Disconnect and the Disney Parade

LOL as I said, I enjoyed the parade, and absolutely hated the Celine Dion performance. Now I loved the choir, but just wish she didnt have to sing with them. To each their own. I REALLY dont know what people want, it appeared to be pretty much the same as is has been the last 3 or 4 years that I've REALLY watched it. :confused3 I mean, it's like watching the macy's t-day parade. There are bunches of bands and balloons every year, same thing, but people still think it's great? The Disney parade has all the standards, ie: princesses, couple of bands, couple of dance troupes, mickey, minnie, donand, daisy, goofy pluto etc etc.. Plus the 'hot' Disney acts, plus a few new things (this year princess tiana, phineas and ferb etc etc.

I mean, what do you WANT them to do? Plus, as stated rain messed with it pretty bad too, so they couldnt do everything as they wanted anyway.

Not really a complaint, but Kelly may want to have her teeth checked out, on high def, it almost looks like she has something going on there.

Yes I thought it was a long Disney commerical. As for the parade just run the MCP prade, but again you have to be there to enjoy the magic of this prade. It was neat showing the clip of Toy Story 3!!! and the World of Color upcomming to DL. Speaking of that I had no idea all of the goodies DCA is getting over the next 3 years, looks like a DS on steroids World of Color, Voyage of the little mermaid, and the 200 million dollar Cars attraction.

Plus they high lighted TSM in there commericals for DL, WDW.

Just one freakin long commercial for the give a day, get a day promotion with a bit of parade and a few musical numbers thrown in.
My thoughts EXACTLY! I told my wife if they do another Give A Day Get A Day commercial I'm going to take a hostage! Sheeesh!

I don't see it as complaining as much as making note of the fact that the "new" Disney is really beginning to get annoying on many levels. All of us spend a large amount of money visiting WDW, buying Disney products and watching Disney TV and movies.

I think its just a situation of Disney seems to be really going in a direction many of us are not pleased with. I am concerned now that Roy Disney has passed, that this might become the Disney of the future. :sad2:

I don't mind change as long as it holds true to the vision that Walt Disney had. I think the new Fantasyland would be something that Walt would be pleased with, some of this other such as the parade, not so sure about.

While we enjoyed most of the parade, what got to me was the Give a Day families that they highlighted, went to every park, and stayed at the Deluxe of the Deluxe resorts. While I do understand they wanted to show each individual park, I could see people getting the impression that they could go to all the parks if they volunteer one day, and that the resort they stay in may be either included, or at least that all Disney resorts come with free gifts...

While we enjoyed most of the parade, what got to me was the Give a Day families that they highlighted, went to every park, and stayed at the Deluxe of the Deluxe resorts. While I do understand they wanted to show each individual park, I could see people getting the impression that they could go to all the parks if they volunteer one day, and that the resort they stay in may be either included, or at least that all Disney resorts come with free gifts...

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're probably right. I think a lot of people will do the Give A Day, Get A Day thing just to get the free ticket. Not will bad or selfish motives or anything, but I can see a lot of families who are short on cash doing a volunteer day to get their tickets. Nothing wrong with that at all, but it's not likely that those same families will be staying on-site in the Bay Lake Tower grand villa!

...I thought the dark-haired young woman singing looked almost like DISer AngieBelle. Since Angie sings, I was thinking some folks here might have thought it was her!

Just in case you're going by her signature picture, she has this under it:

"The picture in this signature is not me. She is Broadway actress, Susan Egan!"

I don't see it as complaining as much as making note of the fact that the "new" Disney is really beginning to get annoying on many levels. All of us spend a large amount of money visiting WDW, buying Disney products and watching Disney TV and movies.

I think its just a situation of Disney seems to be really going in a direction many of us are not pleased with. I am concerned now that Roy Disney has passed, that this might become the Disney of the future. :sad2:

I don't mind change as long as it holds true to the vision that Walt Disney had. I think the new Fantasyland would be something that Walt would be pleased with, some of this other such as the parade, not so sure about.

I feel the same way, we have two trip planned for next year, one in 5 weeks. I want Disney to know what I like so I can keep planning more trips!

I am concerned about the direction more than ever with Roy's passing.

I too am excited about the new plans!

:goodvibes

DH thought the very same thing!

:goodvibes

I watched the Canadian version so I presume some things were left out.

I personally enjoyed the parade though it was nice to see some familiar sights.

I only got to see the first 30 minutes before heading to my in-law's house, but I did notice that the Imagination Movers pieces looked just like last years to me. Otherwise, it was nice to point out all of the characters to DD and show her where we'll be in June.

Don't look at this as complaining. Look at it as public creative criticism. I don't usually watch ('cause I haven't really woken up in time the last couple of years... haha)

- Get rid of all the awful lipsyncing. If you can't get an artist to really sing their songs, get someone else. Even if it does look prettier, it's kinda like people are being gipped.

- Get hosts that don't sound like they're reading right off the paper. Kelly Ripa and Nick Cannon? Really? Samantha Brown was the only person that seemed natural and not like a robot. (No offense, Wall-E.)

- There's such a massive amount of Disney property in the world. So many beautiful things to show. If it's not live anyway, why waste all that space and all those Christmas decorations! Use every bit of it! I think the best bit was the Princess and the Frog "Down in New Orleans" segment. It fit, it promoted the new movie, it looked nice and they got to show off a beautiful part of the parks.

well, have to say it might make a difference if you go to Disney a lot or not, and if you even know that it's taped...Talked to my sister last night (Christmas) She's in her early 50's and has not been to the Magic Kingdom for years & years. She thought (1)the parade was live from Orlando as she watched, and (2) was wonderful. She was very, very surprised to learn it was filmed a few weeks ago, and was filmed over a couple of days, with stage acts, etc. She just thought a few parts of it looked maybe pre-recorded but that most of it was Live just like Macy's parade on Thanksgiving.

So maybe it's just a let-down for those of us who have seen many of the live parades, and have been to WDW recently?

And as far as the lip-synching...not sure there really is a whole lot of that at the live taping. Have talked to people who have been there for the live acts during the filming and they all expressed great pleasure at being able to see these performers live: don't recall any mention of appearance of lip-synch performances - instead it was "much fun" to get to see their favorite songs performed live. Wonder if maybe the editting/mixing process produced this appearance of lip synching?

- Get hosts that don't sound like they're reading right off the paper. Kelly Ripa and Nick Cannon? Really? Samantha Brown was the only person that seemed natural and not like a robot. (No offense, Wall-E.)

Right, in hollywood speak, Kelly "phoned in" her performance.

Samantha Brown should host the whole thing, she loves Disney and she's a natural.

Just one freakin long commercial for the give a day, get a day promotion with a bit of parade and a few musical numbers thrown in.

ITA with this and what the OP said. Not enjoyable to watch at all. Infact, I recorded it and fast forwarded through most of it.

i really have to agree with the OP - this year's parade was not up to par.

it would have been really nice if they somehow gave the audience a lead in as to how Nick Cannon qualifies as a stand in for Regis???

also - when did this become the "Disney Parks" parade? is this the first year for that or have i just been oblivious to that in the past few years?

Man...have to agree. I couldn't believe all the promos going on..it was almost a 2 hr long promo with some parade and acts thrown in here and there.

I totally agree with this. Why do people feel the need to nitpick over every little thing? I love Disney World and was at my in-laws house for Christmas. My 75 year old mother-in-law was postively giddy when "our parade" came on. I was able to share with her all the different things that were going on and explain to my 80 year old father-in-law how the rains forced the parade taping to be postponed and how some things had to be moved inside to the Grand Floridian. Both of them were so impressed by how Disney handled everything and still produced in their opinion, a top notch parade. And they LOVE parades.

I did not watch the Disney parade to find fault with it. I watched it with people I love and who love me and found it the perfect way to spend two hours on Christmas morning.
It's really not about nit-picking. It's about some who have come to expect a certain degree of entertainment and quality from Disney. And, to them, it has gone down hill. Many here do not have the same longtime experiences that others do, so they don't see anything 'wrong'. We keep hearing some people complaining because others are complaining about lack of decor at the parks or CM attitudes being lacking. But, those posters go on to say that they have only been to WDW once or not at all. Those people that have been 'doing' this for 10+ years are, in fact, seeing changes. And I think they are within their rights to talk about it..here, on a discussion board.

I've been to two holiday parade tapings to date. They were enjoyable to a point. Other than the huge amount of standing around, it was fun to see some of these performers live.
I will say that the shots of Kelly (and Regis as well in the past), that make it look like the Castle is right in back of her are somewhat weird. It's a depth perception issue. It just doesn't look right, especially to those of us who spend a lot of time in the parks. Not sure why they do that.

I don't know. I think the Christmas Parade has run it's course. It has turned into a huge promotion for Disney...from movies to it's resorts to the parks. No one loves Disney more than I do, but there are just some things going on now that leave a bad taste in my mouth. I don't enjoy being hit over the head with their newest promos.
But, to each his own I guess.

I wonder if they did re-use the Imagination Movers performance from last year because they shot it in the exact same place and sung the exact same song. I don't think that I have seen the same performer sing the same song for two christmas parades in a row?

They should start doing it live again. Back when Joan Lunden hosted the parade it was done live with only parts pre-recorded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter