wouldn't mind since you enjoy photography!)

SO YOU ARE THE CULPRIT FOR WHY MY FAVORITE PARK CLOSED SO EARLY ON MY LAST NIGHT!!! :mad: HA, kidding. Luckily, I got everything I needed done that day and spent the rest of the night frolicking through the Magic Kingdom, so no hard feelings, sir. Love your night time shots of the park though...so beautiful there!

Welcome and thank you for following! I hear ya about the point-and-shoots. Sometimes they can really try your patience especially if you have a very specific idea on how you want the settings to work. That's what happened with me when I finally ditched the point and shoot. I just met that threshold where I just needed some more control over the process. :rotfl:

Part of me did feel a little guilty that day especially on my way to DHS earlier during the final couple of regular park hours. I took the Friendship boat over from YC and as we were arriving at DHS dock the captain announced overhead reminding everyone that the park was closing early at 6pm. The two guys in front of me looked at each other and said "Whaaaaat?". Didn't think it was a good time for me to gloat and tell them that I still get to go tonight. :lmao: Good to hear you got all of the stuff you wanted done at DHS! :thumbsup2

Well a ready room during a busy time is always a good thing! The YC rooms are just so gorgeous. I've always had Boardwalk at the top of my list but YC is sneaking up fast!
Wow. Dave, I fully expected beautiful photos from you but that one of the YC at sunset is incredibly stunning. Frame that!
I can only imagine how awesome it would be to walk to Epcot. Some day!

Thanks Wendy! I think your trip is imminent, isn't it? So excited for you! Hope you have a great time and I want to see lots of pictures! :goodvibes

Isn't it amazing what you see when you slow down a bit. Like you, I always kept a "get to the next attraction" pace. Solo, I was able to "smell the roses" so to speak, and what a difference. Everyone should try it.

Gertie is treasure not to be missed.

Wow, that is pretty cool that everything was basically running including Fantasmic. I never would have guessed that for a private party.

Yeah, I was really surprised that they were doing THREE Jedi Training Sessions.

Speaking of slowing down I think this solo trip will help me also slow things down for my family for January! Having tasted the slower pace and liking it, not afraid to go at this new speed. It also helps that DW has basically resigned to the notion that I'm going to be planning these trips once a year. :lmao: so I know if we miss something this time we can try to catch it next time!

I thought I replied to your last update.... Hmmm guess I didn't... Sometimes I feel like Dory - by the time I'm at the other end of the tank I forget what .... Ooooo look something shiny! ..... What was I talking about? ;)

I really enjoy the pictures of the lighthouse and beach! Feels like being at the shore more than being at Disney! I love the light of sunsets (and sunrises!) So warm and soft.... Also nice room! The YC looks like a beautiful resort!

I love the perspective of the Hollywood Studios photos! So great, and I'm still amazed at how empty it was when you took the ToT shot with the tables!

That picture of Sunset Blvd is a bit deceiving in that the park was not as empty as it appears in the photo. I used a very very long exposure. 20 seconds to be exact so all those stragglers trying to leave the park and walking down the street got essentially erased because of the long shutter time. :thumbsup2

Wow... you really did need this opportunity to just slow down and take it all in. You must have always had the blinders on when walking around Echo Lake. :lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:

It's crazy what I never noticed. I didn't know there was a giant dinosaur in that lake until a few months ago when I was reading someone's TR and saw the picture. I said "Wait, where the heck is this???" My excuse is I don't think I ever walked around that lake because when we're at DHS we primarily walk back and forth between TSMM and ToT/RnR which completely bypasses Echo Lake! :lmao:

And you definitely got photographic evidence that the line at the dock was insane. :lmao:

Ok, I seriously didn't realize I caught the line on that image. :rotfl: But yeah, you can see how long that line was and it was going to be at least two boats before I would have got on.

There is no reason to have a DJ here. The Usual Aerosmith soundtrack should be the only music played here. If anything just turn the volume up. This is wrong. :rotfl2::lmao:

Can't argue with that!

In DHS, shouldn't they be referred to as light sabers? :confused3 :darth:

:lmao:

Please tell me it was a ToT CM... :rollyes1.

It was actually a janitorial CM. At first when I saw him standing behind me I thought he was going to try to get me to leave the park since it's closing. :rotfl:

Great pictures of DHS, Dave! I know you had to have taken more than 2 of the Star Wars area though. :rolleyes1

I have a few more Star Wars pics from the Star Tours queue. Saving those for another update! :thumbsup2

Looks like a pretty good time even if it was a little more crowded than anticipated. Looks like they really went all out at the park of the conference attendees and their close extended family :rotfl:

That sucks on the lockers, carrying your gear around all night can be a pain. literally.:rotfl2::lmao: At least for the shots you were able to get it was worth carrying around and holding onto for dear life on the rides.

You were able to get some great shots at the end of the night. Always awesome to be able to close the park out and get those shots with everything empty on the way out. It is not the same during the night when people tend to stop in one place for too long and show up in your shot. At the end of the night everyone is ready to leave the park and get home, keeps them moving. :lmao:

I love the photos of an empty Sunset Blvd and Hollywood Blvd. You never see that!!

Totally makes sense to have a DJ in front of RnRC - especially if they were playing Aerosmith!

You were able to get some great shots at the end of the night. Always awesome to be able to close the park out and get those shots with everything empty on the way out. It is not the same during the night when people tend to stop in one place for too long and show up in your shot. At the end of the night everyone is ready to leave the park and get home, keeps them moving. :lmao:

Every now and then though you see that one person who decides to come to a complete stop now only in the dead center of your frame but also a very well lit portion of the frame. I almost want to yell out KEEP MOVING but never do. Instead I scrap the shot and retake the 20 second exposure picture again. ;)

I love the photos of an empty Sunset Blvd and Hollywood Blvd. You never see that!!

Totally makes sense to have a DJ in front of RnRC - especially if they were playing Aerosmith!

Thanks Brenda!

Honestly I can't remember what music the DJ was playing. I was having too much fun watching the tipsy adults dancing around. :lmao:

Another weekend is here and the fall leaves are starting to fade away here in the Nation's Capitol. Kids are excited about the three day weekend and I'll have to come up with something to do with them on Monday when DW is working and I'm off. Feels like that time of year when we frequent the museums. Really enjoy the low crowds this time of year and ample free street parking along the National Mall.

I have my next and probably final "test run" for a family photo shoot. One of my colleagues at work saw the pictures I did with my previous two trial runs and asked if I could take photos of his family. We'll be heading out to the U.S. National Arboretum in NE DC which I scouted out the location yesterday. I'm a little nervous about this one because the weather already so chilly and they have young children. Also the leaves are starting to look more wintery than fall like but I think I found a nice alcove in this massive park that could work well.

Hopefully it will go well. I'll post the pictures from this session on my Facebook page to share with you. If I'm not "friends" with you yet on FB, please send me a PM and I can shoot you the link to my page.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Hope to get another post for this TR by tomorrow evening!

Just realized that when I typed up a response to your second last post, your latest had already been posted and I missed it! Dratted iPad messes me up. Ok, here's to your DHS/event night post!
I vote yes for Star Wars land. Like... before you ever put another cent or minute into Avatar land.
A private event (even if "Private" = 10,000!) would be so amazing. Look at the DJs everywhere! So cool! Love that shot of the little girl dancing her feet off. :thumbsup2
I like that angle of the limo too, I think it's because you can see the dash and steering wheel. I always get it from the front!
Amazing shots of Sunset Blvd. after the crowds left. I love hanging around the parks to take photos while everyone rushes for the exit!
Too funny about the CM sneaking up behind you. I tend to scare the wits out of people that way by accident. I'll just walk up and apparently I'm really silent (also I'm pretty small! :rotfl: ) and then when they turn, BAM! There I am. :rotfl2: I don't mean to!

Wow, talk about a deal on the room. I would have been on top of my computer immediately too so I could get the reservation.

Feels awkwardly slow but I like it speed! That makes absolute sense. Sadly, I don't move at that speed naturally, even when I'm relaxed.

You captured Luke's theme music perfectly! :lmao:

Whew, thank goodness your tripod didn't decapitate anyone. :rotfl:

I vote yes for Star Wars land. Like... before you ever put another cent or minute into Avatar land.

Couldn't agree more! I really can't get excited about Avatar Land. Maybe I'll change my mind after I see the sequel but I'm skeptical about the next two movies as well.

A private event (even if "Private" = 10,000!) would be so amazing. Look at the DJs everywhere! So cool! Love that shot of the little girl dancing her feet off. :thumbsup2

Mulch and Sweat (? I think that's their name) also had a mini concert stage along Sunset Blvd. It was pretty awesome.

I like that angle of the limo too, I think it's because you can see the dash and steering wheel. I always get it from the front!

This! :thumbsup2 I think that's why my past shots always felt soooo incomplete and unsatisfactory from up front. It gives the picture more life to see more of the interior of the limo.

Wow, talk about a deal on the room. I would have been on top of my computer immediately too so I could get the reservation.

Right? It's just so cheap! I found another conference that's more suited for DW in March that's held in Disney. The hotel is CR at a rate of $200! I don't think we can swing that trip this time but it's an annual conference always at CR/Disney so will have to keep that in mind for future years.

Feels awkwardly slow but I like it speed! That makes absolute sense. Sadly, I don't move at that speed naturally, even when I'm relaxed.

I'm like you in every day life. Always briskly walking and have to stop myself from out walking my family for more than a block! :sad2:

You captured Luke's theme music perfectly! :lmao:

Thank you! Been working on it since I was in first grade.

Whew, thank goodness your tripod didn't decapitate anyone. :rotfl:

Aaaaand I'm pretty sure the lawyers at WDW share your sentiment. :rotfl:

Loving the YC/Epcot resort area shots! I especially like the one of the ship wreck! :thumbsup2 I'm totally with you about jumping resorts. I mean, they're both pretty similar and both deluxe. Still a great deal no matter where you are!

Love all the DHS shots too! Glad you enjoyed your slow, kid-free touring pace. The empty park shots are awesome- even if you jumped out of your skin a little for that second one! :rotfl:

Loving the YC/Epcot resort area shots! I especially like the one of the ship wreck! :thumbsup2 I'm totally with you about jumping resorts. I mean, they're both pretty similar and both deluxe. Still a great deal no matter where you are!

Love all the DHS shots too! Glad you enjoyed your slow, kid-free touring pace. The empty park shots are awesome- even if you jumped out of your skin a little for that second one! :rotfl:

Thanks Emily! I loved the look of the shipwreck on the beach as well.

Yeah I'm still shaking my head about that CM.

I originally had an ambitious plan of touring the World Showcase and spending a considerable amount at each country while sampling each of the Food+Wine kiosks. Well, turned out I ran out of steam, time, and stomach space near the end of my trip to do so. So big apologies to Japan, Morocco, UK, France, and Canada. Nothing personal. I just happened to start on the other side of the Showcase and worked my way clockwise and your countries just happen to be on the wrong side of the clock.

First stop was Norway! Nope didn’t forget about Mexico and that’s coming up on another post. I’m just going to put this out there right now that I have shamefully neglected the World Showcase in general during past trips. For some reason I have found it difficult to do with two young children in the past. I’m pretty sure now though that DD7 will get a lot more out of it. Anyway, my past experiences in Norway started and ended with the princess meals at Akershus. This was the first time I actually looked around.

How was it that I had never before seen this cool looking wooden carving of…..ummm…..bird?.......no maybe a dragon? The answer: because it was tucked all the way in the back by the restroom entrances!

IMG_0836 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Speaking of neglect, I went on Maelstrom for the first time ever. My impression at the end of the ride can be described as utter confusion and puzzlement. Was the purpose of the boat ride to attract or repel more tourists to Norway? I actually really do want to visit this beautiful Scandinavian country but after that ride I had a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. If I was a child, I would be staying the heck away from the lands of ghostly Vikings and hungover trolls.

IMG_0838 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Seriously, look how blood shot that eye is!

IMG_0843 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

As we disembarked our boat the CM reminded us about the film we could watch about Norway. After hearing crickets from the group he quickly responded “And please, try to contain your excitement.” I thought about it then I saw that there were ZERO people watching it in the theater so off I went into the gift shop.

Hmmmm, more trolls. Someone really needs to rethink the marketing campaign for Norway tourism.

IMG_0846 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

That’s a little better!

IMG_0847 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

My favorite part of Norway turned out to be its exteriors and landscaping. I’ve seen this Viking warrior from pictures many times. It was still interesting to see it in person.

IMG_0849 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Then I found myself obsessed with the flowers that were lining the Norway landscape.

IMG_0854 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0855 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0856 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0857 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Taking these pictures I could almost pretend that I was strolling through a quaint little rural Norwegian village. Of course suddenly running into a Chinese umbrella can bring that daydream to an abrupt halt!

IMG_0860 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

So then I clearly became fixated on the umbrellas with my camera.

IMG_0861 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I walked around the store and found some interesting lighting products.

IMG_0863 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_0865 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Not sure where this door leads to. I should have tried pulling it open.

IMG_0868 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Didn’t see Mulan roaming the grounds this time. Walked over the bridge over the lotus pond.

IMG_0870 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Then I came across the South Korean Food and Wine Kiosk!

IMG_0876 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I was really looking forward to trying their pork lettuce wrap. It was good and I liked it. Hit the spot quite well as lunch time was approaching. I probably wouldn’t call it authentic though but still delicious. I also chuckled to myself that there were three CMs working the kiosk and none of them Korean. In fact, none of them were even Asian!:rotfl:

This is the view that enhanced my taste buds as I chowed down on the reinterpreted Korean cuisine. I think I could have sat there all afternoon but I had to move up to the Outpost.

IMG_0874 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

These giraffe pictures came out a whole lot better than the one from my safari at AK! It helps that these don’t really move.

IMG_0881 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Loved how they put together the sign for the facepainting spot.

IMG_0880 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

The African F+W kiosk served me a Spinach Paneer pocket which was reeeeeally good. I found a nice shady spot by the curve of the walkway when a CM came up and began performing some sidewalk art. Not bad!

IMG_0878 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

So there you have my experience from the first half of my Epcot World Showcase Tour!

No Korean or Asian CMs in S Korea F & W :rotfl2: I know a really lovely Asian girl
who is here on the college program where do they put her ? Merchandise in Canada we laugh all the time about her red & black plaid lumberjack style shirt
Yep she feels right at home

"Crickets " re Norway film I presume it was NOT Jiminy ;) Looks like you missed going in the church museum set up There are 3 Vikings in there ( one is a king sorry don't remember the history) but one that always sticks in my mind is the one with an axe held up in a menacing way and wearing some kind of leather hood....if you ever go in there the eyes are so real looking do NOT take the children in there :faint: Maybe Norway will become more children and chicken adult friendly with the release of the movie " Frozen " I heard they were going to have a new film update for Norway we'll see Landscape shots are beautiful so that saves Norway for me I always admire the wood carvings in that area

I'm FINALLY going to F & W tomorrow...yes the LAST day and always enjoyed Africa I will take your recommendation along with making a beeline for Italy...where the CMs will call me Bella because they ARE from Italy.... and OH that ravioli !

Holy smokes, this was your first trip on the classic that is Maelstrom??? Being a lover of scary things, this ride is an absolute must do. Heck, I even booked a FP for it!

I swear that poor CM at the end has to have the lonliest job in Disney. "Welcome Back" over and over and over...

Seeing the Showcase through you lens really brings it to life Dave.

I originally had an ambitious plan of touring the World Showcase and spending a considerable amount at each country while sampling each of the Food+Wine kiosks. Well, turned out I ran out of steam, time, and stomach space near the end of my trip to do so. So big apologies to Japan, Morocco, UK, France, and Canada. Nothing personal. I just happened to start on the other side of the Showcase and worked my way clockwise and your countries just happen to be on the wrong side of the clock. First stop was Norway! Nope didn’t forget about Mexico and that’s coming up on another post. I’m just going to put this out there right now that I have shamefully neglected the World Showcase in general during past trips. For some reason I have found it difficult to do with two young children in the past. I’m pretty sure now though that DD7 will get a lot more out of it. Anyway, my past experiences in Norway started and ended with the princess meals at Akershus. This was the first time I actually looked around. How was it that I had never before seen this cool looking wooden carving of…..ummm…..bird?.......no maybe a dragon? The answer: because it was tucked all the way in the back by the restroom entrances! http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776792314/ IMG_0836 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Speaking of neglect, I went on Maelstrom for the first time ever. My impression at the end of the ride can be described as utter confusion and puzzlement. Was the purpose of the boat ride to attract or repel more tourists to Norway? I actually really do want to visit this beautiful Scandinavian country but after that ride I had a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. If I was a child, I would be staying the heck away from the lands of ghostly Vikings and hungover trolls. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776712926/ IMG_0838 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Seriously, look how blood shot that eye is! http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776944863/ IMG_0843 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr As we disembarked our boat the CM reminded us about the film we could watch about Norway. After hearing crickets from the group he quickly responded “And please, try to contain your excitement.” I thought about it then I saw that there were ZERO people watching it in the theater so off I went into the gift shop. Hmmmm, more trolls. Someone really needs to rethink the marketing campaign for Norway tourism. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776678375/ IMG_0846 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr That’s a little better! http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776709976/ IMG_0847 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr My favorite part of Norway turned out to be its exteriors and landscaping. I’ve seen this Viking warrior from pictures many times. It was still interesting to see it in person. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776708486/ IMG_0849 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Then I found myself obsessed with the flowers that were lining the Norway landscape. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776707566/ IMG_0854 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776706466/ IMG_0855 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776673005/ IMG_0856 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776672285/ IMG_0857 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Taking these pictures I could almost pretend that I was strolling through a quaint little rural Norwegian village. Of course suddenly running into a Chinese umbrella can bring that daydream to an abrupt halt! http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776703496/ IMG_0860 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr So then I clearly became fixated on the umbrellas with my camera. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776781024/ IMG_0861 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr I walked around the store and found some interesting lighting products. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776668645/ IMG_0863 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776699326/ IMG_0865 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Not sure where this door leads to. I should have tried pulling it open. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776665495/ IMG_0868 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Didn’t see Mulan roaming the grounds this time. Walked over the bridge over the lotus pond. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776776324/ IMG_0870 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Then I came across the South Korean Food and Wine Kiosk! http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776773764/ IMG_0876 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr I was really looking forward to trying their pork lettuce wrap. It was good and I liked it. Hit the spot quite well as lunch time was approaching. I probably wouldn’t call it authentic though but still delicious. I also chuckled to myself that there were three CMs working the kiosk and none of them Korean. In fact, none of them were even Asian!:rotfl: This is the view that enhanced my taste buds as I chowed down on the reinterpreted Korean cuisine. I think I could have sat there all afternoon but I had to move up to the Outpost. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776696236/ IMG_0874 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr These giraffe pictures came out a whole lot better than the one from my safari at AK! It helps that these don’t really move. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776659365/ IMG_0881 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr Loved how they put together the sign for the facepainting spot. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776925163/ IMG_0880 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr The African F+W kiosk served me a Spinach Paneer pocket which was reeeeeally good. I found a nice shady spot by the curve of the walkway when a CM came up and began performing some sidewalk art. Not bad! http://www.flickr.com/photos/93364640@N04/10776926463/ IMG_0878 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr So there you have my experience from the first half of my Epcot World Showcase Tour!
The African spinach paneer pocket was a family favorite for us. Even my pickiest kid who eats nothing green grabbed it from daddy's hand for more! I know it's probably blasphemy but we liked that much more than the filet from Canada (we we had late in the evening so maybe that mattered?) It was well done and dry. Like super dry. Nowhere close to the best filet I've had and certainly not even the best F&W tasting.
Love your photos. We hasn't done world showcase before either and I can't say my kids (age 4) enjoyed it much. Maybe in a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

so I realized I had joined your TR in progress, but this morning rectified that and went back to read all the beginning - holy smokes you take good pictures!

And I have to comment that I just loved the picture of the small Minnie statue looking at the Partners Statue - so your efforts to get that shot were not in vein.

Glad you enjoyed the private event - gotta love being a Disney veteran and hearing non-veterans utter phrases like "So what is Toy Story Mania?" That is really cool that they ran things like Jedi Training Academy and Fantasmic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter