Discovering A Whole New World of Disney-An October 2013 Photo Safari **Updated 2/20

So jealous of your pics! Doing dark photography better is going to be my focus in the new year. There are a lot of regular life times that are almost as dark as a dark ride.

I never thought about it before but you and Wendy are right, the CM's don't really need to remind the large camera folks about flash it's the whole i-pad/camera as a phone crowd. The screens on those bother me more than the flash. If I wanted to watch the ride thru a screen I could have stayed home and took a you-tube vacation of disney.

You know, I never even give a single thought to the solo-trippers that I see. Well, other than to be jealous at times! I've only had about a half day solo experience and while it felt odd at times to say "just one" at the rides, it was really nice to be able to sit and people watch and go where ever I wanted. I have to say, that half day was one of my best days at Disney.

Christine

So jealous of your pics! Doing dark photography better is going to be my focus in the new year. There are a lot of regular life times that are almost as dark as a dark ride.

Christine

Hi Christine! I find dark ride photos so challenging even more so than some of my other indoor dimly lit shots because I'm sitting in a moving vehicle. :lmao: So not only are the animatronics doing their thing but we're sitting either in a Doombuggy, a boat, or a honey pot that's jerking us left and right. Sort of the equivalent of taking pictures inside our home while sitting on a wagon that my 4 year old is pulling. :rotfl: And I can't afford high shutter speeds to compensate for motion blur because then there's not enough light. The Haunted Mansion is THE most difficult because of this. The day I nail the shot of the Hitch Hiking Ghosts is the day I stop taking dark ride pictures. :lmao:

I travel solo a lot and absolutely love it! (altho on the Disney cruise I took for my birthday last month, I did get rather tired of answering THE questions several times every day -- "are you here alone?" -- I have lots of answers when needed for that, but over and over again was rather much; my first statement here is probably my most frequent answer). And yes, I also enjoy having other family/friends to share travel with, when someone else can go along.

I travel solo a lot and absolutely love it! (altho on the Disney cruise I took for my birthday last month, I did get rather tired of answering THE questions several times every day -- "are you here alone?" -- I have lots of answers when needed for that, but over and over again was rather much; my first statement here is probably my most frequent answer). And yes, I also enjoy having other family/friends to share travel with, when someone else can go along.

I hear ya! Some hosts/hostesses are better than others about it. I've had a couple at restaurants that repeatedly asked me how many even after I told them "One" with my index finger held up. I've had others who respond "Just one?" :lmao:

It was an ambitious plan. Before the trip I was trying to think of ways of photographing Wishes that provided a different perspective. As much as I love having THE castle in the foreground for the fireworks I wanted something new. So I started putting together locations that I thought would serve as great spots for taking pictures of the fireworks. Here’s what I posted on my PTR.

The locations I picked out were the Tangled Rest Area, the New Fantasyland walls, Be Our Guest and Beast’s Castle, and Prince Eric’s Castle. I had only one night of Wishes so I was attempting to hit all these spots in one single Wishes. I watched Wishes on youtube many times before the trip AND the evening before in my hotel room before going to bed so I could familiarize myself of the timing and sequence of the fireworks. 45 minutes before show time I fast-walked the route I had planned starting from the Tangled Rest Area and timed myself to see if I could indeed get from one point to the other in time to set up my camera and take the pictures. It was going to be tight and I decided that not only would I keep my camera mounted on the tripod during the walk but also that I would only fold the legs once (instead of all three times) which would save me time each time I had to set up the tripod AND would still shorten the tripod enough to carry it without me or anyone else tripping over it.

The most difficult part about scouting the locations was that I didn’t know exactly which direction the fireworks would be going off. I had to guestimate based on where Cinderella Castle was positioned from where I was standing but obviously couldn’t get any confirmation until the fireworks actually began. I did however figure out ahead of time that I would have to scrap my plans for using Rapunzel’s tower in the foreground because the angle just wouldn’t work right from the rest area and I would have to move all the way into Liberty Square to get both the tower and fireworks in the same frame. And there was no way I could increase the walking distance that much and make everything work. So instead, I decided to just stick with the restroom building as my foreground.

Here's a picture of Rapunzel's tower in its night time glow as I walked around the area.

IMG_1260 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

With 20 minutes to go I finally found a spot I liked at the Rest Area near the tables and benches where the phone chargers are located. I set up my tripod, set up my camera on top, played around with the exposure settings, hooked up the remote shutter release, and waited.

IMG_1256 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I LOVE Wishes. The best memory I have of the fireworks happened three years ago as we finished dinner and walked out of Cinderella’s Royal Table. The show was already half way through so we stood by the CRT entrance/podium and watched the fireworks go off behind the castle with the carousel as the backdrop. My daughter who was 4 at the time was completely mesmerized and was watching it with one of the CMs working the podium. As the show was about to reach the finale and the Blue Fairy talked about the power of wishes, DD looked up to the CM and asked “Do wishes really come true?” to which the CM cheerfully replied “Yes, all the time!” and without missing a beat the finale sequence started. Just perfect. It’s because of this little slice in time that every time the little girl begins singing Star Light Star Bright I get a little misty.

Soon enough the music started and after Jiminy’s intro the fireworks began. It was perfect. In fact, if I hadn't had other plans I would have been perfectly content watching the whole show from this spot.

IMG_1263 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I called an audible during the first part of the fireworks. I decided to stay a little longer than I had planned at the Tangled location because I didn’t think I got the shot I wanted. So instead I continued to take pictures through Hercules’ I Can Go the Distance sequence and it was totally worth it. I never realized it before but this sequence coincidentally happens to carry Rapunzel’s colors which made it perfect.

IMG_1274 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_1275 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Well, I was now a bit behind schedule. I quickly packed up and was on the move towards New Fantasyland. The fire columns from the Beauty and the Beast sequence already started before I even reached the carousel area so I kept walking straight into New FL and set up my tripod across from Be Our Guest restaurant. As soon as I finished setting up, Genie’s sequence began. I ran into a slight problem here. My back was right up against the construction walls for the Mine Ride. Even at the widest angle of the lens I couldn’t fit everything I wanted in a single frame. So unfortunately, this is all I was able to muster out of this location.

IMG_1277 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

The fireworks was just too darn high in the sky from this angle. There was no time to fret though. The Evil Queen began her sequence. I again packed up and quickly walked over to Ariel’s section. I set up the tripod across from Eric’s castle and waited for the finale. This part I really enjoyed. And since this was my last stop of the whirlwind tour I felt more relaxed and was able to enjoy the fantastic ending that is Wishes.

IMG_1279 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

IMG_1291 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Had a great heart pumping time doing this but thought it was well worth it! Now I'm going to have to come up with another different perspective on watching Wishes. We have Pirates and Pals Cruise planned for our family trip in January but I probably won't be getting any good pictures from that since we're on a boat and boats never stand still. :lmao:

Well... You know I love these shots!! They rival Disney advertisements.... Also, Wishes is my favorite as well, I could watch it every night! The story about your daughter is so sweet! It's amazing the special moments that really add to our magic. :)

Also.... I can just picture you running from location to location with tripod setup trying to get all these shots within 12 minutes!!

*love* those pictures! I always wanted to bring in a tripod to shoot the fireworks, but it doesn't seem very practical when I'm spending all day in the parks with the family. Yours are just beautiful though and makes me want to try it.

Hehe, I just simply adore that you did a test run for your Wishes photos. That is so precious.

I love that Wishes story with your daughter. I have to confess (and this is just between us)... I kinda like Wishes too.

Oh my goodness Dave, these photos are STUNNING!!!! One of these days I'm going to pull myself away from Main Street and try watching from a different (and less crowded) location. Just gorgeous.

Been away for a while so I'm a little behind...

First of all, I just have to say that I loved the update about going to the Disney Store and letting your DW talk you out of buying the whole set of Frozen characters. Only to go back and buy the rest. :rotfl2::lmao:

The ToT pictures are great. And it sounds like a fun evening. I wouldn't mind riding 4 times in a row, but I think I'd have a hard time stopping there. But I'd have an even harder time stopping if I could keep riding Rock n Rollercoaster over and over like that. :lmao: The CM's all seems like they were a lot of fun at ToT too. It always makes it a better ride when you can tell they're really into it. :thumbsup2

The Mermaid and Wishes pictures are all great too. You did good for not using a flash. :rolleyes1 And I really do like how the Tangled area and Beast's castle look in the foreground against the fireworks.

Well... You know I love these shots!! They rival Disney advertisements.... Also, Wishes is my favorite as well, I could watch it every night! The story about your daughter is so sweet! It's amazing the special moments that really add to our magic. :)

Thank you! Even though I watched it a few millions times on Youtube Wishes never gets old. :thumbsup2 I'm really curious how it will look from the cruise.

Also.... I can just picture you running from location to location with tripod setup trying to get all these shots within 12 minutes!!

:lmao: I did walk......very fast. ;) Fortunately it wasn't crowded at all in Fantasyland so I didn't have to much trouble making my way from point A to point B.

*love* those pictures! I always wanted to bring in a tripod to shoot the fireworks, but it doesn't seem very practical when I'm spending all day in the parks with the family. Yours are just beautiful though and makes me want to try it.

I'm warming up more to the idea of carrying my tripod around these days. Maybe because the kids are getting a bit older? Or it may be because I've been using it a lot more and I'm really getting used to it.

One tip I learned if you do decide to bring the tripods to the parks is that to stow it away in one of the lockers during the daytime and get it out for the night shots. At MK, I checked my tripod in at the camera store (? I think) located at the far left end right after you enter the turnstiles in the entrance area.

Hehe, I just simply adore that you did a test run for your Wishes photos. That is so precious.

I love that Wishes story with your daughter. I have to confess (and this is just between us)... I kinda like Wishes too.

Oh my goodness Dave, these photos are STUNNING!!!! One of these days I'm going to pull myself away from Main Street and try watching from a different (and less crowded) location. Just gorgeous.

Yeah, my type A was really shining through when I did the test run that evening. :lmao: I'll also fess up and admit that during the test run I used the stopwatch feature on my iphone to time myself. :rolleyes1

Awesome pics! :)

Thank you!

Been away for a while so I'm a little behind...

First of all, I just have to say that I loved the update about going to the Disney Store and letting your DW talk you out of buying the whole set of Frozen characters. Only to go back and buy the rest. :rotfl2::lmao:

The ToT pictures are great. And it sounds like a fun evening. I wouldn't mind riding 4 times in a row, but I think I'd have a hard time stopping there. But I'd have an even harder time stopping if I could keep riding Rock n Rollercoaster over and over like that. :lmao: The CM's all seems like they were a lot of fun at ToT too. It always makes it a better ride when you can tell they're really into it. :thumbsup2

The Mermaid and Wishes pictures are all great too. You did good for not using a flash. :rolleyes1 And I really do like how the Tangled area and Beast's castle look in the foreground against the fireworks.

Welcome back!

DW still rolls her eyes when I bring up my Disney Store visits. :lmao: And I'm still quite proud of my accomplishment. :rolleyes1

I think I got pretty spoiled at the private event and the number of times I was able to go on ToT and RnR. I should adjust my expectations for this upcoming January trip and be content with going on them just once or twice.

I'm warming up more to the idea of carrying my tripod around these days. Maybe because the kids are getting a bit older? Or it may be because I've been using it a lot more and I'm really getting used to it.

One tip I learned if you do decide to bring the tripods to the parks is that to stow it away in one of the lockers during the daytime and get it out for the night shots. At MK, I checked my tripod in at the camera store (? I think) located at the far left end right after you enter the turnstiles in the entrance area.

Seriously? Never knew I could check my tripod somewhere. My worry is trying to find a locker to fit it all day, if the large ones are taken. Even then it would be quite a feat to get it in. I have no idea I could just check it at the camera shop!

Seriously? Never knew I could check my tripod somewhere. My worry is trying to find a locker to fit it all day, if the large ones are taken. Even then it would be quite a feat to get it in. I have no idea I could just check it at the camera shop!

I wrote down the wrong location. It was at the locker rental location on the far RIGHT of the entrance area right after coming through the turnstiles and right before you go under the train station tunnel. I asked the CMs at the rental location if my tripod would fit and they said they could just tag it and check it for me. I think I paid the same price as a large locker. :goodvibes

Fabulous pictures! They look like Disney advertisements!

After each TR update I have a new song running thru my head, this morning it's Wishes. I think the part when the little girl starts singing is my favorite part, of course, I'm partial to girls.

I can't remember exactly when in January your trip is, but I just heard that Sofia and Doc are going to start meeting at Hollywood and Vine on January 26, so I don't know if that would fit in your plans. We are going to miss them by a couple of weeks. I'm glad I didn't saything to Sarah, she'd be so bummed to miss those two. Hopefully they will be doing some sort of "soft meet" or something earlier. I think Sofia might be out now.

Christine

Ahh, yes, and while you were doing your whirlwind Wishes marathon, DH was setting up his tripod in the middle of a completely packed Main Street USA!!! The two of you kill me with your dedication to fireworks photography. :rotfl: But it's worth it in the end for those beautiful photos. While I do love the ones by the Tangled area, I think my very favorite one is that last one over Eric's Castle. Stunning!!

Fabulous pictures! They look like Disney advertisements!

After each TR update I have a new song running thru my head, this morning it's Wishes. I think the part when the little girl starts singing is my favorite part, of course, I'm partial to girls.

I can't remember exactly when in January your trip is, but I just heard that Sofia and Doc are going to start meeting at Hollywood and Vine on January 26, so I don't know if that would fit in your plans. We are going to miss them by a couple of weeks. I'm glad I didn't saything to Sarah, she'd be so bummed to miss those two. Hopefully they will be doing some sort of "soft meet" or something earlier. I think Sofia might be out now.

Christine

Thanks Christine!

I read the news yesterday about Sofia and Doc joining the line up at Hollywood and Vine and I immediately called the Disney dining line to make an ADR (The website was giving me fits yesterday). I had been avoiding H+V because I heard the food was so-so but the new character line up was simply too much to pass since the kids LOVE Sofia, Doc, and Jake. Now I'm struggling to rearrange my touring plans for DHS that day! :lmao: And I'm also keeping this one a secret to the kids just in case Disney changes its mind about the start date. :rolleyes:

Sofia does indeed have a meet and greet outside of Disney Jr. Live stage near Jake.

Ahh, yes, and while you were doing your whirlwind Wishes marathon, DH was setting up his tripod in the middle of a completely packed Main Street USA!!! The two of you kill me with your dedication to fireworks photography. :rotfl: But it's worth it in the end for those beautiful photos. While I do love the ones by the Tangled area, I think my very favorite one is that last one over Eric's Castle. Stunning!!

:lmao: He told me about setting up the tripod in Main Street for Wishes the next morning when I saw him at Poly. I told him he was much braver than I am since I have this huge phobia that something bad is going to happen to my camera in that crowd. ;)

From Ariel's fireworks finale on that ride to your Wishes fireworks extravaganza - great job Dave! One of my favorite photos of yours is the fireworks from Wishes by the Tangled restrooms. Absolute perfection. The test run and the stop watch - that's great! You were certainly prepared. Were you the kid in school that thought pop quizzes were great since you were always prepared? :rotfl2:

I also loved all the ToT photos. Such details that you captured that I rarely take the time to see.

Niccccceeeeeee! Never even thought of those locations for Wishes. Really cool photos. Love them!

From Ariel's fireworks finale on that ride to your Wishes fireworks extravaganza - great job Dave! One of my favorite photos of yours is the fireworks from Wishes by the Tangled restrooms. Absolute perfection. The test run and the stop watch - that's great! You were certainly prepared. Were you the kid in school that thought pop quizzes were great since you were always prepared? :rotfl2:

I also loved all the ToT photos. Such details that you captured that I rarely take the time to see.

Thanks Brenda! Great to have you back from your trip! :thumbsup2

If only my type A approach to vacation planning and photography translated into other things :lmao:

Hoping to catch some more details at ToT in January!

Niccccceeeeeee! Never even thought of those locations for Wishes. Really cool photos. Love them!

Thank you! I wish there was a good way to take pictures of the Wishes while on the Pirates and Pals Cruise in January. I'm betting that vantage point will provide a wonderfully unique view of the show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter