Disboutiquers Part 30 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

th_267a113f-e482-4620-bf30-d1077c249e00_zpsf97030ad.jpg
th_324c3948-c422-4198-93b9-d4996d2bc733_zps0ebbeebc.jpg
th_0acddadc-d3fc-4795-abbf-96e703fac5e0_zps8b80e251.jpg

Wow! That dress is awesome (as my DD would say)

Just had to pop in and let you know how inspirational you guys have been for me! I am enjoying the pictures of all of your amazing projects! I am a very, very beginner sewer, but I have to say am inspired by you all to try a few projects of my own! I am really intrigued by the appliques and embroidery especially!! So much so that I went to my local Joann's and watched a demo on an embroidery/sewing machine yesterday. How fun! Santa may not have such a hard time shopping for me this year!:santa:

I hope to have some of my own project pics to post soon!

Thank you all!

Liesel

I have been lurking here off and on for a couple of years. I am currently busy sewing outfits for our December WDW trip. While reading D~'s TR, I got the itch to attempt to make a bag for our trip. So I'm seeking some advice. Does anyone have a hipster pattern they really like? Or another bag pattern that works well as a park bag?

I made the one from dogundermydesk dot com. It works up very nicely and is comfortable to carry. I made one for my last trip.

Just had to pop in and let you know how inspirational you guys have been for me! I am enjoying the pictures of all of your amazing projects! I am a very, very beginner sewer, but I have to say am inspired by you all to try a few projects of my own! I am really intrigued by the appliques and embroidery especially!! So much so that I went to my local Joann's and watched a demo on an embroidery/sewing machine yesterday. How fun! Santa may not have such a hard time shopping for me this year!:santa:

Thank you all!

Liesel

I was the exact same way! I've only been sewing for...almost 2 months? Maybe less? This and the past threads really boosted my desire. I want to try applique, too! Maybe in the new year.

Thanks for the replies about the Belle gown! (I forgot to pull quotes) Even with the setbacks it was a fun project with a fun result. I have a friend who is jealous b/c she always wanted a princess gown as a child! :cutie:

I am nearly done with DD's Belle gown! I have just the finishing details, sleeves, and some hemming to figure out. I forgot to take into account the length of the bodice when I figured the length of the skirt--so the skirt is too long.

Did I already mention that this is the second skirt I had to make? I got the first one completely done (minus the sash, which isn't finished yet), when I realized it was teeeeeny tiny. I'd made the panels half as wide as I needed. Oops! I went back to the store and bought the remaining fabric--only 2 yards left. Crossed my fingers.

Well, 2 yards again didn't work quite right to get the proportion for the A-line. So I used some of the left over bodice fabric to add the extra width. You can see how that turned out in the first picture.

The back: notice the extra panels in the middle that created a train. These panels are sparkly. I wish I'd added the gold trim to the back of the bodice, but oh well!
267a113f-e482-4620-bf30-d1077c249e00_zpsf97030ad.jpg

The front:
324c3948-c422-4198-93b9-d4996d2bc733_zps0ebbeebc.jpg

0acddadc-d3fc-4795-abbf-96e703fac5e0_zps8b80e251.jpg

The dress is beautiful.

I have a little friend who will be making her first trip to Disney World in November. I made this outfit for her and hope to make a couple more for her before the trip.

I am nearly done with DD's Belle gown! I have just the finishing details, sleeves, and some hemming to figure out. I forgot to take into account the length of the bodice when I figured the length of the skirt--so the skirt is too long.

Did I already mention that this is the second skirt I had to make? I got the first one completely done (minus the sash, which isn't finished yet), when I realized it was teeeeeny tiny. I'd made the panels half as wide as I needed. Oops! I went back to the store and bought the remaining fabric--only 2 yards left. Crossed my fingers.

Well, 2 yards again didn't work quite right to get the proportion for the A-line. So I used some of the left over bodice fabric to add the extra width. You can see how that turned out in the first picture.

The back: notice the extra panels in the middle that created a train. These panels are sparkly. I wish I'd added the gold trim to the back of the bodice, but oh well!

The front:

That is so cute! I am sorry you had to do it again. We've all been there- but that doesn't make it any less sucky! I hope you can make it in the 2 yards you got. Good luck!

I was the exact same way! I've only been sewing for...almost 2 months? Maybe less? This and the past threads really boosted my desire. I want to try applique, too! Maybe in the new year.

Thanks for the replies about the Belle gown! (I forgot to pull quotes) Even with the setbacks it was a fun project with a fun result. I have a friend who is jealous b/c she always wanted a princess gown as a child! :cutie:

Wow! You've only been sewing for a few months?? The Belle gown is beautiful! Very impressive- I would have thought you had been sewing for much, much longer! Great job!

th_267a113f-e482-4620-bf30-d1077c249e00_zpsf97030ad.jpg

The front:
th_324c3948-c422-4198-93b9-d4996d2bc733_zps0ebbeebc.jpg

th_0acddadc-d3fc-4795-abbf-96e703fac5e0_zps8b80e251.jpg

You did a great job on the dress. You were very creative to find a solution for your fabric problems. I have certainly done something similar in the past (and wondering why I had so much fabric leftover).

Gosh you ladies are so talented! I cant sew to save my life!

Welcome. You never know what you can do until you try! Many people started on this thread with nearly no sewing experience beyond home ec and they were all making beautiful things in no time!

Thank you all!

Liesel

Welcome! I look forward to seeing pictures of your projects.

I have a little friend who will be making her first trip to Disney World in November. I made this outfit for her and hope to make a couple more for her before the trip.

The outfit is adorable! I am sure your little friend will like it very much!

The dress is beautiful.

Thanks!

This is so lovely and classic! It is incredibly professional looking. Do you use a ruffler or gathering foot? It's so perfect.

That is so cute! I am sorry you had to do it again. We've all been there- but that doesn't make it any less sucky! I hope you can make it in the 2 yards you got. Good luck!

Thank you! This was using just the 2 yards, so I'm thankful it worked out.

Wow! You've only been sewing for a few months?? The Belle gown is beautiful! Very impressive- I would have thought you had been sewing for much, much longer! Great job!

Yep! I followed a tutorial for this dress at a blog called Homemade Toast. I really think reading and practice goes a long way!

You did a great job on the dress. You were very creative to find a solution for your fabric problems. I have certainly done something similar in the past (and wondering why I had so much fabric leftover).
Thank you :) It was a d'oh! moment for sure!

Speaking of professional, do many of you use a serger on clothing? I started by zig-zagging raw edges but use the overcasting foot/stitch now. Just thinking about the future and if I might invest in one sometime.

Seriously Disboards? Why do you hate to grab posts?

Anyway... I can't remember what I was going to post to (too old) and too lazy to go back and grab them again!

The only one I remember is about the serger...I was taught sewing by my grand mother (a professional seamstress from the 40's and 50's...she made all the wedding trousseaus for anybody that was anybody in the Birmingham area...) and she taught me that zig zagging was the only way a home seamstress could finish seams...but she had a professional serger type machine.

Once I decided to make clothes to sell I got a serger...I am now on my second one. I can't imagine sewing without it....and I only got a basic model, mine won't do all the fancy stuff...just a basic serger I love it!

Nini

Thank you all!

Liesel

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing projects from you. A word about Singer machines, though: Most people on here don't think much of them. I guess they have a reputation for being junk. I don't have personal experience, but that is the common belief on here. Lots of folks like Babylock (which is what I have and love), Bernina, Janome, Brother. If you are serious about getting started, you might want to check reviews of various machines. Maybe our fellow DISboutiquers can add their 2 cents worth. At any rate, hope I didn't scare you off. Again, Welcome!

The dress is beautiful.

This is so cute! I love the simplicity of the outfit that allows the design to shine. I just love it!

Seriously Disboards? Why do you hate to grab posts?

Anyway... I can't remember what I was going to post to (too old) and too lazy to go back and grab them again!

The only one I remember is about the serger...I was taught sewing by my grand mother (a professional seamstress from the 40's and 50's...she made all the wedding trousseaus for anybody that was anybody in the Birmingham area...) and she taught me that zig zagging was the only way a home seamstress could finish seams...but she had a professional serger type machine.

Once I decided to make clothes to sell I got a serger...I am now on my second one. I can't imagine sewing without it....and I only got a basic model, mine won't do all the fancy stuff...just a basic serger I love it!

Nini

I agree. I love my serger and it, too, is just basic.

BTW, Nini, how are you coming with your 70 shirts??? I'm still purchasing embroidery designs. Just can't seem to help myself!

Speaking of professional, do many of you use a serger on clothing? I started by zig-zagging raw edges but use the overcasting foot/stitch now. Just thinking about the future and if I might invest in one sometime.

I use a serger for all my clothing projects. Like you, I started out using zigzag stitch, then moved to overcast stitch. Since I was a poor student at the time, I ended up getting a side cutter for my sewing machine to do the overcast stitch and finish the hem. Eventually I got a serger, Singer 14CG754 from Wal-Mart. It is a basic 2-3-4 needle machine but I really like it. A word of warning though, there is a similar model made by Singer that people hate.

Thanks for the compliments on my outfit.

I gather the old fashion way, 2 rows of long stitches and pull them.

I have done gathers with a ruffler, a gathering foot, and the "old fashion" way. Ironically I actually like the old fashion way the best!

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing projects from you. A word about Singer machines, though: Most people on here don't think much of them. I guess they have a reputation for being junk. I don't have personal experience, but that is the common belief on here. Lots of folks like Babylock (which is what I have and love), Bernina, Janome, Brother. If you are serious about getting started, you might want to check reviews of various machines. Maybe our fellow DISboutiquers can add their 2 cents worth. At any rate, hope I didn't scare you off. Again, Welcome!

I agree. I love my serger and it, too, is just basic.

BTW, Nini, how are you coming with your 70 shirts??? I'm still purchasing embroidery designs. Just can't seem to help myself!

I agree with the statement about sewing machine brands. Yes, I have a Singer serger, but I heard many horror stories about a similar model made by Singer. Don't get me wrong, Singer used to make good machines that are workhorses (as some of the girls with vintage machines can attest to that). I own 3 Brother machines (one computerized sewing machine, one basic sewing/embroidery combo, one embroidery only) and all of them work very well. I have even taken the sewing only machine apart and serviced it myself.

I don't know what's worse - purchasing embroidery designs or sewing patterns! I really should stop browsing websites with either item :lmao:

BTW, were you able to connect with Teresa re: Big Give group?

Disneychic2:

actually, the brand I was watching a demo of at Joann's was Husqvarna. I didn't see any Singers. Would love to get yours and others opinions of Husqvarna. I have heard good things about Brother machines too. I'm at the very beginning stages of starting to look and know nothing about any of these brands, so any opinions are great welcomed! Thanks so much!

Liesel

actually, the brand I was watching a demo of at Joann's was Husqvarna. I didn't see any Singers. Would love to get yours and others opinions of Husqvarna. I have heard good things about Brother machines too. I'm at the very beginning stages of starting to look and know nothing about any of these brands, so any opinions are great welcomed! Thanks so much!

Liesel

The Husqvarna machines have a lot going for them. You can do just about anything, but they can be a little complicated. My mother has 2 Husqvarna embroidery machines - a fairly basic one and a Diamond. Long story, short: I get to use them. She recently bought a BabyLoc Ellissimo. It is much more intuitive and has some built in features that allow you to create simple embroidery designs right on the machine. Plus it automatically recalculates the density so you can enlarge or shrink designs easily.
You can do those things on the computer with the right software - Husqvarna does have great software, but it is extra (a lot extra) and once again, not as intuitive.
One important thing to look at is how you get the designs on the machine. If at all possible you don't want to have to use a big design card. A usb connection for a flash drive is much easier to use.
If you have a chance, play with several different brands before you decide. Also, get one with a decent sized hoop (At least 5x7). My first one was a Brother with only a 4 x 4 hoop - just big enough to get us really hooked.
A final note, make sure you buy from a dealer that really supports you. They can be invaluable in case you don't understand something or have a problem. -Or they can make your life miserable. There's at least one running horror story saga on here where a bad dealer continued to compound problems rather than help.

Wow! That dress is awesome (as my DD would say)
I think I missed this before, but thank you! :).

It's now been 2 days and I think that was a long enough break (last week I went 5 nights in between sewing!).

Thanks for the serger responses. If I'm still as gung-ho in the new year, I may have get one. Maybe I'll just ask for gift cards for Christmas.

Hi everyone. As so many others have said, you all continue to inspire me with your amazing creations. Here's a few things I've been working on over the last couple of months to try to keep up with all of you!

Four Quarters Dress (by Monkeysbug):
front
September2013040.jpg

Jackets from a recent Big Give:
September2013043.jpg

Skirt (with button hole elastic):
September2013047.jpg

Hidden button and opening:
September2013049.jpg

September2013050.jpg

Judy

The front:

SOOOO IN love with this~~~~ I may have to try my hand at one of these.

Hi everyone. As so many others have said, you all continue to inspire me with your amazing creations. Here's a few things I've been working on over the last couple of months to try to keep up with all of you!

Four Quarters Dress (by Monkeysbug):
front
th_September2013040.jpg

Jackets from a recent Big Give:
th_September2013043.jpg

Skirt (with button hole elastic):
th_September2013047.jpg

Hidden button and opening:
th_September2013049.jpg

th_September2013050.jpg

Judy

Hi Judy! I haven't seen you in a while and was wondering how you are doing. I I know I commented on those jackets before but I still think that they are great! The dress and skirt are nice too. By the way, we are going to be in your neck of the woods probably in early November (yes, I know, it will probably rain the whole time we are there).

I am working on a big project right now but I hope I will be able to show a few pictures soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter