• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Discount Textbooks?

PrincessPatty

Love ya Black and Gold!! Go Steelers!!<br><font c
I am starting back to school this month and I have to take Anatomy and Physiology with a lab and a Human Growth and Development class, Im looking at not spending over 300$ on these books (that is what the bookstore wants to charge!)

Any reccomendations on websites you have used?

Amazon.com or half.com have some great deals on text books, just be very careful to get the right edition, I have almost bought the wrong edition in the past!

I am starting back to school this month and I have to take Anatomy and Physiology with a lab and a Human Growth and Development class, Im looking at not spending over 300$ on these books (that is what the bookstore wants to charge!)

Any reccomendations on websites you have used?

www.alibris.com
www.DirectTextbook.com
www.barnesandnoble.com/textbooks/index.asp

And Amazon Marketplace.

Get the ISBN number of the book and put in the search feature on directtextbook.com. That's how I found the lowest prices on several of my son's textbooks for next semester. I got two books for one of his classes for a total of $50, when the bookstore wanted $125. I got his calculus book on barnesandnoble.com for $86 new when the bookstore wanted $154. Same book, sold by the same company (school bookstore is a Barnes and Noble too).

Good luck.....several of the books we have to buy from the bookstore as they are professor written....grrrr

I have had good luck renting my books from Chegg.com. It is best if you have the ISBN number but you can search by the author,etc. The cost to rent is about 1/3 of the cost to buy. I am also a "late bloomer" as far as school goes but it does feel good as you work forward to your degree. Good luck to you.

Now a bit of a vent...I believe the cost of text books and how they are constantly changing editions is an absolute travesty.

I usually went with Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble.com for my books. Like the PP mentioned, make sure that you get the right edition (unless the instructor ok's a past edition). Hopefully you can get soem good dealsas many of the newer editions come out in time for the fall semesters.

Regarding a PP and instructor written texts...that always chapped our hides! Our school proposed passing a rule last year to not allow it as it usually was only to boost their sales and not taught out of <grrrrrrr>.

textbooks.com is a good place. I've always managed to find my books cheaper there. Never, ever, ever buy your books directly from the college bookstore. You can always find it cheaper somewhere online.

textbooks.com is a good place. I've always managed to find my books cheaper there. Never, ever, ever buy your books directly from the college bookstore. You can always find it cheaper somewhere online.

Unless of course your professor wrote the book.....and then you are hosed....

There is also textbookx.com. Good service and almost always cheaper than anywhere else.

A lot of students at my school sell their used textbooks on Craigslist for pretty good deals. My APHY textbook and lab book were over $300 from the bookstore and I bought them from a student selling used for $30.

half.com I sold my used books there when I was in school. Now I buy DH's textbooks there cheap.

I bought all of my textbooks through half.com. It saved me SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much money. And if you sign up for ebates.com, you can get cash back on your bpurchases through half.com! PM me with your email if you need a referral (you get a sign-up bonus with a referral)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter