• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Discount for Placeholder

What is the silliness of a placeholder? If Disney can't get their act together and get their itineraries out in a reasonable amount of time then some people have no choice to use a placeholder, which actually takes up almost no time since you fill out a card at your convenience and leave it in the box at the future cruise desk.
I'll be booking a place holder next week. I've never had anything "get lost". You will get a confirmation number just like when you book a cruise. Just check your email or the DCL website before you leave the ship.

What is the silliness of a placeholder? If Disney can't get their act together and get their itineraries out in a reasonable amount of time then some people have no choice to use a placeholder, which actually takes up almost no time since you fill out a card at your convenience and leave it in the box at the future cruise desk.
Concierge can book placeholders as well.

I'll be booking a place holder next week. I've never had anything "get lost". You will get a confirmation number just like when you book a cruise. Just check your email or the DCL website before you leave the ship.

My placeholder was lost previously, but I did get it eventually.

We had filled out the cards on the Wonder and handed them to the CM because the line was always long when we tried to book. Weeks later and no confirmation. Our TA called Disney and they couldn't find it. They told me to email their guest services people. Before I got a response to my email, I randomly got a call from DCL. Apparently there were so many OBB forms from my Wonder cruise that they couldn't complete them onboard and sent them to shoreside to finish. This was almost 4 weeks after we got home. My TA said she'd never heard of this happening before.

It all turned out fine in the end, but it was stressful thinking that my placeholder was lost. From now on I will get a confirmation number on board.

and if we do choose a date, we can change the date while retaining the 10% discount?
have you ever put down a placeholder for another family? our friends want to go but not sure if we can put their names without ours.
sorry for all the questions!
Yes, you can change the date and retain your onboard booking benefits, as long as the cruise you wind up taking is still within the 24 month window.

You can't put a placeholder for someone not on the cruise, UNLESS you also put a placeholder down for you. And at least one person on the current cruise (that's making the placeholder reservations) must remain on the booking for both rooms to get the benefits. Once you select a future cruise date, both rooms must be on that same future cruise.

I love placeholders! :) They are awesome and allow me to take advantage of the 10% discount and OBC for a cruise that I can select at a future date within 24 months from time of booking onboard.

I currently have 2 placeholders that I can use by Early 2019. When we sail again in September though I will most likely book an actual date as we go every September and coordinate with friends who also sail during that time. If by chance I use one of my placeholders between now and September, (which is entirely possible) I am sure as heck going to replace it with another one.

I actually don't mind waiting for an onboard booking agent to talk to and speak with personally. I always go within the first day or two before the craziness ensues at the booking desks. I have filled out the booking card before and left it with no trouble at all.

Are the placeholder forms in duplicate form? That would solve a lot if they were numbered (and you had a the duplicate, just in case the original did get misplaced).

When I did my booking, the CM never even let me know that that the placeholder was an option and I made it clear I had no idea what cruise I wanted to book, only that I wanted to book something in the future that was at least 7-days. He told me I could book something and then transfer the cruise to a different one if decided I didn't want the one I booked (true, but would've saved me a little $ upfront).

I didn't get a copy. Yes, that would have been nice. If I'd been thinking, I would have just taken a photo of the form. I didn't and stressed and lamented here until I was able to see the placeholder on my account.

All you have to is ask for a receipt or confirmation. I would never give somebody money and not get a receipt for my purchase. If you do that then you really have only yourself to blame if your reservation doesn't go through before you leave the ship.

So, a few of the cruises are blacked out from the 10% discount, but you can book a placeholder and then apply against one of those cruises at a later point?

We were planning on putting a placeholder down for a European cruise in summer of 2019, but may reconsider if we don't get the 10%.

So, a few of the cruises are blacked out from the 10% discount, but you can book a placeholder and then apply against one of those cruises at a later point?

We were planning on putting a placeholder down for a European cruise in summer of 2019, but may reconsider if we don't get the 10%.
You can not get the 10% discount on a blackout cruise.

The placeholder is crucial for us because we can only cruise every other year so itineraries won't be out yet.

If I book a Placeholder cruise while on board say May 17th 2017 do I have to a sail by date of May 17th 2019 or just a cruise booked and PIF by May 17 2019? I have two cruised booked for 2018 but the earliest I can take my DD's on a cruise in 2019 would be probably after May 17th as one or both may not be done with their college semester by then.

If I book a Placeholder cruise while on board say May 17th 2017 do I have to a sail by date of May 17th 2019 or just a cruise booked and PIF by May 17 2019? I have two cruised booked for 2018 but the earliest I can take my DD's on a cruise in 2019 would be probably after May 17th as one or both may not be done with their college semester by then.

You must embark no more than 24 months from the date you book the placeholder or you lose all benefits. So you could book on board on one of the 2018 cruises - possibly even just book the cruise rather than mess with a placeholder in that case.

But if you book the placeholder May 17, 2017 you would have to embark on a cruise by May 17, 2019 in order for it to retain the benefits.

You must embark no more than 24 months from the date you book the placeholder or you lose all benefits. So you could book on board on one of the 2018 cruises - possibly even just book the cruise rather than mess with a placeholder in that case.

But if you book the placeholder May 17, 2017 you would have to embark on a cruise by May 17, 2019 in order for it to retain the benefits.

That's what I thought! I really should just book a short little cruise out of NYC in the fall.

Two questions:

1) A few years ago, we booked onboard and later upgraded our reservation to Concierge. That change meant that we were no longer eligible for the 10% OBB discount. Is this still the case?

2) I can't remember...can the $250 deposit be charged to our room or do I need to bring a credit card with me to the OBB desk?

Thanks for your help!

As far as blackout cruise dates--it mostly seems to be around holidays (Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years) and 2 night cruises. I don't believe they had any European cruises blacked out for 2018. Also, you can get the $250 placeholder deposit back if you don't book a cruise within 24 mths.

Two questions:

1) A few years ago, we booked onboard and later upgraded our reservation to Concierge. That change meant that we were no longer eligible for the 10% OBB discount. Is this still the case?

2) I can't remember...can the $250 deposit be charged to our room or do I need to bring a credit card with me to the OBB desk?

Thanks for your help!
1. Yes it is still the case
2. They will use the card that you have on file but it will be a separate charge - not placed on your onboard account

When we did our placehoolder on the Thursday (day 5) of our cruise, I asked about that. She said she could delay putting it through until the last day of our cruise, giving us, in essence, 2 extra days of leeway. So maybe try to get the furthest possible date for your placeholder in this way. Would a couple of extra days matter to you? Then again, if you are able to take another cruise in between, well, that's always a bonus, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter