• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Discovered the best clothing combo for summer heat-Microfiber microfiber microfiber

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
Before I went down to WDW I did lots of research because I didn't want the uncomfortable repeat from a June Orlando trip a few years back which was hot sticky and all around ikk.

By all accounts from sports websites i found for runners and such cotton and natural fibers are the enemy of hot humidity. All my stuff is natural fibers so I had to go on a search. Underclothes were the trickiest part for me, my kids have microfiber from being athletes and my daughter has plenty of sports bras she was ok. My husband wasn't too bad either, we got him some microfiber Adidas from sports authority, they came in packs of 3 and weren't cheap but he wasn't any more thrilled that I was about the idea of chafing- I just got him what my son has always been using in lacrosse. I ended up with a bunch of microfiber 'best fitting panties in the world' from Walmart because I knew I would go back to cotton when I get home., no need to waste $$$. the bras were the hardest thing because I'm a DD and anyone like me knows that either there is thick support which isn't heat friendly or things just droop, mot the look i am going for lol. I did stumble across a few websites that recommended different brands but most were too $$$ to just be a vacation thing. I did read some recommend Targets champion and while I did need to order it online 492140508230 I was very happy with what I got, it did not hurt my neck, did provide support, and most importantly I kept me cool and comfortable without being indecent- I usually like a little more "coverage" so I simply folded up 2 small toilet tissue squares and placed them strategically when I got dressed in the am. I also picked myself up 3 full outfits of microfiber sport Skorts and tanks-also from Target just for the trip while my husband picked out about 6 at other retailers.

Can I say that on numerous occasions during this trip we both found ourselves raving at how grateful we were to be in quick wicking microfiber because even though the sweat would gather it would disappear as quickly. My husband was very skeptical at my wanting to shop right before vacation but gave in due to previous memory and me voicing that its dopey to risk being miserable for a multi thousand dollar trip over $350 in stuff he'd use anyway. I am so glad I listenened to other people, it made such a huge difference in our comfort which meant we could tolerate the heat much longer and enjoy water rides without worrying about bunching up-didn't happen.

OH, and this is the second time I picked up the Monistat chafing gel- I just put in on the creases and spots that might rub every morning and was good to go for the day-I think I got the Monistat tip here so I'm paying it forward.

I also brought a spray can of Lotrimin (can says jock itch but its an antifungal that works on all heat rash stuff) and simply applied it to any red hotspots anywhere after showering at night, no heat rash for anyone this time. I think I learned about this on here too

Hope this helps anyone getting ready for some Florida funpixiedust:

We love microfiber! My boys both wore compression type underwear during our May trip and they paid off in spades! My youngest usually needs some type of anti-chaf product, but this trip he never complained. Most definitely worth the money.

Thanks for the tips!

I discovered Columbia brand moisture-wicking, quick-dry cargo shorts a couple of trips ago, and loved them, too. They're so much lighter-weight than the shorts I usually wear, and you can even wash them out in the sink at night (and they're dry by morning!). They're a nice length (a couple of inches above the knee) and have great pockets. Perfect WDW shorts!

The ones I bought are called "Sandy River Cargo Shorts."

I go to the izod, nike, and adidas stores at the local outlet malls and get a bunch of women's golf bottoms and some dri fit type t shirts for myself. Even helped with going to WDW in September. I was dry totally fast after it rained!

I like the golf stuff rather than the just gym type wear since it covers more with longer skirts and shorts.

Then I use these same clothes on weekends in the summer so I can chase my toddler on the playground and look relatively okay.

Granted, I'm not on the back 9 in my golf wear, but the stuff looks nice and is comfortable even after hours of sweating!

LuvOrlando- What was the actual brand of the microfiber undies that you got at Walmart? I went looking for them, but couldn't find them.
Thanks

The underwear seriously just say on a big tag "best fitting panties in the world".

I found them a couple weeks ago on a wall at a Walmart so you have to buy each separately. To say they were disorganized at this wallymart would be an understatement

I was at Walmart yesterday looking for the same thing- I found Fruit of the Loom brand 5 for $12 I think and another (Hanes?) 3 for $8

I just saw the post and popped in to respond but see you guys have it covered.

I just wore the get-ups again this past weekend at a really uncomfortably hot Lacrosse Tournament and walked away really happy I had this stuff already in my summer collection. The only thing I think amply busted ladies need to remember is that the heat and moisture really are not skin friendly so I would emphasize using the spray powder Lotrimin every morning and night after showering on red hot-spots, use that chafing stuff too under the bra and in creases. I did it in WDW and I did it here and my skin, while red at night was always good to go by morning. So happy and grateful to the people who posted this stuff elsewhere - I'm from PA and not a huge fan of the heat so I had zero first hand experience. Worth every dime I tell ya:wave2:

Anyone who is going to try this out please come back & share for the many people who will check this out in the future. Improvements to a good system are always welcome:thumbsup2

PS- ladies just be aware that you may need to- how shall I say this, bend down and 'shift' the girls back into place in the ladies room from time to time, there is no underwire and the support tends to pull everything into the middle as the hours slip by, my husband and daughter didn't say anything looked weird but when I looked down, lets just say things were taking on a singular shape after a while rotfl. Still, its a minor thing compared to the discomfort of a wet hot bra, did I mention how cotton clothing made me miserable a few years back - akkk, anything to avoid that

THANK YOU for this tip!!

I am considering a late-august trip and bc we are NOT summer people, I have been looking for tips on how to deal with the heat/humidity. My hubby and I already have some microfiber shorts and tops for camping. I don't know if I would have thought to bring it to Disney! I *never* thought about microfiber undergarments!!! Let me ask this... is microfiber just non-cotton fabric or is there something special about it? I usually look for shorts and tops that are made from anything other than cotton.

I have to start writing down these tips.....

Great tips! We are going July 31rst and would love to know where some other good places to shop might be? Would like to find some tees for the guys and some cute sport stuff for me:rotfl:!

My husband bought moisture wicking PGA shirts from JC Penney. They are Polo type and he found some there today for $15. We also use coupons at Sports Authority to buy some Nike Golf shirts and Under Armour shirts.

At Target today I looked in the clearance intimates area and found 2 packs of wick away hipsters and bikinis for $7. For 2 pairs of underwear I thought $7 wasn't bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter