Disboutiquers Part 30 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

I am amazed at everyone's things. I wish I could sew. All I can really sew is a button and I sew my bows that I make. I don't know if it's appropriate to share pics of them on here, but I am absolutely in awe of everyone's work. :)

Finally made my first feliz dress.

Question -- for the elastic on the side, how do you secure it into the side without having it show through the front/side seam ? I don't know that I did that part right. I do know that I did it wrong more than once and had to rip out and restitch it in and had to rip it out again because messed something else up.

Gorgeous! I never bother with the side elastic. :confused3

It is probably the patchwork twirl skirt by the Scientific Seamstress. You can order it via her etsy site and You Can Make This dot com

Thanks. I have two similar from Ottobre. I've been picking up fabrics this week to make it. Such a great inspiration!

darnheather said:
What pattern is this skirt? It reminds me of the Sudoku but I'm not sure. Adorable!

I didn't use a pattern. It is just rectangles of various sizes. Each tier is a different length and the widths are sort of random. Then each tier is sewn together and gathered. Super easy to make.
I think some one had posted a pic of a patchwork twirl and I just ran with it.

We are getting ready to head to disneyland, there were a lot of things on the list to do before we leave, but I only managed to finish this. It is the Out and about bag from ycmt:

Great job on the bag! I like the colour combo you chose!

We leave in one month and 5 days and I am stressed too. Then, I just found out I have to have surgery on Monday. Totally was not expecting that! I am now positive I won't get everything done that I wanted to. I am quite upset. I had some really cute ideas for the little one and now that just won't happen.

I hope your surgery went well and you are recovering quickly.

ETA: oh yeah, the reason I came by. My son has been BEGGING me to make him a knight outfit for a month. Every single day. "Have you made my knight outfit yet?" then today he upped his order to be a knight outfit AND a dragon outfit for his twin brother so I he can protect me (the princess, naturally) from the Dragon. Weak plot-point where I made my own nemesis aside, I took him to Joann fabric to pick out his knight fabric. He picked this insanely shiny, thin, nightmare-to-work-with fabric. So I paired it with $3/yard gray felt and the Portrait Peasant pattern to come up with this in about an hour. I spray basted the shiny "Knightmare" fabric to the felt and it was a breeze to work with. I did the shield from felt too, which I added an embroidery design I downloaded for free. I have since added another elastic lower than the shield to make it less dress like.
And what does the knight think? I know you're dying to know. "Um, Mom, where is my shield and my sword and my helmet???"
Sigh.

And with some elastic:

You did a great job on the costume. Your knight is too cute!

Love this! I'm gonna go check out that pattern!

I bought a cloth napkin at WDW a while back and decided to make it into a cover for my kindle fire

I don't really like the white elastic (it holds the cover closed), but didn't feel like running to the store to see if they make colored elastic - does anyone know?? Orange would have been perfect!

I think I have enough left to make a wristlet :scratchin I just thought the fabric was cute!!

That is such a neat idea! Thank you for sharing. Now I may be on the hunt for random napkins and whatnot when I am there!

Does anybody have any items that they have made that their children or yourself has out grown and you would like to sell/pass down? Little boys size 6 is what I would be interested in and also women and mens items

Welcome! If you see something here that you like, you can check out their signature to see if they have a shop.

The past week's sewing. I was crazy productive! This is just the Disney stuff, I got way more sewn than this.

Ariel Ballgown (8 yards of fabric!)

The metal tag reads, "Dreaming of the Sea" (Izzy's real name means "the sea")

Minnie Mouse BB outfit

Tutorial for the skirt

BB Ariel Gown

Eeyore Nightgown for me

Minnie Mouse Skirt

Epcot blouse

Sleep shorts for D

Mickey Nightgown for Izzy

Goodness! You got all of those done in a week plus more?! Great job on everything. Your nightgown may have just inspired me to make PJ's for our trip. ;)

I apologize in advance but I need a translation: what is a "supply" teacher?

We call substitute teachers "supply teachers" here. It must be one of those regional terms. I am sure there are terms used elsewhere that I am totally clueless about! :lmao:

Question -- for the elastic on the side, how do you secure it into the side without having it show through the front/side seam ? I don't know that I did that part right. I do know that I did it wrong more than once and had to rip out and restitch it in and had to rip it out again because messed something else up.

You did a great job on the dress! I have never made a Feliz so I can't help you with the elastic question. Hopefully someone can help you out!

I am amazed at everyone's things. I wish I could sew. All I can really sew is a button and I sew my bows that I make. I don't know if it's appropriate to share pics of them on here, but I am absolutely in awe of everyone's work. :)

Welcome! Yes please share pictures of your bows. Remember, we like pictures here!

I have been on a quilting kick lately. I literally locked myself in the sewing room the last week to finish off a quilt, which is why I hadn't been here for a while. In the last 2 months, I made a crib quilt, a twin-sized quilt, and a throw-sized quilt as presents. I still have 2 more to go before the end of the month (that is when we see some of the people getting the quilts). On the plus side, the last 2 are smaller quilts so they should go faster.

Tentatively joining this group. I'm looking for a new hobby and would love to get into his but genuinely have no idea where to start!!! Are there any web pages or books anyone can recomemd for someone wanting to learn to sew? My mum has an old sewing machine (literally 20 years old) that I'm going to borrow to see how I go but there seems like so much to learn I don't know where to start!!
Our upcoming trip is Dec and I was hoping to make matching playsuits or dungarees for dd (2.5) and ds who will be 6 months but already fits 12-18 month clothes.
What other equipment do I need and should I just dive straight into trying a dungaree pattern or should I try some easier things first?
I did sew a title at school but that was about 10 years ago and we had an amazing teacher correcting all our mistakes!!

Tentatively joining this group. I'm looking for a new hobby and would love to get into his but genuinely have no idea where to start!!! Are there any web pages or books anyone can recomemd for someone wanting to learn to sew? My mum has an old sewing machine (literally 20 years old) that I'm going to borrow to see how I go but there seems like so much to learn I don't know where to start!!
Our upcoming trip is Dec and I was hoping to make matching playsuits or dungarees for dd (2.5) and ds who will be 6 months but already fits 12-18 month clothes.
What other equipment do I need and should I just dive straight into trying a dungaree pattern or should I try some easier things first?
I did sew a title at school but that was about 10 years ago and we had an amazing teacher correcting all our mistakes!!

I would suggest you check out the scientific seamstress (google it) all of her patterns are like a sewing lesson and are a great place to start for a beginner. All you need is a sewing machine.

Finished DD's Cinderella dress yesterday. She preferred hugging it to wearing it, but now that it's hemmed to her height, I'm hoping she'll enjoy wearing it more. I know this will be a dress-up staple for a couple years!

Rather than follow the tutorial for the bodice like I did with the Belle dress, I used the Scientific Seamstress Precious pattern for the bodice--though without a printer. I had to just measure the screen (with proper scaling) and draw the lines. I must have accidentally cut on the empire waist measurement, b/c it was way too short. A simple band fixed that (folded over with interfacing to thicken/substantiate). I'm happy but do plan to try my hand at a better one this spring. The hem is bubbly (haven't pressed to see if that'll help) and it's big. I'm hoping to make a truly beautiful gown for WDW in May. Thanks for looking!

20131006_192454_RichtoneHDR_zps3222497b.jpg

Checking out her glass slippers:
20131006_185421_zps55c56e51.jpg

Has anyone here made a Merida dress? I'm debating making one, but I'm concerned about a double layer of long sleeves in hot weather. Any suggestions or pictures would be welcome!

Thanks,

Finished DD's Cinderella dress yesterday. She preferred hugging it to wearing it, but now that it's hemmed to her height, I'm hoping she'll enjoy wearing it more. I know this will be a dress-up staple for a couple years!

Rather than follow the tutorial for the bodice like I did with the Belle dress, I used the Scientific Seamstress Precious pattern for the bodice--though without a printer. I had to just measure the screen (with proper scaling) and draw the lines. I must have accidentally cut on the empire waist measurement, b/c it was way too short. A simple band fixed that (folded over with interfacing to thicken/substantiate). I'm happy but do plan to try my hand at a better one this spring. The hem is bubbly (haven't pressed to see if that'll help) and it's big. I'm hoping to make a truly beautiful gown for WDW in May. Thanks for looking!

Looks beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I took a class at Joann's and then just dove in head first. I have noticed most people here buy their patterns online, I am a store pattern person so far. I have not tried denim but did jump right into suede which was easier than I thought. Welcome !

Has anyone here made a Merida dress? I'm debating making one, but I'm concerned about a double layer of long sleeves in hot weather. Any suggestions or pictures would be welcome!

Thanks,

I made one as my halloween costume last year for me with a generic pattern and altered it to look Merida Like. It is not required to have double sleeves. Even if you do her original dress, you can just add the fabric in and not do the full length of the sleeve. I made her dress from the competition before she ripped it.
brave-merida-fergus-lords

I am making the child's Merida dress form the simplicity pattern. The sleeve is one piece with a gauntlet piece over top. I am using cotton underneath with the costume panne velvet on top. That stuff is slippery so it is taking more time than I thought.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Here are some of my bows.

I'll post pictures of my princess ones after I upload them to photobucket.

(I removed the images because others thought I had other intentions. Sorry, if my post bothered anyone if any way.)

I do LOVE all of your work and find you all very talented.

From what I was told, there is no selling/advertising/personal gain type of thing allowed on the Dis. So if you have something for sale you are not supposed to post it on the Dis.

From what I was told, there is no selling/advertising/personal gain type of thing allowed on the Dis. So if you have something for sale you are not supposed to post it on the Dis.

Honestly, I had no intentions on posting to sell. I was just sharing what I make. Yes, I do sell them to others, but I do make them for my daughter and others. I have given them away to many people. No where did I say that I was selling them. I was simply sharing, but I guess I was wrong for sharing. If you read my original post, I stated that I am in awe about everyone's creations and that I wish I could make things like that. I then asked if it was okay for me to share and someone said that it was fine for me to share. So I did. I will now take them off because obviously others think I had other intentions.

Thanks for the replies about the Merida dress. I still have lots of time to consider how I'm going to make it. I appreciate the help!

Caralyn - it is entirely appropriate for you to post pictures of your bows here. Everyone posts pictures of their completed projects. I especially like your bows!

The past week's sewing. I was crazy productive! This is just the Disney stuff, I got way more sewn than this.

Oh my! You have been crazy productive! I love everything but especially the Minnie Mouse skirt and the Eeyore nightgown.

You did a great job. I love it!

Fabulous dress! She's a little cutie. Great idea for fixing the waist. If you hadn't said anything, I never would have known that that wasn't the way it was suppose to be.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sorry if I missed anyone and their creations. I have loved everything I see.

Well, I am back. I ended up having 3 surgeries in 6 days. I am in a TON of pain, but happy to be back on the DIS. Thanks for the well wishes.

I leave for a Disney cruise in 24 days. I had a ton of items I was planning on making but the surgery really messed that up. I don't know how much I will end up getting done, but I will do what I can!

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I posted. I need to take lots of pics...but since we leave for the world in 6 days I may just end up posting action shots. Fall is a busy sewing time for me anyway...add in a WDW trip and I am too busy. I'm finishing up three more appliqué shirts tonite....but all my sewing from scratch for Disney is done.....I also have thanksgiving sets cut out for the girls. Then I need to do christmas dresses for our Christmas card....yikes, then work on some gifts and cool weather clothes. So far I have done:

Ariel tshirt and shorts for dd4, and coordinating skooter skirt with flounder tshirt for dd1
Pink Minnie dot sundress dd4 and ruffle butt romper dd1
Toy story inspired peasant dresses x2
Lady tshirt for dd4 and dumbo tshirt with coordinating circus scooter skirt
Birthday shirts for both girls and princess skooter skirt for toddler

Ariel costume DD4
Snow White costume DD1

DS7 shirts...he picked them out
Baseball Mickey
Darth Vador with Ears
Lego Boba Fett

Hope all are doing well and all machines are behaving!

Honestly, I had no intentions on posting to sell. I was just sharing what I make. Yes, I do sell them to others, but I do make them for my daughter and others. I have given them away to many people. No where did I say that I was selling them. I was simply sharing, but I guess I was wrong for sharing. If you read my original post, I stated that I am in awe about everyone's creations and that I wish I could make things like that. I then asked if it was okay for me to share and someone said that it was fine for me to share. So I did. I will now take them off because obviously others think I had other intentions.

Wow! Sorry for sharing what I was told by a moderator.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter