Discouraged trying to buy DVC resale at AKL

NHTikiBeckie

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!

I am feeling like I could use some advice here...we have put in three different offers now for AKL for contracts with 100-110 points. Based on the ROFR thread, it seems as though people are able to get AK for low 60's commonly. I have offered $65/pt each time and have been shot down each time. What am I doing wrong? Just bad luck or others having good luck? Am I being unreasonable?

Thanks!

At the lower price points you are going to have to be more patient in getting what you want. The AKL is one of the newer resorts. Many people have financed their purchases. Those loans are 10 years and most people are probably still paying more interest than principal on those loans. When you are offering $65/point anyone who accepts your offer and still has a loan might need to come up with cash to make up the difference to pay off Disney. I imagine most people won't or can't do that.

Don't worry though. Just be patient and keep bidding. The right contract will come along.

Buying a resale contract is a numbers game. 100 people can reject you, but you only need one person to say yes. This is a buyers market and (unfortunately for them) there are people out there who MUST sell. You just need to find that person.

I'll say this...if you're anxious to own now and don't mind paying a little extra, then do so. But if you're patient, stick to your guns and keep trying to get a contract for what you wanted to pay. It will feel good in the end.

If $65 is your price point, how set on AKV are you? That seems more in the SSR range from when I was looking. I don't know what the price you should expect be, but the ROFR thread is only those sales that people on the boards here post. That is just a small snapshot of all the overall sales.

I can tell you that when searching with 3 different resale realtors trying to find our resale, they were pretty honest with me about what they were selling for. Not listed for, but selling for. They gave me a range of what they have seen as lowest to highest. That doesn't mean I didn't offer much lower to start, but it gave me realistic expectation of what it was going to cost to make a deal. Every seller has a reason for selling. Some are not "desperate" to sell in, and will not accept below a certain price. Others may need to sell quicker and will take an offer.

We came up against a seller who was not in a rush to sell, and would not budge below the price he gave me. I took it, as I wanted the contract with the banked points and that specific UY. I wasn't seeing this particular matchup come along, so I paid a couple dollars per point higher. In the end, it was only $625 higher total than what I had said was my highest I would go. If you are more flexible in UY and points, then wait it out till you get your price. Patience is your friend if you want your price. If not, you will pay someone else's price. My only suggestion is to find a price you are willing to pay, and try to work around that, and not try to pay the lowest you possibly can.

The other thing is that smaller contracts like the 100 pts you mention usually have less movement on price than larger ones. That was just my observation. 100 points are attractive to less frequent travelers like me, and to people looking to add on points. 200 point contracts are likely to get less people looking for them, so they get fewer offers. Just my 2 cents. (although my wife tells me that's overpriced :)

Hi everyone!

I am feeling like I could use some advice here...we have put in three different offers now for AKL for contracts with 100-110 points. Based on the ROFR thread, it seems as though people are able to get AK for low 60's commonly. I have offered $65/pt each time and have been shot down each time. What am I doing wrong? Just bad luck or others having good luck? Am I being unreasonable?

Thanks!

How are you getting "shot down"? Is DVC exercising ROFR or is the owner declining your low offer? Or are you too late in making an offer?

Hi Neighbor! Keep making offers and one will be accepted eventually. Hopefully you'll present an offer soon that will be accepted. :thumbsup2

How many brokers are you going through? I recently added on at BWV and was speaking with several brokers. In the end I bought resale through Fidelity. Although they're not always spoken of highly on the boards, I had a very good experience with Sharon. I told her exactly what I wanted (150 BWV Feb UY) and the price range I wanted based on the ROFR threads. And I got it on my second offer. It took a couple months for the right contract to come in since I wanted a specific UY, but it was well worth the wait! :banana:

At the lower price points you are going to have to be more patient in getting what you want. The AKL is one of the newer resorts. Many people have financed their purchases. Those loans are 10 years and most people are probably still paying more interest than principal on those loans. When you are offering $65/point anyone who accepts your offer and still has a loan might need to come up with cash to make up the difference to pay off Disney. I imagine most people won't or can't do that.

Don't worry though. Just be patient and keep bidding. The right contract will come along.

That's great to mention! We financed BLT in '09, and since our Grand Plans of paying it off last year didn't happen (it will! it will!) we're still on the basic payments. And we are just coming up on half interest half principle.

Such a good thing to mention to someone wanting to buy in for cheap; empathy with what the person might still owe is good!

I have just had my very first offer on AKL points accepted, and it passed ROFR this week. I spent weeks before I was ready to buy looking at the different sites, and picking up tips over various boards, and then saw the contract I wanted on Fidelitys website. In fact, I didn't even need to bargain very much, I only offered $2 lower than asked for, and got the contract for $63 per point. Just be ready to pounce would be my advice, and look every night for the right deal.
Good Luck!

The 100 point contracts I see on the thread all sold for 67.00 and up except 1 stripped contract. Keep offering is all you can do if that is your price point. Another thing you might want to consider is even to offer 70.00 pp which is only a 500.00 difference in price and you could ask sellers to pay closing which in essence would get you back into your ball park if sellers agree. Good luck!

There are two contracts on with fidelity at the moment for an asking price of $70 both 110 points- might be worth trying your arm with those if you haven't already?

There are two contracts on with fidelity at the moment for an asking price of $70 both 110 points- might be worth trying your arm with those if you haven't already?

WOW both of those contracts are nice! Points coming by the time they close (March) The 1 contract that comes with 170 points looks great - you could always rent out 70.00 points at 10.00 pp and recoup 700.00!

Hi everyone!

Thanks!

It took me 4 tries to get an owner who wanted to accept my price for BWV last summer. I realized that my $50/ppt offer was a little low so instead, I went to $55/ppt but asked the seller to cover all the MF's for 2011, even though I was getting all my 2011 points. It did the trick--and, because the MF's were more than the $5/ppt I went up, I actually did better than I had originally planned!

Just keep trying. As mentioned, you are offering on the lower end of the price scale so you have to give it time to find an owner who is in a position to accept that offer.

Hi everyone!

Thanks!

princess: We are looking to add-on with a smaller AKL contract & today Fidelity has a handful of AKL contracts in the $60-$65 range. Thought you might be interested in them! Good luck! We are awaiting ROFR & hope to close in March! :cheer2:

Talk to your sales rep. I was trying to buy a small contract, and have the buyer pay for the closing. Rachel at Fidelity told me to restructure the offer and lower my price per point and pay the closing myself. It ended up being about 25 dollars more than my original offer, and the buyers accepted it. The accepted it, because they had to pay less to Fidelity because of the commission. Sellers don't have to pay commission on the closing costs, but do on the price per point.

What ever makes the sale

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter