Disboutiquers Part 30 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

D~
I have used Embird for years they have a great design organizer that lets you see icons of the designs without opening each design. You can merge fonts and designs and save in multiple formats. You can also use it the rotate designs and mirror image. It also has a design converter. If you purchase a design in one format you can convert it to almost any other. It comes with fonts and has 1000's of others to purchase as well. But with the converter and being able to merge you can buy designs and fonts anywhere and use them together. You can also buy plug ins for a font converter(keyboard fonts into embroidery fonts), digitizing and more. You start with the basic and then add what and when you want(if you want more).

It is easy to use and there are online support groups and tutorials that come with the purchase. They are very helpful. I bought it just for the conversion part as I have other digitizing software. I have had it more than 12 years and I am still surprised at what I can do with it. PM me if you have any more questions. Sorry but I am unfamiliar with others.

Thank you so much! At this point in time, I am just not sure how much I want to invest in a machine + software??? It's such a fine line, because the bulk of my business would still be hand applique, and I would only use an embroidery machine for accents on a bag, and not for the main applique... So, I find it hard to justify the cost of an embroidery machine + software, when the total cost of BOTH my machines combined was $75. :rotfl2: GAH!!! I think I go through this every few months, but now I am REALLY going through it, because I am using one, and I can see how useful it would be for me. :thumbsup2

Also the SE400 needs to plug into the laptop not a USB flash drive.

It is a great little machine. I use Embird too and love it.

OK - this is good info - thanks Chiara... I was under the impression that the 400 had a USB port too... Hmmm... Well, that definately brings me back to the 770...

I thought I would post pictures of my first endeavor with this loaned machine...

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

And then... FLORA and DIANE... Thank you so much for your recent conversation about this machine, I went back and read all of it... Flora, I discovered the same problems with my Embroidery cone attachment, and thankfully the thread stand - I barely made it through security with last summer in Charlotte - came in handy... I probably never would have thought to use that, if it wasn't for your picture. So, thanks a million! :lovestruc

IMG_0215.jpg

And finally - I have to show my latest bag, because I am in LOVE with it... I am so in love with it - that it's been added to my "wanted" items for our trip... If I can find the time to make the other 10 million items on that list first... :crazy2:

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone - and thanks for all the advice lately. :lovestruc

D~

20130513-214917.jpg

This is the dress I just completed. K was not a cooperative model but I am still hoping to catch a pic.

This is also a test to see if my image will work :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Saw this dress and had to post! I love this butterfly fabric!!! I just finished the Grace Dress from YCMT for my niece (18mos) using this same fabric and some purple. I had left over fabric from another Grace Dress that I am making for DD with this same fabric as one of the ruffles. Oiy, those ruffles take a while. :crazy2:

I really like the pattern you used though, looks very comfy! Which pattern is it, I think I have seen it around?

Here's a couple of pictures of the Grace dress I made for DN. I hand-appliqued the butterfly's on with my machine, 1st time using my machine for the applique. Labor of love:

How exciting that you got the new machine for Mother's Day. Lots of folks use Marathon brand thread but others use other brands. You might want to try a spool or two of a brand to see if you like it before you buy too much. I think there are bunch of You Tube videos about the PE 700 but I don't have that machine so I am not sure.

Where is the best place to get Marathon thread? I looked on Amazon but didn't see it. Any supply or other thread brand suggestions for items found on Amazon? I love Amazon prime and having supplies show up at my door in 2 days! Still haven't pulled the machine out the box. Guess I'm a little overwhelmed at getting started!

I thought I would post pictures of my first endeavor with this loaned machine...

th_IMG_0213.jpg

th_IMG_0214.jpg

th_IMG_0216.jpg

And then... FLORA and DIANE... Thank you so much for your recent conversation about this machine, I went back and read all of it... Flora, I discovered the same problems with my Embroidery cone attachment, and thankfully the thread stand - I barely made it through security with last summer in Charlotte - came in handy... I probably never would have thought to use that, if it wasn't for your picture. So, thanks a million! :lovestruc

th_IMG_0215.jpg

And finally - I have to show my latest bag, because I am in LOVE with it... I am so in love with it - that it's been added to my "wanted" items for our trip... If I can find the time to make the other 10 million items on that list first... :crazy2:

th_IMG_0218.jpg

th_IMG_0212.jpg

th_IMG_0222.jpg

D~

Thanks for sharing pictures of your project! It looks fantastic and I hope it generated lots of bits for the auction. I am glad that my thread stand trick worked for you. I guess I am simply too cheap to buy small spools of thread!

Saw this dress and had to post! I love this butterfly fabric!!! I just finished the Grace Dress from YCMT for my niece (18mos) using this same fabric and some purple. I had left over fabric from another Grace Dress that I am making for DD with this same fabric as one of the ruffles. Oiy, those ruffles take a while. :crazy2:

Here's a couple of pictures of the Grace dress I made for DN. I hand-appliqued the butterfly's on with my machine, 1st time using my machine for the applique. Labor of love:

You did a beautiful job with the Grace dress. I made a couple of them for a recent Give but I cheated and didn't do the ruffles on the back. The butterflies are beautiful!

Where is the best place to get Marathon thread? I looked on Amazon but didn't see it. Any supply or other thread brand suggestions for items found on Amazon? I love Amazon prime and having supplies show up at my door in 2 days! Still haven't pulled the machine out the box. Guess I'm a little overwhelmed at getting started!

I bought them straight from Marathon's website (marathon.com).

I really like the pattern you used though, looks very comfy! Which pattern is it, I think I have seen it around?

Beautiful dress! I love the butterflies - Incredible job! I can't believe it was your first time with the machine applique! :yay:

So many tons of things have been posted and all I did was go to Texas to see my new house and I missed so much ! Everything looks so amazing and I can't wait to make more things but I don't think I will be doing any more of my own stuff anytime soon. Maybe I will make a nursing cover for my sister since she had her baby last week and I didn't want to leave when I visited. My new niece is so cute ! Me with my two nieces.

I also gave my brother my other nieces outfits for her birthday. I tried them on her and they fit her perfectly.

I sent my brother home with all 3 things and when I made the offer to my SIL to ask her photographer if she would trade the tutu and tulle dress for photographs, she responded that she didn't know she had them. She had seen the pic on facebook but didn't realize that I made them for her DD and it was at her house. She is looking forward to when her DH finally gives the box to her.

Texas is wonderful and I can't wait to go, I might be saying the opposite in a year or two but so far I love it ! My new house is gorgeous and passed inspections with only little things like burnt bulbs, nothing major. I even got to hit a moving sale and brought home about 50 yards of fabric that I only paid $20 for. Most are 1 and 2 yard increments but I got 5 or 6 3-5 yard pieces of some great colors and designs including some cars and some Rudolph. It's a pity it will all get packed away for the move before I use any of it. My new sewing room is huge though and really tall ceiling so it will be fun to decorate.

All these upcoming Disney trips are making me want to go too. I received a Figment my DS designed in my email yesterday. He sent it to me about 17 months ago when we were in Epcot for Christmas 2011. It was delayed a little bit.

Thank you so much! At this point in time, I am just not sure how much I want to invest in a machine + software??? It's such a fine line, because the bulk of my business would still be hand applique, and I would only use an embroidery machine for accents on a bag, and not for the main applique... So, I find it hard to justify the cost of an embroidery machine + software, when the total cost of BOTH my machines combined was $75. :rotfl2: GAH!!! I think I go through this every few months, but now I am REALLY going through it, because I am using one, and I can see how useful it would be for me. :thumbsup2

OK - this is good info - thanks Chiara... I was under the impression that the 400 had a USB port too... Hmmm... Well, that definately brings me back to the 770...

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

D~

Cute bag!!!!

I am excited my mom is back home & she is starting sewing tomorrow on my kids Disney outfits!!!! :cool1:

http://s269.photobucket.com/user/honeybun_1008/media/photo2_zps6ac8e954.jpg.html
http://s269.photobucket.com/user/honeybun_1008/media/photo_zps2c140064.jpg.html

The pattern is simplicity 1669. Dd is 21 months but is comfortably in the 18 month size (large here). I love this style of dress so I hope I can find something similar in a bigger size.

I love seeing how you used the same fabric, what fun!! Those ruffles and appliqués are a labor of love for sure! Love that you used the butterflies for the appliqué what a great idea!

I love this fabric and I just couldn't resist it. I also bought some lilac with dragonflies. It called my name lol

20130513-214917.jpg

This is the dress I just completed. K was not a cooperative model but I am still hoping to catch a pic.

This is also a test to see if my image will work :)

The dress is very pretty.

Very pretty and the butterflies look great.

So many tons of things have been posted and all I did was go to Texas to see my new house and I missed so much ! Everything looks so amazing and I can't wait to make more things but I don't think I will be doing any more of my own stuff anytime soon. Maybe I will make a nursing cover for my sister since she had her baby last week and I didn't want to leave when I visited. My new niece is so cute ! Me with my two nieces.

I also gave my brother my other nieces outfits for her birthday. I tried them on her and they fit her perfectly.

I sent my brother home with all 3 things and when I made the offer to my SIL to ask her photographer if she would trade the tutu and tulle dress for photographs, she responded that she didn't know she had them. She had seen the pic on facebook but didn't realize that I made them for her DD and it was at her house. She is looking forward to when her DH finally gives the box to her.

Texas is wonderful and I can't wait to go, I might be saying the opposite in a year or two but so far I love it ! My new house is gorgeous and passed inspections with only little things like burnt bulbs, nothing major. I even got to hit a moving sale and brought home about 50 yards of fabric that I only paid $20 for. Most are 1 and 2 yard increments but I got 5 or 6 3-5 yard pieces of some great colors and designs including some cars and some Rudolph. It's a pity it will all get packed away for the move before I use any of it. My new sewing room is huge though and really tall ceiling so it will be fun to decorate.

All these upcoming Disney trips are making me want to go too. I received a Figment my DS designed in my email yesterday. He sent it to me about 17 months ago when we were in Epcot for Christmas 2011. It was delayed a little bit.

So cute!

I think I lost the quote for the Jiminy bag project, it looks great.

Welcome back. I am happy to hear that you like your new house and you will get a new sewing room! Your nieces look cute!

My mom is sewing!!! Yeah!!! Excited!!! 2 weeks from tomorrow we leave!!!!

How exciting! Please don't forget to post the pictures! ;)

4HppyCamprs said:
Thanks all :) I am probably extra excited but the dress is only the third outfit (4th thing altogether)I have sewn and the first that i was able to complete on my own without calling my MIL to translate the pattern. Super excited!

Oh that's even better! I just started sewing last summer, so I'm right there with ya. It's so addictive when you have a little girl to sew for!!! Try twirl skirts, they are super easy and fun to make. I started sewing by making DD an easy shirt followed by 3 skirts, one after another.

BTW, I am still calling my mom to translate or when things get extra tricky, but SO gratifying when I can conquer things for the 1st time - like zippers, button holes and machine appliqué. :)

Thanks for the pattern #, I'll have to check it out to see if it comes in big girl sizes. DD is a string bean for her age (4) and already in size 6. :S

Just stopping by to post a quick hello. The girls did a fantastic job at their bat mitzvah last weekend. I was so proud of them. The party also went off without a hitch. We still have a house full of company and will for another several days. Then they will start departing for home. Hopefully I can catch up on here in the next few days.

D- I saw that you might be getting an embroidery machine. Even if you do your appliques by hand, the help with the lettering will be fantastic!

Oh that's even better! I just started sewing last summer, so I'm right there with ya. It's so addictive when you have a little girl to sew for!!! Try twirl skirts, they are super easy and fun to make. I started sewing by making DD an easy shirt followed by 3 skirts, one after another.

BTW, I am still calling my mom to translate or when things get extra tricky, but SO gratifying when I can conquer things for the 1st time - like zippers, button holes and machine appliqué. :)

Thanks for the pattern #, I'll have to check it out to see if it comes in big girl sizes. DD is a string bean for her age (4) and already in size 6. :S

Thanks :) do you know what easy shirt you did? The first thing I made was a bubble skirt from a tutorial. Then the part where I did things backward lol I took on "hand appliqueing". Turned out pretty decent for zero previous sewing experience (does sewing on a button count?) then I picked a really cute outfit that had a zipper and lots of gathering and tiny armholes that also needed gathering. My MIL guided me and helped with the cap sleeves but I did it! She said I picked a pretty difficult one for my first. I have not done button holes yet but I think that is in my near future. So far I have done snaps on the few things that called for buttons.

Glad I am not the only one that has to call for translation! Sometimes it seems as if the skipped important words and the pictures don't make up for those words!

Thanks :) do you know what easy shirt you did? The first thing I made was a bubble skirt from a tutorial. Then the part where I did things backward lol I took on "hand appliqueing". Turned out pretty decent for zero previous sewing experience (does sewing on a button count?) then I picked a really cute outfit that had a zipper and lots of gathering and tiny armholes that also needed gathering. My MIL guided me and helped with the cap sleeves but I did it! She said I picked a pretty difficult one for my first. I have not done button holes yet but I think that is in my near future. So far I have done snaps on the few things that called for buttons.

Glad I am not the only one that has to call for translation! Sometimes it seems as if the skipped important words and the pictures don't make up for those words!

I purchased a tutorial from the Etsy shop "toosweetspatterns" - sugar ruffle tank. The first attempt I sewed the front and back panels together the wrong way, so it was too skinny (oops) :rotfl:, but once I figured that out, I made her 2 more eventually. The tutorial has several sizes, I bought the lager sizes for DD and adjusted down a bit since she was 5T at the time. It is super cute. I remember being so intimidated by the ruffle at the top. Now I love ruffles, but man, they are a killer on a size 6 Grace ruffle dress! :crazy2:

Here's the Tink top I made with the pattern for our Disney trip:

Oh and button holes are crazy - I took out like 10 sets of stitches on the button holes before being satisfied with the placement! I need more practice on those for sure! :scared: (none on the shirt above, but they are on the Grace dress pattern)

The gathering I haven't conquered quite yet. I did a VERY tricky Kwik Sew dress pattern where I added gathers. I ended up needing my mom's help on the gathers and zipper appearance (Belle-inspired sundress), and in the end it's still too big/wide in the bodice for DD.:sad2:

Hand (hand) appliqueing is super fun, and I've done some of that before taking on a sewing machine, now I am on to conquering hand (sewing machine) appliqueing. It's much more tricky, but love that it can be done much more quickly. I see so many embroidered designs on here, that I just can't resist trying it out on my own when I can. Plus my mom has a (fancy) embroidery machine but lives 3 states away. I love to just buy embroidery designs and have her send them to me to sew on things so I don't have to worry about her placement of said designs, etc.:rolleyes1

***Warning Vent**
Sorry to blow off steam here but knew you guys would understand. I have heard all of you ladies voice your dislike of your local Joann's store over the years and thought how nice mine was. Big Joanns Etc. We moved last summer and had a tiny store in an OLD run down shopping center. But they were putting a new one in our mall. YEAH. Well when the new one opened they only had about half the fabric selection the store is now full of "craft" and scrapbooking supplies. The staff are clueless and rude. They never have the sale signs up and when they do they may be from 2 or more weeks ago.

You may think I exaggerate but today I went to buy quilt batting by the yard only had one wide enough for a king size quilt. I had the cutting lady check the price before she cut it. The signs said $5.99 a yard it rang up $10.99 on sale. the whole area with batting had sale signs everywhere. Cutting lady could not figure out what was wrong called a manager. She could not figure what was wrong but said she could not give me the price on any of the signs because they were all ringing wrong. She said I had to wait until Monday (3 days) until a regular manager came in and she if she could figure it out.

Really. I was so mad I told her forget it. That is the ONLY fabric store within and hour of here. I guess I will have to start ordering fabric online. I hate not to feel the fabric before I buy and hate to pay shipping. Any way as I am leaving I look real close at the signs. Some listed the sale date ending on 5-4 two weeks ago and the others said 5-11. All still up but nothing for this week anywhere I saw in the store.

Rant over sorry. I did call customer service when I got home. They will report it to the district manager. :mad::mad::mad:

***Warning Vent**
Sorry to blow off steam here but knew you guys would understand. I have heard all of you ladies voice your dislike of your local Joann's store over the years and thought how nice mine was. Big Joanns Etc. We moved last summer and had a tiny store in an OLD run down shopping center. But they were putting a new one in our mall. YEAH. Well when the new one opened they only had about half the fabric selection the store is now full of "craft" and scrapbooking supplies. The staff are clueless and rude. They never have the sale signs up and when they do they may be from 2 or more weeks ago.

You may think I exaggerate but today I went to buy quilt batting by the yard only had one wide enough for a king size quilt. I had the cutting lady check the price before she cut it. The signs said $5.99 a yard it rang up $10.99 on sale. the whole area with batting had sale signs everywhere. Cutting lady could not figure out what was wrong called a manager. She could not figure what was wrong but said she could not give me the price on any of the signs because they were all ringing wrong. She said I had to wait until Monday (3 days) until a regular manager came in and she if she could figure it out.

Really. I was so mad I told her forget it. That is the ONLY fabric store within and hour of here. I guess I will have to start ordering fabric online. I hate not to feel the fabric before I buy and hate to pay shipping. Any way as I am leaving I look real close at the signs. Some listed the sale date ending on 5-4 two weeks ago and the others said 5-11. All still up but nothing for this week anywhere I saw in the store.

Rant over sorry. I did call customer service when I got home. They will report it to the district manager. :mad::mad::mad:

I order a fair amount online because I can't take my whirling dervish children to the fabric store most of the time or they wreck the place... I have used fabric.com and fatquartershop most, FQS is all very great quality quilt fabric, and they ship super fast. Fabric.com ships a lot slower and has a little of everything. They ship free over $35 which I NEVER have a hard time finding $35 worth of fabric I "need" and they have a decent amount of Disney/character stuff, and their prices are good.

***Warning Vent**

I have a nice Joann near me, chaotic and busy, but nice. We get folks from ALL over so it's crazy chaotic when there is a good sale. :rolleyes2 Fabric though, meh. I prefer to hit up Hobby Lobby when visiting my ILs in IA (4 hours away) or better yet, Fields in West MI when visiting my family (12 hour drive, once every other year or so) - so I can feel your pain. :( Do you have any quilt shops nearby for the batting?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter