Disboutiquers Part 30 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

I think matching up my kids has become an obsession. I do it automatically, even with their play clothes. The boys are so used to it, they ask each other which matching shirt the other wants to wear that day. Lol! Oh well, I know there will come a time where they won't let me, so I'm enjoying it now for all it's worth!

(And, I've even got dh trained that on vacation, we coordinate. He just came to ask me what today's outfit was supposed to be. ;p)

Regards,
C.

That's cute that your kids want to match! Good job on getting your DH on board in terms of matching outfits.

We always dressed my boys matching or coordinating as infants because its cute. Now we do it to stop fights. If we only had ONE captain America t-shirt there would be unbelievable fallout. And making 2 at a time just seems normal
To me now. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

It's funny that you do matching shirts to stop fights! I can't wait to see what you make for your trip!

I was planning to screen print basic Mickey heads on tshirts to wear to Epcot and sew bows on the girls' to make them into Minnies. Cute idea, right?
But no, you all have to mention Heather Sue's embroideries. I go to look for Timon and Pumba for Animal Kingdom day - and what do I see? Mickey heads in every possible style, including one in a sailor hat which I must now make for my retired Navy Hubby. Needless to say, I am now going to embroider those shirts instead. And everyone's shirt will be different - as soon as I narrow down the choices to only 7.:scratchin

Sorry to be enablers, but I hope you will have fun making the outfits. ;)

Ladies,
I'm thinking about a pink cindy dress for V (not that we'll have time to make one but it will be at the end of the list. Any pattern suggestions for it? Anyone made something that worked well? It will be made using cottons.
Thanks in advance!
Erin

We got the dates for my daughter's wish trip finally and we're going July 20. Does anyone know of a pattern to make mouse ears? They all want them, but with seven kids we can't buy them each one. If you know of any patterns, please let me know! Thanks

Ladies,
I'm thinking about a pink cindy dress for V (not that we'll have time to make one but it will be at the end of the list. Any pattern suggestions for it? Anyone made something that worked well? It will be made using cottons.
Thanks in advance!
Erin

Just about any dress pattern will work as long as it has a separate bodice. Just put white flutter sleeves (that's what I call them anyway) on it and add a pink ribbon wrapped around the bodice and tied at the top(google Pink Cinderella dress to see how it's wrapped), plus some bows on the bottom with the same ribbon. If the skirt isn't full enough, add to it and gather more. Depending on time and the "princess toleration level" of your girl you could add a white petticoat too.
To make flutter sleeves cut a piece of fabric in a skinny half circle, hem the straight side, gather the round side, attach to the arm hole, and bind it with bias tape.

If you don't have time to make the dress, just add the ribbon to a pink t-shirt and Bippity Boppity Boo - Instant Cinderella. T-shirt dresses work better for active children anyway.

Here's my latest t-shirt princess - Snow White

The skirt is a separate piece with shorts attached because my princess is quite the tomboy (fortunately she also loves pretty stuff)

Just about any dress pattern will work as long as it has a separate bodice. Just put white flutter sleeves (that's what I call them anyway) on it and add a pink ribbon wrapped around the bodice and tied at the top(google Pink Cinderella dress to see how it's wrapped), plus some bows on the bottom with the same ribbon. If the skirt isn't full enough, add to it and gather more. Depending on time and the "princess toleration level" of your girl you could add a white petticoat too.
To make flutter sleeves cut a piece of fabric in a skinny half circle, hem the straight side, gather the round side, attach to the arm hole, and bind it with bias tape.

If you don't have time to make the dress, just add the ribbon to a pink t-shirt and Bippity Boppity Boo - Instant Cinderella. T-shirt dresses work better for active children anyway.

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/smittette/media/IMG_20130521_091858_142.jpg.html

The skirt is a separate piece with shorts attached because my princess is quite the tomboy (fortunately she also loves pretty stuff)

Love this tshirt dress! Great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I was planning to screen print basic Mickey heads on tshirts to wear to Epcot and sew bows on the girls' to make them into Minnies. Cute idea, right?
But no, you all have to mention Heather Sue's embroideries. I go to look for Timon and Pumba for Animal Kingdom day - and what do I see? Mickey heads in every possible style, including one in a sailor hat which I must now make for my retired Navy Hubby. Needless to say, I am now going to embroider those shirts instead. And everyone's shirt will be different - as soon as I narrow down the choices to only 7.:scratchin

I agree there is so much you can do its overwhelming!!!!!

The dress is adorable!!!!!

Thanks again everyone for the comments on DS's outfit. She's still sewing! I will prob be posting more in a few days. I'm waiting on ribbon & bottlecaps to come in so I can do matching bows for my girls!

For those who were talking about matching/coordinating kids outfits......
I made my twin girls match until they were 6 (1st grade) & it hurt me bad when they didn't want to anymore!!! I still make them match/coordinate for holidays & special occasions even with their little brother. But other than that they rarely pick the same thing out to wear anymore!!!

I am hopelessly behind so I apologize if I have missed anything.

Saw this dress and had to post! I love this butterfly fabric!!! I just finished the Grace Dress from YCMT for my niece (18mos) using this same fabric and some purple. I had left over fabric from another Grace Dress that I am making for DD with this same fabric as one of the ruffles. Oiy, those ruffles take a while.

I really like the pattern you used though, looks very comfy! Which pattern is it, I think I have seen it around?

Here's a couple of pictures of the Grace dress I made for DN. I hand-appliqued the butterfly's on with my machine, 1st time using my machine for the applique. Labor of love:

So pretty, I love the appliqued butterflies. My DD has that same fabric for the tie backs on her curtains and on a message board we made for her. Love it in a dress!

Where is the best place to get Marathon thread? I looked on Amazon but didn't see it. Any supply or other thread brand suggestions for items found on Amazon? I love Amazon prime and having supplies show up at my door in 2 days! Still haven't pulled the machine out the box. Guess I'm a little overwhelmed at getting started!
I see Flora responded. I purchased mine on-line from Marathon.

So many tons of things have been posted and all I did was go to Texas to see my new house and I missed so much ! Everything looks so amazing and I can't wait to make more things but I don't think I will be doing any more of my own stuff anytime soon. Maybe I will make a nursing cover for my sister since she had her baby last week and I didn't want to leave when I visited. My new niece is so cute ! Me with my two nieces.

I also gave my brother my other nieces outfits for her birthday. I tried them on her and they fit her perfectly.

I sent my brother home with all 3 things and when I made the offer to my SIL to ask her photographer if she would trade the tutu and tulle dress for photographs, she responded that she didn't know she had them. She had seen the pic on facebook but didn't realize that I made them for her DD and it was at her house. She is looking forward to when her DH finally gives the box to her.

Texas is wonderful and I can't wait to go, I might be saying the opposite in a year or two but so far I love it ! My new house is gorgeous and passed inspections with only little things like burnt bulbs, nothing major. I even got to hit a moving sale and brought home about 50 yards of fabric that I only paid $20 for. Most are 1 and 2 yard increments but I got 5 or 6 3-5 yard pieces of some great colors and designs including some cars and some Rudolph. It's a pity it will all get packed away for the move before I use any of it. My new sewing room is huge though and really tall ceiling so it will be fun to decorate.

All these upcoming Disney trips are making me want to go too. I received a Figment my DS designed in my email yesterday. He sent it to me about 17 months ago when we were in Epcot for Christmas 2011. It was delayed a little bit.
Your nieces are so cute. How awesome that you got everything figured out with the house. I hope you are very happy there. It sounds like you will have lots to sew and a great place to do it in.

Just stopping by to post a quick hello. The girls did a fantastic job at their bat mitzvah last weekend. I was so proud of them. The party also went off without a hitch. We still have a house full of company and will for another several days. Then they will start departing for home. Hopefully I can catch up on here in the next few days.

D- I saw that you might be getting an embroidery machine. Even if you do your appliques by hand, the help with the lettering will be fantastic!
Glad everything went well with the bat mitzvah and the party. Enjoy your guests.

I must have potato head fabric!!!!!

Ok, done drooling.
I've only got 18 days left before we leave, so I've had to get busy.

Jammies

The Hulk for that "other park" for little miss and brother

I bought t-shirts with the muscles off of Walmart's clearance rack - of course they didn't have the right sizes so I had to shrink one and used the other as an applique on a larger shirt.
Those shirts / outfits are so awesome. We are headed to that "other" park in about two weeks. I'm kind of excited but still have lots of sewing to do.

My mom got the first outfit done & it's for my 2 yr old son!! I love it!!! So excited for her to get the rest done!!

th_null-17.jpg
How cute, the tie is perfect.

After a marathon week of sewing, I finished everything I had hoped to complete for our beach trip! We drove all day!! yesterday, but made it safely and enjoyed the beach today! The kids are loving it!

This is just a little dress I picked up at Walmart for dd. I added her monogram:
th_image-16.jpg

I picked up a $1 hat at Dollar Tree and added my monogram to it:
th_image-12.jpg

One of the touristy things we'll be doing is attending the Pirates Voyage show. (Similar to Medieval Time or Dixie Stampede). The boys have pirate ship shirts, but dd didn't have anything, so I made this for her:

I finally removed the Santa Mickey heads from our fleece jackets and replaced them with these for the summer:

And, these are the outfits I'm most excited about. I had to line the shorts, so I actually made 6 pairs of shorts to complete these 3, but I'm very happy with the results! The boys' shorts are the Mud Puddle Splashers by FishSticks. Dd's are Easy Fits.
th_image-14.jpg

I was not thrilled with that sandcastle design, but I think it's because we're so spoiled by HeatherSue! Too many unnecessary jumps in the sandcastle.

Hope you all have a great week!
Regards,
C.
Cute dress and hat. Are you guys in Myrtle Beach? Hope the weather has improved. I love the matching out fits and I am a sucker for seersucker. Perfect. Great idea to update the jackets to a summer theme.

Ladies,
Thanks in advance!
Erin
I think some have used the simply sweet as a starting point for that dress.

We got the dates for my daughter's wish trip finally and we're going July 20. Does anyone know of a pattern to make mouse ears? They all want them, but with seven kids we can't buy them each one. If you know of any patterns, please let me know! Thanks
I've never seen a pattern but Flora has made some and attached them to a hat (I am over simplifying here). I think you could use felt and attached to a hairband for the girls and maybe hats for the boys.

After a marathon week of sewing, I finished everything I had hoped to complete for our beach trip! We drove all day!! yesterday, but made it safely and enjoyed the beach today! The kids are loving it!

I picked up a $1 hat at Dollar Tree and added my monogram to it:
image-12.jpg

Hope you all have a great week!
Regards,
C.

I need to make/get myself a sun hat and this is a great idea!
Have Fun at the Beach!

Thanks! I am very pleased with being able to fix the machine. It certainly gives me the confidence in restoring and using a vintage machine when I come across one. Given the success, I wonder if I should add tinker fairy to my resume :rotfl: (in addition to Flora the fairy, of course).

It would be terrible if you and your girls did not have your own special bags! At the same time, you should be able to get quite a few things done in 6 weeks. I would come and have a sew-a-thon with you if I lived closer, though I am not sure if I would be of much help!

It's amazing how much fluff can find it's way into machines, even when you clean them regularly. Congrats for being able to fix it!

I'd second the sew-a-thon, but I'm way down here in AL and second the questioning how much help I'd be.

This is awesome. I wonder if I could get away with something like that in adult size?

I feel so behind with everything sewing: summer at the science center takes it's toll on how much time/energy I have for working with sewing.

Love to see everyone's stuff and plans.

That is such a great idea - I love it!

We did a mickey minnie birthday party for my twins 2nd birthday and I made all the kids Mickey and Minnie ears using head bands.

I based it on this tutorial http://www.thesuburbanmom.com/2010/06/16/how-to-make-mickey-minnie-mouse-ears-for-a-party/

I didnt use felt - I made the ears out of craft foam and didnt cover them with felt but I was making 25 so I tried to cut out as many steps as possible. I also bought black head bands (bought them on Amazon in bulk) so I didnt have to cover them with anything. If you arent making as many you probably could end more detail and personalize them for everyone.

Kelly

Hello again to my wonderful sewing inspirational friends. My twins have recently decided that napping is not for them and preschool is out for the summer so I havent been getting much accomplished recently even though we leave in just a few weeks for our trip. I am still frantically learning how to use my 770 to finish some shirts for the trip but the 1 hour increments where I get to work and have to put everything away makes it a challenge.

I was having terrible problems with my hoop not snapping in but ordered the Elipse hoop and it works so much easier.

Here is my one project that I have actually completed - A cindrella Simply Sweet.

I had a terrible time trying to attached the peblum and skirt - I broke three needles and I am sure it was because of all the gathers in the peblum - does anyone have any advice on that - I have a second one to make for my niece this week. I do tlove how it turned out as long as you dont look at the horrible seam on the inside!

Again - loving everything that everyone is making - just never enough time to come back and comment like I would like.

Hope everyone is having a great Tuesday and staying safe in all the crazy weather.

Kelly

Cute dress and hat. Are you guys in Myrtle Beach? Hope the weather has improved. I love the matching out fits and I am a sucker for seersucker. Perfect. Great idea to update the jackets to a summer theme.

Thanks! Yes, we're in MB. We've had rain most days, but we've still been able to enjoy the beach and pool, so nothing worth complaining about. :). We rode the Skywheel tonight. Kids LOVED it!

That Snow White t dress is adorable!

Good luck with Mickey ears. I think adding double felt circles to red or black baseball caps would be super cute! Maybe puffy paint names, and ribbon bows for the girls?

Regards,
C.

Ladies,
Thanks in advance!
Erin

I have seen them with the Simply Sweet as a base.

Congrats on getting the dates for your trip. I am not sure what kinds of Mouse Ears you want to make. They could be as simple as headband style to more complex with a hat. I make custom "ears" for DH and I as we wanted ears with sun protection (I get sunburn very easily). This is a picture of me wearing the hat from last year (with my Minnie Rosetta and Minnie-inspired Rebecca dress):

StepSisters.jpg

This is a picture of me with the sorceror ears at Disneyland (purchased hat, added covers for the ears as the original ears have the swirls like the hat at DHS and added the Minnie bow). Again, the Minnie Rosetta was there, as well as my Disney music skirt.

1AstroOrbiter2.jpg

Hopefully these will give you some ideas. I am not sure if I would tackle 6 sets of bucket hat styled ears though, they were quite a bit of pain to make. The bucket hat styled ears are now on version 2.1 and I am still not 100% happy with them.

th_IMG_20130521_091858_142.jpg

Great job on the Snow White t-shirt dress! You did a great job on it. If I make anything knee length or shorter, I always make them into skorts since I am not graceful enough to move around without the risk of showing off more than I planned! :lmao:

It's amazing how much fluff can find it's way into machines, even when you clean them regularly. Congrats for being able to fix it!

I'd second the sew-a-thon, but I'm way down here in AL and second the questioning how much help I'd be.

This is awesome. I wonder if I could get away with something like that in adult size?

I feel so behind with everything sewing: summer at the science center takes it's toll on how much time/energy I have for working with sewing.

Love to see everyone's stuff and plans.

Thanks. I also second the question in terms of adults wearing princess-inspired T-shirt dresses! I hope you are having fun at the Science Centre. We have a new one which opened last year and I still haven't been to it yet. I plan to go some time before kids get out for summer (kids are in school until the end of June here, but they don't go back until after Labour Day).

Here is my one project that I have actually completed - A cindrella Simply Sweet.
th_IMG_0573_zps32e54834.jpg

I had a terrible time trying to attached the peblum and skirt - I broke three needles and I am sure it was because of all the gathers in the peblum - does anyone have any advice on that - I have a second one to make for my niece this week. I do tlove how it turned out as long as you dont look at the horrible seam on the inside!

Again - loving everything that everyone is making - just never enough time to come back and comment like I would like.

Hope everyone is having a great Tuesday and staying safe in all the crazy weather.

Kelly

Great job on the dress. I am not sure if I have any good suggestions for the peplum as I have never done anything like that before. I don't think I have ever run into problems like that with ruffles, though your peplum may have more gathers than the ruffles? Were the gathers even? What type of needle was used? Perhaps the needle was too fine for the thickness (thicker materials need needles with larger diameters. I usually sew with size 12 needles but I would go up to 14 or even 16 when I work with thicker materials. I hope this helps!

I don't see why adults couldn't wear princess t-shirt dresses. No one would mistake you for a CM, which I have read is why they don't allow adults in costumes.

I had a terrible time trying to attached the peblum and skirt - I broke three needles and I am sure it was because of all the gathers in the peblum - does anyone have any advice on that - I have a second one to make for my niece this week. I do love how it turned out as long as you dont look at the horrible seam on the inside!

The best advice I have for the needle problem is to go slooooow. When I'm sewing leather, sometimes I just turn the hand wheel to go over layers. I'm not sure how many of those layers you are sewing at one time, but is there a way you can attach the peplum to just one layer and then sew that to the rest. You could also try grading your seams when you're done so there's not so much bulk. Good luck and I'm sending you :goodvibes

LOL... I know - the choices are endless, and all of them are fun...

Hello again to my wonderful sewing inspirational friends. My twins have recently decided that napping is not for them and preschool is out for the summer so I havent been getting much accomplished recently even though we leave in just a few weeks for our trip. I am still frantically learning how to use my 770 to finish some shirts for the trip but the 1 hour increments where I get to work and have to put everything away makes it a challenge.

I was having terrible problems with my hoop not snapping in but ordered the Elipse hoop and it works so much easier.

Kelly

That turned out great! I agree with the pp... go slow... Also, try to make sure your gathers are even through out - that way you won't be going through some extra thick layers at times.

Very cute!

I think you could Ruth... I am actually formulating a plan... I have a tee shirt that I wore on my last trip that I love - but it's a man's tee, and since it will be hot (and I prefer tank tops) - I've been trying to figure out how hard it would be to make it more girly and more of a tank top... I think I've come up with something - but Lord only knows when I will actually get to it... Maybe this weekend I will try??? After all - it is my "week off." :rolleyes1

D~

Kelly

The dress is adorable. I agree with the advice already given about attaching the peplum.

Kelly

I really like this dress!! You did a fantastic job. As others have said, a stronger needle would help I think. Something to be used with denim should do the trick. And of course going slowly always helps.:thumbsup2

I just typed out a long answer, and it disappeared!

On adding the peplum to a Simply Sweet...the way I do it is to not use the interliner on the bodice for starters (that cuts down one layer) Then I add the peplum to the skirt and serge. Then add the skirt to the bodice only (not the liner). Then fold the lining up and hand stitch into place to cover the seam.

Go slow and use a larger needle...

I promise my longer post made more sense...but I am out of time this morning...maybe someone else knows what I am talking about and can write it in a way that makes sense...

Nini

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter