Discount airline from PA

xraydave

Geocachers: WeR4Disney
Now that Transmeridian airline has gone bankrupt, I was desperatley looking for another airline to fly from PA to Orlando. I just got word that Allegiant Airlines is starting non-stop service from Allentown to Orlando Sanford with rates as low as $59 each way. ( www.allegiantair.com ) I had to book our flights for our March trip. My brother lives near Sanford airport and can transport us to and from Disney. Otherwise we'd have to arrange shuttle service. Worth looking into if you need a cheap flight. :earboy2:

Hooters Air will be starting service the Orlando on Oct. 27 from WB/Scr with rates starting at $79.

Please explain the "Ding". I couldn't find any cheaper than $120 RT. I hope I didn't goof.

Hooters Air is flying from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to Orlando International w/ rates starting at $79 one way. They start on Thursday (I will be flying on the 1st flight out of Scranton) and they are flying on Thursdays and Sundays? Plus w/ Hooters, you can get ME rather than rely on someone to pick you up. Try www.hootersair.com.

I agree, Southwest and Airtran have great rates. I get a little crazy when it's time to plan and niether of those airlines have posted rates for my March trip yet.

I don't mind having my brother pick us up. It gives us a little time to see him as well.

Thanks for the posts, keep them coming.

$59 each way is a great price. I prefer the quiet of the Allentown & Sanford Airports rather than Phila & MCO. We're going the first week of March. I'll be booking these today. Thanks for the info!!!

:earsboy:

It's about time. :cheer2: It has always been so expensive to fly out of that airport.

Let's see how long this one lasts....I got burned on Vacation Express out of AVP....about 2 weeks before we were to leave for our cruise they called me and said....we're going out of business and you must find alternate airfare....ended up flying Southeast out of Allentown.....about one month after we flew them (and they were excellent), they shut down operations....gee...maybe I should stay away from Hooters!!

Where is everyone from in NE PA? I am actually only one exit from Avoca!!

Ahhh! True and true about Vacation Express and Southeast. Hopefully, Hooters will fare better. Here's hoping. :teeth:

By the way, I'm from Carbondale, not very far from you @ all.

We're going for Halloween and we got Airtran for $49.00 each way. That's about the best I've found.

Sarah'sMomfrom PA said:

I live in Avoca, I would love to use the airport next time I fly, since it is in my backyard, but sometimes its worth the drive to Philly or Allentown

How stable is Allegiant Air--anyone know? I was very close to booking a flight on Transmeridian for Easter week as all the other airlines are $$$$$$ and Southwest hasn't posted yet. I had just confirmed that my DF could pick us up at Sanford (even easier, he said) and was about to bite the bullet--low and behold, Transmeridian closed up shop.

Anyone have any idea if it's risky to book on Allegiant for April???

Actually live in Moosic but work in Scranton! Let's hope that Hooters Air holds up because it is so much easier to fly from Avoca....with the price of gas, tolls and time involved, I always hesitate to fly from Phila. but many many times have flown from Allentown since that is a really nice airport....amazed at all of the improvements that they made to Avoca but the only problem is that no one good flys out of there and the prices are usually through the roof.

Sarah'sMomfrom PA said:

I'm near the back mtn...exit 6 off of the cross valley. We have a trip to WDW planned for June 29-July 7th. I've also been checking on airfare rates pretty regularly. I like that with Hooters I can fly out of AVP directly, but I can get the flight out on that Thursday...however my return flight is on a Friday. Hooters only flies in/out of AVP THurs & Sun. THey also fly in/out of ABE Wed & Sat. I have discussed (with the other family we are travelling with) to possibly add on 2 more nights to our trip if Disney comes out with a good discount and then fly back with Hooters into AVP that Sunday the 9th instead. Otherwise I'm hoping for a good DING rate.

I have rates from US Air that I printed up before the hurricanes that were for round trip out of AVP for $250 and $200 ouf ot PHL for my dates. THe prices are still around there, but did go up a tad.

What other options are there for flying to MCO? I really want to take advantage of ME. DH is soooooo hoping we fly Hooters...just to say he flew on Hooters Air, lol....must be a guy thing I guess, lol. "But honey, they have Hooters Girls on each flight!!!!" :rolleyes: spare me, lol. :rotfl2:

I have a question for those of you that fly out of PHL that are from nepa.....do you
1) drive your own car down there, park it there until you get home
2) have family drive you and pick you up afterwards
3) rent a car here, drop it off there and then rent another to drive back home
4) drive or rent a car the night before, stay in a hotel there and get an early flight out

If you rent a car how much is it to rent? If you drive your car...how much is it to park? And if you stay overnight how much do you usually pay? (my mom recently did this when she flew to vegas...I thought it was kind of neat to start your vacation the night before and get a head start on vacation with the early morning flight)

Also, I've never heard of Air Tran...are they good???

Jennifer. :sunny:

deadhedjen said:
I have a question for those of you that fly out of PHL that are from nepa.....do you
1) drive your own car down there, park it there until you get home
2) have family drive you and pick you up afterwards
3) rent a car here, drop it off there and then rent another to drive back home
4) drive or rent a car the night before, stay in a hotel there and get an early flight out

Jennifer. :sunny:

We have done both #1 & #4 several times. If we fly after noon, we will drive down and use a "Park and Fly"--We use one in Essington. That is nice. You park and a shuttle follows you to your car and the driver loads your bags. He then takes you right to your airline.

If it is a morning flight, we stay at a hotel that has free parking and a free shuttle ride to the airport. You can pick up coupons at PA rest stops (we always get a booklet on our way out to Happy Valley :teeth: ) and hold on to it for the next time we need to fly out of Philly. Under $100 for Ramada, etc.

Hope this helps.......

I used to love flying Southwest ABE to Sanford - did this four or five times. They are both great, small very kid-friendly places. I live in the Lake Ariel area, so I am closer to Avoca (AVP), but I can never find a "great" deal flying into or out of that airport. I started flying with my kiddos when they were 5, 7 and 8 - so I needed non-stop flights as well - and they are scarce from Avoca.

We have taken to flying out of Philadelphia on Airtran or Southwest. We have Southwest booked leaving Thanksgiving day for $38 per person each way. We are a family of five, and like to travel to WDW two or three times a year - so I need great rates to swing our trips.

We generally stay over the night before leaving from Philadelphia. We have done a park-sleep-and fly and used the hotel shuttle (Embassy Suites near PHL offers this service, and is a nice hotel), which worked out well - and we have also used the Airport economy parking ($8) when our hotel did not offer extended stay parking. I am not a fan of economy parking. I found the shuttles extremely slow... and I have had reports from friends of this lot being full - and being turned away to more expensive on aiport parking. This trip we are going to try a privately owned lot w/ shuttle that my sister has used with success (our flight leaves late afternoon).

Renting a car to/from Philly might actually be cheaper than parker if you have a longer stay.. I have never tried this..

Anyway you get to Disney is a great way! Have a good trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter