Disboutiquers Part 30 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Quick answer on how I do it...

Draft it on freezer paper...make the length of the trapezoid :the length called for in the pattern...the width of the bottom :what is called for in the pattern, the width of the top :half what is called for in the pattern.

Then, connect the dots. Provided the pattern calls for a 2 to 1 gather, there would be no gathering required. (I have also doubled the width on the bottom, left the width at the top the same, and only made half as many panels. But this was for a specific design I wanted on the dress.)

Just remember..to measure the length FIRST. Draw a long line on top and bottom perpendicular to the length and parallel to each other. I usually use this as my center line...then divide the width and put half the width on one side and half the width on the other side. (If I knew how to draw on the computer I could show you...really easy...just hard for me to explain.

So the top is skinny, the bottom is wide and the length line is the center line. You can them fold it and cut with the length as your fold line or (if not using a directional fabric) alternate up and down to get more panels out of your fabric.

Now that I have thoroughly confused you...maybe someone can explain it better...

Sorry..

Nini

Thanks Nini, I think I got it. On a previous thread, I got the dimensions of the panels they used so I think I'll try with those. I was nervous on how they would stitch together with being angled as they are, but I guess, just stitch normally and it will actually start to gather itself lol

Here are some of my recent projects:

First up, this is a continuation of my Minnie-inspired clothing using SisBoom patterns. This time, I decided to try the Marlo top. I modified it into a dress and added ties at the waist.

I put a Mickey applique on the front due to a serger mishap :rotfl:.

Next up, we have a dress made using the Diane Kimono dress pattern from Serendipity Studios.

Finally, version 2.0 of the World Showcase skirt. Some of you may remember the skort I made last year. As we will be there in December this year, I decided a long skirt is probably a better idea. I modified the reversible patel skirt pattern from YMCT to 12 patels and went from there.

Appliques on the front:

Appliques on the back:

Of course, the skirt doubles as a map for the World Showcase as the countries are arranged according to their locations. :)

Thanks for looking!

I should be around more now. I now have a completely new computer. The new computer that I purchased almost 5 months ago was ruined by the company I bought it from when they replaced the hard drive and motherboard. Lost the free games and something that caused the computer to do strange things (blank tabs, blank webpages, deleting extra e-mail, etc). It just about drove me insane trying to fix whatever they did to it. Finally the store I bought it from let me return it and upgrade to a new computer since they no longer carry the model I purchased. Cost me more $, but at least I have a working computer now.

I now have to catch up on all the sewing I should have been doing for the past few months.

I will have to catch up on what creations I have missed. I can now add some photos to the computer and share what I have been working on.
It must be nice to have your computer back. :surfweb:

I've been traveling almost the entire month of May and now that I'm home, I'll hopefully be able to take time to post some pictures of what I've done lately. I love seeing everyone else's creations as it really inspires me. For now though, I'm off with DH to get a saw blade sharpened before our sweet peat (a type of mulch) gets delivered and we have to work outside. When he takes a day off I get NOTHING done!! :rolleyes1
You've been traveling and still had time to make things? :thumbsup2 DH off from work = more work for you.

So happy to have found this thread! Such much inspiration and beauty.

I've been sewing for many years but this will be my first time sewing for Disney. I have a 7 year old princess and a 12 year old who doesn't really like me to sew for her and a spouse that has worn one thing that I sewed once because I threatened not to feed him otherwise. :rotfl:

Anyway, my plans so far:

DD7
Little Mermaid Feliz
Ariel Ballgown (probably use Snow White's pattern)
Seven Dwarfs embroidered skirt with Snow White peasant top (online tutorials)
Autograph book and pouch
Nightgown?
Epcot outfit?
????

DD12
Pirate peasant blouse
Pouch for pennies and quarters and penny press list
PJ's

Me
Eeyore pj's
Purse

Mind you I've got three months and a house to move in between now and then plus I'm keeping everything a secret from DD7! So I might be a bit :goofy:
Welcome! Your Ariel ballgown sounds wonderful. Can't wait to see everything you make.

Mom & I have been very busy!!!

Here are the bows I made my girls to go with their thing 1 & 2 shirts to wear to universal. My son has a thing 3 shirt!!
Then here are outfits for one day at Magic Kingdom. Mom made the skirts for my girls & shorts for my son. Then my friend monogrammed the shirts & I made the bows to match!!

Here's a close up of the bows!!!
We are still working on a few more things but I am so excited to see them wearing the clothes in wdw!!! I will post more later when we get them done. :)
You two have been busy. I love the shirts and all the matching bows. When will you be in Universal? We will be at the parks on Tue, Wed, Thursday. If I see Three Things, two with really cute bows I will say Hi.

I usually have more ideas than I have time or Disney days for, but I am sort of stumped and looking for input. My boys' 4th birthday (the actual day) we have dinner reservations at Be Our Guest. I think we are going to MK just for the afternoon and dinner, starting the day in Epcot. I was thinking of "it's my birthday" t-shirts for that leg of the day, and thought i had an idea for the BOG dinner but now I am re-thinking it. I am IN LOVE with these cutie Beauty and the Beast characters, and wanted to do one cogsworth and one lumiere. And possibly Mrs. Potts for me and if I can convince him, Beast for hubby. But from what I gather, BOG is sort of fancy... I was going to do the Jackson Raglan t-shirts for the boys with the character, and t-shirts for the parents. I am only making 2 sets of bowling shirts this time (WHAT? Insanity!!!) so maybe I could do some sort of boyish beauty and the beast shirts w/ those characters, but I am stumped on fabrics. Or... I could stick with the plan and use the fabric I already bought for the knit raglan shirts. Or they can just wear the birthday shirts. Anyone who has been there, is it really fancy? Are we going to feel underdressed in t-shrits? I imagine a lot of people will be, and sunburnt and filthy as one tends to be after a long day in the parks.

Oh, and an update on my machine woes... For those keeping track, I am having a terrible time. I originally took my PE770 for a tune-up to a store 45 minutes from me because the local guy was a cranky, pushy old guy. Then I bought a new machine at the expo from the new place. And since then the PE770 has leaked greasy crud on several shirts and has been back in already because it was shredding thread (they keep telling me that it is not possible, they only give back machines that work 100 percent!) and now my 6 week old machine is in for the 2nd time in as many weeks, the first time was the needle threader, they told me it was my fault for using the wrong needles (which worked for the first 4 weeks flawlessly.) and now it is totally locked up, motor seized. The not-so-helpful woman today told me it was my fault because I need to take lessons and I am using the wrong stabilizer and I broke it. (BTW, medium-weight cut-away w/ t-shirts, um, what? That is what I learned...) so I am without a working machine, I was up at 11 p.m. trying to finish an order with the PE770 and it got grease all over and I was in tears. I told the technician that today and he told me that the machine needs oil and it must be something I am doing and I need to take lessons. I literally looked at him dumbfounded and asked "What exactly can you teach me in a class that will keep oil from dripping out of my machine, that you serviced, and ruining my projects?" Meanwhile my kids were losing patience with the 30 minutes we were there, and were running around like crazies. Supposedly he is going to get it fixed by the end of the week, I really hope so, and correctly. I actually considered going to the local place with the cranky old guy but when I was googling for the phone number I read that he retired friday (like 3 days ago) and shuttered the shop, so now the other place is the only brother service within 50 miles!
While I was there I decided to pick up more Star wars fabric, since I was a little short for some shirts, and didn't want to take the kids to my local quilt shop. I thought they rang me up for a whole yard when I asked for 3/4 since it was $11, but when I called she said it was $13.95 a YARD! (it was $10/yard at the local quilt shop.) There is no way I would have paid $4/ per yard more if I had known. That is crazy! I was already a splurge at $10. So I guess the only thing I can do now is move to a different state since clearly I am not having any luck with the service providers here!
/rant
Super annoying about your machines. I hope they get fixed ASAP. I brought my machines in for service and after 4 weeks I swear they never touched them. Which, I guess, may have been a good thing. $14 for a yard of fabric is a stretch. :faint:

As for BoG, I have never been, but I wore shorts and a t-shirt to CRT for dinner and it was fine. I can't imagine you would feel out of place in t-shirts. I like your idea of using those cuties on the Raglan shirts.

First up, this is a continuation of my Minnie-inspired clothing using SisBoom patterns. This time, I decided to try the Marlo top. I modified it into a dress and added ties at the waist.

Next up, we have a dress made using the Diane Kimono dress pattern from Serendipity Studios.

Finally, version 2.0 of the World Showcase skirt. Some of you may remember the skort I made last year. As we will be there in December this year, I decided a long skirt is probably a better idea. I modified the reversible patel skirt pattern from YMCT to 12 patels and went from there.

Of course, the skirt doubles as a map for the World Showcase as the countries are arranged according to their locations. :)

Thanks for looking!
Everything looks really nice. I love that Kimono dress. Your newest version of the World Showcase skirt is beautiful. I like the patels. Better pack both versions in case it is warm!

Thanks everyone for the compliments!! I'm excited to see the kids wearing them in the parks!!
Here's another set of bows I made for my girls today.
null-22.jpg

You two have been busy. I love the shirts and all the matching bows. When will you be in Universal? We will be at the parks on Tue, Wed, Thursday. If I see Three Things, two with really cute bows I will say Hi.

I think we are going to universal next Friday. We will be doing the Disney parks the days before that.

I got a little behind; I've been sewing, sewing, sewing. I only have 8 days til we leave and at least two and a half of those are spoken for.

Thanks. Please feel free to use/expand on the idea (as long as you post pictures of your project ;)). I may make a new one after the December trip if I have enough new signatures collected from the last few trips.

I also plan to steal this idea. Soo cute.

For ruffling using dental floss, you zig zag over the dental floss and then use that to pull on to ruffle it. It works great but I just started using a loose straight stitch sewn by hand and I like it better.

I usually just use the basting stitch on my machine (in some non-matching colors) and pull the bobbin thread to ruffle. Recently I bought a ruffling foot (Husqvarna); it is so simple to use. You just feed the two fabrics through, one under the foot, one through the slit in the foot. Hold on to the top fabric to give it a little tension, and Voila! ruffles. So fast and easy.

I've been sewing for many years but this will be my first time sewing for Disney. I have a 7 year old princess and a 12 year old who doesn't really like me to sew for her and a spouse that has worn one thing that I sewed once because I threatened not to feed him otherwise. :rotfl:

Anyway, my plans so far:

DD7
Little Mermaid Feliz
Autograph book and pouch
Nightgown?
Epcot outfit?
????

DD12
Pirate peasant blouse
PJ's

Me
Eeyore pj's
Purse

Mind you I've got three months and a house to move in between now and then plus I'm keeping everything a secret from DD7! So I might be a bit :goofy:

STOP IT! I don't have time to make these things (I love the idea of a pirate peasant blouse) so quit giving me more ideas!
I mean, welcome, that sounds like a lot of fun to do. :hyper:

I love this!
Nice use of applique. I had to do a little creative stitching yesterday due to an out of control thread snip - I still don't know how it happened.

I've been working on safari vests and Mickey/Minnie shirts. Right now I have several things that need some sort of supplies or to be tried on before I can finish them (going shopping on Thursday- I live in podunk) and tshirts that I need to do at my mother's (her hoop is bigger). I will post pics when I get a few more things done. The Mickey/Minnie shirts are Heathersue embroideries - super cute. I'm very excited about them.

Love the chevron fabric and the bows! Funny thing is my youngest dd named herself Izze - with an "e" instead of a "y"!

I've been busy embroidering t shirts for dh and me to wear - he is totally into dressing in the shirts and asked if I planned one for each day we are there. He is just a big kid at heart! I promise to post pictures once I get them uploaded.

I have an Izzy too but it's a nickname. :goodvibes

<snip>

Appliques on the front:

Appliques on the back:

Thanks for looking!

OMGoodness I'm loving this skirt! So amazing. It must have taken ages.

Purple ears...love your outfits, especially the Epcot skirt!!!!

Nanne....I love that dress with all those ruffles, I may need to get that pattern.

Sorry to everyone with machine problems, I would be sooo upset. Hope they are in working order soon.

I am hopelessly behind again, very sorry. I know I have loved everything posted! But my memory just can't keep up. And thank you all for the wonderful comments on my outfits. I am desperately trying to get outfits sewn for our upcoming trip. So when they are finished, I will post them.

Good morning all :goodvibes Does anyone here have a Brother 1034D Serger? I'm thinking about buying a serger and this one seems reasonably priced. I specifically need to know if it's easy to use :rolleyes1 and maintain! If not, what kind do you have? Thanks in advance for your help!!

Thanks Nini, I think I got it. On a previous thread, I got the dimensions of the panels they used so I think I'll try with those. I was nervous on how they would stitch together with being angled as they are, but I guess, just stitch normally and it will actually start to gather itself lol

I didn't get a chance to get back on the computer last night, but a word of warning...make sure the center line is on the grain line. That is Key! It will make the skirt hang straight and no gathering (well unless your math is off...then you might have to ease in a bit here and there...but no serious gathering required!)

Nini

:wizard:Good luck to all with machine problems. So frustrating!

Agree with all who have already said that Ts are fine for BOG and the cutie Ts sound perfect!

Love the boy/girl chevron outfits!

Love the Epcot skirt!:worship:

Anyway, my plans so far:

DD7
Little Mermaid Feliz
Autograph book and pouch
Nightgown?
Epcot outfit?
????

DD12
Pirate peasant blouse
PJ's

Me
Eeyore pj's
Purse

You are going to be busy but I can't wait to see everything when you're finished.

Mom & I have been very busy!!!

Here are the bows I made my girls to go with their thing 1 & 2 shirts to wear to universal. My son has a thing 3 shirt!! :)
th_null-18.jpg

Then here are outfits for one day at Magic Kingdom. Mom made the skirts for my girls & shorts for my son. Then my friend monogrammed the shirts & I made the bows to match!!
th_null-19.jpg

th_null-20.jpg

Here's a close up of the bows!!!
th_null-21.jpg

We are still working on a few more things but I am so excited to see them wearing the clothes in wdw!!! I will post more later when we get them done. :)

Your children are going to be very well dressed, I love all of it.

Appliques on the front:

Appliques on the back:

Thanks for looking!

Everything is very pretty. I especially like the skirt and that you can use it as a map.

Thanks everyone for the compliments!! I'm excited to see the kids wearing them in the parks!!
th_null-22.jpg

Those are beautiful bows.

Good morning all :goodvibes Does anyone here have a Brother 1034D Serger? I'm thinking about buying a serger and this one seems reasonably priced. I specifically need to know if it's easy to use :rolleyes1 and maintain! If not, what kind do you have? Thanks in advance for your help!!

I had one and I absolutely hated it. It worked fine for less than a month. I know a lot of people swear by them.

I have a Janome 11000DX it is a pricier machine but I love it and it seriously sounds way different from the Brother. The brother sounded clunky this one is much smoother and it is super easy to thread and I use it for gathering. I bought it at a local sewing store.

I had one and I absolutely hated it. It worked fine for less than a month. I know a lot of people swear by them.

I have a Janome 11000DX it is a pricier machine but I love it and it seriously sounds way different from the Brother. The brother sounded clunky this one is much smoother and it is super easy to thread and I use it for gathering. I bought it at a local sewing store.

Thanks! I'll check out the Janome. I really don't want to spend a lot, because I don't think it will be used a whole lot :rolleyes2 but I would like to learn how to use one!

I have an Izzy too but it's a nickname. :goodvibes

Hers is a nickname too - her real name is Shannon Elizabeth.

I have pictures of my latest projects - these are some of the t shirts I was making for dh and me for our trip.

I still have more to do, but wanted to share some of the ones I've finished. Its been a learning process using my new machine and also trying to figure out my old one.

I usually have more ideas than I have time or Disney days for, but I am sort of stumped and looking for input. My boys' 4th birthday (the actual day) we have dinner reservations at Be Our Guest. I think we are going to MK just for the afternoon and dinner, starting the day in Epcot. I was thinking of "it's my birthday" t-shirts for that leg of the day, and thought i had an idea for the

Oh, and an update on my machine woes... For those keeping track, I am having a terrible time. I originally took my PE770 for a tune-up to a store 45 minutes from me because the local guy was a cranky, pushy old guy. Then I bought a new machine at the expo from the new place. And since then the PE770 has leaked greasy crud on several shirts and has been back in already because it was shredding thread (they keep telling me that it is not possible, they only give back machines that work 100 percent!) and now my 6 week old machine is in for the 2nd time in as many weeks, the first time was the needle threader, they told me it was my fault for using the wrong needles (which worked for the first 4 weeks flawlessly.) and now it is totally locked up, motor seized. The not-so-helpful woman today told me it was my fault because I need to take lessons and I am using the wrong stabilizer and I broke it. (BTW, medium-weight cut-away w/ t-shirts, um, what? That is what I learned...) so I am without a working machine, I was up at 11 p.m. trying to finish an order with the PE770 and it got grease all over and I was in tears. I told the technician that today and he told me that the machine needs oil and it must be something I am doing and I need to take lessons. I literally looked at him dumbfounded and asked "What exactly can you teach me in a class that will keep oil from dripping out of my machine, that you serviced, and ruining my projects?" Meanwhile my kids were losing patience with the 30 minutes we were there, and were running around like crazies. Supposedly he is going to get it fixed by the end of the week, I really hope so, and correctly. I actually considered going to the local place with the cranky old guy but when I was googling for the phone number I read that he retired friday (like 3 days ago) and shuttered the shop, so now the other place is the only brother service within 50 miles!
While I was there I decided to pick up more Star wars fabric, since I was a little short for some shirts, and didn't want to take the kids to my local quilt shop. I thought they rang me up for a whole yard when I asked for 3/4 since it was $11, but when I called she said it was $13.95 a YARD! (it was $10/yard at the local quilt shop.) There is no way I would have paid $4/ per yard more if I had known. That is crazy! I was already a splurge at $10. So I guess the only thing I can do now is move to a different state since clearly I am not having any luck with the service providers here!
/rant[/QUOTE]

I am so sorry you are having a horrible time with your local Brother rep. I have had nothing but trouble with Brother machines. I know others swear by them, but I have never had one I would have again. After you get your machines back, I would call the Brother company and tell them of your experience. They may not know of the problems with your machines or with this service center. They may have options for you. I know sometimes you can send your machine in. Or they may "make" the guy stand behind his work and make it right. Worth a try any way. Best of luck.

I usually have more ideas than I have time or Disney days for, but I am sort of stumped and looking for input. My boys' 4th birthday (the actual day) we have dinner reservations at Be Our Guest. I think we are going to MK just for the afternoon and dinner, starting the day in Epcot. I was thinking of "it's my birthday" t-shirts for that leg of the day, and thought i had an idea for the

/rant

I am so sorry you are having a horrible time with your local Brother rep. I have had nothing but trouble with Brother machines. I know others swear by them, but I have never had one I would have again. After you get your machines back, I would call the Brother company and tell them of your experience. They may not know of the problems with your machines or with this service center. They may have options for you. I know sometimes you can send your machine in. Or they may "make" the guy stand behind his work and make it right. Worth a try any way. Best of luck.[/QUOTE]

I am drafting a letter to the owner of the company I bought the machine from, as well as Brother Corp. And the BBB. I feel like they have been terrible customer service every encounter and I have given them plenty of opportunity to make it right. I feel like I should get the highest level of service if I went in to buy a spool of thread or a $10,000 machine. (which, judging by the cost of 1 yard of fabric, the spool of thread and the machine might be similarly priced!)
I LOVED my PE770 from the day I got it until the day I got it back from them for a tuneup. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, but we were going out of town and I could be without it for a couple weeks so figured it would be good to have it looked over. Well, that was NOT money well spent.

I did manage to get two shirts done today for a rush order from a repeat customer, and neither had grease on it, so maybe, hopefully, that whole situation has run its course. Of course the thread broke about 250 times, so it still isn't perfect, but I'll cope. I am sort of wishing though, that I have picked the Babylock which was similarly appointed at the expo instead of the brother, for sure. (And yes I know they are made by the same people...)

Everything looks really nice. I love that Kimono dress. Your newest version of the World Showcase skirt is beautiful. I like the patels. Better pack both versions in case it is warm!

Thanks. Good idea about bringing both, though it will depend on how much space we have in the suitcase! We do get one free bag per person, but we plan to bring back a suitcase full of Lego :rotfl:!

th_null-22.jpg

Very cute bows!

I got a little behind; I've been sewing, sewing, sewing. I only have 8 days til we leave and at least two and a half of those are spoken for.

I also plan to steal this idea. Soo cute.

I love this!
Nice use of applique. I had to do a little creative stitching yesterday due to an out of control thread snip - I still don't know how it happened.

I've been working on safari vests and Mickey/Minnie shirts. Right now I have several things that need some sort of supplies or to be tried on before I can finish them (going shopping on Thursday- I live in podunk) and tshirts that I need to do at my mother's (her hoop is bigger). I will post pics when I get a few more things done. The Mickey/Minnie shirts are Heathersue embroideries - super cute. I'm very excited about them.

I hope you can get the outfits completed. Please share pictures of your quilt when it is done! Hopefully no more creative stitiching for both of us for a while :)

OMGoodness I'm loving this skirt! So amazing. It must have taken ages.

Thanks. It actually didn't take that long in the grand scheme of things. I think it took me longer to decide how to modify the pattern than executing the idea!

Purple ears...love your outfits, especially the Epcot skirt!!!!

I am hopelessly behind again, very sorry. I know I have loved everything posted! But my memory just can't keep up. And thank you all for the wonderful comments on my outfits. I am desperately trying to get outfits sewn for our upcoming trip. So when they are finished, I will post them.

Thanks :) I wonder if I can get away with wearing it to work :rotfl:

I look forward to seeing pictures of your outfits!

Love the Epcot skirt!:worship:

Thanks. It was a lot of fun to put it together!

Everything is very pretty. I especially like the skirt and that you can use it as a map.

Thanks. I actually used the last version to help someone with directions. They had a dining reservation somewhere and could not figure out how to get to the country. I still struggle with the location of some of the countries so it is good to have the skirt as a back up plan :lmao:

I have pictures of my latest projects - these are some of the t shirts I was making for dh and me for our trip.

I still have more to do, but wanted to share some of the ones I've finished. Its been a learning process using my new machine and also trying to figure out my old one.

Great job on the completed outfits! I am sure you guys will have so much fun on the trip!

I am drafting a letter to the owner of the company I bought the machine from, as well as Brother Corp. And the BBB. I feel like they have been terrible customer service every encounter and I have given them plenty of opportunity to make it right. I feel like I should get the highest level of service if I went in to buy a spool of thread or a $10,000 machine. (which, judging by the cost of 1 yard of fabric, the spool of thread and the machine might be similarly priced!)

I LOVED my PE770 from the day I got it until the day I got it back from them for a tuneup. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, but we were going out of town and I could be without it for a couple weeks so figured it would be good to have it looked over. Well, that was NOT money well spent.

I did manage to get two shirts done today for a rush order from a repeat customer, and neither had grease on it, so maybe, hopefully, that whole situation has run its course. Of course the thread broke about 250 times, so it still isn't perfect, but I'll cope. I am sort of wishing though, that I have picked the Babylock which was similarly appointed at the expo instead of the brother, for sure. (And yes I know they are made by the same people...)

I am glad that you decided to escalate the issue. Hopefully someone "higher up" will understand your frustration and set things right for you.

Glad to hear that your shirts today didn't get grease on them. How annoying to have the thread break! Hopefully it was just that cone of thread and not an ongoing issue!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter