Disboutiquers Part 30 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

First of all thanks for all the great inspiration. I have been sewing for the past 3 year making quilts, wedding table runners, skirts, outfits, pants, pajamas etc. with my very old Husqvarna sewing machine from about 1985. It's a good little workhorse I got from my great grandmother and until it truly falls apart I don't want to part with it.

However, after learning about the appliqué process with the embroidery machine I am very intrigued to start adding that to my repertoire. Can anyone recommend a great embroidery machine with computer connect ability (preferably via thumb drive or wifi) that will let me start doing computer appliqué.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

(FYI: I looked at the beginning of the thread to make sure this wasn't a stupid question. The only machine advice I saw was for the sewing machine. If this was asked before I am very sorry)

First of all thanks for all the great inspiration. I have been sewing for the past 3 year making quilts, wedding table runners, skirts, outfits, pants, pajamas etc. with my very old Husqvarna sewing machine from about 1985. It's a good little workhorse I got from my great grandmother and until it truly falls apart I don't want to part with it.

However, after learning about the appliqué process with the embroidery machine I am very intrigued to start adding that to my repertoire. Can anyone recommend a great embroidery machine with computer connect ability (preferably via thumb drive or wifi) that will let me start doing computer appliqué.

(FYI: I looked at the beginning of the thread to make sure this wasn't a stupid question. The only machine advice I saw was for the sewing machine. If this was asked before I am very sorry)

Well, first of all - as I've learned myself - no question here is a stupid question, we all learn from eachother and I think that's how we all continue to grow.

As long as your machine can zig-zag, you can hand applique with it... Just follow Heather Sue's most awesome tutorial in the first post - I think that most of us who picked up how to hand applique learned from her tutorial. :thumbsup2

Now, if you are looking for an actual embroidery machine, most everyone here recommends the Brother SE400 (4x6 hoop, and connects to computer via a cable - as I just learned last week)... Or the Brother PE770 (5x7 hoop connects to computer via thumb drive)... It's been said to get the biggest hoops size you can afford to get... So that is why I have had my sights on the 770 for well over 2 years, but I have yet to take the plunge (I am very close though). I know there are bigger hoop sizes out there, but I am not sure which machines are recommended for those? I am sure someone else here can tell you.

HOpe that helps a little bit. :thumbsup2

D~

Just stopping by to post a quick hello. The girls did a fantastic job at their bat mitzvah last weekend. I was so proud of them. The party also went off without a hitch. We still have a house full of company and will for another several days. Then they will start departing for home. Hopefully I can catch up on here in the next few days.

D- I saw that you might be getting an embroidery machine. Even if you do your appliques by hand, the help with the lettering will be fantastic!

I'm so happy for you that it all went well! Can't wait to see pics!

I purchased a tutorial from the Etsy shop "toosweetspatterns" - sugar ruffle tank. The first attempt I sewed the front and back panels together the wrong way, so it was too skinny (oops) :rotfl:, but once I figured that out, I made her 2 more eventually. The tutorial has several sizes, I bought the lager sizes for DD and adjusted down a bit since she was 5T at the time. It is super cute. I remember being so intimidated by the ruffle at the top. Now I love ruffles, but man, they are a killer on a size 6 Grace ruffle dress! :crazy2:

Here's the Tink top I made with the pattern for our Disney trip:

Oh and button holes are crazy - I took out like 10 sets of stitches on the button holes before being satisfied with the placement! I need more practice on those for sure! :scared: (none on the shirt above, but they are on the Grace dress pattern)

The gathering I haven't conquered quite yet. I did a VERY tricky Kwik Sew dress pattern where I added gathers. I ended up needing my mom's help on the gathers and zipper appearance (Belle-inspired sundress), and in the end it's still too big/wide in the bodice for DD.:sad2:

Hand (hand) appliqueing is super fun, and I've done some of that before taking on a sewing machine, now I am on to conquering hand (sewing machine) appliqueing. It's much more tricky, but love that it can be done much more quickly. I see so many embroidered designs on here, that I just can't resist trying it out on my own when I can. Plus my mom has a (fancy) embroidery machine but lives 3 states away. I love to just buy embroidery designs and have her send them to me to sew on things so I don't have to worry about her placement of said designs, etc.:rolleyes1

Very cute top! And I loved the butterfly dress, too!

I must have potato head fabric!!!!!

Ok, done drooling.
I've only got 18 days left before we leave, so I've had to get busy.

Jammies

The Hulk for that "other park" for little miss and brother

I bought t-shirts with the muscles off of Walmart's clearance rack - of course they didn't have the right sizes so I had to shrink one and used the other as an applique on a larger shirt.

Wow! Those Hulk outfits are so creative! They should garner a lot of attention!

My mom got the first outfit done & it's for my 2 yr old son!! I love it!!! So excited for her to get the rest done!!

th_null-17.jpg

Aww! Very cute!

So some of you may remember that I have a Brother CS-8060 in addition to my 270D but it was skipping stitches in a major way about a year ago. I finally decided to take it apart today and try to fix it. Guess what? I managed to fix it after taking it apart and cleaning it out (the amount of lint in there was incredible even though I cleaned it regularly). I am super happy that I can use that machine again!

Yay for repairing your machine all by yourself! That is the best feeling!

As D said, the Brother PE770 is a great starter machine! I bought mine last fall and she's already approaching 2 million stitches. I gave her a week off! ;). It does use a USB drive.

Regards,
C.

Thanks all for the quick advice. I am currently working a hand appliqué on a pair of PJ pants for DH. I am hoping I will get a real machine soon. I was spoiled growing up with a best friend whose mom had an embroidery machine. I would watch it for hours. I still have some of the stuff she made and can't wait to make my own things.

After a marathon week of sewing, I finished everything I had hoped to complete for our beach trip! We drove all day!! yesterday, but made it safely and enjoyed the beach today! The kids are loving it!

This is just a little dress I picked up at Walmart for dd. I added her monogram:
image-16.jpg

I picked up a $1 hat at Dollar Tree and added my monogram to it:
image-12.jpg

One of the touristy things we'll be doing is attending the Pirates Voyage show. (Similar to Medieval Time or Dixie Stampede). The boys have pirate ship shirts, but dd didn't have anything, so I made this for her:
image-13.jpg

I finally removed the Santa Mickey heads from our fleece jackets and replaced them with these for the summer:
image-17.jpg

And, these are the outfits I'm most excited about. I had to line the shorts, so I actually made 6 pairs of shorts to complete these 3, but I'm very happy with the results! The boys' shorts are the Mud Puddle Splashers by FishSticks. Dd's are Easy Fits.
image-14.jpg

Design close-up:
image-15.jpg

I was not thrilled with that sandcastle design, but I think it's because we're so spoiled by HeatherSue! Too many unnecessary jumps in the sandcastle. :)

Hope you all have a great week!
Regards,
C.

Can anyone recommend a great embroidery machine with computer connect ability (preferably via thumb drive or wifi) that will let me start doing computer appliqué.

I have the Brother (270D) with the Disney designs that only has a 4x4 hoop. It is a really simple machine to work with, but 4x4 is just not big enough. I also have my mother's Husqvarna Platinum which I will soon be trading for her Husqvarna Diamond. The Platinum is pretty easy to use, but it doesn't have very good features for placing the embroidery where you want it on the item. The Diamond is more complicated to use (which is why I'm getting it), but if you don't have a problem remembering how to do things, it is a great machine (pretty pricey though - way more than I would have been able to pay). My mother just switched to a Baby Lock Ellissimo, which from the little bit I've played with it and from reading the book, is going to be super simple to use. It's a bit less expensive than the Diamond, but still quite an investment.

The 270D and platinum use a card system to put designs on them (you have to have the reader and a blank card), and the Diamond and Ellissimo use thumb drives. The Ellissimo can use a usb cable as well.

After a marathon week of sewing, I finished everything I had hoped to complete for our beach trip! We drove all day!! yesterday, but made it safely and enjoyed the beach today! The kids are loving it!

image-12.jpg

Congrats on getting everything done. I sat down yesterday and figured out what I still have to do and how many sewing days I have left - as long as no one plans any extra "activities" for me between now and then, I'll be ok if I finish one thing a day.

I love those dollar tree hats, but I never thought about embroidering them. Great idea!

Thanks everyone for the comments on his outfit! I love it!! She's in the middle of skirts for my dds & another pair of shorts for my ds so hopefully she will finish those tomorrow!!! :))

This is just a little dress I picked up at Walmart for dd. I added her monogram:

One of the touristy things we'll be doing is attending the Pirates Voyage show. (Similar to Medieval Time or Dixie Stampede). The boys have pirate ship shirts, but dd didn't have anything, so I made this for her:

I finally removed the Santa Mickey heads from our fleece jackets and replaced them with these for the summer:

And, these are the outfits I'm most excited about. I had to line the shorts, so I actually made 6 pairs of shorts to complete these 3, but I'm very happy with the results! The boys' shorts are the Mud Puddle Splashers by FishSticks. Dd's are Easy Fits.

Design close-up:

I was not thrilled with that sandcastle design, but I think it's because we're so spoiled by HeatherSue! Too many unnecessary jumps in the sandcastle. :)

Regards,
C.

Adorable!! I like everything!!

th_image-16.jpg

th_image-12.jpg

th_image-13.jpg

th_image-17.jpg

th_image-14.jpg

Design close-up:
th_image-15.jpg

Regards,
C.

I love everything, and how clever to use a hat from the dollar tree and then fancy it up! I especially love the last outfits. They are super cute and well done! Glad you made it safely and it's going well so far. Enjoy!:beach:

th_image-16.jpg

th_image-12.jpg

th_image-13.jpg

th_image-17.jpg

th_image-14.jpg

Design close-up:
th_image-15.jpg

Regards,
C.

Carrie.... I love all of it. I especially love how you used seersucker in everything! All of the little outfits are adorable - but I just love the coordinating ones the best - I used to love dressing my girls in matching/coordinating outfits. And great idea repurposing your fleece jackets - did you embroider them on felt first and then straight stitch the designs on? I was thinking of doing that with a few things for the girls for our trip, because at their age, I know they'd never wear anything with Disney on it at home. :confused3 Anyways - great job - LOVE all of it!

D~

I LOVE my Brother 770 so much I bought a a second one!

Nini

After I posted I see I did not grab Carrie's post....

Carrie...I am having a terrible time getting my daughter to wear a sun hat...she is 13 and they are not 'cool'. She is prone to freckles (terribly so! and she hates them!) You just gave me an idea to get her to wear one...I will embroider a mustache on one! She will wear anything with a mustache! Now to find a Mustache embroidery file...I have several applique ones.....hmmm

Thanks for the inspiration!

Nini

I think I may have missed quoting a page...

Ok, done drooling.

Jammies

I bought t-shirts with the muscles off of Walmart's clearance rack - of course they didn't have the right sizes so I had to shrink one and used the other as an applique on a larger shirt.

Super cute! And great job repurposing the shirts!

My mom got the first outfit done & it's for my 2 yr old son!! I love it!!! So excited for her to get the rest done!!

th_null-17.jpg

This turned out great!

I finally made my list yesterday of the customs I need to make for this trip... Due to my hectic schedule, I cannot start them until after 4th of July weekend (which gives me about 6 weeks to work around other custom orders). I am very nervous that I am not doing to get it all done...

According to my calculations, I need: 1 camera bag... 2 modified UPBs (+ 2 more, if I have the time)... 3 wallets... (all of the bags and wallets will have very detailed hand appliques that need to be added to them, as well)... 3 lanyards... 1 camera strap... 1 (maybe, if I have the time) camera bag insert... + I have about 15 tank tops I am hoping to straight stitch some felt appliques on, which Chiara is whipping up for me. :scratchin I am very nervous - with all my custom orders, I won't have time to get all of this done. Thankfully, I ordered a bunch of accessories from a good friend - and those should start arriving this week - I cannot WAIT to see them!

Sorry for the ramble... So please... Boost my confidence and tell me that I will be able to get all of this done... LOL Because - could you imagine if the girls and I went to Disney, and I just coulnd't find the time to make us our own bags? That would be bad...

D~

Ok, done drooling.

Jammies

Those are great outfits.

th_null-17.jpg

That is an adorable outfit.

th_image-16.jpg

th_image-12.jpg

th_image-13.jpg

th_image-17.jpg

th_image-14.jpg

Design close-up:
th_image-15.jpg

Regards,
C.

Wow you were busy. I like everything.

Thanks PurpleEars, I found a Jon Jon in his closet that she is going to use as a pattern.

Glad that your mom found something that she could use. I can't wait to see the pictures!

That is so awesome Flora! I am so glad you got it working again!

D~

Glad you can use the tutorial. They are super quick and easy!

Here are pics of our lunch at BOG:

I'm so glad you were able to fix your machine. I'm sure that felt like such a great accomplishment! Good for you.:banana::banana::banana:

Yay for repairing your machine all by yourself! That is the best feeling!

Regards,
C.

Thanks! I am very pleased with being able to fix the machine. It certainly gives me the confidence in restoring and using a vintage machine when I come across one. Given the success, I wonder if I should add tinker fairy to my resume :rotfl: (in addition to Flora the fairy, of course).

Lois - I will let you know how the cape making goes. Thanks for posting the pictures of food at the BoG. That salad looks great! I was hesitant to go there because we hardly eat deep fried foods and there were quite a few things that looked like they were deep fried. The cupcakes look great. I hope they are as good as the ones at Starring Rolls or at Contempo.

Welcome! There is no such thing as a stupid question. I would suggest the Brother 770 given the positive reviews I have seen around here. It has a thumb drive connection. It does up to 5x7 in a single hooping, which should be more than adequate for most uses (unless you want to quilt with it). I have used larger embroideries in adult sized clothing if I want the applique to cover most of the item.

th_image-16.jpg

th_image-12.jpg

th_image-13.jpg

th_image-17.jpg

th_image-14.jpg

Design close-up:
th_image-15.jpg

Regards,
C.

Great job on everything! I like the sandcastle set the best. It's too bad that you are not happy with the design. Great job on repurposing the fleece jackets. I hope your family is having a great time at the beach!

I finally made my list yesterday of the customs I need to make for this trip... Due to my hectic schedule, I cannot start them until after 4th of July weekend (which gives me about 6 weeks to work around other custom orders). I am very nervous that I am not doing to get it all done...

According to my calculations, I need: 1 camera bag... 2 modified UPBs (+ 2 more, if I have the time)... 3 wallets... (all of the bags and wallets will have very detailed hand appliques that need to be added to them, as well)... 3 lanyards... 1 camera strap... 1 (maybe, if I have the time) camera bag insert... + I have about 15 tank tops I am hoping to straight stitch some felt appliques on, which Chiara is whipping up for me. :scratchin I am very nervous - with all my custom orders, I won't have time to get all of this done. Thankfully, I ordered a bunch of accessories from a good friend - and those should start arriving this week - I cannot WAIT to see them!

Sorry for the ramble... So please... Boost my confidence and tell me that I will be able to get all of this done... LOL Because - could you imagine if the girls and I went to Disney, and I just coulnd't find the time to make us our own bags? That would be bad...

D~

It would be terrible if you and your girls did not have your own special bags! At the same time, you should be able to get quite a few things done in 6 weeks. I would come and have a sew-a-thon with you if I lived closer, though I am not sure if I would be of much help!

Ha ha I'm here! Better late than never!

I need to get started on vS customs for August!

Thank you, everyone! Erin, that's the fabric I bought when we met up! :)

I think matching up my kids has become an obsession. I do it automatically, even with their play clothes. The boys are so used to it, they ask each other which matching shirt the other wants to wear that day. Lol! Oh well, I know there will come a time where they won't let me, so I'm enjoying it now for all it's worth!

(And, I've even got dh trained that on vacation, we coordinate. He just came to ask me what today's outfit was supposed to be. ;p)

Nini - so glad to spark an idea for you! FYI, I used tearaway in the hoop, sprayed, pinned hat, and ultra solvy on the top. Very easy!

It's pouring rain, the kids are napping after swimming most of the morning, and dh and I are enjoying the sound of the surf from the balcony!

Have a great day, everyone!

Regards,
C.

Carrie.... I love all of it. I especially love how you used seersucker in everything! All of the little outfits are adorable - but I just love the coordinating ones the best - I used to love dressing my girls in matching/coordinating outfits. And great idea repurposing your fleece jackets - did you embroider them on felt first and then straight stitch the designs on? I was thinking of doing that with a few things for the girls for our trip, because at their age, I know they'd never wear anything with Disney on it at home. :confused3 Anyways - great job - LOVE all of it!

D~

Thanks, D!

Yes, I did the beach balls on felt, then stitched them onto the coats. I had done the same thing before our Disney trip last year and it worked out great.

Oh, and as far as getting everything done for your trip, you are so organized and by now, know exactly how long a single bag takes, etc, so I'd think you'd be able to schedule everything out pretty easily. Good luck with it all!

Regards,
C.

I concur with everyone else on the pe770. Great starter machine and the thumb drive connection is great.

Thanks all for the quick advice. I am currently working a hand appliqué on a pair of PJ pants for DH. I am hoping I will get a real machine soon. I was spoiled growing up with a best friend whose mom had an embroidery machine. I would watch it for hours. I still have some of the stuff she made and can't wait to make my own things.
It's totally addictive, be warned! You will want to embellish everything!

Design close-up:

Regards,
C.
I love all the outfits. I just printed out the fish sticks shorts pattern to start our Disney outfits (for October/November) as a change of pace from easy fits. I am trying to branch put from Carla c, doing some stuff other than bowling shirts and easy fits! I love how your sets came out.

I think I may have missed quoting a page...

Super cute! And great job repurposing the shirts!

This turned out great!

D~
I've started buying fabric for our trip in 5+ months and have a stack going that's overwhelming to look at. So much to do! You'll get it all
Done I'm sure.

Thank you, everyone! Erin, that's the fabric I bought when we met up! :)

I think matching up my kids has become an obsession. I do it automatically, even with their play clothes. The boys are so used to it, they ask each other which matching shirt the other wants to wear that day. Lol! Oh well, I know there will come a time where they won't let me, so I'm enjoying it now for all it's worth!

(And, I've even got dh trained that on vacation, we coordinate. He just came to ask me what today's outfit was supposed to be. ;p)

Nini - so glad to spark an idea for you! FYI, I used tearaway in the hoop, sprayed, pinned hat, and vilene on the top. Very easy!

It's pouring rain, the kids are napping after swimming most of the morning, and dh and I are enjoying the sound of the surf from the balcony!

Have a great day, everyone!

Regards,
C.
We always dressed my boys matching or coordinating as infants because its cute. Now we do it to stop fights. If we only had ONE captain America t-shirt there would be unbelievable fallout. And making 2 at a time just seems normal
To me now. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I was planning to screen print basic Mickey heads on tshirts to wear to Epcot and sew bows on the girls' to make them into Minnies. Cute idea, right?
But no, you all have to mention Heather Sue's embroideries. I go to look for Timon and Pumba for Animal Kingdom day - and what do I see? Mickey heads in every possible style, including one in a sailor hat which I must now make for my retired Navy Hubby. Needless to say, I am now going to embroider those shirts instead. And everyone's shirt will be different - as soon as I narrow down the choices to only 7.:scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter