• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Discounts for extended stay ??

mymankeith

Mouseketeer
I have a question, and its more of a "Thinking Out Loud" question, LOL, but if you wanted to stay like, 3 months at Fort Wilderness campground, do they offer any type of discount for longer stays?? I live in Missouri, and my husband and I were talking about when we retire, we would love to stay at the Fort with our camper during winter time, but to stay for 3 months, at an average of $75 a night for full hook up, that would be amost $7000!!! LOL. Just wondering. Thanks.

There are a few group who get a small discount. AAA is about the same as group rates. It's a little over 10K for the winter months.

There are a few group who get a small discount. AAA is about the same as group rates. It's a little over 10K for the winter months.

We've heard as of now AAA & WDW haven't come to an agreement for 2014 so no AAA discounts. :sad1:

We've heard as of now AAA & WDW haven't come to an agreement for 2014 so no AAA discounts. :sad1:

To clarify, some folks had previously obtained AAA discounts for 2014 but since the news of the "no agreement" I've not heard of anyone getting an AAA discount. Hopefully they will honor the ones they've already made.

mymankeith, if anything it sounds like the Fort is trying to discourage long term stays. Those folks generally don't buy park tickets (may have annual passes though), don't souvenir shop that much, don't eat in the Disney restaurants that much. There was a discount for long term stays that was discontinued about 10 years ago.

If you're hoping to get close to a $75 per night average over a 3 month period in a Full, it ain't happening. I did some checking for comparison purposes and for a 28 day period in a Full:

- in Jan 2014 the average rate is $69 + tax
- in Feb 2014 the average rate is $95 + tax
- in Mar 2014 the average rate is $117 + tax
- in Nov 2014 the average rate is $93 + tax (for a Premium, Full shown as unavailable)
- in Dec 2014 the average rate is $107 + tax

It sounds like the WDW management is trying to use fewer discounts and all the while keep raising rates. Something may have to give soon. Sound like the Fort didn't fill up until the weekend before Christmas this year. But they had jacked up the rates 7 days before THAT (expecting to fill up then?).

To be fair, it's hard for them to know what the expected occupancy rate is since they have their reservation issues with travel agencies and phantom campers. Best thing for us to do is win the lottery, right? :woohoo:

Bama Ed

Amen to all of the above. We will be in on Jan. 8th for a 3 week stay which is great for us but does NOT include any kind of discount. We've talked to people who come each year and spend several weeks - months -and pay the daily rate for each and every day and as we know that rate varies wildly from holiday to holiday, month to month and day of the week. If you're looking for a reasonable FL destination for the winter, the Fort ain't it ! I'm sure that Ed is correct (need I say , as usual, ) when he says that long term campers don't provide the revenue that shorter term vacationers do. All that being said, we would hate to miss spending some time each year at the Fort.

Don't expect to see long term discount rates. Some of the cheaper long term campers who don't eat or shop at Disney (shopping at Walmart, off property dining) in other words using the fort as a trailor park instead of resort translates into higher prices. Disney doesn't want to run a trailor park, they want to run a resort. Place is loaded down with pricey rvs w owners who can and will pay.

Thanks for all the reply's. It does make since that Disney would want you to spend money in the parks and on food, which we would, but i'm sure not to the extent that they would want, and on a daily basis. We just loved the whole idea that the Fort has the pool and the restaurants, and activities, and we could use Disney transportation to other Disney restaurants if we stayed there. Thanks again for all the reply's!!!!

We're full-time RV-ers who before retirement spent a week at the Fort every year. Now that we're in FL 4 months a year we would have loved it if the Ft had some kind of long-term discounts. Our solution is that we stay 20 minutes away for the Winter.

Besides our AP's (not FL resident) we go to the parks a few times a week and still spend money in Disney restaurants and shops. What's ironic is that we've found that by the time we would take FW internal transport to the boat or bus, we can actually get to the parks quicker now in our car than when we stayed at the Fort!

We do miss staying there, but still get our FW fixes by occasional meals at Trails End. :)

Best thing for us to do is win the lottery, right? :woohoo: Bama Ed
if we did win, one thing I'd start planning is one heck of a hoe-down party with/for my fellow DIS campers....that would be a memory maker!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter