Discounts

LONES

Mouseketeer
Right about the time I finally feel like I'm totally in the know about WDW, we may be throwing a cruise into the mix. I've never cruised on any cruise line before, so everything is new to me.

We'd specifically be looking at an Alaskan cruise. Are there ever discounts offered for DCL? I know I've heard of things like "kids sail free", but have never really paid attention before. Do the special offers ever include Alaskan cruises?

Also, are there "seasons" with the cruises, like there are with the WDW resorts, such as "peak" with the highest prices and "value" with the lowest?

And finally, how do you find out about discounts? I know for WDW there are entire threads and sections involved in specifically looking out for discounts. I don't see anything similar for the cruises. Am I just not looking in the right places?

TIA for any info you can share!

Yes, there were Kids Sail Free specials offered for Alaska cruises. These were the May cruises when many kids were still in school.

There are seasons for cruises, but less so for Alaska--you can't cruise there in the winter, which is typically the off season. The easiest way to define seasons is that if most kids on a traditional system are out of school, that is peak. Early fall, first 2 weeks of December, January and early Feb. all are "off season" with lower fares.

A good travel agent will keep track and notify you of any discounts. Cruises that don't sell well are often discounted beginning about 75 days before the cruise. The DCL web site has a tab for "specials" that list SOME of their discounts. The big specials/discounts are discussed almost the minute they ar released--these boards sometimes seem to know more of what's happening than the DCL CMs do!

Right about the time I finally feel like I'm totally in the know about WDW, we may be throwing a cruise into the mix. I've never cruised on any cruise line before, so everything is new to me.

We'd specifically be looking at an Alaskan cruise. Are there ever discounts offered for DCL? I know I've heard of things like "kids sail free", but have never really paid attention before. Do the special offers ever include Alaskan cruises?

Also, are there "seasons" with the cruises, like there are with the WDW resorts, such as "peak" with the highest prices and "value" with the lowest?

And finally, how do you find out about discounts? I know for WDW there are entire threads and sections involved in specifically looking out for discounts. I don't see anything similar for the cruises. Am I just not looking in the right places?

TIA for any info you can share!

To keep track of current discounts.....other than reading this board which is one of your best sources!!....you can click the the word "discount" in the red bar at the top of the forum. That will lead you to the current list of discounts on DCL.

Best advice for a new DCL cruiser is to read every thread...after speding some time on this forum you will begin to learn all the ins and outs...it can be overwhelming so take your time. You will learn lots from all the great people on this board. You came to the right place.

Feel free to ask any questions...we have heard them all and don't mind giving answers!!!

MJ

My January 2013 cruise is paid in full - if a discount comes out before I sail would I be able to obtain the lower rate?

My January 2013 cruise is paid in full - if a discount comes out before I sail would I be able to obtain the lower rate?

Generally, the discounted fares are on "new bookings only". After the paid in full date, you would have to cancel your current booking (with pentalties) and rebook the new fare. You'd have to figure out if you'll still be saving money that way, or not.

:cutie:

Opening dates have the lowest rates available, specially for peak sailings.

But there are last minute *GT rates. These show for sailings that are not selling well, usually within 75 days prior to sailing. These are restricted rates and non refundable. These rates are as good as or even better than opening day rates.

There are also discounts available (in the form of cash card back) for booking through Costco, if you are a member.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter