Discounts on Alaska?

Late 2008 and 2009 had some BIG cruise discounts - especially in Alaska. I hadn't planned on going then, but Princess's prices were too good to pass up. I don't expect Alaska prices to be that low in 2011 - especially on my ship (Amsterdam) - as it's the only one doing a 14-night itinerary: http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-...tionCode=&portCode=&dateCode=&shipCodeSearch=

I've been checking prices for my HAL cruise almost daily. So far the only price drop has been for the 3rd passenger in the cabin - which went from $1149 (plus taxes) when I booked it in April, to $49 a few months ago! That really helped to lower the average per-person cost. I sure hope the 3rd person in our cabin doesn't change her mind!

This itinerary doesn't go to Glacier Bay? Am I missing something? It does look great though!

This itinerary doesn't go to Glacier Bay? Am I missing something? It does look great though!

Nope - it goes to Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm. It had almost the same itinerary in 2010, but HAL was later able to get more Glacier Bay permits, and most cruises went to Glacier Bay instead of Tracy Arm. It would be great if that happened again in 2011 - but I won't count on it. I have been to all 3 glacier areas.

Nope - it goes to Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm. It had almost the same itinerary in 2010, but HAL was later able to get more Glacier Bay permits, and most cruises went to Glacier Bay instead of Tracy Arm. It would be great if that happened again in 2011 - but I won't count on it. I have been to all 3 glacier areas.

Glacier Bay is the main reason that I hesitate to book the Alaska cruise on DCL. That and the departure from Vancouver. I would save significantly if I sailed from Seattle. I know you can do a shuttle from SEA to Vancouver but that seems like such a hassle with luggage and all. I guess I need to do some more research.

Random tidbit, for American Airlines the cost of a ticket to Vancouver using miles is the same as anywhere else in North America at 25k miles a piece. Given the cost of the international fare otherwise (up to $1k+ from some cities) this quite an excellent bang for the buck. Granted you have to have the miles. :)

Glacier Bay is the main reason that I hesitate to book the Alaska cruise on DCL. That and the departure from Vancouver. I would save significantly if I sailed from Seattle. I know you can do a shuttle from SEA to Vancouver but that seems like such a hassle with luggage and all. I guess I need to do some more research.

Either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier would give DCL a better itinerary - but Glacier Bay is the gem.

If you fly to Seattle and transfer to Vancouver, you'll want to arrive in Seattle the day before the cruise and probably fly home one day after the cruise...unless you don't mind red-eye flights.

Random tidbit, for American Airlines the cost of a ticket to Vancouver using miles is the same as anywhere else in North America at 25k miles a piece. Given the cost of the international fare otherwise (up to $1k+ from some cities) this quite an excellent bang for the buck. Granted you have to have the miles. :)

Even better is that on American you can book a one-way flight using half the miles. That's especially good for Transatlantic cruises, or where one way is significantly more expensive than the other direction. It's also great for flights to or from Anchorage for one-way Alaska cruises.

Delta also has the same deal as American - 25,000 miles for a round trip ticket to and from Vancouver. We booked our trip this way and loved how much money it saved us.

United also has 25,000 miles and you can book with cash and fewer miles as well. They also do one way for 12,500 miles. I has to book seven tickets with our miles so to insure we got them. I booked one way for all seven and then when the return date opened up, I booked the return flight for all seven. Saved us a lot of money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter